Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition Announced $30 1/14

chicagocubsfan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Sad that this March's BioShock Infinite won't be set in Rapture? You'll get a chance to re-visit the beautiful underwater city of the first two BioShock games with the newly announced Ultimate Rapture edition, which will boast an all-new Museum of Orphaned Concepts filled with concept art and character designs that weren't used for Irrational's hit franchise. The new bundle comes out on Jan. 14 for the PS3 and Xbox 360, at a cost of $30. Here's a full rundown of what's inside:
• Museum of Orphaned Concepts: Take a tour of a never-before-seen BioShock museum and view early concept art, character models and more set within the halls of Rapture.
• Plasmids Pack: Includes four additional Plasmids and Gene Tonics—Sonic Boom, EVE Saver, Vending Expert and Machine Buster—for use in BioShock.
• Challenge Rooms Pack: Previously exclusive to PS3™ and now available for Xbox 360 for the first time, the pack tests the player's mettle by requiring them to utilize the skills learned while traversing the halls of Rapture to survive three separate puzzle rooms in BioShock.
• Sinclair Solutions Tester: Contains a number of customization features that allow players to further their character's development in BioShock 2 multiplayer modes and provides a deeper multiplayer experience.
• Rapture Metro: Includes six additional multiplayer maps, an additional multiplayer gameplay mode and a rank increase to level 50 for BioShock 2 multiplayer.
• The Protector Trials: Features frantic combat and fast-paced action designed to push players' mastery of weapons and Plasmids in a BioShock 2 single-player experience spread across six maps.
• Minerva's Den: A substantial narrative experience that puts players in the role Subject Sigma and introduces new characters, locations and mystery to the world of Rapture in BioShock 2. Set in a new environment, Rapture Central Computing, Minerva's Den adds a gripping new storyline to extend the BioShock 2 experience.
• Also included, is an exclusive collectable sticker pack from BioShock Infinite's world of Columbia to get gamers ready for the next chapter in the BioShock universe.
Official site http://www.bioshockgame.com/ultimaterapture/home.html

Not even 24 hours has passed and I'm already second-guessing my Amazon order.

I wasn't necessarily interested in the game when it first came out, I don't know if I am now.

I think I'm gonna cancel it.

Bioshock 1 remains one of my favorite games of all time, just incredible

i have bioshock2 but havent gotten around to it, but ive heard it wasnt as good it was done at a different studio and ken levine really didnt have any work on it

nonetheless im still going to double dip on this version because of the exclusive stuff it comes with

also have the songbird edition of infinite preordered, ken levine is a genius IMO

edit: anyone seen a pic of the coverart for this version yet?

Bioshock 2 isn't as good because you've already seen Rapture. Yeah, you get to see new parts but the "wow" factor isn't as big as it was in 2007.

That said, it is a fantastic game. I'd probably rate the original a 9/10 and give the second about an 8. Well worth the time to play through. The Minerva's Den DLC is amazing as well.

it is open for preorder at bestbuy canada as well. but not at bestbuy us yet. i know i can preorder it at amazon right now but i want to use my bestbuy rewards certificate...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='maximumzero']Not even 24 hours has passed and I'm already second-guessing my Amazon order.

I wasn't necessarily interested in the game when it first came out, I don't know if I am now.

I think I'm gonna cancel it.[/QUOTE]

Keep it Bioshock is one of the best games of this generation.

I just recently got addicted to collecting blu ray movies so idk if I'll be able to buy this with DREDD, End of watch, and Seven Psychopaths and best buys upgrade and save all coming this month. Ughh.. This collection is so awesome

[quote name='camoor']Bioshock is probably my favorite game of all time.[/QUOTE]

Looks like someone never played System Shock 2

I never picked up Bioshock 2, and I only barely started Bioshock 1, so I'll definitely have to consider this. Any word on if the extras are on a voucher, or if it will all be on the disk(s)?

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']I never picked up Bioshock 2, and I only barely started Bioshock 1, so I'll definitely have to consider this. Any word on if the extras are on a voucher, or if it will all be on the disk(s)?[/QUOTE]

It's on the disc.

[quote name='chunlirocks']Looks like someone never played System Shock 2[/QUOTE]while I wouldn't give best game of all time to either, I will agree that the conversations in this thread lend one to believe that most cags in here have never played system shock 1 or 2.

that's the real shame. imagine if they remade those and included those? that could be the best bonus of all time.

