Chris Benoit's wrestling topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, SNME was a one spot show. Now do you see why top ropes moves in the WWE are rare, so that when a spot like tonight's comes along, it's all the more impressive. I thought the opening was pretty dumb, and completely out of character for everyone. That kind of schtick works in the late 80's, but not today. Why would HHH and Cena cut a silly co-promo 5 days after almost beating each other with sledgehammers and sharp spinny belts?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I thought the opening was pretty dumb, and completely out of character for everyone. That kind of schtick works in the late 80's, but not today. Why would HHH and Cena cut a silly co-promo 5 days after almost beating each other with sledgehammers and sharp spinny belts?[/quote]
Myke and I respectfully disagree w/you. OK, myke might not be respectful.;)

motherfucking, bullfucking, fucking cocksucking fucking piece of fucking shit bobfucking fuckcats - pistons game pre-empts fucking saturday fucking night fucking main e-fucking-vent and not only pre fucking empting it here, but now the motherfucking show isn't even fucking going to be on at all, I'm so glad I'm fucking gonna be out of this backfuckingwoods piece of fucking shit hick town with this re-fucking-tarded fucking charter fucking cable, god that pisses me off

Less than 2 fucking months mt pleasant, and I'm never fucking coming back to this shit-fucking-hole.

I hope one of my friends back home tivo'd the damn show

:bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']motherfucking, bullfucking, fucking cocksucking fucking piece of fucking shit bobfucking fuckcats - pistons game pre-empts fucking saturday fucking night fucking main e-fucking-vent and not only pre fucking empting it here, but now the motherfucking show isn't even fucking going to be on at all, I'm so glad I'm fucking gonna be out of this backfuckingwoods piece of fucking shit hick town with this re-fucking-tarded fucking charter fucking cable, god that pisses me off

Less than 2 fucking months mt pleasant, and I'm never fucking coming back to this shit-fucking-hole.

:bomb: :bomb: :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, the only thing of note you missed was a table spot that I'm sure someone will convert into an animated GIF in the next couple of days. Oh yeah, and you missed Mark Henry.

Don't let VanillaGorilla throw you, as a lot of us it seems thought the show was fairly solid from top to bottom.

Worst case scenario, you could always PWT it ZL?

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']motherfucking, bullfucking, fucking cocksucking fucking piece of fucking shit bobfucking fuckcats - pistons game pre-empts fucking saturday fucking night fucking main e-fucking-vent and not only pre fucking empting it here, but now the motherfucking show isn't even fucking going to be on at all, I'm so glad I'm fucking gonna be out of this backfuckingwoods piece of fucking shit hick town with this re-fucking-tarded fucking charter fucking cable, god that pisses me off

:bomb: :bomb: :bomb:[/quote]

mrtshaqfu9xy.jpg

[quote name='Genocidal']Don't let VanillaGorilla throw you, as a lot of us it seems thought the show was fairly solid from top to bottom.

Worst case scenario, you could always PWT it ZL?[/QUOTE]

Well, there was nothing on the show that warrants someone dropping 23 F-Bombs.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Good Lord, Scott Steiner is on the mic...[/QUOTE]

To be honest I've heard worse promos in my life.... I just can't think of ANY of them right now.

Watching SNME right now (worked 10 AM to 11 PM).... and you know what's scary...

I just marked out for HHH pedigreeing Cena. And you all know how much I can't stand either one of them.

Was it just me or did JR change? No "STONE COLD" when Austin came out and "MY GOD HE's BROKEN IN HALF, etc/" with the Shane/HBK bump.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Man, I forgot to set the DVR for this. I hope I can find a torrent tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Tomorrow? Shit, i'm already 50% done with mine. I set my DVR for it but i'm too lazy to go watch it on there.

Personally, I loved the opening short promos... oh the nostalgia!

That ladder spot was pretty nice, and the opening match wasn't bad - if for the sheer star power alone. We all knew it would devolve into everyone doing finishers on each other, but it was still satisfying.

OTOH, the rest of the show was a cancelled Boogeyman match, another boring and pointless Austin segment, a Diva tag team match (well, at least they finally pulled the trigger on Mickie). There was too much to sit through between the good opener and the Shane/HBK match... which had a lousy ending.

