CAGcast #103: Download This!

damn wish i could of made it there today to stab, i mean meet wombat but Im going to the auto show before the giants game

I am not going to "support" anyone here, but I am probably going to get flamed.

I have bought every Nintendo system since NES and have loved each and every one of them, until now. I bought Wii and never finished Zelda: TP, Mario Galaxy, or completed Super Monkey Ball. Something just isn't doing it for me anymore. I realize I should like these games, but when stacked up against other games, I never find myself picking these up and playing them. It makes me sad. Right now my Wii is up on Ebay because I haven't touched it in months. I don't see myself playing it even in the future. SSBB will be fun, but not worth the cost of the system. Mario Kart will have the same crappy "catch up" system where it is easy to stay in last until the final lap, get the best weapons, and pass the driver in 1st right before the finish line. I am getting sick of this casual crap, but I see where Nintendo is making mass money. Video games are a business first, no matter what anyone says. I realize some people will find Wii to be the best system, which is great for them. CheapyD, Wombat, and I don't like Wii as much (or at all) compared to other systems. I hope everyone can realize CheapyD voices his OPINION on the CAGcast. This should be another great year for every system, and hopefully all the PS3, 360, and Wii owners find games that are enjoyable and fun, because that is why we play games in the first place.

I love all you guys who rant like tards. Keep it up.

360 is only the top console in the USA and the system with the best selling games, top rated games, and the most gamers who play them.

Maybe you should give it a go.

Who cares if Cheapy and Wombat love their 360? Shit, wasn't it just a few podcast ago that Cheapy was praising Uncharted on PS3? Don't these guys own all the systems? To me it seems they devote a good amount of time to each system, and they talk about the current games. You're not always going to agree with what they're saying but damn...at the end of the day it's just a podcast.....about video games. You know, the stuff you play for fun.

Anyway, my only beef with the DMC4 thing is this. You do need the install to play the game right? My thinking is what if there are other games down the line that do this, and it takes a toll on your HD? 5 games that take 5 GB eats up a lot if you only have the 40. I would think over time the size of installs would go down though. Personally, I have the 80, so I am not too concerned, but hot damn. If more games do this where it is mandatory to play the game, and it takes up a lot of space on your HD, it could turn into a problem.

I want pics of Wombat and Nintendo reps prying open the icy blue hands of motionless Dorkcicles* to give them their free copies of Advance Wars that they waited overnight for. Hey, free games are worth the suffering! And free Nintendo games are worth dying for!!

*--With icicles hanging from neckbeards and boogercicles dangling from nostrils where applicable, of course.

[quote name='Xiasis']damn wish i could of made it there today to stab, i mean meet wombat but Im going to the auto show before the giants game[/quote]

You mean the Packers game? If you are going to go there to root for the Giants I suggest using that knife on yourself 1st. You will be much happier.

I have to agree with them about the 360. I bought a Wii at launch, and in about March, I bought a 360 because I literally was playing my XBox1 more than my Wii. I play my 360 almost daily, the selection of games is superb. I even got a handful of top of the line Wii games for XMas (MP3, Zack and Wik), and I still barely have played my Wii since then. There's just something about it that doesn't work as well for me.

[quote name='Blackout542']Who cares if Cheapy and Wombat love their 360? Shit, wasn't it just a few podcast ago that Cheapy was praising Uncharted on PS3? Don't these guys own all the systems? To me it seems they devote a good amount of time to each system, and they talk about the current games. You're not always going to agree with what they're saying but damn...at the end of the day it's just a podcast.....about video games. You know, the stuff you play for fun.

Anyway, my only beef with the DMC4 thing is this. You do need the install to play the game right? My thinking is what if there are other games down the line that do this, and it takes a toll on your HD? 5 games that take 5 GB eats up a lot if you only have the 40. I would think over time the size of installs would go down though. Personally, I have the 80, so I am not too concerned, but hot damn. If more games do this where it is mandatory to play the game, and it takes up a lot of space on your HD, it could turn into a problem.[/QUOTE]

Insomniac just in one of their press conferences (see PS3 forums) where they indicated that Resistance 2 wasn't going to require any type of hard drive installs. They stated that once a customer gets the game, they didn't want to keep them waiting for 15-20 minutes just to play the game. Resistance 2 is most likely going to be a much bigger game than DMC 4(ps3) so.. if they can get it right there, then they other companies can follow suit.

