Best Buy US Exclusive - 11 Disney Blu-ray SteelBook™ released on December 8th

iNCREDiPiNOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
Good news everyone, Best Buy US is having 11 Disney SteelBooks™ just like Future Shop but all of them are releasing on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 not just 1 day per 12 weeks. Sale price will be $29.99. Regular price will be $34.99.

1. Bug's Life
  2. Cars
  3. Monsters Inc.
  4. Nightmare Before Christmas
  5. Pinocchio
  6. Ratatouille
  7. Sleeping Beauty
  8. Wall*E
  9. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
  10. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Dead Man's Chest
  11. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7911/whmhr8.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7290/29w5owx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crovakiet']was going to jump in on this for nightmare before christmas and pinnochio bluray steelbooks with a retro pricematch, but then realized best buy probably wouldnt pricematch walmart.com prices because it shows 'not sold in stores' for both titles :([/QUOTE]

No harm in trying. I don't even have a Walmart anywhere in my city and they PM'd the prices that showed in my printout of the shoppping cart.

[quote name='crovakiet']was going to jump in on this for nightmare before christmas and pinnochio bluray steelbooks with a retro pricematch, but then realized best buy probably wouldnt pricematch walmart.com prices because it shows 'not sold in stores' for both titles :([/QUOTE]

If you print from the WM.com cart, then it will NOT show 'not sold in stores'.

I just hope all of the future Pixar blu-ray releases will have steelbook releases 'cause now I've got them all as steelbooks and I'm gonna hate having to get a Pixar blu in the future that's not a steelbook case.

I think my local BB restocked. Checked the inventory tracker that was posted in this topic a few days ago and they showed only Monsters Inc and the Pirates movies in stock. Stopped by today and they had every steelbook listed with 2-3 copies of each. Wanted to pick up Wall-E but held off cause I could get it for half the price at Target with that $5 coupon.

The inventory tracker on BestBuy.com will show the item as out of stock for the following reasons:

* There's 0 - 2 copies on-hand in inventory according to RSS. Regardless of the number of physical items on-hand, it's what RSS shows that BestBuy.com is pulling from. This is supposed to prevent them from not being able to fulfill an in-store pickup order because of low inventory levels.

* Someone tried to fulfill an in-store pickup order, couldn't find it for one reason or another, and marked the order as "NO PICK". Once they do that, regardless of the inventory information in RSS, it marks the item as not orderable for in-store pickup until it's been cleared by someone in operations for that store, usually the Ops Mgr.

Hopefully they are being resstocked... but I also think they 30$ tag for most normal consumers is pushing them away which is good for us.

[quote name='Mako1215']Hopefully they are being resstocked... but I also think they 30$ tag for most normal consumers is pushing them away which is good for us.[/QUOTE]

It's not good for those of us that like steelbooks. These are clearly selling slowly, and I'm sure BB is watching. Poor sales may screw us out of future releases. It's not going to help that these are going to go up to $34.99 starting Sunday.

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']It's not good for those of us that like steelbooks. These are clearly selling slowly, and I'm sure BB is watching. Poor sales may screw us out of future releases. It's not going to help that these are going to go up to $34.99 starting Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Well maybe it help them to not price them higher next time?
Never thought about it like that. They need to make it on new releases, and not old ones that people have forked money over already and it might sell better?

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']It's not good for those of us that like steelbooks. These are clearly selling slowly, and I'm sure BB is watching. Poor sales may screw us out of future releases. It's not going to help that these are going to go up to $34.99 starting Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Yep, wouldn't expect them to get the RIGHT hint about slow sales-- the price is way too high, and the fact they're double dipping on these movies probably turns off a LOT of people. I mean, I got Pirates 1-2 on BR years ago for like $12, hard to justify (without a pm ;) ) re-buying at $35 when the only difference is a case; especially when the movies aren't even complete.

Had this been a new Disney movie released day-and-date as the normal releases, and a not-insane price, I'm sure they'd sell better, but it seems like companies try to screw Steelbook collectors out of as much as possible. (Remember the James Bond BRs at $29.99 each? Pricematching saved the day then, too!)

[quote name='Mako1215']They need to make it on new releases, and not old ones that people have forked money over already and it might sell better?[/QUOTE]

I agree, but you know how the corporate bean counters think. They won't take into account that they're all double dips. They'll just say "the steelbooks we made available are under performing. We shouldn't order anymore".

Hopefully the "This Is It" steelbooks sell well.

