Blu-Rays/DVD with Movie Cash List and Deals

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']are the X-Men movies still on sale? thought that was only good last week.[/QUOTE]

I just bought 1 through 3 for $7.99 each. Got me 3 movie cash tickets for tonight :). Wolverine Origins was also $7.99.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']are the X-Men movies still on sale? thought that was only good last week.[/QUOTE]

I also saw shelf tags yesterday for all of them for $7.99. Maybe they extended it?

Hmmm, wouldnt mind getting Predator and movie cash to see the new Xmen. Id like to see Green Lantern as well.

I added the blu-rays with Cowboys & Aliens movie cash from the Wal-mart list posted on this thread to the OP. There were some additional regular DVDs on the list as well if you swing that way.

[quote name='TealPavelski']Any idea how much the Cowboys & Aliens cash covers? I know the GL cash is only $8.[/QUOTE]

We probably won't know for certain until they start actually appearing out in the wild (both the titles on walmart.com and LinkinPrime's NBC-Universal Store link are "preorders" right now), which is why I didn't put an amount in the OP when I added it. However, LinkinPrime's link states that the amount is $10. I'll just add that amount and expiration date from that link to the OP for now, can always change it later if it proves to be incorrect.

I don't believe C&A is in 3D, so even $8 like the GL movie cash would work for me at my local theater. I think I might pick up the Bourne Trilogy Blu-Ray's.

[quote name='TealPavelski']I don't believe C&A is in 3D[/QUOTE]

You're correct, it's definitely going to be 2D, here's Jon Favreau (the director) talking about considering 3D, but ultimately deciding to do 2D at the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con, If anyone's that impatient the part I'm talking about is 45 seconds into the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zSCOfWJV1M

Hey this is a nice thread but can I request you add something to the OP? The expiration dates are MUCH sooner than printed. For instance, the priest ticket at the end of the month is 7/31. However, if you try to use it now it will not go through because it is no longer showing at theatres. The actual expirations for all these 'free tickets' are not the printed dates but whenever they stop showing the movie. I printed one of the priest ones and went to the ticket counter and the guy told me since they are not showing priest any more they can not take the ticket. Sucks but it is what it is.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Hey this is a nice thread but can I request you add something to the OP? The expiration dates are MUCH sooner than printed. For instance, the priest ticket at the end of the month is 7/31. However, if you try to use it now it will not go through because it is no longer showing at theatres. The actual expirations for all these 'free tickets' are not the printed dates but whenever they stop showing the movie. I printed one of the priest ones and went to the ticket counter and the guy told me since they are not showing priest any more they can not take the ticket. Sucks but it is what it is.[/QUOTE]

It's too bad they won't take it anyways as they would be re-reimbursed...however how would the studio know if they are not playing the movie any more? I can totally understand if it was used 3 months after the movie came out...but sometimes either people don't have time to see it during the first two weeks or it's completely gone within 2 weeks if it's a bad movie/non profitable movie.. Lost my free passes to source code because of this :(

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Hey this is a nice thread but can I request you add something to the OP? The expiration dates are MUCH sooner than printed. For instance, the priest ticket at the end of the month is 7/31. However, if you try to use it now it will not go through because it is no longer showing at theatres. The actual expirations for all these 'free tickets' are not the printed dates but whenever they stop showing the movie. I printed one of the priest ones and went to the ticket counter and the guy told me since they are not showing priest any more they can not take the ticket. Sucks but it is what it is.[/QUOTE]Lol I hate to say this, but DUH.

Is there another theater around you that is showing the film?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mr_burnzz']Hey this is a nice thread but can I request you add something to the OP? The expiration dates are MUCH sooner than printed. For instance, the priest ticket at the end of the month is 7/31. However, if you try to use it now it will not go through because it is no longer showing at theatres. The actual expirations for all these 'free tickets' are not the printed dates but whenever they stop showing the movie. I printed one of the priest ones and went to the ticket counter and the guy told me since they are not showing priest any more they can not take the ticket. Sucks but it is what it is.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it's impossible to predict when a movie will be leaving your local theaters, as it's usually based on demand. Priest is gone here too, well before the movie cash has run out, but it may well still be playing in other theaters elsewhere. At the same time, the Hangover 2 movie cash just passed its expiration date and that movie is still playing on two screens at the theater that I usually go to.

Basically, you do have to use some common sense with it -- if the movie isn't doing particularly well, or if there are a ton of other newer, hotter movies coming out (I mean, how do you even expect Priest to compete with X-Men, Pirates, etc.?), then it's not going to be around as long. Even more so if you live in a smaller area with less theaters. It should also be common sense (even if you didn't bother to read the ticket, where it's clearly stated) that once the movie in question is gone, the movie cash for it will no longer be valid either (technically, the theater isn't supposed to be accepting it for other movies, even if they will do so).

