CAG 3.0 Upgrade - News, Updates And Progress - Dark Theme, Feedback are Live - EVERYTHING is Coming Back Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we get a one-click method of seeing our recent subscribed threads, like before?

Also is there a one-click method to go to the most recent post of a thread that I'm just missing?

It really seems like everything that used to be fast and simple on the old forum is now buried behind multiple clicks.
You can click the circle or star to the left of a topic to go to the first post.
Seems like it should be the other way around.
Yeah I typed wrong. the icon takes you to the newest post.

Fixed the permissions problems so everyone can edit profile, change username (once per year), like & report posts, and other stuff that wasn't working properly.

Thanks for your continued patience.
Awesome ty. Glad to see I wasn't just really slow and overlooked something.

Oh I really like the feature of adding to your last post if you are the most recent poster!

The new format is really turning me off to even using the site.  Not having the font issues everyone else is but a ton of functionality is just gone or I can't find it, which makes browsing topics a chore.

- No forum preferences?  All of a sudden I'm seeing all forums instead of the filtered ones I used to have.

- Too much bloat for simple browsing.  There was nothing wrong with the compact listing of thread titles when I hit new posts before.  Now I need to scroll far too much due to wasted real estate on both margins and all the additional information provided for each post.  The titles of threads are also cut off way too much compared to before.  Do not want.

- I feel like I've already fully explored the site and it feels very light on functionality compared to 2.0.  Is there a FAQ to finding old features?  Right now I feel like 3.0 is very much a downgrade. :\

This theme... it's like Christmas and not the good one.

Edit: Whoa, this shit is pulling from my Wordpress account? And warning points? Is this 2005?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a reason why we HAVE to have our birth day and month displayed publicly...?
Just remove them in your settings. I don't keep personal info like that on forums anyway since it's none of their business.

Edit: And warning points? Is this 2005?
The warning points thing is cute, but I worry it will remove moditorial duties in that they can just hand out infractions like candy until half the userbase is banned. Half the reason I come here is for the hilarity of some posters, who would probably have been banned elsewhere with such stupid systems in place.

Aww, no more ninja edits either? It's a sad day for CAG. :(

Response time to cheapassgamer.com is soooo slow. Im sure it will improve.

Also got this:

An error occured with the SQL server:

mySQL query error: SELECT * FROM topic_ratings WHERE rating_tid=309612 and rating_member_id=32886

This is not a problem with the IPS Community Suite but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.

Is there a reason why we HAVE to have our birth day and month displayed publicly...?
Just remove them in your settings. I don't keep personal info like that on forums anyway since it's none of their business.
I'm not sure what you mean, but if you mean just delete them then I can't. CAG requires you to keep your birth date and month (but not your birth year). If you mean something else, then could you please explains?

I can't figure out shit in this new system...

Fixed the permissions problems so everyone can edit profile, change username (once per year), like & report posts, and other stuff that wasn't working properly.

Thanks for your continued patience.
I don't use any of the features stated often really but I'm still unable to do any of that and also can't access or receive PMs. I'm in no rush at all, know you guys are working your asses off, just figured I'd mention it.

Looks fixed. Sweet! You are a good man Cheapy.

"a dark version of the style using similar colours to the old CAG will be available, once all the main site features are converted and online."

Whew.

I know this has been addressed, butt he white background is ridiculously bright.

My eyes!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw[/youtube]

Just got this error opening the General Gaming and Industry Forum. Refreshed and it opened fine.

mySQL query error: SELECT f.*,p.*,itemmarking.* FROM forums f LEFT JOIN permission_index p ON ( p.perm_type='forum' AND p.app='forums' AND p.perm_type_id=f.id )
LEFT JOIN core_item_markers itemmarking ON ( itemmarking.item_member_id=13956 AND itemmarking.item_app='forums' AND itemmarking.item_app_key_1=f.id )
I'm getting that, too. About half the time, the site is very speedy and loads quickly... the other half, I get this error message. Definitely willing to be patient, as I know that launching a new version of the site takes a lot of hard work in a short period of time. Just trying to be helpful by spotting and reporting potential issues!

EDIT: It took me three tries to post this response; kept getting that mySQL database query error. I'm on Opera, if that helps... no idea if the issue is with the site, the server, or my browser.

I'm not sure what you mean, but if you mean just delete them then I can't. CAG requires you to keep your birth date and month (but not your birth year). If you mean something else, then could you please explains?

Lol.

Click on your screen name above your avatar.

Click on the black rectangle on the right side of your screen to edit.

You'll see 'entering your birthday is optional'.

Debating on using my real age(a young 100+), but you can set yours to unknown by clicking on month, date, and year.

Edit: Whoa, this shit is pulling from my Wordpress account? And warning points? Is this 2005?
Okay, apparently you can opt out of gravatar. Excellent. Opting back in since it's either default avatar or personal one. :X

Also just noticed we have Likes now. Did this community really need another circlejerk option?

You're not alone lol. IDK, all I do is go to my settings and it says birthdate is optional and mine is blank. Maybe you're screwed since you already entered it, but since I never did it's left blank. Don't worry though, I'm sure 4.0 will fix everything. :lol:

Response time to cheapassgamer.com is soooo slow. Im sure it will improve.