Never played System Shock 1 or 2. Loved both Bioshock 1 & 2 though. I don't play PC games, as i rarely ever have enough time to play all of my console games as it is, so i don't bother with PC.

And for all the early adopters, the people that helped build the Bioshock enterprise, the fans of both games that bought them when they were made available...

2511664-10f58233-2f8a-40c4-a9b3-4aac7d533ba8.jpg

sweet. my rz certs from my tradeins will be ready by the time this comes out and it will be freeee for me. oh, if ur wondering which platform to get it on, 360 is better per lens of truth and digital foundry. if u only have ps3 then no big deal.

This is a really good deal. LOVED the first game, second was good but not as good. Played thru most of the DLC already (and a ton of the MP just to get the plat). Stickers don't thrill me that much, but oh well. Hard to pass up if you've never got into both games.

[quote name='technicalstylez']sweet. my rz certs from my tradeins will be ready by the time this comes out and it will be freeee for me. oh, if ur wondering which platform to get it on, 360 is better per lens of truth and digital foundry. if u only have ps3 then no big deal.[/QUOTE]

The ps3 version of the original came out a year later with higher res textures so that version is better, but the second looks better as far as colors and details on the 360. I have both games for 360, ps3, and PC and I still may get this!

[quote name='Zimmy']And for all the early adopters, the people that helped build the Bioshock enterprise, the fans of both games that bought them when they were made available...

2511664-10f58233-2f8a-40c4-a9b3-4aac7d533ba8.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What do you expect? A blow job? You've been able to play the games for years.

[quote name='Zimmy']And for all the early adopters, the people that helped build the Bioshock enterprise, the fans of both games that bought them when they were made available...[/QUOTE]

They got to play BS1 about half a decade ago before those who bought this collection. Oh and Xbox owners did get the BS1 DLC for free, which was later included with the PS3 version when that was released.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']What do you expect? A blow job? You've been able to play the games for years.[/QUOTE]

No shit. At what point did buying something years ago entitle you to something in the future?

Unless we're talking about a subscription service.

I paid retail price for the Bioshock 1 Limited Edition with the Big Daddy, I could sell that for a profit if I wanted, does that count?

[quote name='maximumzero']Not even 24 hours has passed and I'm already second-guessing my Amazon order.

I think I'm gonna cancel it.[/QUOTE]

Not playing Bioshock is like not playing the Legend of Zelda. It is one of the greatest games of all time.

I might get this and give away my vanilla copies.

I would encourage anyone who has not played BS2 to skip it. It's literally one of the worst gaming experiences i've ever had. Almost everything that made Bioshock special was stripped away or streamlined. No backtracking, no Super Metroid style progression, no self contained stories for different areas...and as if all that wasn't bad enough, its filled with monster closets rather than roaming baddies.

It took 5 studios to finish that that turd. That's why it feels like a hobbled together mess. The MP was made by yet another studio, and its fucking pitiful.

[quote name='henry00x']Bioshock 1 remains one of my favorite games of all time, just incredible[/QUOTE]
Truly spoken like a gamer who hasn't played the System Shock series.

[quote name='Zimmy']And for all the early adopters, the people that helped build the Bioshock enterprise, the fans of both games that bought them when they were made available...[/QUOTE]

I own both Bioshock 1, Bioshock 2 and even bought the DLC (during sale mind you). Why would I even be mad? This is a good for newcomers at a price that's competitive to the used market.

Bioshock 1 is the Metroid Prime of this generation and is a must-play.

I would buy this if both games did not have huge install sizes. Having the disc for BS1 and 2, each game requires a mandatory 5GB install (this is not counting DLC). What would make me buy this is if we did not have to do those crazy installs.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']I would buy this if both games did not have huge install sizes. Having the disc for BS1 and 2, each game requires a mandatory 5GB install (this is not counting DLC). What would make me buy this is if we did not have to do those crazy installs.[/QUOTE]

That's what drives me crazy s out PS3 sometimes.

[quote name='Flowstance']I might get this and give away my vanilla copies.

I would encourage anyone who has not played BS2 to skip it. It's literally one of the worst gaming experiences i've ever had. Almost everything that made Bioshock special was stripped away or streamlined. No backtracking, no Super Metroid style progression, no self contained stories for different areas...and as if all that wasn't bad enough, its filled with monster closets rather than roaming baddies.