Basically, when you get movie cash, you shouldn't just sit on it indefinitely. If a movie is doing well, you're probably ok waiting a little while, but if there are signs that the movie is dying off, you should make sure to use it while you still can.

so let me get this straight, you tried to uses passes for priest on a non priest movie? why would you think this would work? also, they state right on the passes, till x date or until movie is not in theaters, whicheve happens first.

One thing that you also got to look out for is some of these free tickets say DISCOVER on them. Some theaters don't accept Discover. What is weird is that the other day when me and my gf went and used 2 XM:FC tickets, we were told they could not be used because they don't take discover cards. Manager came in and tried the transaction. On one attempt it wouldn't take them, so he tried again. Second attempt 1 ticket was valid for the full 12 and the second ticket only 6. Third attempt at this for some reason it didn't want to go at all for both of them. Frustrated, he ripped up the tickets and threw them away and said come with me.... he then said go ahead and enjoy the movie on me! :) That was weird.

So call ahead of time before you go to the theater to see if they accept discover if the ticket said discover on it or else you might run into technical difficulties.

As long as you go to a theater that's on the list on the offer website, you shouldn't have a problem. Pretty much all of these deals make you specifically select the theater you'll be going to precisely to avoid problems with people trying to use the certificates in theaters that can't or won't accept them.

[quote name='arcane93']As long as you go to a theater that's on the list on the offer website, you shouldn't have a problem. Pretty much all of these deals make you specifically select the theater you'll be going to precisely to avoid problems with people trying to use the certificates in theaters that can't or won't accept them.[/QUOTE]

Well that's funny because the theater we went to was listed as one of the theaters that accepted them. Heck I originally was going to see Hangover 2 in one theater but at the last minute we decided to go to the closer one and it went thru no problem.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Well that's funny because the theater we went to was listed as one of the theaters that accepted them. Heck I originally was going to see Hangover 2 in one theater but at the last minute we decided to go to the closer one and it went thru no problem.[/QUOTE]

My suspicion would be that the guy just didn't know what he was doing, and he messed it up. It's not a coupon where they enter the number and it tells them what it's worth, it's essentially a credit card number which they enter to pay for the transaction -- therefore, there shouldn't have been any way that it would have come up as only $6 unless he entered it as only $6. Also, it's not a surprise that neither one worked when he tried them again -- at that point, they had already been redeemed, and the numbers are single-use.

Not sure how it is where you are, but around here at least, the people behind the ticket counter are far from the best and the brightest. I've learned to always allow an extra 15 minutes at the theater that we go to when we have movie cash, because it takes the woman that we usually get there that long to complete the transaction on two tickets. She always gets it right in the end, but she's never quick about it.

Yea I don't know what was going on with his screen but I could tell he was getting frustrated after several attempts so he pretty much said fuck it and gave it to us for free. I was even willing to pay the 6 dollar difference. He did say however that they don't have enough staff to watch everyone coming in and out...............hmmmm..... not a good idea to tell customers that. As for the passes themselves, my guess is that because he did not complete the transaction, it did not send the information out and therefore the passes were still good when he ripped them up and let us in for free.

[quote name='arcane93']My suspicion would be that the guy just didn't know what he was doing, and he messed it up. It's not a coupon where they enter the number and it tells them what it's worth, it's essentially a credit card number which they enter to pay for the transaction -- therefore, there shouldn't have been any way that it would have come up as only $6 unless he entered it as only $6. Also, it's not a surprise that neither one worked when he tried them again -- at that point, they had already been redeemed, and the numbers are single-use.

Not sure how it is where you are, but around here at least, the people behind the ticket counter are far from the best and the brightest. I've learned to always allow an extra 15 minutes at the theater that we go to when we have movie cash, because it takes the woman that we usually get there that long to complete the transaction on two tickets. She always gets it right in the end, but she's never quick about it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mr_burnzz']hey this is a nice thread but can i request you add something to the op? The expiration dates are much sooner than printed. For instance, the priest ticket at the end of the month is 7/31. However, if you try to use it now it will not go through because it is no longer showing at theatres. The actual expirations for all these 'free tickets' are not the printed dates but whenever they stop showing the movie. I printed one of the priest ones and went to the ticket counter and the guy told me since they are not showing priest any more they can not take the ticket. Sucks but it is what it is.[/quote]

booo-urns

Well I didn't read all of the fine print but the expiration date clearly states 7/31 so I printed the 'ticket' and went to watch xmen without checking if priest was still playing. Well it wasn't so I had to pay for it. It seems like most of you guys are so smart to figure this all out but I bought the 3 blu rays with the priest tickets with the intention of using it until 7/31. Seemed logical to me. They should have said the expiration is whenever the movie stops showing at the theatre. But that would mean the expiration is sooner making the blu rays less desirable. If I had known this initally, I would've just bought 2 instead of 3. Just putting it out there for anyone else that plans on holding the tickets for a while. Use them shits up!

