Best Buy Halo 4/Assassin's Creed III Collector's Guides 80%+ off - $6.99 each

[quote name='uhnsk']I'm not surprised that he took on a condescending tone when you asked the same question he had just answered.[/QUOTE]
icon14.gif

[quote name='uhnsk']I'm not surprised that he took on a condescending tone when you asked the same question he had just answered.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, the way he explained Ad Match sounded just like a different policy of price matching. I wasn't sure why he strongly emphasized that they don't price match when he said that they do price match only with printed ads.

It's like going to Smash Burger to get a hamburger and they say they don't sell hamburgers, only Smashburgers. You'd like to know what is a Smashburger compared to a hamburger and you're told that it's a hamburger with different condiments...but that they still don't sell hamburgers.

I get that they're exclusively using the term "Ad Match" but it was still confusing at the time since I hadn't heard it before.

If I was disrespectful toward him, then it would make sense for him to respond in a condescending tone; however, since I wasn't disrespectful, there was no need to respond that way.

Perhaps the way I wrote the conversation didn't accurately convey his demeanor but it was clearly over the top. Even if I inquired into the same point twice, it's not good practice to respond that way.

Anyways, the point of the post was to give an offer of proof that price matching at Walmart is definitely YMMV and also to vent to other CAGs. I didn't expect that I would get criticism for the post.

My BB is the only one close to me and the only one that said AC3 CE guides were unavailable. They didn't have them when I went in yesterday. Now the site is saying they are available so I'll stop in again on Thursday when I head back into work to see if they are in.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']My BB is the only one close to me and the only one that said AC3 CE guides were unavailable. They didn't have them when I went in yesterday. Now the site is saying they are available so I'll stop in again on Thursday when I head back into work to see if they are in.[/QUOTE]

From all the people in the Vita Memory stick thread, I think that's a glitch, and all stores are showing up as having inventory.

Is it only that one store that says it has it?

[quote name='Captain Urahara']My BB is the only one close to me and the only one that said AC3 CE guides were unavailable. They didn't have them when I went in yesterday. Now the site is saying they are available so I'll stop in again on Thursday when I head back into work to see if they are in.[/QUOTE]

You could place an order online for in store pick up. You'll know for sure if they can't fulfill the order.

Thanks YBX87,

Picked up both Halo & AC3.
When I went to pick it up, they almost gave me the softcover AC3 but I told them it was supposed to be hardcover; thankfully they still had one HC available. Beautiful books.

:)

very cool i love reading through strategy guides. i bought the $5 one, i was going for the CE but they aren't shipping that and im not traveling 40 mins to the closest best buy for it.

[quote name='Zolor23']From all the people in the Vita Memory stick thread, I think that's a glitch, and all stores are showing up as having inventory.

Is it only that one store that says it has it?[/QUOTE]

No, all the other stores EXCEPT mine had it as available. When I went there they didn't have any at all. Now it says my BB has some.

Plus practically every other person in this thread said their BB has loads of them.

I'm not super worried about getting one. If I get one then that's great. If I don't then no worries. I'm trying to avoid using my CC too so I'm limiting myself to cash for the time being.

Got my Collector Edition guides in the mail today. SUPER impressed with the art quality. Best Buy shipped very fast too, although thy came in really huge boxes. My Halo one has a slight impression on the cover, but I don't care too much about it.

[quote name='GuitarMan']Thanks YBX87,

Picked up both Halo & AC3.
When I went to pick it up, they almost gave me the softcover AC3 but I told them it was supposed to be hardcover; thankfully they still had one HC available. Beautiful books.

:)[/QUOTE]

I see you hail from Georgia. What store did you go to?

[quote name='GuitarMan']McDonough, GA.[/QUOTE]

OK, so you're not that far from me. I used to call the Loganville store "my store", but now I'm forced to call the Snellville one "my store". Not nearly the same store. :cry:

[quote name='FlyingAce39']OK, so you're not that far from me. I used to call the Loganville store "my store", but now I'm forced to call the Snellville one "my store". Not nearly the same store. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Sorry, dude. I have a Bestbuy in Morrow and McDonough, both about equal distance from where I live.

There are quite a few CAGs in the ATL area. :grouphug:

[quote name='GuitarMan']Sorry, dude. I have a Bestbuy in Morrow and McDonough, both about equal distance from where I live.

