Brink - A new kind of FPS? Out now! First DLC FREE!

also, PS3 version is supposed to be better. The patch (last I checked) is only for the 360 version.
If the PS3 version is bad though I don't think it will get an update soon:cry:

[quote name='serenitygod']nice heads-up but I think you mean reserved.
Preserved is the bottle of champaign you didn't open when you read the reviews.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I meant reserved, I don't know why I put the "p" in there haha. But yes, sadly, no code, I'm thinking it'll be the same for other games in that are releasing this May like L.A. Noire. :(

[quote name='serenitygod']nice heads-up but I think you mean reserved.
Preserved is the bottle of champaign you didn't open when you read the reviews.[/QUOTE]

Nice correction but I think you meant Champagne.
Champaign is the 'word' you write when you get overconfident on the internet.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Nice correction but I think you meant Champagne.
Champaign is the 'word' you write when you get overconfident on the internet.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Come on... PSN.

whoa left hand that was totally out of line you are going to get an email about how serenity aka turdburglar is disgusted by your comment.

[quote name='bjstucker']whoa left hand that was totally out of line you are going to get an email about how serenity aka turdburglar is disgusted by your comment.[/QUOTE]

hahahahahahahaha

[quote name='8bitArtist']the joystiq reviewer is taking heat for supposedly only playing 2 hours before reviewing the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought it was just a quick gut feeling/reaction before I saw it was a "full review " with a score and everything.

I was still considering getting it today. But then i woke up and realized Best Buy doesnt give 20$ for Fallout:NV anymore (Apparently it dropped in less than 10 hours?)

Either way, i guess it wasnt meant for me to get this. Dont really feel like paying 40+$ for it at the moment, especially with L.A Noire next week, and DoA Dimensions the week afterward.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']Giant bomb has 40 min quick look and it looks terrible. I really want to like this game but no online on PSN and stupid Al bots makes this game a no go for me.[/QUOTE]

I watched that too and had almost the opposite reaction. I think it looks great and is held back by bots and stupid players... none of which would matter if you play with a solid squad. Impossible of course with no PSN.

my buddy got it and he said the AI isnt nearly as bad as the reviews are making it out to be. he said he runs as a the spy and any objective that isnt spy related, his AI team almost always go for and fights for it. another thing he said was he was running to a side objective as a spy and one AI went with him and covered a door while he was hacking and then 2 other AI guys on his team came in and covered the other doors.

[quote name='8bitArtist']my buddy got it and he said the AI isnt nearly as bad as the reviews are making it out to be. he said he runs as a the spy and any objective that isnt spy related, his AI team almost always go for and fights for it. another thing he said was he was running to a side objective as a spy and one AI went with him and covered a door while he was hacking and then 2 other AI guys on his team came in and covered the other doors.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I've been having a hit or miss experience with the AI. I played the first mission for the Resistance and half the time, I would have some of my Team's AI just standing there doing absolutely nothing. So I failed the mission. However, on the second playthrough, everything went very very smoothly. Some small dumb AI moments, but overall everything worked out fine.

This was done on Hard though, and honestly, it's not even that hard at all. Half the time I ended up taking the opposing team all on my own while my AI friends were, doing something else. Don't know what, but it looked like they were waiting for the opposing team on the map since they didn't move.

But don't expect to last too long soloing it though, you definitely need team support. As soon as I killed the opposing team on my own, they respawned and totally kicked my ass.

Two complaints that I do sorta have though. When you run out of Ammo...you run out of ammo. Either I don't know how at the moment, but usually your teammates will give you a pack of ammo to continue, but there's times where I'll be standing there or running around the map trying to see if any one of my teammates will give me ammo. It definitely sucks because you're forced to die and respawn.

Finally, meleeing someone isn't always solid. When you shoot someone and they're on the floor like you would if you were shot down waiting to be revived, you have to options, shooting them (wasting a whole clip) to kill them or you run up to them and melee them. Seeing as you want to preserve ammo (earlier complaint) meleeing sounds like a good idea. Not really, you have to put the damn crosshair on the person to melee them properly, or at least it's been like this for me. This doesn't sound all that bad, but it definitely is when you're trying to finish off the first wave before the next one comes. Those precious seconds always count here.

But so far, It's been really fun, I think it'd be a lot better if PSN was up though, that way we'd see how good it would be to play with an actual player.

