CAG League Sports: Madden 12 "JV League" - We Finished 3 Seasons! Thanks Everybody!!!

I'm all for the general "Dont be a dick" rule. We dont really have to define it, but we'll all know what it is when (if) we see it.

As a second team, I'll claim the Tennessee Titans.

[quote name='hostyl1']I'm all for the general "Dont be a dick" rule. We dont really have to define it, but we'll all know what it is when (if) we see it.
[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with setting rules before-hand? They ensure the game is played fairly and that people who know the glitches do not exploit them.

[quote name='hostyl1']I'm all for the general "Dont be a dick" rule. We dont really have to define it, but we'll all know what it is when (if) we see it.[/QUOTE]

Basically, yeah. If anything comes up during games, people can report it then. But at the same time, you'd be surprised how many people in the other league didn't know that certain things were dick moves. Actually, as I type this, I remembered another: taking your kick returner and running him into the endzone and then back up, so he'll already be at full speed when he catches the ball.

Some people are willing to do anything to gain an advantage, and somehow can't process why it might not be a fair one. The general line of thinking of "if you don't see it in an NFL game, don't do it" SHOULD cover everything. But people can still surprise you sometimes.

[quote name='seen']What's wrong with setting rules before-hand? They ensure the game is played fairly and that people who know the glitches do not exploit them.[/QUOTE]

It's more just to cover the "I didn't know we couldn't do that" defense. Some things are glaringly obvious that you shouldn't do them. Others are more subtle. And others still are even completely debatable. Even with these rules, it still probably won't cover everything. But at least it defines the big things.

[quote name='Blade3D']Got mine! I have also decided never to go to Walmart for Black Friday again.[/QUOTE]

Catch any good fights?

[quote name='Blade3D']Got mine! I have also decided never to go to Walmart for Black Friday again.[/QUOTE]

Try working there. I've survived for the first three hours. If you guys don't hear from me at all this weekend, assume I died.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']I'm not sure if the Browns being someone's secondary teams means they're not available, but if they're still available I'm interested.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, secondary teams are all available for the taking. I'll put you down as the Browns and TheSportsGamer23 can choose a new secondary team. You're also free to choose a secondary team too if you want. These are basically just "assigned subs" rather than trying to find a sub for each CPU team. You only play as them when they face a human opponent though. CPU vs CPU games will be simmed.

Is there a deadline for the first game? I joined but won't be on tonight probably, so I want to be aware of when I should make myself available.

Well, I'm not even 100% sure if everyone has gotten the game yet. There are still a couple from the "waiting list" that haven't updated us on if they got it yet. As of right now, 9 people have joined the league, so we're still missing a few. We'll take week 1 slow to give everybody time to get set up and get acclimated, but I'd LIKE to have it wrapped up by next Friday (12/2) if possible. Everybody should definitely feel free to contact their opponent and schedule a time to play though.

Having said all that, I cleaned up the OP a bit and hopefully made the members list a little easier to read. There are still 5 secondary teams available for those who haven't chosen one. They are as follows:

Colts, Jaguars, Redskins, Cardinals, Seahawks

Other than that, I think we're good. I figured the holidays would slow us down a bit, but hopefully we can get things moving again this weekend and start seeing some games played! Good luck to everyone! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If there are no objections, I'll take the Bills as my secondary team. I was born near Buffalo and endured the four straight Super Bowls misery of the early 90s. Now I just laugh when they collapse (as they're once again doing this season). Playing with them should be a riot.

Two questions:

1) Do we HAVE to take on a second team?
2) My first opponent is against the Dolphins and they don't have an owner. if they eventually don't get taken as a primary or secondary team, is subbing am option?

[quote name='Superstar']Two questions:

1) Do we HAVE to take on a second team?
2) My first opponent is against the Dolphins and they don't have an owner. if they eventually don't get taken as a primary or secondary team, is subbing am option?[/QUOTE]

1) You don't HAVE to, but it would make it easier on everybody else. If enough people decline to take secondary teams, we'd just have to find subs for that team the regular way.

2) The Dolphins do have an owner (albeit a secondary one). The recently revised member list will hopefully make that easier to spot. Blade3D has them.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']1) You don't HAVE to, but it would make it easier on everybody else. If enough people decline to take secondary teams, we'd just have to find subs for that team the regular way.