So does anyone have a comprehensive list of which ones you cannot get the 'complete' version of the movie to sit inside of the Steelbook? Seems like Nightmare and Wall-E for sure, I don't know the disc counts of the others well enough to know. If anyone wound up with PM'd extras that they'd like to sell at cost (I know, unlikely), I'd be interested, especially in Monsters Inc, Up, and Snow White. One more question-which Pixars are currently unavailable in Steelbooks? Toy Story 1 and 2, Finding Nemo, and the Shorts Collection are the only ones I can think of. Any others? Nemo and the Toy Stories aren't on Blu at all at this point are they? (I'm sure the Toy Stories will come out with the upcoming third one if they haven't already.)

like I said, if best buy would've followed futureshop with their weekly releases of these, I probably would've bought all of them. It's hard to swallow $300 blown in one shot on 11 movies, 8 of which I already have on blu ray.

on that note, I still really want those damn cases :(

[quote name='JohnnyDeLicious']So does anyone have a comprehensive list of which ones you cannot get the 'complete' version of the movie to sit inside of the Steelbook? Seems like Nightmare and Wall-E for sure, I don't know the disc counts of the others well enough to know. If anyone wound up with PM'd extras that they'd like to sell at cost (I know, unlikely), I'd be interested, especially in Monsters Inc, Up, and Snow White. One more question-which Pixars are currently unavailable in Steelbooks? Toy Story 1 and 2, Finding Nemo, and the Shorts Collection are the only ones I can think of. Any others? Nemo and the Toy Stories aren't on Blu at all at this point are they? (I'm sure the Toy Stories will come out with the upcoming third one if they haven't already.)[/QUOTE]

Incredibles comes to mind. I think that's it.

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']I agree, but you know how the corporate bean counters think. They won't take into account that they're all double dips. They'll just say "the steelbooks we made available are under performing. We shouldn't order anymore".

Hopefully the "This Is It" steelbooks sell well.[/QUOTE]

Yea I might be buying 2.

[quote name='Penguin1084']like I said, if best buy would've followed futureshop with their weekly releases of these, I probably would've bought all of them. It's hard to swallow $300 blown in one shot on 11 movies, 8 of which I already have on blu ray.

on that note, I still really want those damn cases :([/QUOTE]

Yes I would of loved that. I would have gotten all of them then.

[quote name='mrhappi79']If you print from the WM.com cart, then it will NOT show 'not sold in stores'.[/QUOTE]

Went to walmart.com and added Nightmare before christmas, wall-e, pinnochio, and sleeping beauty to my cart. Printed it out. Went to Best Buy and picked up the steelbooks. Then I wandered around and had lunch in the shopping plaza. Went back to Best Buy about 2-3 hours later with receipt in hand (blurays in car) and walmart printout. Walked up to the customer service counter and said I wanted a price adjustment with the walmart.com printout. He said ok, but we are going to the website to make sure all prices are valid. The dude searches for Nightmare before christmas on walmart.com and sees that its not sold in stores, so he says he cant pricematch it. Then he searches for pinnochio on bluray and of course also sees it not sold in stores. Then he searches for sleeping beauty, finds it. Notes the lower price but also sees 'prices may vary in store', and goes to the phone to call up walmart. After some minutes goes by, he says to me that apparently the walmart he called has sleeping beauty bluray for ~30$ which is the same price that best buy has. At this point, I am like 'forget it'.

[quote name='crovakiet']Went to walmart.com and added Nightmare before christmas, wall-e, pinnochio, and sleeping beauty to my cart. Printed it out. Went to Best Buy and picked up the steelbooks. Then I wandered around and had lunch in the shopping plaza. Went back to Best Buy about 2-3 hours later with receipt in hand (blurays in car) and walmart printout. Walked up to the customer service counter and said I wanted a price adjustment with the walmart.com printout. He said ok, but we are going to the website to make sure all prices are valid. The dude searches for Nightmare before christmas on walmart.com and sees that its not sold in stores, so he says he cant pricematch it. Then he searches for pinnochio on bluray and of course also sees it not sold in stores. Then he searches for sleeping beauty, finds it. Notes the lower price but also sees 'prices may vary in store', and goes to the phone to call up walmart. After some minutes goes by, he says to me that apparently the walmart he called has sleeping beauty bluray for ~30$ which is the same price that best buy has. At this point, I am like 'forget it'.[/QUOTE]

try again at a different store or with a different rep, have noticed that all the girls I've dealt don't bother checking, but the guys like to call.