There are quite a few CAGs in the ATL area. :grouphug:[/QUOTE]

Apparently, I'm in that category. :)

Picked up a Halo 4 CE guide tonight at the Nashua, NH Best Buy. Really impressed by the cover, looking forward to opening it up. Great price. There were another 5 or 6 left, didnt see any of the Assassin's Creed 3 CE guides but a handful of regular guides for both Halo 4 and AC3.

Surprisingly my BB had about 7 Halo 4 CE and 5 AC3 CE guides. I was in there for an hour deciding if I should get them (Never have had any interest in collecting guides). I finally decided to pass, and when I got home I regretted it :/

If they still have some when I go back I guess I'll grab them.

Well I decided I do want that AC3 guide now. Of course the store checker says that my closest store is OOS, and a bunch of stores further out are now saying OOS too now. No shipping on the guide from the site, and of course they are only letting me pick up at the stores that already have them(which are quite a ways away from me). Damn :(

[quote name='Captain Urahara']Well I decided I do want that AC3 guide now. Of course the store checker says that my closest store is OOS, and a bunch of stores further out are now saying OOS too now. No shipping on the guide from the site, and of course they are only letting me pick up at the stores that already have them(which are quite a ways away from me). Damn :([/QUOTE]

you should of just ordered earlier for instock pickup at the store closest to you, and then decide if you really want it, or not. Since you have 7-8 days to pickup it up, or it will cancel after the 7-8 days

[quote name='YBX87']you should of just ordered earlier for instock pickup at the store closest to you, and then decide if you really want it, or not. Since you have 7-8 days to pickup it up, or it will cancel after the 7-8 days[/QUOTE]

Telling me what I should have done doesn't exactly help me now does it? Hopefully that doesn't sound mean as I'm not mad at you. That being said, yeah I should have. Mistake on my part. I know it.

Picked up both guides. The litho and map in the ac3 guide are both great. The maps of the levels in the halo guide are pretty cool too. Both guides have a fair amount of great artwork. Ac3 i would say is the better guide, rven talks about the true history of events and why/how they changed or used them. Good stuff. Thanks everyone here for informing me of this aweaome deal.

Not available for shipping but I put in a store pickup order for a Halo 4 CE guide. My son will be happy to get that - though I can't imagine when I'll feel like driving all the way to Best Buy just to pick that up ;).

[quote name='io']Not available for shipping but I put in a store pickup order for a Halo 4 CE guide. My son will be happy to get that - though I can't imagine when I'll feel like driving all the way to Best Buy just to pick that up ;).[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, how far of a drive is your closest Best Buy? I like finding this out since I guess I'm lucky with a handful of best buys within 30 miles of home.

[quote name='DCpinoy']Just out of curiosity, how far of a drive is your closest Best Buy? I like finding this out since I guess I'm lucky with a handful of best buys within 30 miles of home.[/QUOTE]

I have a handful within 30 miles as well (closest is probably 15). But that is still a fair distance/time if I have no other reason to go there than to get this one guide. I was just up there Weds evening too but didn't know about this then. I probably won't head up that way until at least the weekend if not later.

But to go there just for this means spending $4-$5 in gas as well which pretty much negates the deal. That's why I was really hoping for a shipping option (and with Silver it would have been free).

[quote name='io']I have a handful within 30 miles as well (closest is probably 15). But that is still a fair distance/time if I have no other reason to go there than to get this one guide. I was just up there Weds evening too but didn't know about this then. I probably won't head up that way until at least the weekend if not later.

But to go there just for this means spending $4-$5 in gas as well which pretty much negates the deal. That's why I was really hoping for a shipping option (and with Silver it would have been free).[/QUOTE]

Very true. If anything they hold in store pickups for 7 days right?

[quote name='io']I have a handful within 30 miles as well (closest is probably 15). But that is still a fair distance/time if I have no other reason to go there than to get this one guide. I was just up there Weds evening too but didn't know about this then. I probably won't head up that way until at least the weekend if not later.

But to go there just for this means spending $4-$5 in gas as well which pretty much negates the deal. That's why I was really hoping for a shipping option (and with Silver it would have been free).[/QUOTE]

io, you might use a bit more gas on the way back home... the Halo CE guide is MASSIVE and HEAVY! :)

Well I caved and picked up the Halo 4 hardcover guide. After using my 50% off any guide coupon from the GCU welcome pack, total cost was only $3.75, which was $36.50 in savings. I never buy guides, but I couldn't pass up this price.

