Battlefield 3 - FREE for PS+ Members starting July 2nd!

Six feet away from an enemy and you can't kill someone with a knife swipe...this I hope they do not change at all. One of the good things that seperates BF from COD is knifing. Knifing has always been hard in BF as it should be. Don't look forward to any such patch anytime it would really hurt the game and just be ridiculous. Seriously SIX FEET and you want to be able to do a knife swipe kill??

[quote name='JungleRot']Six feet away from an enemy and you can't kill someone with a knife swipe...this I hope they do not change at all. One of the good things that seperates BF from COD is knifing. Knifing has always been hard in BF as it should be. Don't look forward to any such patch anytime it would really hurt the game and just be ridiculous. Seriously SIX FEET and you want to be able to do a knife swipe kill??[/QUOTE]
While I don't think the intention is to go to COD style knifing, it's just frustrating to chase somebody down who is also running just to make up less than a foot necessary to knife. The range is lacking and the power of a knife is pitiful head on, it should at least do a third of the health per strike rather than what it currently does, which is to say any attempt at knifing that isn't a takedown is largely useless. I watched one guy knife another at least 6 - 10 times before the guy died. Just really really dumb.

Besides, even people trained in knife fighting and knife defense knows you can close 21 feet give or take with a knife and stab somebody before they're able to deploy their side arm, muchless a video game where the draw is unrealistically quick every time.

[quote name='Mad39er']While I don't think the intention is to go to COD style knifing, it's just frustrating to chase somebody down who is also running just to make up less than a foot necessary to knife. The range is lacking and the power of a knife is pitiful head on, it should at least do a third of the health per strike rather than what it currently does, which is to say any attempt at knifing that isn't a takedown is largely useless. I watched one guy knife another at least 6 - 10 times before the guy died. Just really really dumb.

Besides, even people trained in knife fighting and knife defense knows you can close 21 feet give or take with a knife and stab somebody before they're able to deploy their side arm, muchless a video game where the draw is unrealistically quick every time.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I was mid reload when the guy ran out of bullets and I ran forward and tried to knife. As I said, I was about 6 feet away and it did nothing. I got off a few shots and then had to reload myself and he shot me. I just don't understand why I can't stab someone in the neck while facing them from 6 feet away...

[quote name='Mad39er']While I don't think the intention is to go to COD style knifing, it's just frustrating to chase somebody down who is also running just to make up less than a foot necessary to knife. The range is lacking and the power of a knife is pitiful head on, it should at least do a third of the health per strike rather than what it currently does, which is to say any attempt at knifing that isn't a takedown is largely useless. I watched one guy knife another at least 6 - 10 times before the guy died. Just really really dumb.

Besides, even people trained in knife fighting and knife defense knows you can close 21 feet give or take with a knife and stab somebody before they're able to deploy their side arm, muchless a video game where the draw is unrealistically quick every time.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying. If there is a patch that fixes the "fatal" knife blow I would be for that. To many times I have came up "behind" someone and been INSIDE arms reach and the fatal knife does not work.

But as far as the rest I disagree. I am in real life quite proficient with a knife and it has been my speciality for many many years. Anything over ten feet and it is useless and at ten feet still quite the gamble against an armed opponent and that is just throwing it. As far as "21 feet and closing the gap" it is possible but only against an opponent that has a holstered weapon that is buckled and the person is slow or unaware or unable to defend themselves even slightly.

In the game as I said a surprise knife thrust kill needs to be fixed as far as a six foot lunge killshot against an armeed opponnent that does NOT need to be fixed as it is just a ridiculous demand.

The third of health blow does not seem to bad and maybe a fourth would be appropriate for knife fights within arms length and the fatal knife blow for sneak attackes needs to be fixed. These two items I could see and agree needs fixing. :)

[quote name='JungleRot']But as far as the rest I disagree. I am in real life quite proficient with a knife and it has been my speciality for many many years. Anything over ten feet and it is useless and at ten feet still quite the gamble against an armed opponent and that is just throwing it. As far as "21 feet and closing the gap" it is possible but only against an opponent that has a holstered weapon that is buckled and the person is slow or unaware or unable to defend themselves even slightly.

