CAGcast #103: Download This!

[quote name='zewone']Cheapy, can you just ban these trolls? Make it easier for you and everyone else who isn't retarded.[/quote]

I noticed you only have an XBL account listed on your profile.

[quote name='Sideshow']I noticed you only have an XBL account listed on your profile.[/quote]

Would you like a cookie?

[quote name='Sideshow']I noticed you only have an XBL account listed on your profile.[/QUOTE]
Because the PS3 tag cause my posts to be too large.

The XBL actually shows the games, score, and gamerpic. It has more purpose.

Where are yours?

[quote name='Thomas96']because the 360 is your primary system of choice. Everyone one has their primary system and then they have other systems that they play. No problem.

But everyone's bias to a degree, not a problem either. If you think about all the shows, from 07.. you dont think that you were or could have been a little pro 360?

I admit, I'm bias towards PS3 myself, because its my primary system, and the 360 is my second fav, and later on I'll get a Wii.[/QUOTE]

If it's not a big deal, then why do you keep bringing it up?

[quote name='Sideshow']Let me help you out a little bit. Cheapy, it wasn't that you didn't know that the PS3 themes were free. It was what you was saying before. You didn't say "Are the PS3 themes free?" FIRST. Before you asked you said "The PS3 themes cost money, too. They cost like a buck or something." Then Wombat corrected you. Then you asked. You didn't have the facts, but you were willing to talk about them on the fly without the knowledge of what you were saying, because you don't like the PS3.

Cheapy, do you even know why I'm making a big deal out of this to you? The gamers need to get the word back to Microsoft that we're not going to let this stand. I cannot contact Microsoft myself. They will not listen. You're an internet gaming journalist. You have a direct contact to Major Nelson and Microsoft. I don't. I know that you have a good relationship with Microsoft and don't want to get in trouble and would like to have Major Nelson's friendship, but the fact remains that they are screwing us gamers. The same gamers that buy stuff through the cag and support you. You're supposed to be the voice of the gamers. If you talk MS will listen. If you, 1UP, Joystiq and Kotaku spoke out against this. You think the word wouldn't get back to Microsoft. You should be defending us. Besides the above mentioned, let me give you some more facts showing why the Gold Members are getting screwed. Of the 10,000,000 members. 6,000,000 are Silver members. They don't even get online to play games, but they can get online to shop. Those 6,000,000 are going to get a free game for the Gold Members not being able to play online. So, this is good PR for Microsoft for the Silver Members.

Look, you're allowed to love the 360 all you want. Just don't let your love for the system skew your views on what's right or wrong. Just back up your gaming community. I'm sure if we done a poll. More people would rather have a free month of online (not free, more like provided late) than an XBL arcade game. Go ahead. Start a poll. If you're right. I'll leave the CAG forums (I know you can ban me, but I'll leave on my own) If you're wrong. You come out on the cagcast and send a message to Major Nelson about Xbox live being down for a month with a free XBLA game isn't adequate compensation for being down during the time that when people like me and most other CAGs that have full time jobs get screwed out of the time they have to play online since most people are out of work from before Christmas to the New Year. All that time free and not getting to enjoy any of that time playing games online. Without taking vacation time, that's the last time I'll have that long off work until this December. I feel very cheated.[/QUOTE]

If one wishes to call someone out for the perceived bias they see, maybe one shouldn't spew all this hate over Miccrosoft either........just a thought

[quote name='lowgear26']If one wishes to call someone out for the perceived bias they see, maybe one shouldn't spew all this hate over Miccrosoft either........just a thought[/QUOTE]
I don't see it as hate at all. He's commenting on stuff any 360 owner should be at least annoyed by.

[quote name='CheapyD']Sigh...I'll just address this all (again) on this week's show.[/QUOTE]

last thing I'll say before the show...

anyone can be bias, doesn't mean they try to be, its human nature. The only thing you can do is try to control for being bias. No different than a researcher controlling for biases in a research project.

example - when you bought Wombat a PS3 and the next week you gave the impression that you were surprised that he liked it. - [people felt that you were, or a bit bias at that time and you got blasted in the forums for it. ]

My goal is basically make you aware that you can be biased at times, and thus by being aware you can control for it. By doing that no one from the CAG community feels cheated when their portion of the show comes up. Or like in sildeshow's case feel like.. two average guys who just were giving their opinions, now seem like corporate pawns that care more about the corporation (MS) than the consumer.

