Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

So I wonder if there will be any bonus items if you have a Demon's Souls save file or a completed game file...

[quote name='Zmonkay']So pumped. Day 1! Please have a kickass "Limited Edition" like the first one. Looks fantastic. I wonder how "open" and "explorable" the open world will really be. Are we talking Oblivion/Two Worlds II gigantic map with tons of dungeons to find? If so, omg...[/QUOTE]
Eh, I don't know, there are benefits to an expansive, open world and there are benefits to scripted, semi-linear levels like there are in Demon's Soul's. In open world games there is often a lot of bland, filler space or cookie-cutter caves/buildings/woods in order to artificially increase the size of the world. Not to mention the endless running/horse riding to get to where you want to go.

I am hoping it is less like Oblivion and more like if the Nexus were replaced by a reasonably size overworld map which naturally blends the various geographies of the different areas together. For instance, in Demon Soul's Stonefang Mine is quite close to the Boletarian Palace, it wouldn't have taken too much to connect them together.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Eh, I don't know, there are benefits to an expansive, open world and there are benefits to scripted, semi-linear levels like there are in Demon's Soul's. In open world games there is often a lot of bland, filler space or cookie-cutter caves/buildings/woods in order to artificially increase the size of the world. Not to mention the endless running/horse riding to get to where you want to go.

I am hoping it is less like Oblivion and more like if the Nexus were replaced by a reasonably size overworld map which naturally blends the various geographies of the different areas together. For instance, in Demon Soul's Stonefang Mine is quite close to the Boletarian Palace, it wouldn't have taken too much to connect them together.[/QUOTE]

Ooo, I like your idea better. Indeed, there is a lot of random filler/aimless wandering in the titles I mentioned. Having discreet levels with well planned layouts and scripted events that also happen to link together seamlessly would be truly amazing. I almost wonder if they'd go the Banjo Tooie route, with an overworld to get to the "levels", but have various crisscrossing connections between those individual levels. hmmm.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Eh, I don't know, there are benefits to an expansive, open world and there are benefits to scripted, semi-linear levels like there are in Demon's Soul's. In open world games there is often a lot of bland, filler space or cookie-cutter caves/buildings/woods in order to artificially increase the size of the world. Not to mention the endless running/horse riding to get to where you want to go.

I am hoping it is less like Oblivion and more like if the Nexus were replaced by a reasonably size overworld map which naturally blends the various geographies of the different areas together. For instance, in Demon Soul's Stonefang Mine is quite close to the Boletarian Palace, it wouldn't have taken too much to connect them together.[/QUOTE]

That sounds perfect for this game. I mean yes I love open worlds when I am playing an Elder Scrolls game because it's do what you want, but for this game your idea would be perfect.

[quote name='Snake2715']
That will be interesting if done well... if you can blend in with regular objest when being hunted that would be cool, as long as they look the same and arenot obvious..
[/QUOTE]

I think the 'turning yourself into a vase spell' is going to be useless against invading Dark Phantoms. Any decent PvP player will just smash every group of vases they see.

Just realized that my wish for white "random" phantoms may be a pipe dream as the game doesn't have dedicated servers. I liked the tendency system and it added a lot of strategy... I think they only got rid of it to keep post release costs down (no more events, lack of dedicated servers etc).

[quote name='Supplice']I think the 'turning yourself into a vase spell' is going to be useless against invading Dark Phantoms. Any decent PvP player will just smash every group of vases they see.[/QUOTE]

Or better yet. Remember where the normal vases are...

[quote name='Saint Noir']I think they only got rid of it to keep post release costs down (no more events, lack of dedicated servers etc).[/QUOTE]I think they pretty much said this... and, as a company I can see why From Software would want to get rid of it too. Right now they have 3 different companies running those servers.

As for players... There is a boon to this new set up too... No company will ever be able to tell you when MP for this game is dead.

Not seeing this posted... "You Will Die Interview"

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ignite-11-dark-souls/710266

The longer life of the MP is the one advantage for players. But I am going to get it day 1, it wouldn't much matter to me. Namco Bandai is handling the game worldwide, I believe, so there wouldn't be as big of a "too many companies" issue.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Looks like the same folks who ran the excellent http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/ will be running one for Dark Souls as well.
http://forums.demonssouls.info/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6385
From the language of the poster it almost sounds like they will have early access to the game in order for the basic framework of the wiki to be built so it can go live the same time the game is released.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised. They were in on the European release for Demon's Souls and wrote the strategy guide that was included with the special edition there (I forget the exact name of it).