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Note before spending $$$ on movies just to get Green Lantern movie cash:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Reviews of the film are not just awful...
they're rotten!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/green_lantern/

29% at Rotten Tomatoes rotten.

:whistle2:# :whistle2:# :whistle2:#
[/QUOTE]

When I see a free movie pass on a movie, I am wondering if it is going to be bad. Some free passes to movies were great don't get me wrong...but I am wondering how much money these studios are losing by doing this.....

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Well I didn't read all of the fine print but the expiration date clearly states 7/31 so I printed the 'ticket' and went to watch xmen without checking if priest was still playing. Well it wasn't so I had to pay for it. It seems like most of you guys are so smart to figure this all out but I bought the 3 blu rays with the priest tickets with the intention of using it until 7/31. Seemed logical to me. They should have said the expiration is whenever the movie stops showing at the theatre. But that would mean the expiration is sooner making the blu rays less desirable. If I had known this initally, I would've just bought 2 instead of 3. Just putting it out there for anyone else that plans on holding the tickets for a while. Use them shits up![/QUOTE]

are you serious? Do you research before going to the movie to see if your theater is still playing it.. if you see a sudden drop to either later showings or only like 3 or 4 showings a day....then it's pretty much about to get the boot by that friday (when the new movie comes out).

I'm not a fan of Rotten Tomatoes rating. People see a squashed tomato and assume the movie is horrible but those reviews come from critics that movie snobs.

The Hangover Part 2 and On Stranger Tides are at 35% and 33% with critics but 94% and 64% with the audience. Are these movies going to win major awards? No. Are they going to be entertaining to Joe Schmoe? Probably. That being said I don't have high expectations for GL but I'm sure it will be entertaining for a boring summer day.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']I had a feeling it was going to be terrible (Reynolds is a terrible actor) but only 14 people have rated it, so I would be a little more cautious while interpreting that rating.[/QUOTE]
Well, the reason why only 14 reviews are out so far (unlike Thor who had around 40 a week before the release) was that WB placed an embargo on movie reviews for Green Lantern:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=39343

WB trying to place an Embargo on Green Lantern movie reviews until June 16

I bet you've been wondering why we haven't seen a lot of reviews for Warner Bros. and Martin Campbell's upcoming comic book adaptation Green Lantern starring Ryan Reynolds, Mark Strong and Blake Lively.

That's because all reviews are embargoed until June 16. Yes, no reviews until only one day before the film is released.

In many cases this is definitely not a good sign and who knows what are the reasons for doing that. This could change, but it won't matter that much since the film is coming out this week

Even IGN big comic book geeks themselves called it a failure:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/117/1175316p1.html

DC's latest superhero is a Cosmic Fail

Last summer gave us the DC bomb that was Jonah Hex and this summer offers the colossal disappointment that is Green Lantern. The epitome of spectacle over substance, Green Lantern is a cosmic mess and a huge letdown given the source material it had to draw from. Indeed, X-Men: The Last Stand and Wolverine are better than Green Lantern. This was DC and Warner Bros.' best bet yet at establishing a deeper bullpen of big screen superheroes beyond Batman and Superman, but the film is bad enough to possibly kill any hope for ever seeing The Flash or Justice League.

...I can't stress enough what a setback the creative failure of Green Lantern is for DC and Warners' plans for a broader DC cinematic universe akin to Marvel's. Even if the movie makes money (I'm sure it will open strongly and probably do well overseas), it's not a film that DC or Warners can honestly say they're happy with. If DC and Warners had hoped this would be their Star Wars (a comparison the filmmakers have been all too happy to make for months now) then Green Lantern only offers fans the wonder of the creature-filled cantina scene, but none of the thrill of the Death Star run or the emotional resonance of any of its iconic characters. No, this isn't DC's Star Wars. It's not even their Last Starfighter; it's their Flash Gordon, but without the cool tunes or self-aware cheesiness. It's a frustrating, deeply flawed film rife with missed story opportunities and squandered potential. Green Lantern deserved better.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Well, the reason why only 14 reviews are out so far (unlike Thor who had around 40 a week before the release) was that WB placed an embargo on movie reviews for Green Lantern:[/QUOTE]That has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make...