[quote name='LiK']quick correction Cheapy, a 360 game is about 4.7GB since that's all a single 360 DVD disc can hold. btw, nice hat!

[/quote]

Actually dual layer holds 9.4 GB so Cheapy isn't wrong. Plus the install on the PS3 will definately decrease load times. As far as the hard drive space goes the PS3 is really cheap to upgrade. I put a 120GB in my 20GB PS3 for less than $60.

[quote name='CheapyD']Sigh...I'll just address this all (again) on this week's show.[/quote]

I wouldn't, just ignore them. If they hate the show that much let them stop listening, but we all know that won't happen. They can't seem to understand that someone has different thoughts and opinions that they have.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I don't see it as hate at all. He's commenting on stuff any 360 owner should be at least annoyed by.[/QUOTE]

This comment goes along with his previous posts as well.

I also am personally sick of people acting like the live outage costs them their lives. Dollar wise, it was not even a gallon of gas financially that we are out, and they gave out an 800 point game instead.

I dont care what service you use, you will always have issues and downtime. People just dont get that and will continue to act like that Microsoft has wronged everyone with what they have done.

The PS3 is a fine system but people need to come to terms with the rage they feel when someone may have a "different" opinion of a system than them.

For all that Microsoft does do wrong.....WITH DRM BEING TOPS ON THIS LIST.....they do try to fix what they screw up or offer a sensible resolution to these problems.

[quote name='lowgear26']This comment goes along with his previous posts as well.

I also am personally sick of people acting like the live outage costs them their lives. Dollar wise, it was not even a gallon of gas financially that we are out, and they gave out an 800 point game instead.

I dont care what service you use, you will always have issues and downtime. People just dont get that and will continue to act like that Microsoft has wronged everyone with what they have done.

The PS3 is a fine system but people need to come to terms with the rage they feel when someone may have a "different" opinion of a system than them.

For all that Microsoft does do wrong.....WITH DRM BEING TOPS ON THIS LIST.....they do try to fix what they screw up or offer a sensible resolution to these problems.[/quote]

Please go back and read the math in my previous post. Here's why it was a big deal.

1. Microsoft profited $15,000,000 or so off the deal and spent $1,000,000 on getting some good PR by giving out a free game.
2. I work. ALOT. Christmas was the only time me and a bunch of other people had off to make use of the money they've spent on XBL.
3. The people that paid for an XBL subscription, paid for an XBL subscription. Not undertow.
4. It's true no matter what service you use, you will always have downtime, but two things about that. I've never had any other service I've prepaid for be down for a month. If my internet is down, it's only for a few hours. If my power is out. It's only for a few hours. And the second part of that, when the service is down, then I'm not having to pay for it. If my internet is down, one call and they give me a credit on my bill for it. If my electricity is out. I can't use it, so I can't get charged.
5. The company that revolutionized the computer industry, ran out of bandwidth for computers, with all their billions of dollars, they ran out. How stupid can they be? My power company has never ran out of electricity and my phone has never ran out of minutes.

The Microsoft service was just completely unacceptable. As for the gallon of gas comment, yes it does only cost a little bit more than a gallon of gas, so if you want to, look at it as I'm trying to help get 4,000,000 people a free gallon of gas.

[quote name='CheapyD']Sigh...I'll just address this all (again) on this week's show.[/quote]

I would just ignore them. They won't stop listening and next week it will be something else.

"You spent one second longer talking about Microsoft than Sony and you have a different view point and opinion than I do. Boycott...until next week." It will keep going on and on. Ignore the fanboys, or they will never stop.

[quote name='Sideshow']Please go back and read the math in my previous post. Here's why it was a big deal.