In the game as I said a surprise knife thrust kill needs to be fixed as far as a six foot lunge killshot against an armeed opponnent that does NOT need to be fixed as it is just a ridiculous demand.[/QUOTE]
The 21 foot rule is actually pretty accurate considering it takes less than a second and a half for somebody motivated to move 21 feet. I think a dramatic tackle would be appropriate with a quick-time knife button prompt on the attacking side with a missed knife prompt resulting in a sidearm to the face. Will it happen? Not even likely.

Put like 60 hours into this game. Its one of the best 3 shooting games i have played online easily and i am now pissed i bought mw2 over bad company 2. Vietnam alone was probably superior to MW2 at it pisses me off just thinking about it.

[quote name='SynGamer']Exactly. I was mid reload when the guy ran out of bullets and I ran forward and tried to knife. As I said, I was about 6 feet away and it did nothing. I got off a few shots and then had to reload myself and he shot me. I just don't understand why I can't stab someone in the neck while facing them from 6 feet away...[/QUOTE]

I had a CAG witness several pages back from when i point blank knifed a guy and he turned around and killed me.

Thats probably just a modem thing, cause stuff like that happens in everygame when people play wireless or with radio shack modems. Its happened to me a few times but mostly because they were good players and wouldn't stand still ever and where constantly turning to survey the battlefield. The main issue in the game for me is when sound goes out and an mcomm gets bombed or a tank sneaks up on me because of this.

[quote name='Mr. 420']Thats probably just a modem thing, cause stuff like that happens in everygame when people play wireless or with radio shack modems. Its happened to me a few times but mostly because they were good players and wouldn't stand still ever and where constantly turning to survey the battlefield. The main issue in the game for me is when sound goes out and an mcomm gets bombed or a tank sneaks up on me because of this.[/QUOTE]

Yah, ive been meaning to look up that sound problem, happens to me alot! It sux, gets real quiet and after a min. or so the sound will come back. Anyone else having the same problem?

[quote name='6er']The time counter in stats is misleading as it only tracks time in a match[/QUOTE]

Isn't that what is supposed to be tracked? Time actually played, not time sitting around at the start menu or waiting for a game to start...

[quote name='SynGamer']Isn't that what is supposed to be tracked? Time actually played, not time sitting around at the start menu or waiting for a game to start...[/QUOTE]

No co op either though

Is anyone down to do all the co-op missions Friday or Saturday? I wanna knock these out.

[quote name='Blackout']Is anyone down to do all the co-op missions Friday or Saturday? I wanna knock these out.[/QUOTE]

What timezone are you at? I MIGHT be able to hop on Friday but I dont know when I'll get home from work. Traffic is usually bad on Fridays and I'm at PST. Saturday is a maybe for me. I think I have something going on but not 100%...if not what time SAT?

Good luck playing tonight everyone if you are on pS3. I just tryed to login and nothing. I heard it will (psn) be down until 10 pm pst.

BOOO!!!

[quote name='Blackout']Is anyone down to do all the co-op missions Friday or Saturday? I wanna knock these out.[/QUOTE]

ill be interested. send me an invite. unless im in a group already, ill join you.

actually i finished all except ch5 on hard. but i still need to get ch3 silent trophy. because you just cant really coordinate with someone else if theyre not mic'ed up. i try to time my kills when i hear their shot. we made it all the way to the cameras.

i still need one more ribbon. i can't believe its the stupid m-com defender. they practically have to be next to the mcom for it to count.

[quote name='JungleRot']Good luck playing tonight everyone if you are on pS3. I just tryed to login and nothing. I heard it will (psn) be down until 10 pm pst.

BOOO!!![/QUOTE]

ive been on most of the day. no issues so far

[quote name='Psykodelik']What timezone are you at? I MIGHT be able to hop on Friday but I dont know when I'll get home from work. Traffic is usually bad on Fridays and I'm at PST. Saturday is a maybe for me. I think I have something going on but not 100%...if not what time SAT?[/QUOTE]

I'm on Central time. If you want to play Friday I can do it after 9 for an hour or two. Saturday I can play around 6 or 7. Let me know.