I really don't get the point of embargo's on movie... they (the studios) pretty much just shoot themselves in the foot when they do this as people usually think "uh oh..it must be bad if they are trying to shhh people from talking about it until release date..."...If it's THAT BAD, just make it DTV. Geez

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']That has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make...[/QUOTE]
Well... Rotten Tomato is projecting "Green Lantern" will be Rotten with a 35% rating (so far at 29%).

They were really close with "Thor" giving it a Fresh 75% forecast (it was 77%), and "X-Men First Class" at about 90% (currently at 88%).

And Warner Bros knew it, which is the reason for the Embargo on the movie reviews for Green Lantern. Where else have you seen a studio do this? They really wanted to protect their $300 million investment, but it backfired.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296665

[quote name='ITDEFX']When I see a free movie pass on a movie, I am wondering if it is going to be bad. Some free passes to movies were great don't get me wrong...but I am wondering how much money these studios are losing by doing this.....[/QUOTE]

I've wondered how exactly the movie cash works into the movie studios' profit plans as well, but I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with the quality of the movie. Of the movies that I've seen with movie cash recently -- X-Men First Class, Pirates 4, Hangover 2, Bridesmaids, Priest -- only Priest has really been a "bomb", and to be honest I enjoyed it as well. I can't say that I fully understand the motivation behind the movie cash offers, but I don't think the quality of the movie or the box office expectations really have much to do with it.

As far as Green Lantern goes... Meh. Green Lantern was one of my favorite comics as a kid, so it's pretty much a given that I'm going to go see the movie regardless of the reviews. If nothing else, having the movie cash will maybe take a bit of the sting out of it if it turns out to really suck. :lol:

I went to the store with my Droid Charge about 2 hrs ago and no luck finding any of these movies at all. They will probably show up with the sticker closer to the movie's release date.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Note before spending $$$ on movies just to get Green Lantern movie cash:

Reviews of the film are not just awful... they're rotten!

[/QUOTE]
The thing that sucks about the Green Lantern movie cash is you only get $8. Movie tickets in my area are $12 meaning I have to shell out $4 extra for a movie that is getting bombed worse than Pearl Harbor. It's stuck right now at a ROTTEN 29%.

The X-Men First Class movie cash was at least a whole $12, and nothing beats getting a FREE movie that was pretty good and garnered critical acclaim as well - FRESH 87% score.

Reviews of the film are not just awful... they're rotten!

[/QUOTE]
The thing that sucks about the Green Lantern movie cash is you only get $8. Movie tickets in my area are $12 meaning I have to shell out $4 extra for a movie (plus the $19.99 for the blu-ray) that is getting bombed worse than Pearl Harbor. It's stuck right now at a ROTTEN 29%.

The X-Men First Class movie cash was at least a whole $12, with the blu-rays only costing $7.99, and nothing beats getting a FREE movie that was pretty good and garnered critical acclaim as well - FRESH 87% score.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']The thing that sucks about the Green Lantern movie cash is you only get $8. Movie tickets in my area are $12 meaning I have to shell out $4 extra for a movie (plus the $19.99 for the blu-ray) that is getting bombed worse than Pearl Harbor. It's stuck right now at a ROTTEN 29%.

The X-Men First Class movie cash was at least a whole $12, with the blu-rays only costing $7.99, and nothing beats getting a FREE movie that was pretty good and garnered critical acclaim as well - FRESH 87% score.[/QUOTE]

Yea they are throwing weird values with these promos....8....12....5.....10.

The only way I can get in for free is if it's at AMC before 12pm on weekends, otherwise I half to pay the difference which isn't much....but those 3d/imax only movies can cost you :(

I was at BJ's Wholesale and they had 1-6 of the Harry Potter series for 9.99 plus $8 vouchers for the film good between the 15th and 31st of July.

I ended up buying 4 but they had a bunch so I assume they just put them out today since I was just there Thursday.

Hope this helps someone out.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']The thing that sucks about the Green Lantern movie cash is you only get $8. Movie tickets in my area are $12 meaning I have to shell out $4 extra for a movie (plus the $19.99 for the blu-ray) that is getting bombed worse than Pearl Harbor. It's stuck right now at a ROTTEN 29%.

The X-Men First Class movie cash was at least a whole $12, with the blu-rays only costing $7.99, and nothing beats getting a FREE movie that was pretty good and garnered critical acclaim as well - FRESH 87% score.[/QUOTE]

Love the sense of entitlement here -- you act like they owe you something. They don't have to give movie cash promotions at all, and they're very upfront about how much it's worth. You don't like it? Don't think it's enough movie cash to bother? Don't think the movie will be worth your time? Then don't buy it, simple as that. The way I look at it, $8 in movie cash is still about a 66% discount on the ticket price, as long as I'm not buying blu-rays that I wouldn't even have wanted otherwise.