1. Microsoft profited $15,000,000 or so off the deal and spent $1,000,000 on getting some good PR by giving out a free game.
2. I work. ALOT. Christmas was the only time me and a bunch of other people had off to make use of the money they've spent on XBL.
3. The people that paid for an XBL subscription, paid for an XBL subscription. Not undertow.
4. It's true no matter what service you use, you will always have downtime, but two things about that. I've never had any other service I've prepaid for be down for a month. If my internet is down, it's only for a few hours. If my power is out. It's only for a few hours. And the second part of that, when the service is down, then I'm not having to pay for it. If my internet is down, one call and they give me a credit on my bill for it. If my electricity is out. I can't use it, so I can't get charged.
5. The company that revolutionized the computer industry, ran out of bandwidth for computers, with all their billions of dollars, they ran out. How stupid can they be? My power company has never ran out of electricity and my phone has never ran out of minutes.

The Microsoft service was just completely unacceptable. As for the gallon of gas comment, yes it does only cost a little bit more than a gallon of gas, so if you want to, look at it as I'm trying to help get 4,000,000 people a free gallon of gas.[/QUOTE]

My question to you is if you only have so much time for gaming, then why worry about an extra month? I mean it just seems to me that your so busy that the extra month for you, would be wasted.

Live was down around 2 weeks, They are giving out a $10 game that they didnt have to do. It would've been cheaper for them to give you a free month but they didn't. If you want your time back, call them up and complain. Don't sit here and speak for everyone saying that their lives changed as a result of the downtime.

If Microsoft is as bad as you suggest, they could easily shit on the consumer and give us nothing. Just remember that.

[quote name='lowgear26']My question to you is if you only have so much time for gaming, then why worry about an extra month? I mean it just seems to me that your so busy that the extra month for you, would be wasted.

Live was down around 2 weeks, They are giving out a $10 game that they didnt have to do. It would've been cheaper for them to give you a free month but they didn't. If you want your time back, call them up and complain. Don't sit here and speak for everyone saying that their lives changed as a result of the downtime.

If Microsoft is as bad as you suggest, they could easily shit on the consumer and give us nothing. Just remember that.[/quote]

All of my gaming time comes on the weekends. I'd be able to put that extra month to use, BUT if you'd please read, I've already answered all the stuff you just brought up.

I'm not doing this just for me. I'm doing it for everyone who got screwed by Microsoft.

It WOULD NOT have been cheaper for them to give out the free month of XBL. They would stand to lose about 16,000,000 at least, that's with the math rounded down. Do you really think they could've made $ 16,000,000 off of Undertow?

I'm not saying anyone's life was changed, but everyone who tried to play online that month and didn't get to had their life affected, though. Not majorly, but it did have an affect.

Microsoft IS as bad as I say. I haven't made up a single thing I've said about Microsoft and have backed it all up with sources. They DID shit on the customer and give us nothing. They gave us a month of downtime. That's shitting on the customer.

I don't know why I'm having to restate what I've said. Before you post another question that's been answered. READ!

[quote name='cerial442']I would just ignore them. They won't stop listening and next week it will be something else.

"You spent one second longer talking about Microsoft than Sony and you have a different view point and opinion than I do. Boycott...until next week." It will keep going on and on. Ignore the fanboys, or they will never stop.[/quote]

No, I do plan on listening to CAGcast 104 as does my friend who agrees with me and depending on what's said on that show, then we could very well be done with it. I've found two other smaller sites that do gaming podcasts and I like both of them, so I can just replace the CAGcast with these two. I'm not naming names, because I'm not trying to promote these two on the CAG forum, but combined they are about 2 hours long and it's every week, so I have my gaming news without having to listen to the CAGcast.

[quote name='Sideshow']No, I do plan on listening to CAGcast 104 as does my friend who agrees with me and depending on what's said on that show, then we could very well be done with it. I've found two other smaller sites that do gaming podcasts and I like both of them, so I can just replace the CAGcast with these two. I'm not naming names, because I'm not trying to promote these two on the CAG forum, but combined they are about 2 hours long and it's every week, so I have my gaming news without having to listen to the CAGcast.[/quote]

Well good for you. :applause:

I hope neither of the podcasts mentions Microsoft at all so you will be happy.