Even with that said, it was still better than most RAW/SD episodes. You can see they were trying hard for a PPV-quality thing here. Pyro budget alone must've been nuts!

Okay a few comments about both Impact and SNME... first with SNME... (edit: I'm spoilerizing this)

- Opening match was pretty decent but it seemed like as if everyone was just doing the same ole routine with the same ole spots we've seen week in week out. Would of been nice to see a little risk taking to make the opening match on the first SNME in nearly 15 years feel a little special for even those of us who watch every week. Oh well, it served its purpose on the show which was to hype up both World Title bouts on the card.

- Speaking of the opening match... like I posted earlier... its a sad day when I'm cheering for Triple H.

- Its a bummer that its not JBL vs Austin at Mania. If I hadn't known better I would of sworn that was going to take place instead of JBL vs Benoit for the US Title since until the end of the segment there was hardly any mention of the match, Benoit, or the US Title.

- Anything with Mark Henry pretty much is fast forward material. Sorry, but you would have to be brain dead or retarded to think that WWE would actually have Mark Henry be the one to end The Undertaker's undefeated Mania streak.

- You would think one of these days a wrestler would know when the lights in a room goes red and that tribal music hits they can just turn around and go "Hi Boogeyman." :rofl:

- The Edge/Foley promo worked on all levels to hype up the hardcore match at Mania. Its sad that I still feel that Edge should be champ instead of Chumpena, but then again Vince McMahon must think we all want another lengethy Triple H title run as that will certainly raise PPV buyrates, ticket sales, merchandise sales, and everything else you can imagine. (sarcasm implied heavily on that last sentence)

- I don't know what is worse... the ending to SNME with Shane putting HBK in the Sharpshooter while Vince calling for the bell ala Survivor Series 97.... or Jeff Jarrett's emulation of the NWO.

Speaking of TNA Impact....

- Believe it or not all joking I made about Steiner's promo earlier in this thread it did get the point across that him and Jarrett are "TNA's new face." Rather that is good or bad we'll have to wait and see, but it does work on the level of putting Steiner across as a heel even further than his actions at Destination X did. I don't fee in 2006 however that we the wrestling fans (and even further us TNA fans) need to see another version of the NWO lead by Jeff Jarrett - who out of all people should of realized how much damange this did to WCW.

- So far if anything in this there has been a few positives especially in giving a much better identity to a few talents including Alex Shelly and Eric Young. We can finally see that Alex Shelly can do more than just wrestle (and wrestle great mind you). I really do hope that TNA does find ways to add more character to other talents. If TNA can do this kind of magic to Shelly and Young I can only imagine what kind of character they can add to.. say... Jay Lethal.

- Kinda funny to see Cassidey Riley given the jobber status as of lately.

- I must say that this week's build up alone for Christian Cage vs Abyss is far better than the first week's build up for Cage vs Brown.

- Two nice matches during the show for both the World X Cup tournament qualifying match and the main event. Worth watching the Monday replay for these two alone.

- I'm also glad that TNA did a nice job in hyping up next week's broadcast which looks to be worth watching just for the main event Team 3D vs Team Canada cage match. They also hyped up a Steve Borden/Sting interview that will be on the show. I didn't read the spoilers so I don't know if this was shown to the Impact Zone crowd, but the general comments I read on the cage match is that its pretty good.

There ya go... hope this can get some chatter going on in this thread. Enjoy. :D

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Good Lord, Scott Steiner is on the mic...[/QUOTE]

whens that ever been a problem... hes da big bad booty daddy!!! his promos rock!

I thought this one of the better shows I seen from them on tv. keeping in mind I do not have cable so do not see monday nights. was lots of action and less mic time. If they did this every show there rateings and attendance surely would go up again

[quote name='guyver2077']whens that ever been a problem... hes da big bad booty daddy!!! his promos rock![/quote]

Your can literally see his thought process in real time when he tries to think of what he is trying to say next. Plus, he slurs and runs words together a lot. It's minor stuff, but I am surprised he gets as much mic time as he does.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Your can literally see his thought process in real time when he tries to think of what he is trying to say next. Plus, he slurs and runs words together a lot. It's minor stuff, but I am surprised he gets as much mic time as he does.[/QUOTE]

There is a car wreck quality to them, certainly. I do think he does effectively convey his superiority complex and disdain for the crowd. Regrettably, he also conveys that he is a complete buffoon that has a penchant for talking like a pirate. I think they're better than most people think they are, however.

