Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

[quote name='Jodou'] That wolf with the giant ass sword is fucking awesome.[/QUOTE]

Her name is Amaterasu, and that weapon is a glaive ;)

No sauce, it's just a reference to Okami. The character you play is a white wolf god named Amaterasu, she can use a reflector, beads, or a glaive as her weapon.

Off topic but I'd love for that game to be remade for PS3/360. It'd be even more awesome with the Move/Kinect, I'd imagine.

Dear God that trailer is fantastic. Digging the song too.

Ammy! What have they done to you (Amaterasu was my first thought as well. Here's to hoping you have to fight it later using a reflector and then again using holy beads :D ) And yes, I demand an HD Okami. Preferably new, but an HD port is acceptable. Okamiden is good, but not quite there.

Sorry, I'll stay on topic from now on. I can't wait for this!

[quote name='IRHari']Her name is Amaterasu, and that weapon is a glaive ;)[/QUOTE]
I don't know why, but I just couldn't get into that game. Art style was sweet, but I just got bored pulling carrots or something lol.

[quote name='AzzidReign']I hate that I have to wait 2 months to get this!:hot:[/QUOTE]

I like that I have 2+ months to get this, because I still haven't played through Demon's Souls! I should probably play through my measly collection of PS3 games before I buy another one...

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I like that I have 2+ months to get this, because I still haven't played through Demon's Souls! I should probably play through my measly collection of PS3 games before I buy another one...[/QUOTE]
:lol: You will need more than 2 months to play through Demons Souls.....just a heads up

[quote name='AzzidReign']:lol: You will need more than 2 months to play through Demons Souls.....just a heads up[/QUOTE]

Oh boy! I can already tell that I will be raging eventually, hopefully an Asura's Wrath booth will pop up in the middle of my room when that happens!;)

[quote name='Jodou']My love for From grows by the day. Way to spit in the faces of greedy devs and fight the good fight. These guys have made me a fan for life. In fact, I might just buy a second copy of this to go with my sealed DS CE.[/QUOTE]

I love it! And this is why I respect and support these rare gem developers.

Thanks for that, awesome find. I will probably do the same, buy 2 CE, keep one sealed just for kicks!

Wife was watching that 70's show and what commercial comes on.... Hell yeah.

Still waiting for this game with much more anticipation.

Just read some new (to me, hopefully wasn't posted here before) info from this site: http://www.gamesradar.com/dark-souls-preview-look-size-thing/

It has a bunch of stuff about the size of the world and how the fires work, but I thought this part about the multi-player sounded particularly neat:

Dark Souls also plans to make the unique multiplayer component of its predecessor even more compelling with the introduction of Covenants. You’ll be able to swear allegiance to a particular god, gaining special benefits and befriending other players who worship the same deity. You can only have one allegiance, so if you really want to gain another benefit you’ll have to consider estranging those previously friendly players, since you won’t be able to interact with them any longer. It sounds like Dark Souls will have a more complex approach to multiplayer where it was already built on an unusual premise.

I saw a list of the trophies/achievements. They seem to be mostly the same as Demon's Souls (Get all the unique weapons, get all the spells, fully upgrade a weapon a specific way).

The more Dark Souls information Miyazaki shares, the better this action rpg sounds. Here’s a quick summary of a recently published Famitsu interview with Miyazaki in which the director goes into further details about multiplayer, classes and getting revenge on those who choose to invade your game and kill you in Dark Souls.

~ Multiplayer~
-Your phantom will look different based on what Covenant you have
-The “Dark Wraiths” is a Covenant. With this Covenant, you can invade players to steal their humanity (the most basic form of invasion)
-A player who was killed by an invader can write the invader’s name in the “Book of the Guilty.” Players of a particular Covenant can select a name from this list, invade their world as an “Blue Spirit of Revenge” (shown in one of the earlier screen shots) and kill them.
-The total number of phantoms that can play in the host’s game is 3. This includes helping phantoms and invading phantoms. By default, 2 helping phantoms and 1 invading phantom can be in the host’s game, but based on the situation there can be more invading phantoms.
-You can still acquire humanity offline

~ Undead Form~
-You can revive from Undead Form to Living Form by offering humanity to the bonfire
-During Undead Form:
1) You cannot summon players to help you
2) You cannot kindle the flame to increase the amount of Estus Flasks you carry
3) Your maximum HP stays the same
4) You will look undead

~ Character Creation~
-The Deprived has a higher starting level then the other classes, and thus starts with higher stats
-Game play wise and story wise, there will be no restrictions based on which class you choose
-All starting equipment of each class can be obtained later in the game
-The only gift that does not exist in game is the “Master Key” This gift is the only on that has a significant impact on the game (However, Director Miyazaki recommends that you choose this for your succeeding play throughs rather than your first)
-Miyazaki recommends starting with the “Pendant” or no gift at all
-There are no gender restrictions for wearing certain equipment (guys can wear dresses)

~ Game Play~
-The magic charge system was implemented to broaden the uses of magic
-Like in Demon’s Souls, equipping magic takes up slots, and the amount of magics you can equip is based on how many slots the spell costs, and how many slots your character has
-It is possible to equip duplicate spells on to your character, thereby increasing the maximum charges of that spell
-Weapons of the same class may not share the same swings, therefore you should test every weapon you find

~Forging~
-There are two ways to forge weapons: “Enhancing” and “Transcending”
-Enhancements are your basic “+1″ or “+2″ type of upgrades
-All blacksmiths can enhance weapons. You can also enhance your own weapons at the bonfire
-Transcends change the elements of your weapons
-Only blacksmiths can perform transcends. Each blacksmith can only perform one type of transcend
-About half of the blacksmiths require you to have a “Spark” (the Kanji is “Seed of Fire”) in order for them to transcend your weapon
Src

======
Dark Souls Trophy/Achievement List Revealed
======

I can see my SN being "permanently" in the Book of the Guilty. :lol:

Man, that bounty hunting system has me torn. Do I want to be an invader to PK whoever I want or do I use the revenge system for the thrill of the hunt?