I missed out on the original Demon's Souls special edition w/the strategy guide. If they have one of those for this, I am getting it.

I just wanted to note that at the last second I bet anything they will change the title to Demon Souls 2 even though this as been said several times by the creaters that this is in fact a different game.

Any release date or pre-order info?

[quote name='phantasyx']I just wanted to note that at the last second I bet anything they will change the title to Demon Souls 2 even though this as been said several times by the creaters that this is in fact a different game.

Any release date or pre-order info?[/QUOTE]
They can't change the name to Demons Souls 2 because that would be misleading. But in terms of the release date; there's nothing known up to this point except that it will come out this year.

Balancing the game is good, but hopefully they didn't just throw a bunch of good work away.
Anyway, I trust their judgement based on DS.

[quote name='phantasyx']I want to be angry at this, but if its like you've got to play a hour in with no save points and you die if you step in the wrong spot...

nope I just cant find the anger.[/QUOTE]
Or how originally, one of the concepts of Demon's Souls, if you died in the game just once your save game would be deleted.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Or how originally, one of the concepts of Demon's Souls, if you died in the game just once your save game would be deleted.[/QUOTE]

What is this, Steel Battalion?

Click source for the full interview. A few highlights is a bit more detail on the difficulty, dual wielding vs sword and shield play styles, character creation/archetypes, and a few other things already mentioned in many articles. Here are two I thought where interesting. +1 for no voice chat.

GS: Do you have more choice in whose game you play if you join in cooperative mode than in Demon's Souls? Is voice chat possible if you team up with a friend?

HM: In terms of ways to cooperate, the number of variations has increased from Demon's Souls. But as a basis, we want to make sure that players use the network to share their experiences. There's no concept of friends, or there's no concept of voice chat. Each player will play their role in the world and there will be a way to contact each other within the game. But the obvious concept of it is not to hold hands with somebody, obviously.

The network feature for this game is designed to enhance the single-player mode. It's designed so that players playing single-player will be able to have that [new game plus] effect when playing the game. And that's something that's original for this game.

There are lots of games out there that allow people to play multiplayer or play with friends or voice chat, but that's not what we're trying to provide the user. I understand people may want multiplayer mode or people may want voice chat. But for this game, because we are trying to achieve an original sort of game standard, we have deliberately not put in any voice chat. And, again, the network system is not to support multiple people at the same time but to enhance the single-player mode.

===
GS: Are there any significant changes, such as being able to ride animals or dabble in alchemy or other crafting activities?

HM: Riding animals. I actually put some thought into it, but I cut it out of the features.

GS: What about downloadable content?

HM: We're at a difficult stage to be able to really explain new features to you. So we can't tell you very much, but I guess in terms of new features, we can tell you the recovery system has changed drastically. It has changed from Demon's Souls, where you have to collect grass to recover yourself, to something a little bit different.

And the interesting aspect about this new feature is--for really hardcore players--the game will probably be a little bit more difficult. And for casual players, the game will be a little bit...not easier, but this feature will be a little more helpful and accessible.
source

Unless they have an uber edition, I'll pass. The lack of voice chat at this point is very frustrating as it's something that could easily be made an option and yet they choose to not implement it. I have ESV to look forward to at least...

[quote name='Supplice']+1 for no voice chat.[/QUOTE]I wonder if voice chat will be stripped out of the 360 version...? (I know developers have an option to keep you out of party chat but I'm not sure if they have the option in a one on one chat. )

I also wonder if that answer sort of means... No Black Souls?

Edit: And yes I know I'm in the PS3 forum... but this is pretty much THE place to talk about this game. (so keep the console war commits to oneself.)

Can't wait for this game!! It's the only game I really even care about this year (unless Diablo 3 makes it out this year). I'm not a huge fan of "open worlds", but I have no doubt they can pull it off after seeing the fantastic level design of Demon's Souls.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']I wonder if voice chat will be stripped out of the 360 version...? (I know developers have an option to keep you out of party chat but I'm not sure if they have the option in a one on one chat. )

I also wonder if that answer sort of means... No Black Souls?

