CAGcast #103: Download This!

[quote name='Sideshow']I don't want this to be taken to the next cagcast. This is my opinion for YOU. I don't want 10,000 +/- listeners in on something that was meant for you. I was just letting you know that while it is your opinion. You're full of shit. We have lawsuits in court about fuckers that burn themselves with coffee then say they didn't know it was hot. If they can get a day in court, so should the Texas guys. Xbox was down for about a month here. That's a LOT of money involved. If I could ge the money Microsoft made in that month from the XBL that no one got to use I could retire on my own private island.

As for the other things you said. I don't listen to Major Nelson. Never have. Never will. And you obviously still don't seem to get it. I don't want to hate the show. This has been a slow moving process towards hating the show, though. I've listened to all 103 episodes. I didn't start listening until around 80 though and took about two weeks at work to listen to the backlog of them. I want to like the show, but now you're being petty and making sure you don't actually have to defend your position on why you don't think Microsoft should be in court over pocketing millions of dollars and then handing out some game of their choice. Not to mention, even though alot of people that got fucked by this has just said "fuck it." and hasn't even been back on the XBL arcade, then what if they miss the very generous four day window that Microsoft is going to make the game free? And also, what about all the people that are still in the process of getting fucked by Microsoft and are having their 360 repaired. They miss out all together, but this doesn't deserved to be in courts.[/quote]

fanboy, much?

This thread is so chalk full of fanboyery, it makes me almost want to start a "intelligent discussion" thread, just for people who can talk about issues with out going into fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck rants.

I kind of agree with Sideshow on one thing - 1. Cheapy and Wombat don't take criticism very well at all (everything else Sideshow is ranting about is BS though). 2. It isn't really right for you to take that criticism and use it on the air. I think you would probably get a lot more negative reviews and comments than you do but people simply don't write them because they don't want to be publicly bitched at on-air. And don't say you don't do this, because you absolutely do.

Anyway, on another note. About the Devil May Cry 4 5GB install. I would have to say that the PS3 has the worst initial user experience out of any game system I have ever owned. When you first take it out of the box you have to spend a good hour waiting for it to set up and install and update crap, and then to take another 20 minutes to install a game before you can even play it is pretty ridiculous. Sure, that initial long install is only the first time you use the system or the first time you play a game, but it is still time that could be spent playing.

I'm glad Cheapy and Wombat discussed the insanity that is the xbox live lawsuit. Xbox live is a service that doesn't have guaranteed uptime. So as someone who paid MS you can be disgruntled, but you can't really sue. A free undertow is better then no free undertow I guess.

Sideshow your a whole other animal. You can say Cheapy and Wombat are MS-fan boys but apparently the gaming world is too. I gave Sony a year to give me a few reasons to purchase their console, and after Lair and Heavenly Sword got mediocre rent me reviews I gave up. As someone who had a Wii since launch I support the idea that is a casual gamer console. I played Zelda, Metroid Prime, and some SMG...but that was it as far as non-casual games. When I bought my Xbox 360 in november I feel like I have at least 5 games to play at all times, and most of those are not available on the PS3 (bioshock, mass effect, gears of war, blue dragon, dead rising etc.).

RROD wouldn't be such a big story if it was happening on peoples Wii's. I could live without Wii Play for 3 weeks, but no COD4? Ouch.

[quote name='tandle']I'm glad Cheapy and Wombat discussed the insanity that is the xbox live lawsuit. Xbox live is a service that doesn't have guaranteed uptime. So as someone who paid MS you can be disgruntled, but you can't really sue. A free undertow is better then no free undertow I guess.

.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Major but I think Cheapy is okay with you using your more well known name.

[quote name='JadedJedi']Sideshow, I have no problem with the live outage because I don't even like playing online anymore. That's why I have a silver account. To quote Gabe from Penny Arcade, "The worst part of multiplayer games is that you have to play them with other people." I spent most of my time playing halo 3 muting opponents instead of shooting them. I think that they should have a separate online service just for adults that are mature and don't treat the other people like shit. If Xbox Live went down permanently, I wouldn't miss it.[/quote]

I understand your position. If I didn't enjoy something I wouldnt mind what happened to it one way or the other, but when MS pockets millions upon millions for a service it didn't provide, then it should be handled in court. It shouldn't be allowed to be settled with a free game not of your choice.

[quote name='StinkyCheese']fanboy, much?[/quote]

Not sure. I come out against MS bullshit and I'm a fanboy? So, pro-MS guys are fanboys and anti-MS guys are fanboys? I assumed you had to be FOR a system to be a fanboy of it. Where's the middle ground?

[quote name='Sideshow']Not sure. I come out against MS bullshit and I'm a fanboy? So, pro-MS guys are fanboys and anti-MS guys are fanboys? I assumed you had to be FOR a system to be a fanboy of it. Where's the middle ground?[/quote]

your bashing a console maker for dumb, insignificant reasons. normal people don't usually do this so people assume you own a PS3 and have an interest in the failure of XBOX 360. not only are you coming out against microsoft, you are bashing cheapy and wombat for giving their views on an issue. This kind of intolerance is typical of fanboys. I think you need to step back and take a look at what you are doing. Is this helping microsoft provide a better service? Is this improving the cagcast? If anything you are dragging the cag cast to a lower level, either by making it focus on petty fanboy squabbles or by forcing someone to alter the content of their internet show to appease a minority of vocal listeners.