Also got this:

An error occured with the SQL server:

mySQL query error: SELECT * FROM topic_ratings WHERE rating_tid=309612 and rating_member_id=32886

This is not a problem with the IPS Community Suite but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.
Everything I do gives me an SQL error, cannot change settings or anything I could barely log in.

All the feedback and subscriptions (the important thing parts of the site in my opinion) are gone / missing

Yet the Facebook / Twitter integration appears to be up and running (I dislike both services)

So, far the site is a downgrade based on layout alone.

Until all the feature are transferred / upgraded a final opinion on the site cannot be given.

I'm trying not to be negative, since I know there's a lot to be migrated, and I'm patient. Plus, I gave you guys a lot of (good natured) shit when CAG 2.0 debuted. ("BOXES! Both green AND grey! Around EVERYTHING!"  :) )

Like others have said, I liked the old front page. I actually had to double-check the URL because I thought I had mis-typed it and ended up on some parked landing page. I can wait for the dark color scheme: CAG had a great look to it; it didn't look like someone's Wordpress blog.

Minor detail: What happened to the info under a user's avatar in a post (XBL/PSN GT, join date, etc.)? Is that coming back? I always thought that was a nice touch; I didn't have to go to a user's profile to get an idea about how familar they are with CAG. Also, bragging rights.

I'm going to check the mobile version of the site, shortly. That is one thing that CAG 2.0 kinda suffered with.

EDIT: Awww...I was hoping that second sentence would get a Shaq-Fu! Please tell me that filter is coming back, at least!

I'm not liking the new site, can we please have the option to revert to the old one?
This. I think they might have finally found a way to drive me off of this site, for good.
You haven't even seen the new site yet!
Exactly so can we all just save our bitching for the end product?! They've got enough on their plate without us breathing down their necks about every little thing.

Okay, apparently you can opt out of gravatar. Excellent. Opting back in since it's either default avatar or personal one. :X

Also just noticed we have Likes now. Did this community really need another circlejerk option?
Lol I just clicked 'like' for this post to see what it did. Apparently it does nothing and adds an unlike button. Did you at least get circlejerk points?

Is the twitter feed on the front page gone? Also the best of the weekly ad's being right there as soon as you long on was good to.It feels more like an 90's style message board than a website site that had more news & info before.

I cannot edit my post but subscriptions are under the name , content I follow.

However it Errors when I use it to go to topics

Something I forgot to ask: is there any sort of 'new post' branding?  It was so easy to see what posts were new under the old format and now I feel like I'm lost whenever I click on threads.

Lol I just clicked 'like' for this post to see what it did. Apparently it does nothing and adds an unlike button. Did you at least get circlejerk points?
Yup.

SCS5Wtq.jpg

(Note that we all start at 10 Likes.)

14-year-old forum-whore Dark_Sage would *love* these new features. Especially how we now have post counts below our names. Now our opinions are only as relevant as how many posts we've made. Go discussion!

Can we get a one-click method of seeing our recent subscribed threads, like before?
Click your name, top right corner.
Nope. That brings up a pop-up menu, where you can then click "My Content" or "Content I Follow" (what exactly is the difference between these?).

That's two clicks. I know it may sound like a minor complaint but in my opinion there's absolutely no reason that an "upgrade" should make a feature like that harder to access than it was before.

When I view a forum threads display ate started , but not the last post which was much more informative than when the thread began.

To answer my own question you do get a notification when someone likes your post. I think that's about the extent of what it does but maybe if you earn enough likes you can trade them in for the old site back. :p

Also, just noticed you get notifications that someone quoted your post when it's embedded in a response to another person. Not sure I like that preference because I can see it as both being useful to some and completely annoying to others (me).

Minor detail: What happened to the info under a user's avatar in a post (XBL/PSN GT, join date, etc.)? Is that coming back? I always thought that was a nice touch; I didn't have to go to a user's profile to get an idea about how familar they are with CAG. Also, bragging rights.
Mouse over the person's user name, and all of that should pop up in a box. I think that's a cool feature.

Hey Cheapy. I tried to use the name change feature and somehow it ended up changing my name to what it already was. Now it says there's a 365 day waiting period. Is there anyway I could get a reset on the waiting period so I could try to change it again? Thanks.

It's going to take a bit of getting used to, just as any upgrade would, but I do think I'll end up liking it more than the previous site, especially once we get the dark theme. As much as I want to, I'm not going to critique or fully judge until the site gets a little more refined than it currently is. Otherwise, great job!

Where is our trade feedback? I can't find it for the life of me.
Also, this post isn't showing up in my content feed at all. I came back to see if there was a reply and had to search 3 pages to make sure I didn't imagine it.
Verify you have the box checked under Notification Settings that says "Auto Follow topics I reply to." I'm assuming that's what you mean by your feed.

It seems when you go to quote someone it takes FOREVER to load into the reply. Also, I really miss the top 15 deals at the right but I'm hoping it will be there with the new homepage.

Miss two things that I could see the moment I logged in:

The top 15 deals on the right.

The news on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back