[quote name='enufs8d']ill be interested. send me an invite. unless im in a group already, ill join you.

actually i finished all except ch5 on hard. but i still need to get ch3 silent trophy. because you just cant really coordinate with someone else if theyre not mic'ed up. i try to time my kills when i hear their shot. we made it all the way to the cameras.

[/QUOTE]

I'll send you an invite!

Anyone ever got the suppression ribbon? All the other ribbons I can see myself actually getting it, but suppression seems tricky. Any advice?

Also, I took everyones advice on conquest. Though I still drop a spawn beacon near enemies flag (usually a good way to start after death, capping the flag closest to the enemy spawn is usually easy) I am much more mobile. It appears I am playing better than before^^

The usas shotty is a beast in certain maps. I sprayed/hip fired like crazy at Davamand Peak map on cq in the tunnels when I saw 4 guys running towards me, I couldn't believe I got them all head on. There are so many little moments in this game which makes the game absolutely a blast to play. On one of the CQ map I jumped on top of enemies boat tank thing and people spawned they were helpless in the water; I got 6 cheap kills like that.

[quote name='cheap from birth']ive been on most of the day. no issues so far[/QUOTE]

You were one of the lucky ones :). The official announcement said that a few would still be able to play online but most would not. Oh well it's back up now...:applause:

Just got done playing a few rounds. Ended up winning a few, losing a few, but my major accomplishment so far has been a 449m marksman. Took about 7 or 8 rounds but I finally got him :D

Do you guys know what the upcoming patch would be? The most annoying glitch, for me, is that random weapon/gadget switch (along with c4 not arming). I died so many times cause I pulled out a defib/repair/etc in mid fire.

is there a site or what guns in your opinion are the best guns to use for each kit. I like support but most of the guns there are either very short range or jump all over the place... looking for a gun that played like the famas from black ops or the last gun you got playing the medic in bad company 2.

[quote name='dejeckt']Do you guys know what the upcoming patch would be? The most annoying glitch, for me, is that random weapon/gadget switch (along with c4 not arming). I died so many times cause I pulled out a defib/repair/etc in mid fire.[/QUOTE]

Curious to know about this too. I also have this same problem with the random weapon switching mid fire. Funny thing is that it did not happen with the first few weeks I had the game and has been more of a recent phenomenon.

[quote name='floormat']is there a site or what guns in your opinion are the best guns to use for each kit. I like support but most of the guns there are either very short range or jump all over the place... looking for a gun that played like the famas from black ops or the last gun you got playing the medic in bad company 2.[/QUOTE]

Try this site-

http://denkirson.proboards.com:80/index.cgi#general2

@floormat

I don't really have any source or real evidence to prove what I'm about to type, but all this info is from my personal observation and experience.

Assault (Medic)
Best Weapon - F2000
This gun is a beast between that close to mid range. At close range I think this gun suffers due to recoil and at mid to long range it suffers from lack of damage.

Engineer
Best Weapon - G36C
I honestly think this gun is the best out of all BF3 has to offer (and it should be nerfed). It carries all the strengths of the F2000, but its a bit more. At close range it can nearly overcome any other gun besides shotguns, and at mid range it seems to do alright against any other weapon type (besides sniper rifles).

Support
Best Weapon - M27/RPK
I heard the M60 could be good (but I lack the experience). Although its not exactly powerful, accurate that extra 16 bullets counts a lot. With the combination of Suppression perk the M27/RPK can save you from certain circumstances (such as going up some random stairs only to find 2~4 enemies waltzing about). In my experience this is one of the best guns to have to 'surprise' a group of enemies, or one of the best guns to have when you have been caught with your pants down.

Recon
Best Weapon - depends
I usually play aggressive so my preference relies on semi automatic rifles. It seems that most semi automatic rifles offers similar performance. Although, I do see the merit of bolt action rifles, however, I must warn you that quick/no scoping is much harder in BF3.

Shotguns - USAS
Although it lacks in damage compared to other shottys its rate of fire and reload time makes up for this. To state the obvious its best utilized in close combat situations. This gun has saved my a** a couple of times in situations where I couldn't 'aim right' (those sporadic moments where your are caught off guard). Also, its one of the best guns to have when you are cleaning house near a flag in Conquest.