[quote name='Sideshow']I don't want this to be taken to the next cagcast. This is my opinion for YOU. I don't want 10,000 +/- listeners in on something that was meant for you. I was just letting you know that while it is your opinion. You're full of shit. We have lawsuits in court about fuckers that burn themselves with coffee then say they didn't know it was hot. If they can get a day in court, so should the Texas guys. Xbox was down for about a month here. That's a LOT of money involved. If I could ge the money Microsoft made in that month from the XBL that no one got to use I could retire on my own private island.

As for the other things you said. I don't listen to Major Nelson. Never have. Never will. And you obviously still don't seem to get it. I don't want to hate the show. This has been a slow moving process towards hating the show, though. I've listened to all 103 episodes. I didn't start listening until around 80 though and took about two weeks at work to listen to the backlog of them. I want to like the show, but now you're being petty and making sure you don't actually have to defend your position on why you don't think Microsoft should be in court over pocketing millions of dollars and then handing out some game of their choice. Not to mention, even though alot of people that got fucked by this has just said "fuck it." and hasn't even been back on the XBL arcade, then what if they miss the very generous four day window that Microsoft is going to make the game free? And also, what about all the people that are still in the process of getting fucked by Microsoft and are having their 360 repaired. They miss out all together, but this doesn't deserved to be in courts.[/QUOTE]
Oh dearie dearie dearie, I honestly didn't want to post the following. I actually did post it, but then I had a change of heart and deleted the message. I thought "Cao Cao, what if this guy was actually set on leaving the topic soon enough? Wouldn't you just be fanning the flames with this post? Of course that is just a possibility, but in the event that this possibility turns out the be true, wouldn't that be counterintuitive to your objective for this post, ending this pointless waste of time?"

I changed it some to make use of some of your new material:
[quote name='Sideshow']What a master debator you are. You're so used to having your ass kissed you really can't take it when someone calls you on your bullshit. I know you was sort of doing a fly by the moment thing for the show, but after reconsideration do you still consider the Xbox lawsuit bullshit and a waste of time even though it involves millions of dollars?[/QUOTE]
Funny, my good chum. You seem to be under the impression that you have been actively debating for your past few posts. Heh heh heh, amigo, if you were in a real debate with a professional, your so-called debating style would have you leaving as confetti. Your style is akin to a coffee maker who fills a tall order by heating water with brown food coloring. The coffee-maker forgets that the true character, substance if you will, of coffee comes not from just the color of the coffee, but from the harmony created from the blackness, the heat, and the pure bitterness of the mixture. It is the bitterness that reveals the fraud. Without the bitterness, the harmony will not exist; the coffee maker just be wasting the time of the customer.
...And that is the power of coffee...
f_-_godot.gif

And substance is what your argument has been lacking, therefore making it a waste of time. In the end you apparently have little more than that unfortunate straw limb to stand on. However, I have a proposal for you amigo, perhaps you can have one more chance to show that this little flame war has not been a waste of everybody's time by adding the substance to your argument:
1. Since this is what you claimed you wanted earlier: How exactly do you plan to have equal representation for all of the currently consoles, while still maintaining the same level of entertainment quality?
-Obviously, the plan must be reasonable, as in well-within the power of Cheapy and Wombat to implement.
-As a result, a good level of detail is required in your description.
-Bonus points if you consider the following factors: "Human psychology" and "all consoles are not created equal."
2. Please elaborate on the logical tree that because Cheapy thinks that the lawsuit is frivolous, he is standing behind Microsoft's decisions that pertain to the outages (or as you put it originally "Microsoft is still great").
-Preferably no agricultural by-products or false dilemmas this time around.
-Personal note: I would also like to know why you're so sure that the litigators are looking out for the interests of the other people affected by outages. Especially after looking at the results and the overall winners and losers of other cases involving game companies.
-I'm also trying to figure out how MS benefits from all of this. I mean with the bad PR, lost subscriber opportunities, and lost profits from a free Undertow wouldn't they negate any savings that would be incurred by purposefully underpowering the servers?
-Hey, blackouts and utility outages might also be worth mentioning. Optional and all that.

The way I see it, this little derailment should end here, therefore, you have three options:
a) Don't answer the problems I presented, but don't make anymore posts in this topic (As any posts along this track that don't add any substance will honestly be a further waste of time), and you can probably go on with the idea that you "won" the argument.
b) Answer the problems I presented or find some other way to add substance to any points you presented, and maybe we can salvage something out of this mess that will be useful enough to not have made it a big waste of time.
c) Continue to "argue" your points via straw men, false dilemmas, and irrelevant emotional appeals.