It took 5 studios to finish that that turd. That's why it feels like a hobbled together mess. The MP was made by yet another studio, and its fucking pitiful.[/QUOTE]

People would be missing a good game. Is it as good as the first one? Of course not. The biggest problem is that Rapture was essentially a character in Bioshock and it was impossible to replicate that in a sequel. People who hate on the second one simply had too high of expectations for a sequel that in no way could live up to the original and was made by different studios. And thank goodness they gave you the ability to weild a plasma and a gun at the same time, I hated switching back and forth all the time in the first one. Oh, I thought the multiplayer was fun because it put you in small maps, forced the action, and took out the things in hardcore multiplayer games that turn off the casual fan of the game. The Minerva's Den dlc was very good and was almost like Bioshock 2.5.

[quote name='slowdive21']Not playing Bioshock is like not playing the Legend of Zelda. It is one of the greatest games of all time.[/QUOTE]

Trying to reduce my backlog as it is, and I'm not 100% interested in a game, why bother?

[quote name='Flowstance']I might get this and give away my vanilla copies.

It took 5 studios to finish that that turd. That's why it feels like a hobbled together mess. The MP was made by yet another studio, and its fucking pitiful.[/QUOTE]

U mad bro?

Bioshock 2 wasn't as good as the first one but its far from the worst game.

[quote name='n00bie']U mad bro?

Bioshock 2 wasn't as good as the first one but its far from the worst game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Bioshock 2 definitely didn't make me that mad...

What is this craziness? BioShock 2 was a great game (even though it wasn't as good as the first, but people who were expecting that set themselves up for disappointment)

This is a case of people getting upset about hype and expectations, bioshock 2 wasn't the most amazing game in the world like you had expected/wanted, so you get upset and all of a sudden its the worst ever! Thats not how it works, judge a game on it's own merit, so WHAT if its essentially the same as the original, its called BIOSHOCK TWO expect the damn same... PERSONALLY I say its worth it if you dont have it.

Halo05 said it best, Bioshock 2 didn't have the "wow" factor going for it because we've already experienced Rapture, but that's hardly a reason to knock it. It was a fantastic sequel and definitely underrated.

I wouldn't say Bio2 had monster closets but I think it definitely had more areas where you could play with your weapons, plasmids & tonics, set traps and try shit out on enemies. I think Bio1 had such a strong difficulty curve that once you found a weapon/plasmid combo that worked you stuck with it. There wasn't really a reason to try out different options.

All that being said, I think Minerva's Den is the best DLC since DLC hit this gen.

I own both and all the DLC and will still probably buy this. :lol:

[quote name='slowdive21']Not playing Bioshock is like not playing the Legend of Zelda. It is one of the greatest games of all time.[/QUOTE]

If there was a thumbs up feature here on cag just like on youtube you would have a thumbs up from me.

ok i've never played bioshock 1 and 2 or really seen anything about them. I know there are big daddy characters and little girls and the 5 minutes i played of the demo way back in the day i know you start off in like a plane crash or something. I know your in some underwater 50's era thing.

Thats everything I know about these games.

Now i own both these games on PC steam (picked up from amazon with spec ops last week).

Which would be the better way to play this? buying this for xbox 360 or playing my pc version. Is the pc versions better in anyway? my PC is a beast so it can handle super texture packs or whatever if there are some. I also have a 360 controller for my pc.

But i would like to play on the couch with my 65" plasma. Unless the PC is just a better experience with better resolution/graphics/mods or whatever.

So which version should I play?

[quote name='chunlirocks']and so this bullshit full retail thread continues[/QUOTE]

You sir... are a very angry man.

:cool:

[quote name='sleepy180']ok i've never played bioshock 1 and 2 or really seen anything about them. I know there are big daddy characters and little girls and the 5 minutes i played of the demo way back in the day i know you start off in like a plane crash or something. I know your in some underwater 50's era thing.

Thats everything I know about these games.

Now i own both these games on PC steam (picked up from amazon with spec ops last week).

Which would be the better way to play this? buying this for xbox 360 or playing my pc version. Is the pc versions better in anyway? my PC is a beast so it can handle super texture packs or whatever if there are some. I also have a 360 controller for my pc.