Submachine Guns - AS VAL
Most people will disagree (and probably choose the UMP), but this is probably my favorite weapon to go with when I'm trying to flank and go behind enemy lines. This is strictly from my own observation, but I think this is the most difficult gun to 'hear.' What I mean is that nearly all guns in BF3 can be silenced, but this gun has to be the most silent one. A good player (with a good set of speakers) can orient themselves to the sound of silenced guns (even without the aid of the minimap), but the AS VAL is probably the most difficult to figure which direction the bullets are flying from. Have fun with this gun, but be warned if you're up against more than 1 enemy in a direct fire fight you will probably lose.

For the support class I've been running the M249 with a fore grip and extended mag. One magazine has 200 bullets so reloading is not an issue. The bi-pod on this gun is really nice too, it makes the gun have very little recoil. I more mobile so I prefer the fore grip.

The assault I really like the SCAR. But I'm going to give that G36C a try.

Also good games last night CAGs(stimes, sitdown) dejeckt you destroyed me with that USAS a few times. Stimes I tried to kick out the randoms in our squad so you could join in. Also if anyone ever wants to play just send me an invite if my game just started I will always back out. If not I will send you a message of my status. I always invite other CAGs depending on the game they're playing and I attempt to wait around, but usually get impatient and start a game. Hopefully this week when they release the patch notes they will add something so we can tell the progress of others games.

ive been doing some research... apparently some of the most complained about guns are:

assault
f2000

engineer
scar

usas + frag

support

damn it... the usas is so far away at level 43.

[quote name='enufs8d']ive been doing some research... apparently some of the most complained about guns are:

assault
f2000

engineer
scar

usas + frag

support

damn it... the usas is so far away at level 43.[/QUOTE]

I can understand f2000 and usas+frag, but why scar and 249? The scar, when compared to G36C, is pretty balanced. Never ran into too much trouble with support type class (so really can't comment). Going back to the usas + frag, and yes I have to agree its kinda ridiculous how strong it is. Not only you have the strength of shotguns in close quarters you get mid range capabilities. I think a good 2~4 shots from usas+frag at mid range can kill (not sure if its one shot kill with head shot).

USAS + 3.4 Scope + Extended Mag + Frag in maps Seine Crossing, Davamand Peak, Operation Metro, and Grand Bazaar you're practically unstoppable. Also, flechette (or however you spell it) is a good alternative when you're trying to get into a room with campers. It can penetrate the wall quite decently.

Assault I run with f2000 but lately ive been using the AEK.

Engineer its SCAR or AKS74u

Support ... eh dont really like their guns

And hardly play with Recon

I finally unlocked the DAO but not really impressed. Now waiting to unlock the USAS .. sigh

[quote name='cheap from birth']good games tonight with CAGers. Thought we had the last game lost but came back. Awesome

Hate conquest on Seine though.[/QUOTE]

we got wiped out on seine. they creamed us on harbors. we only won b/c the top guys left midway through

Patch notes for Nov 22 patch
Major client update for the PC version Battlefield 3 as well as a server-side update for all platforms.

The update will be made on Nov. 22nd 7:00 AM UTC / Nov. 21st 11:00 PM PST.

We’ll share release timing on the console patches as soon as we are clear on the timing, these take a bit longer due to console certification process.

---- Client-Side Changes:

-- Visuals, Stability and Performance Fixes:

• General performance and loading time improvements
• “Black Screen” fix for an issue occurring on some PC Configurations
• Stereo and Rendering Support for Nvidia and AMD Graphics Cards
• Adjusted the “stuttering” encountered on some PC configurations.
• Fixed several Crashes when joining MP and Co-Op sessions
• Fixed multiple problems when using multiple monitors (Eyefinity / Surround).
• Fixed visual corruption issues on certain Nvidia Cards
• Improved loading times for certain textures
• Added console command “GameTime.MaxVariableFps” to limit max FPS

-- Balance and Gameplay Adjustments (PC)