[quote name='mguiddy']Regarding ammo...
Just use a command post, it refills all your ammo.[/QUOTE]

Think there is a skill you can unlock to to loot downed enemies for ammo.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Think there is a skill you can unlock to to loot downed enemies for ammo.[/QUOTE]
Not ammo, supplies. Which are the things that allow you to use your skills/throw grenades.
At least... that's how I understand it. Haven't used that skill yet.

Although the soldier can give themselves ammo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked this up with some of my Best Buy Certificates. After seeing what 99% of the consensus says at PS3T I think I might hold off on opening it in case there is a drop. Unless... does anyone know if there is a price drop at BB within 45 days if I can get the difference back?

[quote name='mguiddy']Not ammo, supplies. Which are the things that allow you to use your skills/throw grenades.
At least... that's how I understand it. Haven't used that skill yet.

Although the soldier can give themselves ammo.[/QUOTE]

Hmm from the video i saw, grenades slowly respawn after u use them.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Hmm from the video i saw, grenades slowly respawn after u use them.[/QUOTE]
They don't respawn so to speak, they have a cool down timer.
They use up your supply pips, and those respawn automatically, so in a way they do respawn, but if you're running around buffing your team then need to throw a grenade, you're SOL.
Watch the Giant Bomb video at around 11:20 in he throws a grenade at a turret, you'll see a supply pip go down.

[quote name='mguiddy']Regarding ammo...
Just use a command post, it refills all your ammo.[/QUOTE]

Did the Tutorial cover this? I probably missed it lol.

I don't think the introductory video does. Not sure if any other videos do, didn't watch them. Could've been mentioned in the hint system as well (when it prompts you to hit "Select" to see a tip). Just noticed it when I switched classes.

[quote name='serenitygod']let's applaud someone else who doesn't understand I was joking. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Turd-Burglar.jpg

[quote name='yourlefthand']Nice correction but I think you meant Champagne.
Champaign is the 'word' you write when you get overconfident on the internet.[/QUOTE]

oh snap!!!!:applause:

Anyone beat Day 3 of the "assault" campaign? I must have tried about 15 times and couldn't beat it..
Anyway I can't get past the part where after you hack the safe you have to bring the data pack to your base.
The bots are pretty much worthless.
I'm playing as Engineer and if I don't get the data pack, then a teammate bot will just pick up the data pack and just sit there and try to fight enemies and not try to capture the data pack back at base.
Or else the whole freaking enemy team will cover the area where the data pack was in the hacked safe, and the rest of my team is out wandering around.
I even tried the trick where you can go to the scoreboard and choose a few bots to be on your squad, and sometimes they follow you but most of the time they are off wandering around.

Also if an enemy team is capturing a command post, which one is it? Does it show on the HUD where they capture it?

Played this for about 45 minutes the other night and was not impressed. The SMART didn't really seem to work really well- but in the games defense, it's a new concept I'm not used to having available. I just want to use it to sale over obstacles- not to jump up to the 2nd story balcony and stuff that would be really helpful.

[quote name='Sinistar']Also if an enemy team is capturing a command post, which one is it? Does it show on the HUD where they capture it?[/QUOTE]
I think there's only two capturible command posts in each map (not sure, only played up to day 4 of the resistance campaign so far... wanted to play more last night but end up having a movie night :lol:). There's one health and one supply one I think. If you wonder where it is, just select it with the objective wheel.

[quote name='nbballard']Played this for about 45 minutes the other night and was not impressed. The SMART didn't really seem to work really well- but in the games defense, it's a new concept I'm not used to having available. I just want to use it to sale over obstacles- not to jump up to the 2nd story balcony and stuff that would be really helpful.[/QUOTE]
The light body type is more agile, though I haven't played as him so I don't know how much more agile he is.
I know a lot of people compared the SMART to Mirror's Edge, but from what I played of the Mirror's Edge, that seemed faster paced and more agile. Where SMART seemed more like real people jumping over and under obstacles.
I don't know... I kinda think it does what was intended (allowing people to go from here to there in a more fluid way compared to the typical "jump... jump... jump" that people would usually do in a FPS).