Really, it's your choice, I honestly don't care either way, though I would be disappointed if you chose option c without learning the obvious lessons that have been displayed during these past few days, as this little track of conversation has already gotten boring and pointless enough. Now onto things that are more entertaining!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zUkK14bHDk[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87NHueHBHwY[/media]

Good job on UGO recording and editing the Advance Wars: Days of Ruins launch party. If Wombat was doing recording, it will probably look like Blair Witch project with it's shaky camera movement and sounds of Wombat eating Oreos. It's not as glamorous as it appear. I should know I was there. That's video highlighted all the good parts which isn't much besides the free shirt and hat. The real story of that event wasn't the Advance Wars party, but it was the Wii.

When I arrive Nintendo World Store early in the mourning I saw this huge line with over 200 people. I was like "Wow, I can't believe there are so many Advance Wars fan". Surely enough, I was dead wrong. The people there wasn't waiting for Advance Wars, they were waiting for Wii. A few minutes later a Nintendo staff person came out and said "Who here is waiting for Wii and who here is waiting is waiting for Advance Wars event? Ok. People waiting for a Wii line up to left and people who want advance wars line up to right." Only 30-40 people went to right side of line. That's a huge kick in nuts for Advance Wars fan. I overheard, that some people waited as early as 12 at night in subzero temperature to get a Wii. That's crazy for a system with mediocre 3rd party games. You can only purchase a Wii with credit card to prevent scalpers. Purchasing with a credit card it leaves a paper trail which makes it easier to trace the buyer

Another reason about why it's so difficult to keep everyone pleased and happy...

And next time the whole internet goes down due to a worm, who're you going to blame?

Your local ISP?
The OS developer?
The browser developer?
The computer developer?
The Internet Task Force for not doing their job?
Symantec/Mc Afee/Avast/Zone Alarm/etc. for not covering our asses?
The underdeveloped countries for not having a secure IT infraestructure?
The russians/chinese for not having a strong law against hackers?

Woa, that's a lot of people for filling out a lawsuit. That will give you at least enough to buy the whole freaking planet earth islands in Arabia!

Grow up, would ya?!?

It makes me sad that some people just couldn't come and stab Wombat, it was the highlight of my day and this was before I saw Chevy Chase perform at the UCB Theater.

2209743790_65f12db3a1.jpg

[quote name='Del Far']It makes me sad that some people just couldn't come and stab Wombat, it was the highlight of my day and this was before I saw Chevy Chase perform at the UCB Theater.

[/quote]

OMFG I ALMOST CRAPPED MYSELF!:applause:

[quote name='Del Far']It makes me sad that some people just couldn't come and stab Wombat, it was the highlight of my day and this was before I saw Chevy Chase perform at the UCB Theater.

[/quote]

OMG, POST of THE YEAR!

That is great!

[quote name='Trenchalicious']Fanboys are funny.

CheapyD isn't a fan boy of anything but himself. Get it straight.[/quote]

:applause:

Great job at the event Wombat...witty as usual.

I would have gone to the event but I wasn't standing outside or let alone getting out of my apartment on a NFL Championship Sunday.

Was there a big cag presence?

[quote name='Cao Cao']Oh dearie dearie dearie, I honestly didn't want to post the following. I actually did post it, but then I had a change of heart and deleted the message. I thought "Cao Cao, what if this guy was actually set on leaving the topic soon enough?[/quote]

First thing. When you're thinking to yourself you call yourself by your fake internet name? That's f*cked up.

[quote name='Cao Cao']1. Since this is what you claimed you wanted earlier: How exactly do you plan to have equal representation for all of the currently consoles, while still maintaining the same level of entertainment quality?
-Obviously, the plan must be reasonable, as in well-within the power of Cheapy and Wombat to implement.
-As a result, a good level of detail is required in your description.
-Bonus points if you consider the following factors: "Human psychology" and "all consoles are not created equal."[/quote]

All right. This coming Tuesday. The only 360 game coming out is Burnout Paradise. The Wii has Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, No More Heroes and One Piece: Unlimited Adventures. The DS Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin and Mega Brain Boost. How can you not have equal representation for the consoles, when there are 5 Nintendo games to the 360s one game. It's not as if there's not any new releases to talk about.

[quote name='Cao Cao']2. Please elaborate on the logical tree that because Cheapy thinks that the lawsuit is frivolous, he is standing behind Microsoft's decisions that pertain to the outages (or as you put it originally "Microsoft is still great").
-Preferably no agricultural by-products or false dilemmas this time around.
-Personal note: I would also like to know why you're so sure that the litigators are looking out for the interests of the other people affected by outages. Especially after looking at the results and the overall winners and losers of other cases involving game companies.
-I'm also trying to figure out how MS benefits from all of this. I mean with the bad PR, lost subscriber opportunities, and lost profits from a free Undertow wouldn't they negate any savings that would be incurred by purposefully underpowering the servers?
-Hey, blackouts and utility outages might also be worth mentioning. Optional and all that.[/quote]