• Fixed a problem with high speed mouse movement
• Added back some missing Growlers on Kharg Island Conquest Large
• Added back EOR sound for SQDM and TDM
• You should no longer be able to damage a friendly vehicle when sitting in an open position
• Grenades now drop to ground if you get killed while attempting to throw it(note the affect this will have on Hardcore mode!)
• Spawn protection now should work in Conquest. You should no longer spawn on points too close to enemies
• You should no longer spawn too close to enemies in TDM and SQDM
• Combat areas on Kharg Rush tweaked in order to disallow defenders to access the carrier ship after 1st base is taken and being able to enter the AA gun
• Fixed a problem with revived players not suffering suppression
• Fixed a problem with the camera when being revived in COOP
• Added joystick deadzone setting
• Fixed sound for when climbing ladders
• Fixed an issue with some weapon sounds in first person
• Fixed a swim sound loop error
• Increased the damage of Helicopter Miniguns, AA guns, and Jet Cannons against infantry
• Increased the damage of Helicopter Miniguns against jeeps.
• Reduced the physics impact of AA guns and Jet Cannons, players under attack from these weapons should no longer lose control.
• Increased the damage of the 44 Magnum slightly.
• Increased the range and minimum damage of the .357 Round from the MP412 Rex.
• Increased the range of all .45cal and 9mm weapons.
• Slightly increased the range of the P90 and MP7 and PDW-R.
• Slightly increased the range of the 5.56mm PDW-R and decreased the minimum damage at long range.
• Slightly increased the minimum range of the Mk11, SVD, and M39 EMR 7.62mm rifles.
• Decreased the maximum damage and maximum range of the G3 and SCAR-H 7.62mm weapons.
• Reduced the damage from FIM-92 and SA-18 IGLA missiles against aircraft.
• Increased the damage and range of the 40mm BUCK rounds.
• Reduced the damage .50cal weapons do against Helicopters.
• Updated T90 canister shell tweaks to match Abrams canister shells
UI Changes (PC)
• Added round duration and ticket summary at EOR
• Advanced squad polish – should be more intuitive
• Significant changes to the Join Squad functionality (see below)
• Fixed a problem regarding keybindings while playing
• You should now get a better error message when being disconnected via Battlelog

---- Server Update Highlights

• EOD Bot exploit fix
• Several crash fixes
• Anti-stat padding measures taken, disallowing ranked servers to run obscure settings
• Improved team kill kick configuration
• Support for unranked servers. Unranked servers do not report players' scores to Battlelog, but server administrators can freely control all settings

-- Share your profile and stats with new Battlelog functionality

• Ability to share your Profile and Stats pages to Facebook, Google+, and Twitter
• User Profile and Stats pages on Battlelog can now be accessed without being signed in to Battlelog if you know a user's URL
• Single sign on from Battlelog to Origin. If you're not logged in to Origin and join a game server, Battlelog will automatically sign you in to Origin in the background and join the game server

-- Quick notes on Squad changes in the Nov 22 update

• Removed FIND ME A SQUAD option
• Allow players to join empty Squads alone, thus having 1/4 squad members
• Change order of options to LEAVE SQUAD, INV A FRIEND, SWITCH TEAM
• Disable Privacy flag when 1 man squad
• Reset Privacy flag from Private to Public when squad drops to 1 player
• All occupied Squads will now show up colored blue on the Squad Selection screen
• Players who choose not to join squads will also show up as Blue in the "Not in a Squad” line
• Squads that are currently empty will display as white -- if you wish to join an empty Squad, you can choose the first one marked with white text

-- A detailed look at Squad refinements

A detailed look at Squad refinements

Today's PC client patch features numerous tweaks to Squad functionality and is part of our ongoing efforts to make it easier to play with friends and Platoon mates. These changes will also be implemented for consoles when we release the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 updates shortly. Stay tuned for the exact date of the console updates.

First, we need to look at how joining with Squads and Platoons affects the balance of teams. Initially, servers are commanded to equal out each side, so joining with friends can impact that balance while joining with Platoons further hinders this. As a result we have made some adjustments to the in-game Squad management screen.