2) The Dolphins do have an owner (albeit a secondary one). The recently revised member list will hopefully make that easier to spot. Blade3D has them.[/QUOTE]

Ahh sorry! I looked yesterday and didn't see them on the franchise screen. I blame the lack of sleep :p

[quote name='Superstar']Ahh sorry! I looked yesterday and didn't see them on the franchise screen. I blame the lack of sleep :p[/QUOTE]

Haha, I hear ya! But nah, the format sucked anyway. I realized that when I was trying to figure out which teams were left. Makes more sense listing them by division anyway. :)

I ordered my copy from bestbuy.com on Wednesday, still waiting to get a shipping confirmation. Other items from that order shipped today, so I'm hoping that it ships shortly.

[quote name='Superstar']How do you pick up a 2nd team ? Blade is trying to pick up the Phins so we can play[/QUOTE]

He has to leave the league and then rejoin as the Dolphins. The password is cagls. Pretty much the same as subbing.

[quote name='Docb9110']My first game is the Colts...what should I do? Also how do we play as the secondary team? I'm sorry I'm a little confused.[/QUOTE]

We'll give it a few more days, and if need be, we'll find someone to sub. As for playing with secondary teams, all you have to do is choose to leave the league (as in quitting...don't worry, it's ok). Then, just rejoin as your secondary team by searching for the league "CAGLS JV League" and using the password "cagls". After the game, rejoin as your main team.

Ya we got it going, though we disconnected twice. First game I was making a comeback in the final minute to tie it, second game I was leading by 21, and third game that we finally finished I got my ass kicked by 14 lol.

[quote name='Blade3D']Ya we got it going, though we disconnected twice. First game I was making a comeback in the final minute to tie it, second game I was leading by 21, and third game that we finally finished I got my ass kicked by 14 lol.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that sucks. Everybody should try to make sure their NAT type is set to open. Madden does have connection issues at times though. Losing by 14 isn't that bad...especially for somebody who just got the game. Good job kicking this league off though guys! It's nice to see people eager to get started.

Blade wanted to keep playing last night after his game with Miami so he called and said be would sub for the Colts. I barely beat him with the Texans. When he subbed in he found out that the Colts still had ALL players which I guess we all forgot about because he had Manning, Addai and Wayne.

The score was 21 to 16 and if Blade would have been more familiar with that Teams offense then he probably would have beat me. Just wanted to let everyone know that the Colts might not be a bad pick up.

Is there a way to find out who may be available to play in general. Nobody's picked up the redskins and I'd like to get started on the season. I'd gladly return the favor.

[quote name='Docb9110']Blade wanted to keep playing last night after his game with Miami so he called and said be would sub for the Colts. I barely beat him with the Texans. When he subbed in he found out that the Colts still had ALL players which I guess we all forgot about because he had Manning, Addai and Wayne.

The score was 21 to 16 and if Blade would have been more familiar with that Teams offense then he probably would have beat me. Just wanted to let everyone know that the Colts might not be a bad pick up.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, whoa, whoa. So, he just felt like playing more, so he subbed for the Colts too? We CAN'T do it like that guys. Aside from the fact that I said to give it a few days to give someone time to pick the Colts, NOBODY should be subbing without checking with the league first...ESPECIALLY to play someone who I know is a friend his. Do you not see at all how that could be misconstrued?

Since this is a first game, I'll let it slide, but in the future, subbing needs to be requested in the thread. Just because you can jump around from team to team very easily doesn't mean you should. This makes me believe more than ever that we need to get these last 5 teams distributed so this type of thing doesn't come up again.

[quote name='silversnake5']Is there a way to find out who may be available to play in general. Nobody's picked up the redskins and I'd like to get started on the season. I'd gladly return the favor.[/QUOTE]

People are welcome to post their general availability (ie. evenings, specific times, etc) and I'll add them to the OP. Aside from that, I'm really going to push to get these last few open teams filled today. You've got till Friday to get the game played. In the meantime, you could scrimmage with other teams (set up a private game), or even play some online ranked if you want to test your skills (and your patience, haha).