SNME was fun. I got to FF through the Mark Henry segment, as well as the HBK/Shane match, so I got to watch what I wanted to see. I still don't care for the women's division, but Mickie James' character turn is awesome. "DO YOU LOVE ME NOW!!!?!?!?!" C'mon, it's the best they could do with it. Now they can do away with that bullshit Tony Basil theme music she has, and give her a devastating finisher. If there's something WWE knows very well, it's that an awesome finisher can erase the memory of the shitty match preceding it.

Impact was fun as well. I thought Simon Diamond showed himself to be a great character on the mic, the segment w/ the White Sox was funny (though I don't believe that AJ wears TNA shirts nor sports the X-title 'round Spring Training). Most importantly, Diamond seems to get the old wrestling adage that in professional wrestling, heels, in order to be heels, need to have an implicit character flaw or weakness. It's also important for them to show us that flaw often. In Diamond's case, it's the willful deception of showing him only hitting batting practice, while the good and truthful TNA knew better, and he felt embarrassed for himself at first (scrambling in a way that, dare I say it, reminded me of Heenan), then just making shit up ("any 10 year old with an iPod can do that on their computer"). Thumbs down of the night to computer nerd Mike Tenay, who shot back "I don't think you mean iPod, YOU MEAN PHOTOSHOP!" NYEH!

The reason that I bring up Diamond is because the two major bad guys in wrestling right now, Doubles and Triples J and H (respectively), have no idea how to convey weakness. The thing about pitting a good guy and a bad guy in a main event match is to convey the idea to the viewer that, in a completely fair match, with no runins or interference, the good guy would win everytime. That's a crucial part of a bad guy being a bad guy - he has to, out of necessity, or else he'd rarely win main event matches. The other half of that is to show the crowd what your weakness is: whether it's dependence on a manager, dependence on opportunities to cheat, playing a tough guy until confronted (the coward approach, most recently abandoned by JBL), and generally being beatable under most circumstances. The top two guys for both companies lack a great deal of that; as a matter of fact, them losing a match (*especially* a title match) is the exception, and no longer the rule. You and I, and many others, would be amazed to see HHH lose at 'Mania, and we'll be surprised to see JJJ lose the title (which recently happened, but that, I'd argue, doesn't invalidate my claim). It's interesting that I feel Triple H and Double J would learn a great deal by watching *Simon fucking Diamond*, but hey, it's what I feel.

The wrestling was wrestling. TNA can only do so much in an hour, and much of it was good, but at the same time, nothing to talk about. Samoa Joe kicking down the door, and the wall art falling down? +10 points.

At any rate, the night was short on quality wrestling (and shaddup, I don't care about Shane) and long on new storylines and some predictable, but nonetheless fresh twists.

BTW, you can hate the "canned promos" from the beginning of SNME, but it's (1) an homage to old SNME, and (2) a fast way of introducing characters to the audience who may have not watched before. As to why Cena and HHH didn't destroy each other? You can ask that about a lot of circumstances, both on and off camera, so I don't think that's a fair criticism.

[quote name='ECW_fan']That pretty funny. Speaking of that have you guys ever seen the Luger vs Brody match where Brody no sells Luger in a cage and scares him shitless.[/QUOTE]

yea thats a classic match lol

[quote name='ECW_fan']That pretty funny. Speaking of that have you guys ever seen the Luger vs Brody match where Brody no sells Luger in a cage and scares him shitless.[/quote]

Bruiser Brody was one of the few guys in wrestling who was actually scary. He truly didn't give a damn amd would beat the life out of you just as much as look at you.

Myke, what's your beef w/Shane? Personally, I find him entertaining.

SNME was some of the most quality non PPV work WWE has done in years. I loved all of it except for the Booker T / Boogeyman crap, Booker T is absolutely horrible on the mic and should be banned, and Boogeyman has gotten sale.