I purchased an xbox 360 (although i wanted a Wii but heres my reasoning).. there are plenty of "casual" quick type games on XBLA (infact since we got a 360 I own 12 XBLA games and we just got it this month) I had a hard time getting into Oblvion (its fun.. its just incredibly boring to say the least) Once I figured out how to play Gears of War it is probably my favorite "game" for the 360.. but I keep going back to the games I picked up for 5 to 10 bucks that I have had a lot more fun playing.. Gripshift, TMNT arcade, geomentry wars all get more playing time from me then my "software" for the 360.. I really hope I'm wrong.. i haven't purchased Halo 3 yet.. (i know I'll probably like it) and while I was really excited for Burnout Paradise.. after playing the demo I'm not feeling it as much..

the cagcast is very non console specific but really all the better titles are on the 360.. what out on the PS3 can you talk about every week? and if it does come out on the PS3 it is very likely that it isn't as good of an experience as it is on the 360..

I really hope that there is some way worth it DLC on the Wii in the future.. the VC is really what i am most interested in as a "casual/hardcore" somewhere inbetween.. I want to play some of those cool SNES games that I can't find anymore.. like Earthbound .. but 64 games don't appeal to me..

People say they are disappointed in the DLC but really, I have yet to be disappointed yet.. especially with the XBLA games (although there is realistically only about 3 or 4 more that I "want" ) but I mean it is so much fun to play online on the 360.. and although i'm not the best FPS out there i can hold my own on some of the XBLA games.

[quote name='Bretts31344']I am not going to "support" anyone here, but I am probably going to get flamed.

I have bought every Nintendo system since NES and have loved each and every one of them, until now. I bought Wii and never finished Zelda: TP, Mario Galaxy, or completed Super Monkey Ball. Something just isn't doing it for me anymore. I realize I should like these games, but when stacked up against other games, I never find myself picking these up and playing them. It makes me sad. Right now my Wii is up on Ebay because I haven't touched it in months. I don't see myself playing it even in the future. SSBB will be fun, but not worth the cost of the system. Mario Kart will have the same crappy "catch up" system where it is easy to stay in last until the final lap, get the best weapons, and pass the driver in 1st right before the finish line. I am getting sick of this casual crap, but I see where Nintendo is making mass money. Video games are a business first, no matter what anyone says. I realize some people will find Wii to be the best system, which is great for them. CheapyD, Wombat, and I don't like Wii as much (or at all) compared to other systems. I hope everyone can realize CheapyD voices his OPINION on the CAGcast. This should be another great year for every system, and hopefully all the PS3, 360, and Wii owners find games that are enjoyable and fun, because that is why we play games in the first place.[/QUOTE]

This is the most logical post thus far in this thread.

Brett, you don´t need to feel so. The truth is, Nintendo made a bet when releasing the WII for the family gamer. In that aspect, they are second to none (globally, Nintendo IS winning the console wars). But to keep on the crest of the wave, they have to pour a ton of games that keep up the march. If they only get a sour year, then you will see the results.

Microsoft bet on the "release before ready" camp. They "killed" the old Xbox and now have to live with the Backward compatibility rant (plus the red ring of death). I know they won't say a thing, but I think EVERYONE would like to know the statistics on how many consoles have been reported with the red crisis. Being a latest generation console, and having the biggest library available (plus the XBLA, which I can also support's Cheap's idea as I can't enjoy the full library from where I am), they have the leading edge.

Sony, which has swallowed their arrogance since last May, payed the price with keeping the PS2 still up and running and offering the PS3 as the cheapest Blue-Ray unit (not for a gamer front: that DMC4 news really sucks - I thought latest technology meant not using the hard drive and faster loading time from the game disc). If they still see the PS2 winning the PS3 on consoles and games sold, then that's the real message they should take if they want to succeed.

Tha't's my point of view.

Cheapy, you could always give your old television to your mother-in-law. Then your wife couldn't say no to you getting a new television since you'd be giving something really nice to her mom.

Or you could just kick it over during a earthquake like mentioned.

Just a thought.