Picked mine up today from my order a few days ago.. AC shrink wrap was ripped.. kinda disappointed but I'm not going to make a big deal about it

I bought the AC 3 CE guide today and it took 15% off automatically, making it less than $6. I guess because I bought the game on Sunday it was in the system that I had it.

[quote name='submissionking']Tried to PM at Walmart for the Halo CE Guide but was turned down by the General Manager. The conversation went like this:

Me:"I'd like to Price Match to Best Buy please"

GM: "We don't Price Match, we Ad Match"

Me: "What does that mean?"

GM: "If they have the price in a PRINTED (emphasis added) advertisement, we price match."

Me: "Ok...You don't price match at all?"

GM: "Listen, I told you already. We don't price match at all. Nothing. No price matching period. We AD MATCH (emphasis added). If a store has a printed ad and the price is listed, then we price match. If you want to Ad match, bring their ad next time."

Me: "To be honest, it's ridiculous that I have to bring in a physical ad since we have the benefit of modern technology. I'll buy my things elsewhere."

I didn't appreciate him being condescending, so I left all my items at the checkout and left.[/QUOTE]

u sorta were being a douche to him first. u need to treat people with respect if u want to b treated with respect. if u really want a ce guide ill pick one up for u for fifteen plus shipping.

[quote name='paayter']u sorta were being a douche to him first. u need to treat people with respect if u want to b treated with respect. if u really want a ce guide ill pick one up for u for fifteen plus shipping.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you there.

In EVERY instance where Wal-mart has "price-matched" for me, I have shown them the dated PRINTED AD.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']I agree with you there.

In EVERY instance where Wal-mart has "price-matched" for me, I have shown them the dated PRINTED AD.[/QUOTE]

You guys, Walmart has this sign near the registers where it says something similar to the customer does not need the ad to price match. I pointed at it before to the Walmart employees when price matching. Then you see this look on their face :drool:

EDIT:

Here is what is says on their website

http://corporate.walmart.com/ad-match-guarantee

*The following are guidelines and limitations:
We will match any local competitor's advertised price.
We do not require customers to have the ad with them to honor a competitor's ad.

See my post, then pull up the website on your smartphone or print the ad match guarantee and show it to the manager.

[quote name='submissionking']Tried to PM at Walmart for the Halo CE Guide but was turned down by the General Manager. The conversation went like this:

Me:"I'd like to Price Match to Best Buy please"

GM: "We don't Price Match, we Ad Match"

Me: "What does that mean?"

GM: "If they have the price in a PRINTED (emphasis added) advertisement, we price match."

Me: "Ok...You don't price match at all?"

GM: "Listen, I told you already. We don't price match at all. Nothing. No price matching period. We AD MATCH (emphasis added). If a store has a printed ad and the price is listed, then we price match. If you want to Ad match, bring their ad next time."

Me: "To be honest, it's ridiculous that I have to bring in a physical ad since we have the benefit of modern technology. I'll buy my things elsewhere."

I didn't appreciate him being condescending, so I left all my items at the checkout and left.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='T1NY']You guys, Walmart has this sign near the registers where it says something similar to the customer does not need the ad to price match. I pointed at it before to the Walmart employees when price matching. Then you see this look on their face :drool:

EDIT:

Here is what is says on their website

http://corporate.walmart.com/ad-match-guarantee

*The following are guidelines and limitations:
We will match any local competitor's advertised price.
We do not require customers to have the ad with them to honor a competitor's ad.[/QUOTE]

Oh my god people (Archer's voice), you are not going to lie and cheat your way through this. The reason they don't require you to bring in the ad is because they keep them at the front customer service desk, all of their local competitor's weekly printed sales ads. When you ask for an ad match, they will look in the ads to find it, if you can't show it to them, you do not get the ad match. You can do it at any register because the manager will bring the necessary printed sales ad to the register to verify the price.

We do not honor:

• Internet pricing

Walmart sells your local Sunday newspaper. They grab some and pull the ads out. That's how they get them. I think they even keep some back in the electronics department.

I believe it requires the manager override to turn their key in the register if the discount is like more than 20% off. The people who work at the front customer service desks are not managers and will also require a key override.

It has to be an advertised price, specifically a weekly printed sales ad from a local competitor. Printing a webpage off the internet does not count as a printed sales ad. Neither does taking a photo of the sticker price from a store shelf.

The policy works absolutely perfectly with no issue when you have are matching a local competitor's weekly printed sales ad.

That look you see on their face :drool: is complete and utter disgust at the appalling ignorance of customers who think they know what they're talking about when they don't.

bread's done
Back