JBL / Austin's finish was predictable, but still alot of fun... like Demolition Man said, its really too bad its not JBL vs Austin at Wrestlemania.

I even liked the women's division... Trish flipping both girls was great, and I enjoyed the ending.

I marked out when Mick Foley took the thumbtacks to the head... that was very very cool. Its too bad they put out the burning table, as I REALLY wanted someone to get thrown through it.

The ending of the Shane / HBK was clever... I really didn't see that one coming.

The short promo's at the beginning were very well done. And having JR, King, and Tazz as announcers was great, they all worked well together... its alot better then Raw, where Joey Styles sucks. And who loved the part where "Coach has the interview with Mickie James" and all they showed was Coach's hand? :lol:

If they keep putting out SNME's like that, I will watch every single week. This is going to be a weekly show, right?

[quote name='neocisco']Myke, what's your beef w/Shane? Personally, I find him entertaining.[/QUOTE]

My guess is because Shane McMahon is getting a big push just because of him being daddy's son without actually paying his dues. While yes Shane is entertaining and yeah the match between him and HBK for the most part was pretty good (outside of the ending)... I can see if I'm right then why myke doesn't like Shane.

Dirtsheet time!! SNME bombs in the ratings,

The Fast National rating for WWE's "Saturday Night's Main Event" came in below a 3.4 last night (specific numbers were not available at press time), indicating that wrestling's presence on a major network did nothing to revitalize interest in the product.

According to Nielsen Media Research, NBC's two hours of wrestling caused the network to place last among the four channels offering national programming Saturday night.

The professional wrestling industry was looking for a significantly higher number, going as far as to suggest that anything below a 5.0 would be a disappointment.

While those within the TV industry had lower expectations, the score is also below those estimates and does not create an optimistic outlook for future WWE programming on NBC (outside of the confirmed summer SNME).

WWE sources will likely attribute the low rating to the NCAA tournament, but even then, the company will not be able to spin this as great news.

A number of WWF talent contracts from WrestleMania 11 are up for auction on Ebay for those interested. On sale are the contracts for Pamela Anderson, Steve McMichael, Reggie White, Chris Spielman, Jenny McCarthy and Joe Walsh, whose appearance was later nixed by Vince McMahon.

During the commercial break last night as the doctors were attending to both Shawn Michaels and Shane McMahon, Michaels leaned on a half fof the broken table with the legs still upright and a table piece flew and smacked McMahon hard under the eye. Vince immediately went out of work mode and got a concerned look on his face. When they came back from the break, you could see the cut under Shane's eye and would assume it was from the bump. (Thanks to Jack Encarnacao)

WWE advertised another Saturday Night's Main Event for 7/15 in Dallas at the American Airlines Arena.
(So no, not a weekly thing)

[quote name='Scorch']I wouldn't be suprised if it was just a one-time thing for Wrestlemania.[/QUOTE]

According to what I know SNME will be a twice a year event on NBC.

No, nothing against Shane personally. I'm just bored to tears of the "McMahon versus ______" shit they continue to pull, despite it only having one majorly successful run (vs. Austin).

I enjoy Shane's work, and don't really care if he paid his dues or not (though I understand everyday wrestlers claiming the bumps he take makes their job harder, since he wrestles so infrequently). I just don't care for the feud that it's contextualized in, so I don't feel like paying attention. More apathy than dislike (the latter belonging to any feud involving people like Mark Henry).

My only "smart mark" complaint about the show was that RVD was absent from a big-time Detroit show? That just shows the WWE is intentionally trying to bury him, IMO. Can't say I blame them, since he can't wrestle and the crowds hate him everywhere they go. :roll:

[quote name='Roufuss'] Booker T is absolutely horrible on the mic and should be banned[/quote]

Wow, is he really that bad to you? I thought Booker T was a highlight of the show, to be honest. I loved the over-the-top acting with Teddy Long and the doctor, and Booker playing up the coward role is great. There are a ton of wrestlers who I think would rank well below Booker's mic skills.

[quote name='Roufuss']SNME was some of the most quality non PPV work WWE has done in years. I loved all of it except for the Booker T / Boogeyman crap, Booker T is absolutely horrible on the mic and should be banned, and Boogeyman has gotten stale.[/quote]

I don't think I even need to make a bet that Boogeyman will be either forgotten about or will be Velocity fodder within a year from now.