[quote name='Bells']By the way, the celibacy thing after childbirh lasts a REAL long time.[/quote]
/signed

[quote name='dudewhojustwontstfu'] I'm doing it for everyone who got screwed by Microsoft.[/quote]
Can you please copy/paste all the people asking you to be a zealous martyr with an ego complex?

If you REALLY we're "Doing it", you'd be doing it at the right person.

[quote name='cerial442']Well good for you. :applause:

I hope neither of the podcasts mentions Microsoft at all so you will be happy.[/quote]

You don't get it do you? I like the 360. In fact, the 360 is probably my favorite system as well, but that doesn't mean my opinion of it is going to skew the facts for me. I also do like the PS3 and the Wii. That fact has nothing to do with my views on how I think what Microsoft is doing is wrong. If I didn't like the Xbox and never played it online. I wouldn't care. If the Wii online crashed for a month I wouldn't notice, because I've never played a Wii game online.

notice that the only people that are arguing for cheapy and against sideshow are those who have at least 10,000 gamerscore points. Basically people who are avid 360 players are the ones sticking up for MS. [and MS' BS]

[quote name='Thomas96']notice that the only people that are arguing for cheapy and against sideshow are those who have at least 10,000 gamerscore points. Basically people who are avid 360 players are the ones sticking up for MS. [and MS' BS][/quote]

Yeah, but I don't have 10,000 points.

[quote name='Sideshow']You don't get it do you? I like the 360. In fact, the 360 is probably my favorite system as well, but that doesn't mean my opinion of it is going to skew the facts for me. I also do like the PS3 and the Wii. That fact has nothing to do with my views on how I think what Microsoft is doing is wrong. If I didn't like the Xbox and never played it online. I wouldn't care. If the Wii online crashed for a month I wouldn't notice, because I've never played a Wii game online.[/quote]
Well I got the impression based on what you first said in this thread. It went something like this.

Let me start off by giving a big fuck you to the both of you. I'm fucking sick of your Microsoft fanboy shit. Why don't you shut the fuck up and sell your PS3s already. Let me sum up the show for you using your obviously extremely biased views of the systems. I'm gonna skip the obviously stupid things you said such as the comments you made for devil may cry 4.

30:11 - Onto new releases, all for the Wii.
30:40 - Let's just skip right to "On the DL".
(whoa that was quite the amount of research and effort you put into the show there)

This should've been an early sign that the show was going to be a bow down and take it in the ass from Xbox while asking for more and ignoring the other two systems, but let's skip ahead to when your bullshit takes off, one right after the other.
I mean, I could sort see where someone would get the impression your not a Microsoft fan.

[quote name='lowgear26']personally sick of people acting like the live outage costs them their lives. Dollar wise, it was not even a gallon of gas financially that we are out, and they gave out an 800 point game instead.

For all that Microsoft does do wrong.....WITH DRM BEING TOPS ON THIS LIST.....they do try to fix what they screw up or offer a sensible resolution to these problems.[/quote]

I've posted this in the compensation thread, but I'll try again here.

The game is really nice. You are correct, dollar for dollar, it is more valuable than the service lost. However, the "gift" doesn't really answer for the loss.

This is a "gift" given to gold and silver members in much the same way they have given other games before this. All of this is fine. I'm not calling up Microsoft, I don't think I've even complained about not being able to play on Live reliably for 3-4 weeks. And I really don't believe lawsuits are the way to go, ever.

In my experience, services do typically cover their down time even though they have verbiage that says they are not responsible. I've had cable, telephone, and cell phone providers not charge me for the time they were down. (I.E. Give me "free" days or weeks.)

I believe Microsoft is in the unenviable position of needing to rectify the situation for people who don't pay directly for the service. The fact that gamertags are so important to the 360 experience and that patches have become a necessity for certain games means that everyone needs the service to be up at once. It may be just as detrimental to silver members as it is to gold members.