How Microsoft benefited from this? You know they still got paid, right? You don't really think that they would've made more from a free XBL game then the 10,000,000 users they currently have with an XBL subscription. Of the 10,000,000 about 4,000,000 are gold members paying for an XBL subscription. (source http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/01/07/xbox-live-balloons-to-10-million-subscribers/ gotta love these fanboy sites) Let's do the math. Even assuming that all the people were on the yearly plan which would put them at a little over four dollars a month (which some pay monthly or every three months) but even using the LEAST amount they could've paid for the service that wasn't provided that'd put Microsoft making $16,000,000 off XBL subscriptions in that month alone. The undertow game costs 800 points or $10 a pop. So, let's assume that they kept all the money from that and didn't have to pay the publishers. To make the money they gained from XBL subscriptions by selling Undertow (again without counting any money paid out) they'd have to sell 1.6 MILLION copies of the game. Even giving this game away for free they probably won't even hit their 1.6 million mark. So, don't act as if MS is taking a loss by giving this game away. I'd imagine they wrote about a million dollar check to Chair Entertainment, the company that made Undertow, for the rights to give it away for free for four days. 16 million - 1 million = 15 million profit. Do some math before you argue MS is losing money on this. Keep in mind this is with me rounding numbers in favor of Microsoft, so this is not an unfair or unreasonable number.

[quote name='Cao Cao']The way I see it, this little derailment should end here, therefore, you have three options:
a) Don't answer the problems I presented, but don't make anymore posts in this topic (As any posts along this track that don't add any substance will honestly be a further waste of time), and you can probably go on with the idea that you "won" the argument.
b) Answer the problems I presented or find some other way to add substance to any points you presented, and maybe we can salvage something out of this mess that will be useful enough to not have made it a big waste of time.
[/quote]

I chose option B. Don't come into a thread planning a big "derailment" with someone who plans on backing up what they say with facts. But if you want to respond, please use facts and another analogy. That coffee thing was just golden. Made me think that you'd be relevant.

[quote name='tyrone hawk']Another reason about why it's so difficult to keep everyone pleased and happy...

And next time the whole internet goes down due to a worm, who're you going to blame?

Your local ISP?
The OS developer?
The browser developer?
The computer developer?
The Internet Task Force for not doing their job?
Symantec/Mc Afee/Avast/Zone Alarm/etc. for not covering our asses?
The underdeveloped countries for not having a secure IT infraestructure?
The russians/chinese for not having a strong law against hackers?

Woa, that's a lot of people for filling out a lawsuit. That will give you at least enough to buy the whole freaking planet earth islands in Arabia!

Grow up, would ya?!?[/quote]

A worm would be a hacker's fault. The only person that would be responsible is the hacker, but if he's good enough to bring the internet down, he probably wouldn't be caught, so nothing could be done. Xbox live crashing would be Microsoft's fault They refused to spend some of the companies billions of dollars on a server that could support the demand for their paying customers. I like the effort to compare the two, but it was kind of a weak comparison to try to make.

To break it down for everyone, since you obviously don't realize that you don't become the biggest corporation in the world by treating people fair, then let's recap some of Microsoft's Xbox360 finest moments to see what kind of a place that some of you have chose to defend.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/02/microsoft-says-xbox-abuse-caused-baby-killing-fire/

A fire killed this guy's child. The fire was caused by faulty 360 equipment. Microsoft asked that the case be dismissed and that the victims pay the Microsoft's legal fees. So, they cause a fire, kill a kid, then instead of settle since the guy was asking for more than $50,000, but obviously not looking to get rich, just to get his stuff back (minus his child that he'll never get back) and Microsoft wouldn't even do that much.

The red ring of death fucked up everyone's XBLA experience. Before you could play your XBLA games offline, but since you now have someone else's system with your hard drive, then you have to be logged into XBL to play your arcade games. When the 360s first came out, if you slightly tilted the console it would scratch the game and ruin it. Microsoft offered to repair all games ruined this way for only $20. What a bang up job they're doing in customer service.

I for one can say I'm SICK of the sub par service provided by Microsoft and to be honest I'm surprised more CAGs aren't pissed off by XBL being down for a month. I call myself a cheap ass gamer, because it's true. And I'm so cheap that I refuse to pay for a month of service without getting what I paid for. I am what a cheap ass gamer is supposed to stand for. If you can pay out your money and not get every penny's worth of what you paid for and not be pissed when you don't, then you can't call yourself a cheap ass gamer. I came here, because the site name was perfect for me. That's why I don't post on any other forums. I'm a cheap ass gamer and I wanted to be surrounded by people with my cheap ass gaming point of view, but apparently a lot of people on board have forgotten what it means to be a true cheap ass.

[quote name='Sideshow'] I came here, because the site name was perfect for me. That's why I don't post on any other forums. I'm a cheap ass gamer and I wanted to be surrounded by people with my cheap ass gaming point of view, but apparently a lot of people on board have forgotten what it means to be a true cheap ass.[/quote]

I'm sorry not everyone on this board thinks exactly like you do. We will try to hold off on forming our own thoughts and opinions.

[quote name='Sideshow']First thing. When you're thinking to yourself you call yourself by your fake internet name? That's f*cked up.

All right. This coming Tuesday. The only 360 game coming out is Burnout Paradise. The Wii has Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, No More Heroes and One Piece: Unlimited Adventures. The DS Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin and Mega Brain Boost. How can you not have equal representation for the consoles, when there are 5 Nintendo games to the 360s one game. It's not as if there's not any new releases to talk about.