[quote name='StinkyCheese']everybody bitching about cheapy this week needs 5 minutes in the corner. that or a CAG villian nominee :D[/quote]

I don't want a CAG villian nominee. I don't want a corporate sponsored show. That's why I listen to this podcast. I've NEVER listened to a major nelson show and I never will. I'd never even heard his voice until he was on CAG. It's just bullshit, that he says shit like "taking someone to court for $2" yeah, 30,000,000 people's $2 and he acts like that doesn't warrant more than a free shit game of Microsoft's choice? What about the people that just paid for one month for that month it was down here? That's what like $8 here? And now they don't have a way to download the 'free' game that Microsoft is offering. It's bullshit and the 360 bias shown on here is bullshit. I know Cheapy said it was just his opinion, but his opinion is very openly biased and it pisses us "non hardcore" gamers off. I've tried to be a good CAG. Used the trade board, use the CAG links to buy shit at amazon no matter what it is, contributed to the CAGbag, but this bias is too much. He's ashamed to have me as a poster. I'm ashamed to have two friends that listen to this show. Hopefully, one of them is as fed up as I am and the other one just found your show on the zune marketplace this week and has already listened to the last three shows. Hopefully, he'll quit listening soon as well.

[quote name='Sideshow'] I know Cheapy said it was just his opinion, but his opinion is very openly biased and it pisses us "non hardcore" gamers off. I've tried to be a good CAG. Used the trade board, use the CAG links to buy shit at amazon no matter what it is, contributed to the CAGbag, but this bias is too much. He's ashamed to have me as a poster. I'm ashamed to have two friends that listen to this show. Hopefully, one of them is as fed up as I am and the other one just found your show on the zune marketplace this week and has already listened to the last three shows. Hopefully, he'll quit listening soon as well.[/quote]

You say I'm biased, I say you are biased.
Door, ass, way out, etc.
Bye.

[quote name='CheapyD']You say I'm biased, I say you are biased.
Door, ass, way out, etc.
Bye.[/QUOTE]
I just watched Wombat's video on UGO, he's getting good at this. Which means he's coming after the top spot. Kidding. It just means that the cagcast will be even better than it already is.

[quote name='aihuman']Did anyone stab wombat with their love knife at the Nintendo World Store?If so, I want to see pictures.[/quote]
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr3F1HZ4R5k[/MEDIA]

hmm, some CAGs need to develop a sense of humor...

anyways, Wombat's video was cool. nicely done.

[quote name='LiK']hmm, some CAGs need to develop a sense of humor...

anyways, Wombat's video was cool. nicely done.[/QUOTE]

I think the sense of humor should be third behind a life, then a girlfriend.

[quote name='Demontooth']I think the sense of humor should be third behind a life, then a girlfriend.[/quote]
altho i'm skeptical a girl would date a guy who has no sense of humor. ;)

We all know wombat did it for the children. All kidding aside, you were pro wombat; you and cheapy definitely need to do a show on video one of these days.

Door, ass, way out, etc.
Bye.[/QUOTE]

I realize that sideshow is being way melodramatic but ...

Is there any criticism you will listen to or do you just want your ass kissed 24/7 (don't worry there is no storage of CAGS applying chapstick as I type).

Door, ass, way out, etc.
Bye.[/quote]

What a master debator you are. You're so used to having your ass kissed you really can't take it when someone calls you on your bullshit. I know you was sort of doing a fly by the moment thing for the show, but after reconsideration do you still consider the Xbox lawsuit bullshit and a waste of time even though it involves millions of dollars?

I'll save my comments for future CAGcasts. I guess you won't be hearing them since you are no longer a listener.

You've written up hate-filled, obscenity laiden posts (on a forum dedicated to my show that you hate) and you expect me to engage in some kind of rational debate with you?
If, as you say, I am so biased, and so full of bullshit, why do you even care what I think? Why are you still posting here?

Major Nelson didn't get enough hate mail this week, why don't you go bother him?

Awww and I was even in NYC at 1pm today...although I was in a cab on my way to JFK at that point to head back here to Cali. Drat! Hope you all had fun!

Nice going Wombat. Not one single person asking "who the hell are you?" in that video. It looked like a good time.

Love the Podcast Cheapy and Wombat, and great job at the Nintendo event Wombat! The UGO video was put together rather nicely.

Honestly I wouldn't even bother giving these negative posters half the attention you do, you'll only make them feel important.

Keep doing what you do. For each one of them there are dozens who will keep listening.

Man, that Pat Goschy video and his claim to the Wii is funny as hell. Nintendo made a game with tilt control around that same time (Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble) but he didn't seem to get angry over that invention or their other tilt game Wario Ware Twisted.

what's up with the fucking haters? Cheapy is doing his best to make his show entertaining and fun for you guys. just because some of you don't like his opinion, you don't need to flame him about it. if you don't like his show or his views, then don't listen and stop commenting in this forum about it.

just because we tell him we enjoy his show, that doesn't mean we're ass-kissing him. we're just giving props to a guy who worked hard to give us something fun to listen to every week. jesus...