Don't you wish that with how "easily" they gave out this game to everyone; they could just as easily take care of people who are attempting to work through DRM issues? They can "give" millions of people a game that at best is dubiously "deserved", but they can't let people use merchandise that they purchased.

Undertow seems to be an easy, obvious grab at good publicity.

Here is a fair question....LISTEN SLIDESHOW. Live was down for everyone. How can you extend service for all people when Gold and Silver accounts were affected?

They had to do something, other than giving away more time because not everyone pays for the time that they lost.

[quote name='cgarb84']I usually get disappointed when he talks about his lack of Wii play, just because I love SMG and I just want him to like it as much as I do. We all know he likes 360 a lot, he has said in previous podcasts his reasons for that. The only times I get frustrated listening to the podcast is when he talks about playing games on 360 that are either terrible or just bad. Kane and Lynch is a good example this week.[/QUOTE]

This will probably be buried in the mess that this thread has become but this is a good point. I haven't continued reading past here (page 8 or so) so forgive me if the discussion went off on different topics or if Sideshow made more of a mess since then.

Hey, I don't care what Cheapy thinks about the Wii or PS3 either (and enjoy the CAGcast regardless). But it is a bit frustrating when Cheapy says with such finality that the Wii is not meant for gamers like him and Wombat (and thus most of the rest of us too). I just listened to that part of the 'cast. It's no big deal by any means, so take it as very lighthearted criticism.

I just want to bring up one more thing that I mentioned in the past related to this. When Metroid Prime 3 came out (which no one can argue is not for "real gamers" or "core gamers" or whatever the hell else you want to call them) I remember Cheapy saying it was probably good but what's the point of playing a game like that right away when there's no online component. Fair enough - but then I couldn't help but notice he jumped right into Bioshock and Mass Effect and completed those single-player only games right after they were released. Again, it's no big deal, but is is ever so slightly hypocritical.

I'm finally getting around to playing Mass Effect right now and I think it is pretty damn good, but I wouldn't say it is any better than Metroid Prime 3. And especially since Cheapy seems to favor FPS-type games (which I don't), you'd think he'd want to give MP3 a thorough playthrough (if nothing else to compare the control scheme which I think is one of the few solid uses of the Wii remote). So even if a stellar mainstream game comes out in the Wii (such as MP3), it seems it will be hard-pressed to get a fair shake from you guys. (And yes, Wombat seems a little more inclined towards Wii games - not sure if he said he played through MP3 or not but he did seem more positive about it). I can certainly say that MP3 was far more challenging than Mass Effect (I played both on "normal") - so if you want to look at it in terms of "challenging games for gamers", MP3 beats out Mass Effect in that "hardcore" category. MP3 is certainly not a game for grandma and Aunt Lily.

One of these days I'll get around to playing Bioshock (which I have sitting here). I feel no pressing need to get to that right away ;). And note that I do spend more time playing the 360 than the Wii - no doubt. But I wouldn't give up the Wii (or sell it as others on CAG have done). I expect a steady stream of good games from both Nintendo AND other publishers this year. And I'll probably be picking up a PS3 later this year too. I hope LBP lives up to the hype that Cheapy has given it! (Those who think he has a strong anti-PS3 bias need to keep that in mind.)

[quote name='lowgear26']Here is a fair question....LISTEN SLIDESHOW. Live was down for everyone. How can you extend service for all people when Gold and Silver accounts were affected?

They had to do something, other than giving away more time because not everyone pays for the time that they lost.[/quote]

I'm sure they have a list of people that had paid fo that month. If need be they could give a free month to the gold members. Personally, I don't think it would hurt to give all XBL users a free month, they cover their ass, good PR and those that tried their free month with the new 360 systems didn't get an accurate representation of what the XBL service has to offer, since their free month was wasted.

[quote name='cerial442']I mean, I could sort see where someone would get the impression your not a Microsoft fan.[/quote]

I'm sure someone could get that impression or they could re-read what you quoted and instead of seeing it was anti-Microsoft, then they could see it as one man's love for Microsoft skewing his views on what MS has done to it's members here.