My bad fellas. It was just something we thought would speed things up a bit. No harm or cheating intended. He just got the game and was anxious to play was all. As you can tell by the thread I was upfront with everything so I promise no harm intended.

I'll make sure to post in here from now on. Didn't realize it was so strict. Apologies gentlemen!

Also I'll be glad to fill in when I can. Just shoot me a PM

I am going to join the league tomorrow night when I get back from being out of town for the weekend.

Lyric, Let me know when you want to play our first game, Preferably Monday night, I would like to get a few games of practice before I play

My bad, I asked Doc to check the thread about it. But yes, I had been playing Madden almost all day yesterday, and would much rather play games that matter for something. I am very competitive, so try to trust me that I was not slacking off. I am available pretty much any time other then Mon-Wed-Fri 11am-3pm.

[quote name='Blade3D']My bad, I asked Doc to check the thread about it. But yes, I had been playing Madden almost all day yesterday, and would much rather play games that matter for something. I am very competitive, so try to trust me that I was not slacking off. I am available pretty much any time other then Mon-Wed-Fri 11am-3pm.[/QUOTE]

It's ok, and I'm sure you were doing your best. We just want to make sure all things are considered. Like you said, you're competitive...so is everybody else, which is why subbing against a friend could get blown way out of proportion. Just trying to pre-empt any problems that could spring up. At least posting it in the thread first gives people opportunity to object (not that they would). Like I said, first game...not a big deal. But at least now you know.

Just to help with the process, I looked at the schedules for the members who don't have a secondary team, and these are who you could pick.

Ultimate Matt X: none
Yanksfan: none (plays both Colts and Jaguars)
lyric706: Jaguars

So, we've got 3 people to take 1 team. Yanksfan is the only one who really can't/shouldn't pick up a secondary team (although if no one else wants to, I'd probably allow it and just find a sub when he has to play his secondary team). Just remember guys, you won't even be playing every game for these teams. For example, in week one, these are the CPU vs CPU games that will be simmed.

Buffalo vs Kansas City
Tennessee vs Jacksonville
Minnesota vs San Diego
Dallas vs NY Jets

That's 8 people who don't have to worry with their secondary teams this week. Hoping this helps a few people make it easier to select a secondary team. :)

EDIT - All right, Seahawks, Colts, Cardinals, and Redskins taken

I'll take the cardinals as a secondary team. Is it possible to use a different playbook though for my secondary team? since the Raiders are my primary team, I plan on getting used to their playbook and would prefer to be able to use the same playbook for both teams.

[quote name='AJVtony831']I'll take the cardinals as a secondary team. Is it possible to use a different playbook though for my secondary team? since the Raiders are my primary team, I plan on getting used to their playbook and would prefer to be able to use the same playbook for both teams.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's totally fine. You can choose your playbook before each game. If you want to use a different team's playbook, that's completely up to you. It's not like one is really advantageous over the others, so there's no restrictions there.

Sweet! 1 team left. This is what we're down to:

Ultimate Matt X: none
Yanksfan: none (plays both Colts and Jaguars)
lyric706: Jaguars

Just checked my schedule, sorry to whomever took the Colts as their secondary as I already played that first game.

Nate I play the Dolphins week 2 which is Blades secondary. Wanted to give everyone a heads up on that. Also I have the Panthers so whomever plays them week one hit me up.

I have a newborn baby girl at the house so the later the game the better chance I have of talking the wife into letting me slide by playing.

[quote name='Docb9110']Just checked my schedule, sorry to whomever took the Colts as their secondary as I already played that first game.

Nate I play the Dolphins week 2 which is Blades secondary. Wanted to give everyone a heads up on that. Also I have the Panthers so whomever plays them week one hit me up.

I have a newborn baby girl at the house so the later the game the better chance I have of talking the wife into letting me slide by playing.[/QUOTE]

You could direct message the person you play week 1 with the panthers.

Yeah, PM's are a great way to get in touch with people as many people have it set to email them when they get a private message. I always like it when people keep up with the thread too though. Sometimes, I'll even just send the same thing in a PM that I posted in the thread. So at least that way, you've got everything covered.

bread's done
Back