Anybody who sits on a forum and wastes their time bashing somebody due to a personal opinion, simply needs to get a life. Is this really a productive way to spend quality time, by bashing someone's gaming preference? Who the hell cares if anybody is pro-360. It's Cheapy's show; if you don't like it then don't listen to it. End of story.

Get a grip, it takes a few minutes, if that, to post some random crap on a forum. How could that have a major effect on the posters life or lack of one?

"Who the hell cares...."

By the looks of it you and quite a few other posters in this thread otherwise why would you waste your "quality time" posting.

[quote name='Demontooth']I think the sense of humor should be third behind a life, then a girlfriend.[/QUOTE]

You'd better get the sense of humor first or you won't keep the girlfriend.

Is Cheapy an expert on Blu-ray and DVD disc technology now?

:lol: I loved hearing Wombat shut up Cheapy's bragging of his great TV with some specs of his own that outclassed Cheapy's TV.

:lol: "I say 'Forza' because it's spelled that way." Another nice line from Wombat.

Good show.

[quote name='Sideshow']What a master debator you are. You're so used to having your ass kissed you really can't take it when someone calls you on your bullshit. I know you was sort of doing a fly by the moment thing for the show, but after reconsideration do you still consider the Xbox lawsuit bullshit and a waste of time even though it involves millions of dollars?[/QUOTE]
Funny, my good chum. You seem to be under the impression that you have been actively debating for your past few posts. Heh heh heh, amigo, if you were in a real debate with a professional, your so-called debating style would have you leaving as confetti. Your style is akin to a coffee maker who fills a tall order by heating water with brown food coloring. The coffee-maker forgets that the true character, substance if you will, of coffee comes not from just the color of the coffee, but from the harmony created from the blackness, the heat, and the pure bitterness of the mixture. It is the bitterness that reveals the fraud. Without the bitterness, the harmony will not exist; the coffee maker just be wasting the time of the customer.
...And that is the power of coffee...
f_-_godot.gif

And substance is what your argument has been lacking, therefore making it a waste of time. In the end you apparently have little more than that unfortunate straw limb to stand on. However, I have a proposal for you amigo, perhaps you can have one more chance to show that this little flame war has not been a waste of everybody's time by adding the substance to your argument:
1. Since this is what you claimed you wanted earlier: How exactly do you plan to have equal representation for all of the currently consoles, while still maintaining the same level of entertainment quality?
-Obviously, the plan must be reasonable, as in well-within the power of Cheapy and Wombat to implement.
-As a result, a good level of detail is required in your description.
-Bonus points if you consider the following factors: "Human psychology" and "all consoles are not created equal."
2. Please elaborate on the logical tree that because Cheapy thinks that the lawsuit is frivolous, he is standing behind Microsoft's decisions that pertain to the outages (or as you put it "Microsoft is still great").
-Preferably no agricultural by-products or false dilemmas this time around.
-Personal note: I would also like to know why you're so sure that the litigators are looking out for the interests of the other people affected by outages. Especially after looking at the results and the winners and losers of other cases involving game companies.
-Hey, blackouts and utility outages might also be worth mentioning. Optional and all that.

The way I see it, this little derailment should end here, therefore, you have two options:
a) Don't answer the problems I presented, but don't make anymore posts in this topic (As any posts along this track that don't add any substance will honestly be a further waste of time), and you can probably go on with the idea that you "won" the argument.
After all, there's clearly nothing wrong with marching into a topic to lob insults towards the hosts with absolutely no personal provocation on their part, and then demand that they enact your vague request into the show. You know, as opposed to being cordial, or at the very least non-combative. They'd never listen to someone like that.
b) Answer the problems I presented or find some other way to add substance to any points you presented, and maybe we can salvage something out of this mess that will be useful enough to not have made it a big waste of time.

Otherwise, this whole track of conversation has gotten boring. Now onto something more entertaining!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zUkK14bHDk[/media]

A couple of corrections to make. First, yes the Blu-ray drive in the PS3 reads a bit slower on average than the 360 DVD drive, but only for relatively small games (less than 4GB). Most 360 games require a dual-layer DVD (DVD9), and the read speed for these disks is actually slower than for a Blu-ray.

Second, installing to the hard drive is always preferable to running off the disk. The only reason that 360 games don't do this is that MS won't allow it due to the Core sku not having a hard drive. (Although they have made exceptions for a few games). Ever experienced a dirty disk error with a mint condition disk; first the sound drops out, then the game freezes and you get the error? You just experienced the disk drive not being able to keep up with the game.