I think the main problem is some of you think Cheapy and Wombat are "journalists." Therefore, you think they shouldn't have any bias one way or another. Guess what? They're not journalists. CAG is about cheap ass games, the only real news you find here, is news about deals on games. Sure, there are news items reported in the general gaming forums, but that's usually stuff copy and pasted from other places like Kotaku, Joystiq, 1up, etc.

During the CAGcast these guys have never reported anything that couldn't be heard or read elsewhere already. They just give their opinions on those news items. They don't do reviews of any kind, they don't report any 'new' news, and hell they don't even talk about gaming deals on the CAGcast. They are just two guys that give their opinion on gaming and the gaming industry. They should be allowed to have a bias towards anything they want.

[quote name='CheapyD']I think many people are confusing the words "bias" and "preference".[/quote]

Semantics at this point. People are going to give you shit just for preferring 360 over Wii or PS3.

[quote name='Sideshow']I'm sure someone could get that impression or they could re-read what you quoted and instead of seeing it was anti-Microsoft, then they could see it as one man's love for Microsoft skewing his views on what MS has done to it's members here.[/quote]

Read again you complained because they mentioned Microsoft too much, and ignored the other two systems.

[quote name='CheapyD']I think many people are confusing the words "bias" and "preference".[/quote]

fuck em'. You like to play your 360 when it works, big deal. It's just fanboys being tards. They forget how you've enjoyed PS3 games and some Wii stuff in the past, it's just few and far between and their little fanboy minds can't handle it if you don't love their toy, grill, or heat box 24/7.

How can you call Cheapy bias? Not only does he own all three systems, but he also bought Wombat a PS3 so they could discuss all three systems on the show.

I also own all three systems. The 80gb PS3 is in the living room being used for the Blu-Ray and my four year old plays kiddie ps2 games on it. I only have Ratchet and Clank and Fight Night for myself. The Wii and 360 are in the basement and My wife, son and I all play Wii bowling and Mario party and I play Mario galaxy. The Wife plays VC mario nes games. I play 360 the most because they have the most games , best games, and the best online experience. Among those who own all three consoles, I would bet 90% of owners feel the same way.

I am more then willing to admit that in two years PS3 could catch up in game quality but today, that is just not true. Even Shane "sony" Bettenhausen admitted as much on the last couple of 1up yours.

[quote name='CheapyD']I think many people are confusing the words "bias" and "preference".[/QUOTE]

word.....

[quote name='Kosh']...some of you think Cheapy and Wombat are "journalists."...
...Guess what? They're not journalists.... [/QUOTE]

Hm - don't know if you can honestly make that point. Wombat is what I'd call a journalist with his UGO gig (although he's one of the most piss-poor ones I've seen), and Cheapy has done a thing here and there that I'd consider "game-journalist" like.

They're putting themselves out there as such.

I dont know whose confused about preference and bias. Cheapy I know you prefer your 360, that in itself is no means a problem. But your preference of the system can sometimes lead to actions/statements/beliefs that could be deemed as a bias towards another system, or a bias for MS, especially when its being contrasted constantly to your preference. [the 360]

xbox fans don't care, but see what happens if one day you start to prefer the PS3 more than the 360, and the opposite situation could occur, where you may be biased against the 360, and 360 fans may come here to complain about that.

As I mentioned earlier, just keep in mind that its at least possible to be biased and try not to be [biased] as best you can.

[quote name='Thomas96']I dont know whose confuset about preference and bias. Cheapy I know you prefer your 360, that in itself is no means a problem. But your preference of the system can sometimes lead to actions/statements/beliefs that could be deemed as a bias towards another system, or a bias for MS, especially when its being contrasted constantly to your preference. [the 360]

xbox fans don't care, but see what happens if one day you start to prefer the PS3 more than the 360, and the opposite situation could occur, where you may be biased against the 360, and 360 fans may come here to complain about that.

As I mentioned earlier, just keep in mind that its at least possible to be biased and try not to be as best you can.[/quote]

WTF.

English next time.

bread's done
Back