[quote name='IRHari']If we all swear to the same god we'll be able to help each other out, if we're willing to do that.[/QUOTE]

that's just awesome ;)

I could've sworn that I had already pre-ordered but apparently Amazon says otherwise so I remedied that and locked-down one sexy collector's edition with release day delivery.

I think that I'm going to engage in an outward showing of fortitude by growing an obnoxiously manly beard!

[quote name='AzzidReign']Wha?! Who even has the game now?? I would like to know....[/QUOTE]
It's out in Japan tomorrow.

Thank GOD the level cap isn't 712, remember how long that fucking shit took? FOREVER to do legit! ;)

I too would consider it an honor to be shit on by FROM Mods.

I'm still debating whether to pre-order this from Amazon to get the limited edition or just get it from GameFly at launch and "keep it".. I still need to beat Demon's Sould, though.. I heard the servers were shutting down for that game when this launches. Is that true?

[quote name='Jodou']It's official: I want to work for FROM. They're griefing players who're playing the game early by invading their game with a level 99+ character and killing them. Personally, I would feel honored to be killed by a dev. :D[/QUOTE]

That should be like an honor or something in-game. It's funny, although cruel and unfair. So it's just like Demon's Souls.

[quote name='IRHari']Thank GOD the level cap isn't 712, remember how long that fucking shit took? FOREVER to do legit! ;)

I too would consider it an honor to be shit on by FROM Mods.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I JUST found out the cap is 145 or something for this. I rather prefer it this way, since there was nobody to PVP at 712. Hopefully it means you have to plan your skill points too, so that you're not just 99 into everything.

The article did mention they had played 35 hours and were only at level 29. Assuming the leveling up is exponential (typical of RPGs), 145 is still super-high. Also the FROM invaders had all their stats at 99, though they could have just used cheat characters to get that way.

Edit: Also, how were they invading new players' games with characters that were so much higher? One of the things I liked about Demon's Souls was the level-matching system so that you always ended up playing with other people around your level.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lmEqpgg3B4

==
[quote name='Backlash']
Edit: Also, how were they invading new players' games with characters that were so much higher? One of the things I liked about Demon's Souls was the level-matching system so that you always ended up playing with other people around your level.[/QUOTE]

Devs can do whatever the hell they want. :razz:

Got a good chuckle when I read about the devs. invading and slaughtering early players of the game. Kinda makes me want to get it early just to see how quickly I can get my shit wrecked.

I'm still somewhat disappointed that there will be no game chat or party chat for Dark Souls on the 360. Don't you guys think they will lose gamers that way?
*Only referring to 360 owners, PS3 owners are already used to it.

[quote name='AzzidReign']I'm still somewhat disappointed that there will be no game chat or party chat for Dark Souls on the 360. Don't you guys think they will lose gamers that way?
*Only referring to 360 owners, PS3 owners are already used to it.[/QUOTE]

Who cares? Since this is the PS3 thread, why are you posting the question here? Almost everyone getting it for the PS3 will not care one ounce about if the 360 version will lost gamers.

Back to the topic at hand - 9 days and counting. Looking forward to many painful deaths again. :)

Anyone preordering from WalMart?

The DS website shows that WalMart will be getting the CE but it doesn't say anything on the WM website. Plus there's no ship-to-store option. I don't want to pay for shipping >_>

[quote name='DangKid']Anyone preordering from WalMart?

The DS website shows that WalMart will be getting the CE but it doesn't say anything on the WM website. Plus there's no ship-to-store option. I don't want to pay for shipping >_>[/QUOTE]

It's easy then, don't order from them. Amazon has the CE back up and it's $0.99 release day delivery.

[quote name='jmbreci']It's easy then, don't order from them. Amazon has the CE back up and it's $0.99 release day delivery.[/QUOTE]

It would be easy considering that I have Amazon prime, but I have a stack of Wal-Mart gift cards totalling to over $150+ waiting to be spent.

[quote name='Thomas96']damn... I have the urge to buy this but I haven't even finish Demon Souls... smh[/QUOTE]

I'm buying Dark Souls and I never finished Demon's Souls either. Got distracted by something else as usual. Going to be juggling this and Rage so hopefully I can finish at least the main storyline in each before Arkham City comes out. :D

[quote name='AzzidReign']I'm still somewhat disappointed that there will be no game chat or party chat for Dark Souls on the 360. Don't you guys think they will lose gamers that way?
*Only referring to 360 owners, PS3 owners are already used to it.[/QUOTE]

Why did they remove party chat? I'm curious.

bread's done
Back