[quote name='crovakiet']Went to walmart.com and added Nightmare before christmas, wall-e, pinnochio, and sleeping beauty to my cart. Printed it out. Went to Best Buy and picked up the steelbooks. Then I wandered around and had lunch in the shopping plaza. Went back to Best Buy about 2-3 hours later with receipt in hand (blurays in car) and walmart printout. Walked up to the customer service counter and said I wanted a price adjustment with the walmart.com printout. He said ok, but we are going to the website to make sure all prices are valid. The dude searches for Nightmare before christmas on walmart.com and sees that its not sold in stores, so he says he cant pricematch it. Then he searches for pinnochio on bluray and of course also sees it not sold in stores. Then he searches for sleeping beauty, finds it. Notes the lower price but also sees 'prices may vary in store', and goes to the phone to call up walmart. After some minutes goes by, he says to me that apparently the walmart he called has sleeping beauty bluray for ~30$ which is the same price that best buy has. At this point, I am like 'forget it'.[/QUOTE]

Use the same printout at a different store. It depends on whether they'll take the time to call. The cs rep I got didn't bother calling or verifying online.

You might want to try during peak hours when they wont have time or wont want to check.

Mine worked because some lady was yelling, and tying up the CS manager :D
but try mulitple times, and different stores.

[quote name='mrhappi79']Use the same printout at a different store. It depends on whether they'll take the time to call. The cs rep I got didn't bother calling or verifying online.

You might want to try during peak hours when they wont have time or wont want to check.[/QUOTE]

I suggest a few days before or after christmas will help. That's when I plan on going in.

My pricematch adventure:

The original best buy I bought all 11 steels at: the dude called the local wal-mart and price matched Monster's Inc. only because that was the only one they had in stock. He said to come back when they're in stock and he can price match the rest. You have until 12/31 due to the Holiday Return policy.

Yesterday, I went far for a family function and on the way back I hit 2 different best buys. The first best buy had a huge line... me asking for 11 price matches made that line pile up. I brought my 1 price match receipt and told them I did this during my lunch hour, but did not have time to wait for all 11 to be verified for pricematching. They started to look at the website and not call anyone, but when they saw the ones with "Not Sold in Stores", they said they couldn't pricematch it. Some CS's particular as well and if it doesn't exactly say "50th Anniversary Edition" or some BS they won't do it either. I got 5 done there... they wanted me out of there ASAP due to the growing line.

I stopped at another Best Buy on the way home and told the lady that another Best Buy called wal-mart and they couldn't pricematch the ones that weren't in stock. I pointed at the ones I still needed price matched. She didn't even flinch and just pricematched the rest.

Very YMMV... but if you can't get all of them PM'd at one, try another.

So far it looks like demand is not high at all for these ... perhaps they're flying really really low on people's radar. Probably the type of thing I should seal away for 2 years and then sell, but I dunno ... might end up returning a couple of the discs I wasn't too hot on in the first place.

[quote name='etcrane']So far it looks like demand is not high at all for these ... perhaps they're flying really really low on people's radar. Probably the type of thing I should seal away for 2 years and then sell, but I dunno ... might end up returning a couple of the discs I wasn't too hot on in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i'm having the same dilemma. I already PM'd some of mine which helps me justify keeping them. I could probably make a small profit now on them, but I just wonder if they'll go up significantly in a few years.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']don't sell them now or return it back to BB, just wait at least 2-3 years from now.[/QUOTE]

People fell for these packaging stuff back in the VHS days and the DVD days. All those collector packaging that most people thought it would be worth something in the future. As of today most of those things have no value. I'm pretty sure the steel books will be the same way a few years down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JPCERTIFIED']People fell for these packaging stuff back in the VHS days and the DVD days. Al those collector packaging that most people thought it would be worth something. As of today most of those things have no value. I'm pretty sure the steel books will be the same way a few years down the road.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately i have to agree. when the next format comes out the collector's type editions of past formats loses much of their appeal

If I can get wall-e, pinnochio, sleeping beauty and nightmare before christmas pricematched, im definitely keeping them not reselling.

[quote name='crovakiet']If I can get wall-e, pinnochio, sleeping beauty and nightmare before christmas pricematched, im definitely keeping them not reselling.[/QUOTE]

wall-e being price matched is already enough for me. lets keep our fingers crossed.

i need to get some more next week when i get payed or something. i HATE how they release these so close to xmas, and i have to worry about xmas presents, cell bill, and getting these. I got the ones I want so I'm happy, but I really want to get them all.

Check the SKU item locator on page 14 to see what's left. Monsters, Inc. is pretty much oos since day 1 and the following wednesday were restocked.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Check the SKU item locator on page 14 to see what's left. Monsters, Inc. is pretty much oos since day 1 and the following wednesday were restocked.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. According to that. There all still in stock except Monsters Inc. which I already have.

I figured I'd put this here. I have an extra Wall-E steelie that I'd like to sell to pay off my bills. it was supposed to be a gift but they don't have a Blu-ray player. Anyway I'm selling it for $35 shipped (USPS Priority). PM me if interested.