Edit: And yes I know I'm in the PS3 forum... but this is pretty much THE place to talk about this game. (so keep the console war commits to oneself.)[/QUOTE]
There's no way voice chat would be taken out of the 360 version, most definitely game chat but private chat....highly doubtful.
If they decide to add game chat to the 360 version then I would be more inclined to buy it that way.

That's what pisses me off the most though. They should just include voice chat otherwise the 360 users already have an advantage...

[quote name='SynGamer']That's what pisses me off the most though. They should just include voice chat otherwise the 360 users already have an advantage...[/QUOTE]
Not to be negative...but a lot of games that are out for both the PS3 and 360 already at war with the private chat system. So I think Dark Souls will be no different unfortunately:cry:

I'm glad there's no chat, personally. However, if you really need it, then just use a telephone or skype to talk to your friend while you play. I did go through my Demon's Souls NG++ with some help from a fellow CAG (just to make it faster) and we just used skype while we played.

The point is, we shouldn't have to use Skype or something else. Realistically Sony should have had private chat implemented by now...

[quote name='Backlash']I'm glad there's no chat, personally. However, if you really need it, then just use a telephone or skype to talk to your friend while you play. I did go through my Demon's Souls NG++ with some help from a fellow CAG (just to make it faster) and we just used skype while we played.[/QUOTE]
I did that too, but used the phone instead, having no voice chat does make the game that much unique so maybe it's a plus.

It's a game design decision which attempts to shape the relationship between the character, the white phantoms, and the dark phantoms (I assume there are dark phantoms) a certain way. Some people like it and some people are annoyed by it because they want to play it their way. It's just like Dead Rising, some folks like/tolerate the ticking clock and others hate it because it stifles the ability to explore at one's own pace.

[quote name='SynGamer'] Realistically Sony should have had private chat implemented by now...[/QUOTE]

Well, that's definitely true.

[quote name='jh6269']I missed out on the original Demon's Souls special edition w/the strategy guide. If they have one of those for this, I am getting it.[/QUOTE]

I wasnt, one time I was actually thankful for the CAG and making me want a game!

Sad part is I had 2-3 on preorder and then declined to grab them. I just wnated to make sure I got one.. little did I know what they would be worth eventually. I should have kept them.

Nothing much new, besides the estimation of the map size and probable use of Scythes.
=====
If there's one element that stands out from Demon's Souls (apart from its often maddening difficulty), it was its overwhelming sense of claustrophobia. Even the open-air environments felt like they were pressing in from all sides -- usually in the form of enemies looking for your head. It's a natural feeling to have when death is around every corner.

For its spiritual successor, Dark Souls, director Hidetaka Miyazaki and company plan to give players a much larger (and more open) world to explore, but it will doubtlessly be every bit as claustrophobic as before. In this quick email Q&A, he talks about some of his plans for that world, and drops a few hints on what kind of new weapons and online features fans can expect for the sequel.
Click spoiler or source for full interview.

1UP: Probably the biggest change is the introduction of a seamless world. Will players find unique bosses guarding different parts of the map like in Demon's Souls? Are they divided into multiple sections?

Hitaka Miyazaki: To clearly pose a sense of achievement to the players, we will most likely maintain the "one map plus boss" format. However, the game will not completely be structured in this way.

1UP: Just how big do you expect the map to be?

HM: For simplicity of explanation, as compared to Demon's Souls, the map will be approximately 1.5 times the size. It may feel even bigger to the players.

1UP: What sorts of things will players be able to do while exploring the map? Are you planning to include hidden areas and sidequests?

HM: Not so much hidden maps, but there will be areas that are hidden away that are not critical to game completion. In regards to side quests, they won?t be stated as specific quests, but we will implement small events to encourage players to create their own mini objectives.

1UP: Weapons customization has been identified as one element that needs to be made clearer. How do you intend to streamline it?
HM: We do plan to make changes to the weapon customizations, but we unfortunately can not release very many details at this point just yet.

1UP: What kind of weapons are you planning on including in this version? Scythes? Whips?