Also, there are several blu-ray titles with the Green Lantern cash that are $9.99, and several more that are $14.99 and are taken down to $9.99 with the Best Buy $5 coupon. If you paid $19.99 for a blu-ray to get the movie cash, that was your choice.

[quote name='brauma']I was at BJ's Wholesale and they had 1-6 of the Harry Potter series for 9.99 plus $8 vouchers for the film good between the 15th and 31st of July.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I'm holding out on buying any Harry Potter blu-rays until there's just one big box set of all of them. Hope they put that on a few other titles as well.

[quote name='arcane93']
Damn, I'm holding out on buying any Harry Potter blu-rays until there's just one big box set of all of them. Hope they put that on a few other titles as well.[/QUOTE]

Me too. You know there is going to be some super collectors edition and I will want it. Must hold out.

I don't know what other movies could have the movie cash though. Usually they are similar movies, actors, directors, etc but Harry Potter doesn't really have that.

[quote name='arcane93']Love the sense of entitlement here -- you act like they owe you something. They don't have to give movie cash promotions at all, and they're very upfront about how much it's worth. You don't like it? Don't think it's enough movie cash to bother? Don't think the movie will be worth your time? Then don't buy it, simple as that. The way I look at it, $8 in movie cash is still about a 66% discount on the ticket price, as long as I'm not buying blu-rays that I wouldn't even have wanted otherwise.

[/QUOTE]
Damn right!

After seeing this lifeless and unengaging movie, I want my $8 movie cash back so I can sell it to some 9 year old kid.

[quote name='arcane93']Love the sense of entitlement here -- you act like they owe you something. They don't have to give movie cash promotions at all, and they're very upfront about how much it's worth. You don't like it? Don't think it's enough movie cash to bother? Don't think the movie will be worth your time? Then don't buy it, simple as that. The way I look at it, $8 in movie cash is still about a 66% discount on the ticket price, as long as I'm not buying blu-rays that I wouldn't even have wanted otherwise.

Also, there are several blu-ray titles with the Green Lantern cash that are $9.99, and several more that are $14.99 and are taken down to $9.99 with the Best Buy $5 coupon. If you paid $19.99 for a blu-ray to get the movie cash, that was your choice.

Damn, I'm holding out on buying any Harry Potter blu-rays until there's just one big box set of all of them. Hope they put that on a few other titles as well.[/QUOTE]

He does have a point...quit your bitching...your getting an amount taken off...stop thrashing a movie in this thread or else a mod is gonna come in and clean it up...if you really are bothered by the negative reviews..then don't waste your time/money on this....here is a thought...use the ticket to see another movie that you might want to see instead........oh my god..why didn't anyone think of that?

:lol:

[quote name='ITDEFX']He does have a point...quit your bitching...your getting an amount taken off...stop thrashing a movie in this thread or else a mod is gonna come in and clean it up...if you really are bothered by the negative reviews..then don't waste your time/money on this....here is a thought...use the ticket to see another movie that you might want to see instead........oh my god..why didn't anyone think of that?

:lol:[/QUOTE]

Heh. I don't see a huge problem with discussing whether the movies are even worth seeing, as long as it doesn't drag the thread too far off topic. But bitching about the amount of the movie cash? It's cool that they even offer these deals at all, and as I said, they're totally up front about the amount -- it's clearly printed on the sticker. Acting like they somehow owe you more when it's totally their decision to even offer it at all is lame. If the deal isn't worth it to you, then just move on.

[quote name='brauma']I was at BJ's Wholesale and they had 1-6 of the Harry Potter series for 9.99 plus $8 vouchers for the film good between the 15th and 31st of July.

I ended up buying 4 but they had a bunch so I assume they just put them out today since I was just there Thursday.

Hope this helps someone out.[/QUOTE]

Toysrus has the DVDS for 1-6 for 9.99 too with movie cash. Kinda wished the movie cash deal was on some other warner movies, since if someone is wanting to see the last one, good chance they own the others!

[quote name='brauma']I was at BJ's Wholesale and they had 1-6 of the Harry Potter series for 9.99 plus $8 vouchers for the film good between the 15th and 31st of July.

Hope this helps someone out.[/QUOTE]

Were they single disc versions?

Just wanted to mention :br:300 is on sale for $9.99 at Best Buy, and comes with Green Lantern movie cash. A pretty good deal if you actually want to see the movie!

bread's done
Back