[quote name='mguiddy']The light body type is more agile, though I haven't played as him so I don't know how much more agile he is.
I know a lot of people compared the SMART to Mirror's Edge, but from what I played of the Mirror's Edge, that seemed faster paced and more agile. Where SMART seemed more like real people jumping over and under obstacles.
I don't know... I kinda think it does what was intended (allowing people to go from here to there in a more fluid way compared to the typical "jump... jump... jump" that people would usually do in a FPS).[/QUOTE]

Yea- i think my immediate problem with the game was that it has been previewed as a Mirror's Edge / FPS and it really isn't like that. It's more like a FPS that lets you move around the environment a little more smoothly than something like Killzone, CoD, etc. Next to ME though, it feels clunky.

The guns felt strange too- too weak, and a little strange when aiming (i'm assuming this gets fixed with upgrades as you level up). I kept finding myself getting fed-up with the aiming and trying to run in for a melee kill. This ALWAYS resulted in me dying. Then i would wait for a medic, who would die or never come. If I was revived, I would get killed again by the same group of guys that took me out the first time.

I'm willing to write it all off as it being a different experience than I'm used to and i'm planning on watching some more of the tutorial videos and trying to get a better feel for the pacing.

(Also - i agree with the CAG review. Seemed like the game spent more time on the character design than it did on a lot of other things).

nbballard, hey i think i know what you mean with aiming. the biggest thing for me is aiming down sights feels off. seems very delayed from the time you hit the button to when the animation happens. I'm comparing this with other games out there, borderlands, battlefield, call of duty, crysis. i almost don't ever used it unless your camped away somewhere and scoping. im hoping this is just because im a lower level. but it just doesnt feel right.

I turned off aim assist before I started playing. It is under options somewhere.

They can fine tune things via the Internet without the use of patches, so maybe they can speed up a few things like the down the sights view and movement.

I haven't dug too deep into the Abilities so maybe there is a skill there to help with that or a gun addon.

[quote name='serenitygod']let's applaud someone else who doesn't understand I was joking. :applause:[/QUOTE]

What were you joking about? Bad spelling?

Auto-aim. Maybe that's what I was feeling. Never felt like I could get a good lock on anyway. All my shots just went towards the guy- not towards his head or legs or something.

[quote name='serenitygod']yes. I am not perfect by any means I am reasonably smart though. I obviously meant to mis-spell it as a joke even the post was a fucking joke.[/QUOTE]

"obviously meant to mis-spell it"?

Sure.

Finally played it for the first time today. What a let down. The opposing team bots utterly destroy my team and it's always come down to the last 2 minutes to finish the damn objective. Man I hope this game is more fun with people...

Here is a trick for people having trouble with the time limit:

If you start up a campaign match and are finding it to be difficult, you have this option to glitch your timer. After you have lost the match, leave the game at the end game screen and wait. The longer you wait, the more time you get for your next attempt. You must hit "retry mission" in order for this to work, going back to the main menu will not work. If you wait one minute, you will get one minute.

I found this out by raging at a certain level, leaving, going into my roomates room and playing marvel with him. Came back into my room hit retry and had almost 4 hours to complete the mission.

SOURCE:
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/brink/106141-brink-mission-time-glitch.html

Tried it out a couple times and worked like a charm.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Finally played it for the first time today. What a let down. The opposing team bots utterly destroy my team and it's always come down to the last 2 minutes to finish the damn objective. Man I hope this game is more fun with people...[/QUOTE]

very disappointing. wish i could return games for a full refund. not much to this game. wish they would of just came out and said that this game doesn't have a campaign mode and stated it was online only. then i wouldn't be so upset.

[quote name='deletion']wish they would of just came out and said that this game doesn't have a campaign mode and stated it was online only. then i wouldn't be so upset.[/QUOTE]

They have been very upfront about this for at least a year. If you missed this, sorry, but the devs never hid this fact.

I really enjoy this game and as much as I hate games that realease lots of DLC; I think with this game it will work great. Looking forward to new maps and hopefully challenges.

i think playing this game with a set of 8 people who communicate and know whats up is going to be fun as fuck. im not disappointed in this game one bit.

[quote name='serenitygod']your just so cool. I wish I could hate on somebody in a public forum. That takes a lot of skill. In fact, IDk how to type can you send me a video on how to do that? Preferably one that is very slow. It has to be atleast 20 minutes long and should include a hyper-link to common spelling errors.
Then send me a video of your friend decapitating you.
Note* doesn't need to be in that order.
[/QUOTE]

PM from serenitygod - You spelled "Your" wrong... should be "You're". Obviously you meant to misspell that too.

bread's done
Back