HM: We unfortunately can not release information regarding specific weapons at this time. Please look forward to more updates to come. However, the "Scythe of the death god" is a favorite motif. Personally I would definitely like to use it for Dark Souls.

1UP: Some of the classes were very powerful in Demon's Souls, such as Royalty. Will there be many new classes in Dark Souls, and what steps will you take to ensure that they're balanced?

HM: We unfortunately can not release very much information regarding classes at this point in time. Please look forward to more details to come. Further, for Dark Souls, we will most likely not call the initial character settings and equipping "classes."

1UP: The Demon's Souls story gave us a glimpse of an interesting world, but never went into much detail. Will that change with Dark Souls?

HM: I wanted to create a game where, ideally, the player's game play would, "become a story in itself." Hence, there is little difference in terms of approach to the concept of a story from Demon?s Souls.

1UP: Will Xbox Live being a subscription-based service have any impact on the online components in Dark Souls?

HM: Hmmm, this is a difficult question, and it is difficult for me to answer. However, we will make sure we create the game to be enjoyable offline as well, and so even if players can not play online, this should not be an issue.

1UP: With the "Soul Tendency" feature being removed, are you planning on creating something new to replace it?

HM: For Dark Souls, we will be implementing several new online features, but there will not be one aimed specifically to replace "Soul Tendency." This game will use a new network system which does not utilize a specific server. We plan to provide a new online experience using this new method.

1UP: Can we expect any enemies as powerful as the Mind Flayers from Demon's Souls? Because those things were terrifying.

HM: Of course!

Source

[quote name='Supplice']Since they do not want dedicated servers, it suggests PvP is going to fall prey to terrible P2P connections. I wouldn't see the point of "invading" if the host is going to have the advantage. Shame too, because I would love to see how raged people would be if they died near the end of a seamless field lol. Anyway, hope for more info on that.[/QUOTE]

Lmao since demons souls has that auto save prohibited from copying id just shut my ps3 when someone invaded me.

On one of the levels probably 4-2 or something one guy kept invading me for like half a afternoon lmao good times:booty:

I brought this at gamestop on US release date Oct 6,2009. First trophy Oct.9,2009 now i have platinum. I brought it just based on a you tube video and getting that dark fantasy vibe sorta like diablo or world of warcraft which I'm a x player of. I went ahead and brought it way before the hype NA had for it and before EU had it. Still have my receipt as proof lol.

I'm a decently skilled gamer though so i didn't find it that hard 152 hours till my platinum , a friend of mine helped me with a few of the weapons and other then that i just exchanged with people what you need. Keep in mind though i started playing on US release day so i didn't even have messages to read we wrote them and bummed out our gear to people. That's really just the time consuming grinding part though. Skill comes from being able to beat Maneater and false king on new game plus and even that with co-op was to easy for me. I want Dark souls to be much harder.

I'm now playing white knight chronicles and i find that harder to adapt to. I do want mic support but at the same time even if it didn't have it i wouldn't take the xbox version when having a choice that be like the same thing with Final fantasy 13 these are RPG kings on playstation don't need shooting triggers like halo and gears of war. If it is that hard with no mic support for PS3 i may just get a ventrilo server to co-op with someone and invest in a good universal gaming headset my WOW headset broke :(

Ill be pre-ordering Dark souls limited edition this time.:bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Supplice']Since they do not want dedicated servers, it suggests PvP is going to fall prey to terrible P2P connections. I wouldn't see the point of "invading" if the host is going to have the advantage. Shame too, because I would love to see how raged people would be if they died near the end of a seamless field lol. Anyway, hope for more info on that.[/QUOTE]

Lmao since demons souls has that auto save prohibited from copying id just just my ps3 when someone invaded me.

On one of the levels probably 4-2 or something one guy kept invading me for like half a afternoon lmao good times:booty:

I brought this at gamestop on US release date Oct 6, first trophy Oct.9 now i have platinum. I brought it just based on a youtube video and getting that dark fantasy vibe sorta like diablo or world of warcraft which I'm a x played of so i went ahead and brought it way before they hype. Still have my receipt as proof lol.