But i would like to play on the couch with my 65" plasma. Unless the PC is just a better experience with better resolution/graphics/mods or whatever.

So which version should I play?[/QUOTE]

So you know nothing? Good play the first one first, since you already have it on PC I wouldn't recommend buying it again for the xbox, but imagining it on a 65 inch TV sounds really good. I got this day one on release for the xbox and I think there was one or two time that it freeze, but as far as I remember it runs great on the xbox. Specs wise I read that it runs better on PC, but go with what you feel comfort playing on.

Oh and you dont really have to play the second one in my opinion, its one of those games thats good but not necessary.

[quote name='maximumzero']Trying to reduce my backlog as it is, and I'm not 100% interested in a game, why bother?[/QUOTE]

Because the first Bioshock is THE best FPS made this generation and can be beaten in about twelve hours from what I remember. It has perfect level design, it's extremely fun to play and has a good story. (Not as good as some people make it out to be, but still good.) No excuses for not playing it. If you're pressed for time, pick up the first one on its own and forget about the second one. It's very good, but it's not going to be considered a classic in ten years.

[quote name='Maineavalanche']People would be missing a good game. Is it as good as the first one? Of course not. The biggest problem is that Rapture was essentially a character in Bioshock and it was impossible to replicate that in a sequel. People who hate on the second one simply had too high of expectations for a sequel that in no way could live up to the original and was made by different studios. And thank goodness they gave you the ability to weild a plasma and a gun at the same time, I hated switching back and forth all the time in the first one. Oh, I thought the multiplayer was fun because it put you in small maps, forced the action, and took out the things in hardcore multiplayer games that turn off the casual fan of the game. The Minerva's Den dlc was very good and was almost like Bioshock 2.5.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have high expectations for it at all actually, it was no secret that the real talent from Irrational was not involved. When they kept adding studio after studio to help finish it, I canceled my preorder and put it on my gamefly Q.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that my issues with the game were with the annoying shortcuts the devs took that ruined the feel of it for me. Monster closets and refusing to let me backtrack were choices they made to speed up development and cash in on the name. Fine by me, but I see no harm in warning people. Not everyone enjoys wasting 8 hours on a game thats "good enough". It's a poor sequel and it should be called out on that.

[quote name='n00bie']8 hours? Slow down man, no wonder you didn't enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Joke post? It's a pretty linear game...what exactly would I do outside the storyline?

Anyway, i'm not sure why i'm responding to people who go out of their way to misunderstand my complaints on it. I just thought people could use another opinion on a game that I think kinda took some of the magic from Rapture. I wish i'd have just played the first.

[quote name='Flowstance']Anyway, I just wanted to point out that my issues with the game were with the annoying shortcuts the devs took that ruined the feel of it for me. Monster closets and refusing to let me backtrack were choices they made to speed up development and cash in on the name.[/QUOTE]If anything the inclusion of backtracking is a means of speeding up development time. Rather than making a linear game with 10 areas, they can make a game with 7 areas, force the player to backtrack, and achieve the same amount of gameplay time.

[quote name='Flowstance']Not everyone enjoys wasting 8 hours on a game thats "good enough". It's a poor sequel and it should be called out on that.[/QUOTE]I immensely enjoyed the story and atmosphere of Bioshock 1, but I'd still rather play Bioshock 2 any day of the week. While the story of Bioshock 2 was weaker its shooting mechanics just felt far more satisfying and there was a reason to use more than just your melee weapon throughout the entire game. Both are great games with their own strengths and weaknesses.

[quote name='Thrinn']If anything the inclusion of backtracking is a means of speeding up development time. Rather than making a linear game with 10 areas, they can make a game with 7 areas, force the player to backtrack, and achieve the same amount of gameplay time.[/QUOTE]

Have you played Bs1? There is very little forced backtracking in it... I'm not complaining that they didn't herd me to the same areas multiple times in Bs2, i'm complaining that I couldn't return to get collectibles and explore. Every station was a self contained level that you had to leave behind forever, and there were basically no non essential areas, so nothing to explore anyway.

If you think that type of design takes more time to perfect and polish than a huge connected world that saves all your actions and lets you return and explore anywhere for most of the game, i'm not sure what to tell you. It certainly and objectively doesn't, but you're entitled to your opinion.

bread's done
Back