JBL / Austin's finish was predictable, but still alot of fun... like Demolition Man said, its really too bad its not JBL vs Austin at Wrestlemania.

Since I don't watch WWE on such a consistant basis like the rest of you I actually thought that the whole beer bash was a build up towards JBL vs Austin as Mania... until suddenly Benoit runs in at the end and someone (forgot who) screamed on about JBL vs Benoit at Mania.

If WWE wants to actually sell me on wanting to order Mania then they didn't do a very good job on building up that match. Yes the segment was entertaining but it didn't exactly sell to me that Benoit is a legitimate US Title champ if you know what I mean.

I even liked the women's division... Trish flipping both girls was great, and I enjoyed the ending.

I'll have to admit..... Alexu.. I mean Micke James really does play the psycho insane part very well.

I marked out when Mick Foley took the thumbtacks to the head... that was very very cool. Its too bad they put out the burning table, as I REALLY wanted someone to get thrown through it.

I didn't care much for watching Foley just jump up after taking that thumbtacks spot. I know the point is that Foley is insane and can take a lot of pain without it bothering him but still....

The ending of the Shane / HBK was clever... I really didn't see that one coming.

I called it out right when I saw Vince coming out to the ring with Shane.

The short promo's at the beginning were very well done. And having JR, King, and Tazz as announcers was great, they all worked well together... its alot better then Raw, where Joey Styles sucks.

Its a bad constast in styles on RAW where you have Joey Styles trying to call whatever is going on meanwhile you have Coach and King off on their own little whatever that they are ranting about. JR does a better job at interjecting his comments within what King/Tazz was ranting about while still commentating on the match - something that Joey as much as I love him as a play by play announcer needs to learn how to do if he wants to be successful at WWE style commentating.

If they keep putting out SNME's like that, I will watch every single week.

Even with SNME's flaws I did enjoy what I saw. I really wish RAW and Smackdown could have this energy level every week. I would watch far more often and maybe even occasionally order a WWE PPV that has a good card on paper if the product on a weekly basis could be at least entertaining.

Its a bummer this tanked in ratings too. However outside of the hype on the internet wrestling world I didn't hear much of ANYTHING about this in the mainstream. Hell I'm hearing far more about Simond Diamond's trip to the White Sox's training camp than SNME (which was damn funny btw). We'll have to wait and see how this will affect the next SNME.

[quote name='mykevermin']No, nothing against Shane personally. I'm just bored to tears of the "McMahon versus ______" shit they continue to pull, despite it only having one majorly successful run (vs. Austin).

I enjoy Shane's work, and don't really care if he paid his dues or not (though I understand everyday wrestlers claiming the bumps he take makes their job harder, since he wrestles so infrequently). I just don't care for the feud that it's contextualized in, so I don't feel like paying attention. More apathy than dislike (the latter belonging to any feud involving people like Mark Henry).[/quote]

Very good point myke.... especially in regards towards dislike at Mark Henry. Any bet's we are going to see a Mark Henry vs Shannon Moore fued very soon on Velocity... with Shannon doing the job every single week?

My only "smart mark" complaint about the show was that RVD was absent from a big-time Detroit show? That just shows the WWE is intentionally trying to bury him, IMO. Can't say I blame them, since he can't wrestle and the crowds hate him everywhere they go. :roll:

RVD has to be wishing he could jump to TNA right about now.

[quote name='Scorch']Why did you break his post down and give your opinions on his opinions? I'm confused[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked a message forum is to discuss and communicate ideas and opinions. I guess since you are so confused on that idea I thought I would pass that along to you.

I haven't watched wrestling in a long time, probably the last time I watched it was when it was WWF and was on USA before it switched to Spike.

I thought SNME was done very well, it sucks to see that it bombed in ratings because I really liked most of the matches they put out. And damn that shit with Michaels vs Shane when they smashed the table on the landing....dayam.

