Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

Those new screenshots came from this week's Famitsu. More details too, some obvious from the screenshots.
====

[quote name='Andriasang']

This week's Famitsu has an updated look at Dark Souls, From Software's spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls.

The big point of note in this update is the "bonfire system." During your exploration, when you encounter a bonfire, you can use that as a starting point to explore further. If you die, you'll restart there. You can also recover your HP at the bonfires. The bonfire can also be used to collect a substance called Est which can be placed in jars and carried around.
Other points mentioned in the Famitsu article:

• When you're connected online, you can see the images of other players.
  • There are some enemies who will chase you up ladders. You can kick them down.
  • You can summon an undead cursed knight called Kurogane no Kishi, or Black Iron Night (the official English translation will probably be cooler sounding)
  • Using magic, you can turn yourself into iron form. However, your movement becomes slow.
The magazine also introduces an NPC called "Mysterious Saintly Woman," a variety of enemies like the Dragon Zombie, and a variety of fields like the Giant Library, the Submerged Ruins, and the Marshes. These are all seamlessly connected, as previously announced. [/quote]

Andriasang

The article on this from the Official Playstation magazine have gotten me extremely excited. They claim is going to be harder and better all around.

[quote name='Jodou']I'd just be happy if they retain the FFA PvP system. Maybe add player looting while they're at it.[/QUOTE]

I'd like some record keeping / stat tracking for the PVP aspects of the game.

[quote name='Puffa469']I'd like some record keeping / stat tracking for the PVP aspects of the game.[/QUOTE]
I thought I read that somewhere, let me see if I can find it again.

[quote name='AzzidReign']I thought I read that somewhere, let me see if I can find it again.[/QUOTE]

The only thing viable to PvP that Miyazaki stated is players will have to invade another player to get an item.

[quote name='0192837465']anyone have scans of the playstation official magazine april edition w/ ratchet and clank of dark souls?[/QUOTE]

yeah i'll scan it if anyone else wants it, there is a plethora of new info about the combat and areas and a whole bunch of stuff that is awesome.

Dark Souls is the successor to the PS3 exclusive RPG title Demon’s Souls. Although the creators of this RPG title have been quite secretive–of course, to heighten anticipation to build up sales, but also, we’re sure of more proprietary reasons, some info has been released.

Released in the Japanese media, Dark Souls’ details include: Dark Souls will build on Demon’s Souls’ online play–a semi-passive mode. This semi-passive system involves a pact feature where your character can align itself with differing NPCs and factions. Quite an interesting system to build on and it should be quite intriguing how Dark Souls can build on this unique system. For the online version, the system works like this: if you make a pact with an alliance, it will impact your character’s standings with other players who may have made a pact allying themselves with or opposing your faction or NPC group. Quite an interesting detail since it is passive but it also makes for a more action-packed online experience once pacts are uncovered.

As conceded by producer Hidetaka Miyazaki, there might not be any true “safe zones” in the game due to the cascading nature of the pacts. Is this a glitch or a new “flavor nugget” in the often muddled and indistinguished mush that some RPG games have become? We’ll just have to wait for the next wave of details for Dark Souls.

ding

well I need to go get a rag now to wipe off my monitor. I think after I finish a couple more games in my backlog I am going to go back through the original one last time with my character.

Yeah, it looks exactly like Demon's Souls after seeing it in action now. Would be sick if they added player drops, too. Can't wait to murder people again!

[quote name='OlDirtyBastard']I'll take 3 please...

Any word on when we can preorder the CE?[/QUOTE]
It will be the same price, so treat it as a limited run of first editions. I'm guessing all our existing pre-orders will be upgraded automatically.

Now with more sex:

preorder_collectors_spread.png

It's going to be pretty hard to resist pre-ordering, if a decent + $X credit deal comes along with it on amazon or something I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger to get the CE. Will be the first time since probably the N64 days that I've picked up a game on release day.

Keep in mind the guide is being done by the folks who did the European strategy guide so no idea how different it will be from the Demon's Soul's US collector's edition guide.

I havent bought a launch day title probably since GTA IV. I will definitely be picking this up first day.

That rhino looking monster in the book terrifies and excites me

Differences in EU/US CE versions.

US - Metal case & digital download of OST.
EU - Folded box & physical disc of OST.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jh6269']It sounded like you were saying that Sony couldn't allow custom soundtracks because of a patent. If MS had a patent on it, Sony couldn't have it on the PS3 at all w/o paying a license fee. I think the PS3 has the ability, but it's not automatic, so the devs have to code it in the game manually. Personally, I think it's a little dumb to fill up your PS3 HDD with music, so I guess you'd have to have a media server or something set up...[/QUOTE]

Just to set the record straight, in-game soundtracks have been a PS3 feature since FW 2.40. The only issue is that its an opt-in feature by developers, and not mandatory like trophies.

Back to more important things, considering the excellent quality of Namco Bandai's EU Black Phantom Edition of Demon's Souls. This edition is going to be a must-have.

Oh man that giant raven at the beginning of the video... I need this game. All Ive really played since finishing the last one is LBP MNR and fighting games. Oh and dragon age origins(no demons souls but awesome nontheless)

[quote name='mang9432']looks like amazon.ca has it[/QUOTE]

Ahh, yesterday I don't think it mentioned anything about being a special edition (or I just missed it). But it does now!

I have to say that Namco, Atlus and Sega are becoming my favorite publishers...
Atlus is probably my favorite, followed by the other two (tied for second). So far in 2011, all I'm pre-ordering are Atlus, Namco and Sega games :D

I sure hope this free upgrade to CE with pre-order is becoming a new trend...

bosses look epic. thinking about going dark (no pun intended) on coverage for this game, cause i feel like i've seen too much already.

Once again, Dark Souls also offers a unique multiplayer experience. While primarily a solo experience, players are always "online" and can see ghost images of other players attempting to tackle the same area. Under the right conditions, its possible to enter another player's world and aid them in defeating a certain area. Alternately, players can also invade another world to initiate a player-vs-player contest. In fact, PVP in Dark Souls has expanded to allow up to three invading players, which seems a tad unfair.

Perhaps the most significant addition is the new bonfire system. Dark Souls ditches the various healing herbs of Demon's Souls, replacing them all with a single health flask item. Players can carry a maximum of five flasks and are able to replenish them by visiting bonfires. These fires also serve as checkpoints, awarding players a new respawn point once activated.

Another interesting feature is the ability to strengthen bonfires. Strengthening a bonfire increases a player's maximum health flasks by one for the rest of a play session. More intriguingly, the act of strengthening transfers to other online players. In other words, should another online player choose to strengthen a bonfire, you will gain the health flask benefit as well. Namco has been keen to highlight bonfires as a source of comfort in the otherwise oppressive world of Dark Souls and I'll be the first to say that more health is very comforting.
joystiq

That's going to be kinda tricky if they don't do it right, getting regularly invaded by 3 black phantoms could become grating rather quickly.

Holy shit lol. No more healing herbs with a max capacity of 5 health flasks? That's definitely going to ramp up the difficulty. I used to laugh how easy it was to just fall back and gorge herbs until I was full health. This changes everything. I'm guessing the three invaders thing is to counter people summoning two bluebie scrubs when you invaded before and to encourage not running solo.

Looks like a similar mechanic is going to be used for magic as well, rather than have an MP bar you have a limited amount of magic casts. Also another wrinkle is the enemies seem better at dealing with magic, in the video you can see one of the enemies raise their shield to blunt the damage of a lightning bolt. Also longer cast times for spells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot1uHoH8Vsk

bread's done
Back