For PC, you are now able to highlight the various Squads and select which one you wish to join by selecting a Squad and then clicking the Join Squad button. Please note that the Squad Privacy option still allows 2 man Squads which, during 64 player sessions, can lead to players with no squad position –- the number of people with no Squads will be shown at the bottom of the Squad selection list.

After the patch is applied to consoles (in the near future) you will be able to join Squads by cycling through the list and selecting which Squad you wish to join.

[quote name='enufs8d']we got wiped out on seine. they creamed us on harbors. we only won b/c the top guys left midway through[/QUOTE]

I dont think ive ever had a good game on seine haha

as far as harbors goes ... ill take any victory :D

dont like how theyre gonna nerf the stinger

I haven't played in a couple weeks but what better time to start playing again once that new patch rolls out. As long as they dim that flashlight I'll be happy.

Finally finished Forza 4 career, might try a few round tonight. Been playing forza lately, and getting my.moneys worth from halo CE multiplayer. Which I still dont like if your not a halo nut, you have no chance.

And its easy to spot the halo people in BF3. They jump all over when you shoot them.

I added a "Latest News" section to the first post. Feel free to update that section with any new information (put old information in spoiler tag below new information). To kick of the new section...

Battlefield 1943 is going to be FREE! (as originally intended at E3, details below)

There have been some misunderstandings around Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield 3. To address this we are making Battlefield 1943 available free of charge to owners of Battlefield 3 on the PS3 beginning this month.

Battlefield 1943 PlayStation®3 vouchers will be available on the following dates:
  • November 26th, 2011 for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony Europe
  • December 10th, 2011 for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony America
  • December 17th, 2011 for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony Asia and Sony Japan
Please note that vouchers are region-specific. Sony Europe vouchers will only work in Europe and will not work in America, Asia, or Japan.

Source (Voucher Redemption page)

[quote name='Stimes']If anyone still needs Dr. Pepper codes hit me up with a PM.[/QUOTE]

Dr. Pepper codes for BF3? Please elaborate...!

I would like to play but I let my uncle borrow my PS3 and I haven't touched it since thursday haha. I'm trying to help him get a PS3 holiday bundle.

Not a fan of support guns. Makes it hard to move around. Plus it feels like you have to dump 50 bullets into someone to get a kill.

Had a terrible run just now. Do people actually play the objective in rush? :wall:

[quote name='cheap from birth']Not a fan of support guns. Makes it hard to move around. Plus it feels like you have to dump 50 bullets into someone to get a kill.

Had a terrible run just now. Do people actually play the objective in rush? :wall:[/QUOTE]

of course they do. im up to 118 rush wins so far. i miss the days in bfbc2 where you were the one and only hope to destroying the mcom.... the kamikaze quad loaded with c4.

the m60 has tons of stopping power. but the recoil is hard to adjust to. i still see people mostly use the m249.

[quote name='SynGamer']Dr. Pepper codes for BF3? Please elaborate...![/QUOTE]
pepper has codes for dogtags. (eg: rubber ducky).

im up to 171 rush wins but lately ive been really annoyed with the teams ive been paired with. I guess thats why ive been playing a lot of TDM lately ... that and its a quick way to level up classes i dont use that much like support and recon.

the real advantage those support guns have are the large clips. you can just unload and not worry about reloading frequently. but i just feel hindered by running around with those guns

[quote name='cheap from birth']im up to 171 rush wins but lately ive been really annoyed with the teams ive been paired with. I guess thats why ive been playing a lot of TDM lately ... that and its a quick way to level up classes i dont use that much like support and recon.[/QUOTE] its infectious. i had a crappy with loss after loss. i dont know how good one can be but i think you just cant win if the other side has at least 2-3 eagle members and you're 3 short.

in one rush round, i had my 2 other teammates. they were chatting in british acents. they kept getting 0-8 or 1-9. but i enjoyed their company since they were complete newbs. completely understandable. eventually they learned to use my spawn beacon. ::wall:: couldnt use my mic since it was the dead of the night.

luckily shutup joined dejeckt and me on Tehran. we were getting creamed. at the last mcoms, the cavalry showed up.

bread's done
Back