How Microsoft benefited from this? You know they still got paid, right? You don't really think that they would've made more from a free XBL game then the 10,000,000 users they currently have with an XBL subscription. Of the 10,000,000 about 4,000,000 are gold members paying for an XBL subscription. (source http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/01/07/xbox-live-balloons-to-10-million-subscribers/ gotta love these fanboy sites) Let's do the math. Even assuming that all the people were on the yearly plan which would put them at a little over four dollars a month (which some pay monthly or every three months) but even using the LEAST amount they could've paid for the service that wasn't provided that'd put Microsoft making $16,000,000 off XBL subscriptions in that month alone. The undertow game costs 800 points or $10 a pop. So, let's assume that they kept all the money from that and didn't have to pay the publishers. To make the money they gained from XBL subscriptions by selling Undertow (again without counting any money paid out) they'd have to sell 1.6 MILLION copies of the game. Even giving this game away for free they probably won't even hit their 1.6 million mark. So, don't act as if MS is taking a loss by giving this game away. I'd imagine they wrote about a million dollar check to Chair Entertainment, the company that made Undertow, for the rights to give it away for free for four days. 16 million - 1 million = 15 million profit. Do some math before you argue MS is losing money on this. Keep in mind this is with me rounding numbers in favor of Microsoft, so this is not an unfair or unreasonable number.

I chose option B. Don't come into a thread planning a big "derailment" with someone who plans on backing up what they say with facts. But if you want to respond, please use facts and another analogy. That coffee thing was just golden. Made me think that you'd be relevant.

A worm would be a hacker's fault. The only person that would be responsible is the hacker, but if he's good enough to bring the internet down, he probably wouldn't be caught, so nothing could be done. Xbox live crashing would be Microsoft's fault They refused to spend some of the companies billions of dollars on a server that could support the demand for their paying customers. I like the effort to compare the two, but it was kind of a weak comparison to try to make.

To break it down for everyone, since you obviously don't realize that you don't become the biggest corporation in the world by treating people fair, then let's recap some of Microsoft's Xbox360 finest moments to see what kind of a place that some of you have chose to defend.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/02/microsoft-says-xbox-abuse-caused-baby-killing-fire/

A fire killed this guy's child. The fire was caused by faulty 360 equipment. Microsoft asked that the case be dismissed and that the victims pay the Microsoft's legal fees. So, they cause a fire, kill a kid, then instead of settle since the guy was asking for more than $50,000, but obviously not looking to get rich, just to get his stuff back (minus his child that he'll never get back) and Microsoft wouldn't even do that much.

The red ring of death fucked up everyone's XBLA experience. Before you could play your XBLA games offline, but since you now have someone else's system with your hard drive, then you have to be logged into XBL to play your arcade games. When the 360s first came out, if you slightly tilted the console it would scratch the game and ruin it. Microsoft offered to repair all games ruined this way for only $20. What a bang up job they're doing in customer service.

I for one can say I'm SICK of the sub par service provided by Microsoft and to be honest I'm surprised more CAGs aren't pissed off by XBL being down for a month. I call myself a cheap ass gamer, because it's true. And I'm so cheap that I refuse to pay for a month of service without getting what I paid for. I am what a cheap ass gamer is supposed to stand for. If you can pay out your money and not get every penny's worth of what you paid for and not be pissed when you don't, then you can't call yourself a cheap ass gamer. I came here, because the site name was perfect for me. That's why I don't post on any other forums. I'm a cheap ass gamer and I wanted to be surrounded by people with my cheap ass gaming point of view, but apparently a lot of people on board have forgotten what it means to be a true cheap ass.[/QUOTE]
:applause:

[quote name='Sideshow']First thing. When you're thinking to yourself you call yourself by your fake internet name? That's f*cked up.

I for one can say I'm SICK of the sub par service provided by Microsoft and to be honest I'm surprised more CAGs aren't pissed off by XBL being down for a month. I call myself a cheap ass gamer, because it's true. And I'm so cheap that I refuse to pay for a month of service without getting what I paid for. I am what a cheap ass gamer is supposed to stand for. If you can pay out your money and not get every penny's worth of what you paid for and not be pissed when you don't, then you can't call yourself a cheap ass gamer. I came here, because the site name was perfect for me. That's why I don't post on any other forums. I'm a cheap ass gamer and I wanted to be surrounded by people with my cheap ass gaming point of view, but apparently a lot of people on board have forgotten what it means to be a true cheap ass.[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight, MS servers go down, and their way to compensate gamers was to offer a XBL game free for 4 days. Plus most likely they paid the publishers at least 1 million from their XBL earnings to compensate having the game free for 4 days. So in turn its like they probably didn't even get the free game to all the persons who were effected by the XBL outtage(s), and MS gets 1 mllion dollars worth of good PR.

Sideshow, please keep in mind that most of the CAG community is pro 360. So of course the CAG 360 community doesn't want to hear about RROD, poor business dealings, etc.
Cheapy is definitely pro 360 [which wouldn't be so much of a problem if it didn' effect his opinions on the show so blatantly] and I realized that when in one episode he bought Darkness for his "Broken" 360 which he had to towel trick repeatedly , instead of buying the game on his PS3 where he could have played the game without any problems.

so, just keep that in mind.

sideshow when you talk about holding business accountable for bad dealings, that makes you more of a "consumerist" than a CAG.