Well they are still out there. I just got Nightmare, Monsters, Bugs Life and Rat all prices matched from Walmart.com all for about $18 each give or take. Saw every one of them so they are being restocked.

So I got a bug's life steelbook for christmas and it only had the movie disc. Isnt it a 2 disc set? if so, is the extra disc just a digital copy?

[quote name='Mako1215']No it's single disc. while the regular blue edition is 3 disc.[/QUOTE]

REALLY. SHIT what did I not get on the other 2 discs???

[quote name='Jgel']REALLY. SHIT what did I not get on the other 2 discs???[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know. I DID have the dvd special edition that had 3 discs but gave it to my girl when I got the steelbook and was highly pissed at a lack of 2 discs.

[quote name='Mako1215']No it's single disc. while the regular blue edition is 3 disc.[/QUOTE]

The regular blu-ray edition is actually 2 discs not 3. The first disc contains the movie with all the supplements. The second disc is just the digital copy.

[quote name='mrhappi79']The regular blu-ray edition is actually 2 discs not 3. The first disc contains the movie with all the supplements. The second disc is just the digital copy.[/QUOTE]

So then the DVD is the only 3 disc?

[quote name='mrhappi79']The regular blu-ray edition is actually 2 discs not 3. The first disc contains the movie with all the supplements. The second disc is just the digital copy.[/QUOTE]

OK cool. As long as I only lose a digital copy disc on these I am fine with that. I thought I was losing some bonus features. Is that how it is with all of them? I know Monsters has more than one disc.

[quote name='Jgel']By the way Sleeping Beauty is going back to the Vault and OOP on Jan 29th.[/QUOTE]

The AD shows DVD & Blu-ray (Non-SteelBook) ;)

Would someone be kind enough to post (or re-post) a definitive list of the steelbooks that are missing bonus feature discs? I don't mind if they're missing the DVD copy and the Digital Copy.

I've read several pages of this thread and from what I understand, only Nightmare and Monsters Inc are missing bonus features.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, there's talk of Sleeping Beauty going back in the fault. I remember hearing a while back that they are going to be re-releasing the Sleeping Beauty Blu Ray as a Diamond Edition. Anyone know which is true?

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Would someone be kind enough to post (or re-post) a definitive list of the steelbooks that are missing bonus feature discs? I don't mind if they're missing the DVD copy and the Digital Copy.

I've read several pages of this thread and from what I understand, only Nightmare and Monsters Inc are missing bonus features.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, there's talk of Sleeping Beauty going back in the fault. I remember hearing a while back that they are going to be re-releasing the Sleeping Beauty Blu Ray as a Diamond Edition. Anyone know which is true?[/QUOTE]

Im not sure when I have time but I can do a quick run down in the next couple of days if someone else doesnt do it.

In re: to sleeping beauty - yes when the diamond edition was announced they said pinnacho and sleeping beauty would be re-released as diamond edition. I would expect very little changes other than packaging and I would imagine they would put them at the end of the list, so it will be many years before they are released.

[quote name='bywaytm']Im not sure when I have time but I can do a quick run down in the next couple of days if someone else doesnt do it.

In re: to sleeping beauty - yes when the diamond edition was announced they said pinnacho and sleeping beauty would be re-released as diamond edition. I would expect very little changes other than packaging and I would imagine they would put them at the end of the list, so it will be many years before they are released.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I just got a Best Buy giftcard for Christmas and I'm probably just going to buy sleeping beauty if I can find it. I'm sure these are going to be great rare collectors items in the not too distant future, but I'm not giving up good bonus features for a metal case.

I have wall-e cars, pinnochio, snow white, and monsters inc in regular blu ray cases. I dont care about the pirate movies (even if they have the bonus features in paper sleeves).

So A Bugs life and Ratatouille definitely aren't missing any special features? Because I'd probably buy them along with sleeping beauty. So I guess I'm just asking if A Bugs life, Ratatouille, and Sleeping Beauty are complete.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']

So A Bugs life and Ratatouille definitely aren't missing any special features? Because I'd probably buy them along with sleeping beauty. So I guess I'm just asking if A Bugs life, Ratatouille, and Sleeping Beauty are complete.[/QUOTE]

The Blu Ray discs are identical to the earlier releases. Nightmare and Bug's Life are missing their digital copy discs. The reason for this is that they have expired or were expiring soon and Disney was not going to set up another system for the digital file. Ratatouille is also identical to the single discs release which was the only one that I know of.

Monster's Inc comes with a Digital Copy and Sleeping Beauty and Pinnochio come with DVD versions of the film.

bread's done
Back