Finally, repeating game files in multiple places on the disk is not something new to the PS3. This has been done for all console systems (including 360) since the PS1. The difference is that Blu-ray disks have more space to repeat files; comparing Oblivion you would see that the loads are considerably faster on PS3 vs. 360.

Regardless of other mistakes Sony has made with the PS3, the Blu-ray drive is not one of them.

I'm certainly not angry at Cheapy for the way he feels, he has the right to enjoy and play what he wants. I usually get disappointed when he talks about his lack of Wii play, just because I love SMG and I just want him to like it as much as I do. We all know he likes 360 a lot, he has said in previous podcasts his reasons for that. The only times I get frustrated listening to the podcast is when he talks about playing games on 360 that are either terrible or just bad. Kane and Lynch is a good example this week. But if you enjoy it then keep playing it, don't force yourself to play games that you don't have fun playing. If you somehow have more fun playing K&L than you do SMG then keep playing it.

When I listen to the cagcast I find myself disagreeing with some of you guys' viewpoints on things, but I don't hate you for it.

I also just want to throw in my two cents about the consoles in 2008. I see 2008 as being a huge year for the Wii and PS3. I see this as the year the PS3 consistently outsells the 360, the line-up of PS3 games in 2008 is insane. Once I get some more money saved up I will definitely be buying a PS3 this year. LBP looks awesome, and I am one person who is interested in Home too. And not having to pay for an online service will be nice for a change as well. It's going to be another good year for gamers, especially the non-fanboy ones who play everything (even high-end PC games) like me.

[quote name='CheapyD']I'll save my comments for future CAGcasts. I guess you won't be hearing them since you are no longer a listener.

You've written up hate-filled, obscenity laiden posts (on a forum dedicated to my show that you hate) and you expect me to engage in some kind of rational debate with you?
If, as you say, I am so biased, and so full of bullshit, why do you even care what I think? Why are you still posting here?

Major Nelson didn't get enough hate mail this week, why don't you go bother him?[/quote]

I don't want this to be taken to the next cagcast. This is my opinion for YOU. I don't want 10,000 +/- listeners in on something that was meant for you. I was just letting you know that while it is your opinion. You're full of shit. We have lawsuits in court about fuckers that burn themselves with coffee then say they didn't know it was hot. If they can get a day in court, so should the Texas guys. Xbox was down for about a month here. That's a LOT of money involved. If I could ge the money Microsoft made in that month from the XBL that no one got to use I could retire on my own private island.

As for the other things you said. I don't listen to Major Nelson. Never have. Never will. And you obviously still don't seem to get it. I don't want to hate the show. This has been a slow moving process towards hating the show, though. I've listened to all 103 episodes. I didn't start listening until around 80 though and took about two weeks at work to listen to the backlog of them. I want to like the show, but now you're being petty and making sure you don't actually have to defend your position on why you don't think Microsoft should be in court over pocketing millions of dollars and then handing out some game of their choice. Not to mention, even though alot of people that got fucked by this has just said "fuck it." and hasn't even been back on the XBL arcade, then what if they miss the very generous four day window that Microsoft is going to make the game free? And also, what about all the people that are still in the process of getting fucked by Microsoft and are having their 360 repaired. They miss out all together, but this doesn't deserved to be in courts.

Thank you sideshow for opening everybody's eyes and dispelling the myths that cheapyD continues to perpetuate.
How dare the cag cast keep us in ignorance for another second. How dare he take aim at these heroic victims who
have the courage to stand up for what is right and sue microsoft. How dare he smear the good name of Blu Ray.
Truly evil triumphs when good men do nothing! Surely if Cheapy is allowed to continue it will be the end of free speech.
I cannot support either the cag cast or the 360 knowing the atrocities they have committed. My indignation knows no bounds!

Also wombat is a talented emcee, very professional and affable.

Wow you are good at creating a Sideshow albeit an angry bitter one.

Not sure who was scarier in the video - Wombat or the Nintendo fans? ;)

Much better production on the video clip than I thought it was going to be.

Ok actually Wombat looks good against a backdrop of Nintendo fans who wait 8 hours to get a $30 game for free.

Sideshow, I have no problem with the live outage because I don't even like playing online anymore. That's why I have a silver account. To quote Gabe from Penny Arcade, "The worst part of multiplayer games is that you have to play them with other people." I spent most of my time playing halo 3 muting opponents instead of shooting them. I think that they should have a separate online service just for adults that are mature and don't treat the other people like shit. If Xbox Live went down permanently, I wouldn't miss it.

bread's done
Back