I just read this from the march 8 Wrestling Observer newsletter

"It was very clear from those around that Vickie Guerrero should not have been brought to No Way Out. She was very nice to everyone publicly, but appeared uncomfortable, but luckily had Nancy Benoit and Valerie Coleman as friends to hang around with. There were people appalled at the company for flying her in coach, by herself and the idea they gave a confused woman a guilt trip to be there by saying Eddie would want her to do anything to help Rey, which she does believe. At the same time, they recognized she wasn't there to help rey's career, but to be the justification that the angle people were up in arms about was really okay, proof being that she was being part of it. And it did work, as much of the heat subsided with the idea that if she thought it was ok, then it must be. She had a hard time being there by the end of the night. The real tragedy of all this is that she is apparently in the process of losing her home."

Dam, thats just sad if true. Just how reliable is the wrestling observer?

I heard some rumors that Eddie had some financial issues he was working through. Most of it was due to his excess before he found his faith. Those are the rumors anyway.

So, my rant on how backwords this fucking shithole town Mt Pleasant is stands. True, I decided to come here, but where I was and who I was back when I made that decision are just so different that I almost painfully regret not going to Michigan State instead of trying to get further away from home, while staying at a more affordable in-state school like Central Michigan.

Anyway, as I was sitting on the couch with my girlfriend, flipping through channels a little after noon... what do I come across, of course SNME in on.

Now go ahead and ask me what channel it was on...

No, not NBC, that'd make too much fucking sense, I live in Mt. Buttfuck remember? So, the delayed SNME aired (un-listed mind you) on the WB. I have no idea why, Charter makes about as much sense as Vince McMahon.

As for SNME's ratings, this has to be a terrible sign for Wrestlemania. The WWE really pumped SNME on both their shows, so the low rating must be devastating.

Vince should attempt to rethink what little time he has left going into Wrestlemania, although given my knowledge of the company that I've watched for oh so many years, I'm sure he'll just say fuck it and go through with the worst WM ever.

Well, it's a bit late to change WM even if he had the idea to do so.

He ought to hire Austin Aries and perhaps Roderick Strong, since I'm certain that if Shannon Moore wasn't under TNA contract, they aren't either.

I think, at the end of the day, all the smart mark bullshit culminates in this rhetorical question that we all ask ourselves twice weekly: What the fuck has to happen to get Vince McMahon to put wrestling back on his show?

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']So, my rant on how backwords this fucking shithole town Mt Pleasant is stands. True, I decided to come here, but where I was and who I was back when I made that decision are just so different that I almost painfully regret not going to Michigan State instead of trying to get further away from home, while staying at a more affordable in-state school like Central Michigan.

Anyway, as I was sitting on the couch with my girlfriend, flipping through channels a little after noon... what do I come across, of course SNME in on.

Now go ahead and ask me what channel it was on...

No, not NBC, that'd make too much fucking sense, I live in Mt. Buttfuck remember? So, the delayed SNME aired (un-listed mind you) on the WB. I have no idea why, Charter makes about as much sense as Vince McMahon.

As for SNME's ratings, this has to be a terrible sign for Wrestlemania. The WWE really pumped SNME on both their shows, so the low rating must be devastating.

Vince should attempt to rethink what little time he has left going into Wrestlemania, although given my knowledge of the company that I've watched for oh so many years, I'm sure he'll just say fuck it and go through with the worst WM ever.[/QUOTE]

Well, Horsey SNME was pre-emptied by the Pistons vs. Bobcats on Saturday night on Channel 4 WDIV the NBC Affliate here in Detroit so they moved SNME to WDTV Channel 20 at 8:00 p.m. to 10 p.m. So that would be the reason it was on the WB network here in Detroit.

The question is... why not just put the Pistons/Bobcats game on the WB? I'm a huge Pistons fan and all, but it was such a minor game, and against the Bobcats no less.

Anyway, seems I've fallen well behind the top spot in our fantasy league, so looks like my picks this week will have to really come through in order to catch up to that damn Captain Charisma. I'd hate for things to be already wrapped up going into Wrestlemania.

-- Apparently Vince has given the order for a series of WWE novels. The first one, scheduled for a summer 2006 release, features Vince himself in a James Bond-like role where he and several wrestlers go undercover to bust a drug operation.

I cannot wait to read that.

Oh, and Tajiri has agreed to be on ECW: One Night Stand this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back