I think I've figured out why so many people think that Cheapy has much bias. Look at the games that the 360 has had come out in recent memory compared to the Wii and PS3. It's a simple matter of Microsoft having more titles worth playing and that are really good than both of these other systems.

The fact of the matter is that I paid full price for more games in the last 2 months than I did the full year before that simply due to games like Mass Effect, Orange Box, Assassins Creed, COD4......etc.

The Wii has one great game and the PS3 is quite frankly behind in overall experience when it comes to the whole online aspect of each system.

To be fair, I do not own a PS3, or a Wii, but have played both. I don't see any reason to get a PS3 at this point as they offer no "killer app" at this point and the $50 a year I pay for live is much better than the free PSN.

This might change in the future but you buy a game system to play games......and the 360 smokes the other 2 systems in that department.

Just my opinion

[quote name='Thomas96']sideshow when you talk about holding business accountable for bad dealings, that makes you more of a "consumerist" than a CAG.[/quote]

A consumerist isn't a bad thing, though. Neither is a CAG. And since I am such a cheap ass gamer, when I spend money on a service I don't get, then I turn into a consumerist.

For the people that haven't heard of a consumerist (not insulting anyone's intelligence)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/consumerist

[quote name='trip1eX'].....................................

consolechartyr2.jpg
[/quote]

Good chart but Xbox 360 should also be with the PC in the I like video games section.

Two years from now the PS3 will be a much better console than the 360 imo. The only real reason the 360 has so much going for it now is that it got a head start in this console war. Third parties want to jump all over the console that releases first because the install base is naturally going to be larger. My problem with the 360 is that Microsoft has absolutely no intention of keeping it alive for any longer than the original Xbox. They have set themselves up very well over the short term but realize that the 360's staying power will be short lived. The hardware is just not advanced enough to last for a decade imo. Too many sku's, faulty hardware(still), expensive online service, are amongst some of the reasons why I feel the 360 will soon run out of steam. I'm telling you, the PS3 is going to make a comeback in a huge way this year. Next year at this time we will start to hear rumblings about Microsoft's next console, which imo will be teased at E3 2009.

Again, this is all my opinion. I just get upset when people declare the PS3 dead in the water. We are still early in its life, three years from now we can get a true sense of who was the most successful in the console generation.

And for the record, I don't even have a PS3 yet. Sometime in 2008 I will be buying one, holding off on one for a while has been easier since my brother already has one.

[quote name='Thomas96']...Cheapy is definitely pro 360 [which wouldn't be so much of a problem if it didn' effect his opinions on the show so blatantly]...[/QUOTE]

How is Cheapy expressing his opinion on the show a problem for you or anyone else? You and he aren't in total agreement, so what?

Same question to you Sideshow.

[quote name='MaxDense']How is Cheapy expressing his opinion on the show a problem for you or anyone else? You and he aren't in total agreement, so what?

Same question to you Sideshow.

[/QUOTE]

I can't say that I have a "problem" with anyone's opinion. But his opinions are skewed because he loves 360 so much. On some of Cheapy's opinions, I agree with them, and of course some I don't. The problem is when his love of the 360 skews facts. The fact that Cheapy didn't even realize that PS3 themes were free, and tried to indicate that you had to pay for them to excuse the fact that you have to pay for themes on the 360. Themes that you can't fully enjoy because of advertisements being in the way - [if you can remember cheapy complaining about his Soundwave 360 theme in a previous show], represents favortism, and favortism that skews facts, most definitely skews opinions. How about just saying, hey, Themes are better on the PS3. [but you cant say that when you got items on XBL.. right?!]

I wonder, are we getting CHeapy's honest opinion, or are we getting the "Paid for by Microsoft" opinion from Cheapy. MS out of the 3 (nintendo, sony, ms) most definitely needs to have lawsuits brought against them for their bad business dealings. I think we all can agree on this, so I just find it highly suspiscious that the head cheap ass would just want to throw a lawsuit against MS out the window so easily.

How convienient. While waiting for the CAGcast to load in a separate window, I started watching Wombat at Nintendo World. As soon as the video finished, the CAGcast started. Perfect timing! :D Anyway, lets hope my ears enjoy the next 2 hours.

[quote name='Thomas96']I can't say that I have a "problem" with anyone's opinion. But his opinions are skewed because he loves 360 so much...The fact that Cheapy didn't even realize that PS3 themes were free, and tried to indicate that you had to pay for them [/quote]Maybe I just didn't know, as indicated when I asked Wombat, "They are all free?". I'm not sure what that has to do with the Xbox 360. Also, I don't "love the 360 so much". However, as I showed earlier in this thread, it does have the most best reviewed games, so it shouldn't be surprising that I play it more.

[quote name='Thomas96']I wonder, are we getting CHeapy's honest opinion, or are we getting the "Paid for by Microsoft" opinion from Cheapy. [/quote] That would be an interesting theory if I was actually paid by Microsoft.