Ill be pre-ordering Dark souls limited edition this time.:bouncy:

[quote name='needler420']I'm a decently skilled gamer though so i didn't find it that hard 152 hours till my platinum , a friend of mine helped me with a few of the weapons and other then that i just exchanged with people what you need. Keep in mind though i started playing on US release day so i didn't even have messages to read we wrote them and bummed out our gear to people. That's really just the time consuming grinding part though. Skill comes from being able to beat Maneater and false king on new game plus and even that with co-op was to easy for me. I want Dark souls to be much harder.[/QUOTE]

Try 'em without co-op. Much, much, much harder.

[quote name='needler420']I brought this at gamestop on US release date Oct 6,2009. First trophy Oct.9,2009 now i have platinum. I brought it just based on a you tube video and getting that dark fantasy vibe sorta like diablo or world of warcraft which I'm a x player of. I went ahead and brought it way before the hype NA had for it and before EU had it. Still have my receipt as proof lol. [/quote]

FYI: There was hype for the US release before the US version even released...

[quote name='phantasyx']Sony should release that cross platform chat by now for PSN+ users[/QUOTE]

Hell, Sony should have released Cross Platform chat for everyone years (s) ago...

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM'] Hell, Sony should have released Cross Platform chat for everyone years (s) ago...[/QUOTE]
You mean cross game chat, the same stuff I see tons of people whine about needing so bad on the PS Blog every time there's a fw update?

The reason they could be holding off on it might be the same reason we don't see custom soundtracks in games, in that MS owns a patent on it.

So it could be the same thing here and Sony doesn't want to give MS more money(like they did with the Immersion lawsuit, where by the time Sony settled MS had bought part of the company and as such some of their money went to MS:lol:).

I know it's off topic, but I think Sony should just integrate Skype (the PSP has it, why not PS3) or Steam (since they're going to have Portal 2 with Steam) for the chat.

Also Cheapest, games do have custom soundtracks on PS3, but the developer has to implement it.

[quote name='jh6269']I know it's off topic, but I think Sony should just integrate Skype (the PSP has it, why not PS3) or Steam (since they're going to have Portal 2 with Steam) for the chat.

Also Cheapest, games do have custom soundtracks on PS3, but the developer has to implement it.[/QUOTE]
Isn't that what I said?:razz: It's left up to the individual developers as to whether or not to include custom soundtracks due to MS' patent.

But now I'm tempted to experiment and load up a cd or two of music to my PS3 and try out GTA IV or Episodes and see if Rockstar implemented it on the PS3.

I know I used to listen to the custom radio station in San Andreas on the Xbox last gen.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Isn't that what I said?:razz: It's left up to the individual developers as to whether or not to include custom soundtracks due to MS' patent.[/QUOTE]

It sounded like you were saying that Sony couldn't allow custom soundtracks because of a patent. If MS had a patent on it, Sony couldn't have it on the PS3 at all w/o paying a license fee. I think the PS3 has the ability, but it's not automatic, so the devs have to code it in the game manually. Personally, I think it's a little dumb to fill up your PS3 HDD with music, so I guess you'd have to have a media server or something set up...

Theres a 3 page writeup of this game in the latest issue of OXM.

They mention checkpoints called 'Beacon Fires'. These are safe places to rest and heal up. It takes rsources to initially light the fire, and white phantoms can add to the strength of the fire from their own worlds, or light yours for you if your not able to.

The strength of the beacon fire determines how much and how fast you heal while near it. I imagine these may take the place of the Archstones from DS and also act as warp points to other areas (but thats my own speculaton).

New screenshots: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26014&id=119869331419453

19281013005898373382111.jpg

[quote name='guardian_owl']So there is day and night in the game.
[/QUOTE]That or that area is always at night... But I would love to see a full day/night cycle.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']That or that area is always at night... But I would love to see a full day/night cycle.[/QUOTE]

They say that all the areas are interconnected, and you can walk to anywhere without going back to a nexus/hub world. This makes me think/hope there is a true day/night cycle.

[quote name='Puffa469']They say that all the areas are interconnected, and you can walk to anywhere without going back to a nexus/hub world. This makes me think/hope there is a true day/night cycle.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree completely... but we've all played games where walking from one location to another triggered a change in the time of day... etc. so it could just be that. I'm hoping its not the case but I don't want to get my hopes up. :)

bread's done
Back