[quote name='CheapyD']Maybe I just didn't know, as indicated when I asked Wombat, "They are all free?". I'm not sure what that has to do with the Xbox 360. Also, I don't "love the 360 so much". However, as I showed earlier in this thread, it does have the most best reviewed games, so it shouldn't be surprising that I play it more.

That would be an interesting theory if I was actually paid by Microsoft.[/QUOTE]

The fact that you "Didn't know" that the themes were free just shows that you're totally into the 360. Which isn't a problem in itself, but it does make people think that you're biased.. or its a sign. I think that you ( and probably Wombat too) really only play PS3 for Cagcast purposes. No Cagcast no PS3 playtime. I listen to the show cause I like the show, all episodes, but since I've been listening.. you can tell which part of the show you enjoy doing most.

I definitely see your point with the review scores, but you used the number of best reviewed games to "justify" why you play the 360 most, because it fits, but even if those numbers were to even out, I don't think it would equal to more Ps3 playtime.

But that's just my theory.. we'll see you when Killzone 2, and Resistance 2 comes out.... that is if they get a 90.

If you were paid by Microsoft that theory would be true.. lol

[quote name='Thomas96']The fact that you "Didn't know" that the themes were free just shows that you're totally into the 360. [/QUOTE]
:lol:

You're an idiot.

Just because he doesn't know every little facet about That Triple doesn't mean he is "totally into the 360". It just means he didn't know.

[quote name='Thomas96']The fact that you "Didn't know" that the themes were free just shows that you're totally into the 360. Which isn't a problem in itself, but it does make people think that you're biased.. or its a sign. I think that you ( and probably Wombat too) really only play PS3 for Cagcast purposes. No Cagcast no PS3 playtime. I listen to the show cause I like the show, all episodes, but since I've been listening.. you can tell which part of the show you enjoy doing most.

I definitely see your point with the review scores, but you used the number of best reviewed games to "justify" why you play the 360 most, because it fits, but even if those numbers were to even out, I don't think it would equal to more Ps3 playtime.

But that's just my theory.. we'll see you when Killzone 2, and Resistance 2 comes out.... that is if they get a 90.

If you were paid by Microsoft that theory would be true.. lol[/QUOTE]

Is it wrong for someone to play games on one console more then on another one?

[quote name='cgarb84']Two years from now the PS3 will be a much better console than the 360 imo. The only real reason the 360 has so much going for it now is that it got a head start in this console war. Third parties want to jump all over the console that releases first because the install base is naturally going to be larger. My problem with the 360 is that Microsoft has absolutely no intention of keeping it alive for any longer than the original Xbox. They have set themselves up very well over the short term but realize that the 360's staying power will be short lived. The hardware is just not advanced enough to last for a decade imo. Too many sku's, faulty hardware(still), expensive online service, are amongst some of the reasons why I feel the 360 will soon run out of steam. I'm telling you, the PS3 is going to make a comeback in a huge way this year. Next year at this time we will start to hear rumblings about Microsoft's next console, which imo will be teased at E3 2009.
QUOTE]

I don't think any system should be expected to last 10 years in this day and age. Computers are obsolete every few years and technology evolves more rapidly than ever.

The Original xbox was superior in many ways to the PS3 and never caught on like the PS2 did. I kinda see that happening in reverse now with the 360 and the PS3.

[quote name='Thomas96'], but even if those numbers were to even out, I don't think it would equal to more Ps3 playtime.
[/quote]Why?

[quote name='zewone']:lol:

You're an idiot.

Just because he doesn't know every little facet about That Triple doesn't mean he is "totally into the 360". It just means he didn't know.[/quote]
For once I fully agree with you zew.

[quote name='Thomas96']The fact that you "Didn't know" that the themes were free just shows that you're totally into the 360. Which isn't a problem in itself, but it does make people think that you're biased.. or its a sign. I think that you ( and probably Wombat too) really only play PS3 for Cagcast purposes. No Cagcast no PS3 playtime. I listen to the show cause I like the show, all episodes, but since I've been listening.. you can tell which part of the show you enjoy doing most.

If you were paid by Microsoft that theory would be true.. lol[/quote]

You really need to STFU.

Its cheapy's show, its his site, and if he wants to like the xbox more then the ps3 then it's his prerogative to due so.

There is no reason why cheapy should have to defend himself against people like you. Its almost unreal the level of sony fanboyism you have. Take it back to the Sony Fourms.

[quote name='zewone']

Just because he doesn't know every little facet about That Triple doesn't mean he is "totally into the 360". It just means he didn't know.[/QUOTE]

I think that worked when the show was on episode 40. I mean one of the main reasons we are exposed to Navy ads is to make the CAGcast more credible. Credibility in my mind doesn't come from ads, it comes from knowing your shit.

(I'm willing to give Cheapy a pass as of late because a new kid will fuck with your time )

I'd bust Cheapy's balls on the PS3 side of things if he was like "Uncharted? When's that coming out?". Little things like themes isn't anything to get worked up over.

I don't think any system should be expected to last 10 years in this day and age. Computers are obsolete every few years and technology evolves more rapidly than ever.

The Original xbox was superior in many ways to the PS3 and never caught on like the PS2 did. I kinda see that happening in reverse now with the 360 and the PS3.
I don't think the PS3 will last 10 years but I bet it easily outlasts the 360. Microsoft will be the first console maker to unveil their next console. When the 360 sales start to slow and fall behind the PS3 they won't have any other choice. This is just how I see things playing out. People are just way too quick to write Sony off.

Cheapy,

Just writing in to say that as a (relatively) new father myself (a 17-month-old girl), I'm loving your depictions of stay-at-home-dad life. I work from home, too, and have gone through everything you have (except: girls don't pee on you while you change them; they just pee all over everything else). So I have to give you one piece of advice: Get yourself a nanny. The grandma route works for a while, but the fun gets old fast for them and soon enough they're calling in sick (it's so sad to see your own mom -- or mother in law -- slacking off). Plus, they'll drive you crazy. Now is the easy time. Your kid basically eats, sleeps, and soils diapers. But in a few months, he'll be moving. And then it's over for you, buddy. There are three of us now in my household, and trust me, I'm both the least powerful and the closest to mental collapse. Seriously: Get yourself a nanny. Pay her whatever she wants. Pay her in DS games if you have to. You're going to need help. And your wife will not understand. Oh and Nanny hiring tip: Try to steer away from the ones who have more than one cell phone or lots of nanny friends in the neighborhood. They will neglect your child. I don't know about you, but I watched a whole lot of movies while feeding the kid in the middle of night -- and everything between 3 and 5 am seems to star Cher. By the way, the celibacy thing after childbirh lasts a REAL long time. Happy fatherhood, dude!

I really don't understand the malcontents on this forum, to me the cag cast shouldn't generate this kind of controversy.
Nobody can really argue that the PS3 has better software overall than the 360, I mean cheapy offered empirical evidence.
What's the point of hardware without software?
Why can't someone favor one console over another (as a result of the current software library) and not be biased?
Not knowing themes were free on PS3 isn't proof of anything, who really cares about themes anyway?
For all these allegations, there is very little real evidence other than the fact cheapy said some things that stuck in the craw of loyal PS3 owners.
It's very toubling to see people treating a c-list internet celebrity so unfairly, you just build peope up to tear them down.

I will say that it was somewhat mean-spirited to read the email/pm from the guy who wanted his own cag cast, even though it was very very funny..

[quote name='CheapyD']Why?[/QUOTE]

because the 360 is your primary system of choice. Everyone one has their primary system and then they have other systems that they play. No problem.

But everyone's bias to a degree, not a problem either. If you think about all the shows, from 07.. you dont think that you were or could have been a little pro 360? Not saying that you were actually trying to do it... but it could happen. The same thing can happen to anyone doing a podcast, especially where you're giving your opinion on everything, in one show. If I was podcasting then of course I'd have to be careful about being bias against the 360.

[quote name='Thomas96']because the 360 is your primary system of choice. [/quote]Sigh...I'll just address this all (again) on this week's show.

[quote name='Thomas96']The fact that you "Didn't know" that the themes were free just shows that you're totally into the 360.[/quote]

Let me help you out a little bit. Cheapy, it wasn't that you didn't know that the PS3 themes were free. It was what you was saying before. You didn't say "Are the PS3 themes free?" FIRST. Before you asked you said "The PS3 themes cost money, too. They cost like a buck or something." Then Wombat corrected you. Then you asked. You didn't have the facts, but you were willing to talk about them on the fly without the knowledge of what you were saying, because you don't like the PS3.

Cheapy, do you even know why I'm making a big deal out of this to you? The gamers need to get the word back to Microsoft that we're not going to let this stand. I cannot contact Microsoft myself. They will not listen. You're an internet gaming journalist. You have a direct contact to Major Nelson and Microsoft. I don't. I know that you have a good relationship with Microsoft and don't want to get in trouble and would like to have Major Nelson's friendship, but the fact remains that they are screwing us gamers. The same gamers that buy stuff through the cag and support you. You're supposed to be the voice of the gamers. If you talk MS will listen. If you, 1UP, Joystiq and Kotaku spoke out against this. You think the word wouldn't get back to Microsoft. You should be defending us. Besides the above mentioned, let me give you some more facts showing why the Gold Members are getting screwed. Of the 10,000,000 members. 6,000,000 are Silver members. They don't even get online to play games, but they can get online to shop. Those 6,000,000 are going to get a free game for the Gold Members not being able to play online. So, this is good PR for Microsoft for the Silver Members.

Look, you're allowed to love the 360 all you want. Just don't let your love for the system skew your views on what's right or wrong. Just back up your gaming community. I'm sure if we done a poll. More people would rather have a free month of online (not free, more like provided late) than an XBL arcade game. Go ahead. Start a poll. If you're right. I'll leave the CAG forums (I know you can ban me, but I'll leave on my own) If you're wrong. You come out on the cagcast and send a message to Major Nelson about Xbox live being down for a month with a free XBLA game isn't adequate compensation for being down during the time that when people like me and most other CAGs that have full time jobs get screwed out of the time they have to play online since most people are out of work from before Christmas to the New Year. All that time free and not getting to enjoy any of that time playing games online. Without taking vacation time, that's the last time I'll have that long off work until this December. I feel very cheated.

bread's done
Back