Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

yeah 3 phantoms invading you at once would suck especially if they are teamed up to do so. ive only encountered 3 phantoms in all the time ive been playing once during my very first unfinished run ( he ended up falling off a cliff) and 2 other times recently both i was able destroy with magic i guess they assumed because my level was low id be an easy mark but homing soul arrow and fireball are damn good spells lol.

OK, WTF is going on here Amazon. . .

Now I'm wondering if I need to cancel my old order since there are two product pages but the old one says it will be upgraded to the CE automatically. So confused. . .

Yeah wth. I haven't preordered yet but I am planning to do so. I would just preorder the new sku from Amazon for the CE, except it says it releases Oct 25 while the regular one (which upgrades to CE automatically, but only for existing pre-orders maybe?) says it releases Oct 4.

[quote name='Backlash']Yeah wth. I haven't preordered yet but I am planning to do so. I would just preorder the new sku from Amazon for the CE, except it says it releases Oct 25 while the regular one (which upgrades to CE automatically, but only for existing pre-orders maybe?) says it releases Oct 4.[/QUOTE]
Even more confusing is the old one has RDD and a more in-depth product description, while the new one just states the promotion listed on the old one.

I went ahead and ordered the new one (the CE). I just want to make sure I get the CE, since supplies will be "limited." Hopefully it releases on Oct 4th.

2u8uik7s.jpg

Enjoy :)

Ha ha, that would be awesome. I can just imagine play-time at my house with my 4 year old:

his friend Sarah: I have Barbie dolls!
my son: I have Yurt the Silent Chief and Garl Vinland. You have died.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jodou']Even more confusing is the old one has RDD and a more in-depth product description, while the new one just states the promotion listed on the old one.[/QUOTE]

i think i'm gonna just leave my original pre-order, as it still says...

No action is required to receive this upgrade on existing pre-orders.

I beat Demons Souls last night! Sorry, had to tell someone as my girlfriend struggled to the grasp the magnitude of my heroic accomplishment. :) The Japanese really comes out in that ending... shades of MGS.

Funny thing is, that I have 3 games in my backlog. All of which I have played an hour or so: ME2, Singularity, LA Noire. And I want to do, is play NG+ on Demons Souls, which is crazy, as I can't even remember the last RPG I enjoyed, or finished; I have tried Oblivion, Fallout 3, Borderlands, etc.

Anyway, really pumped for Dark Souls now. The items on my wish list are:
-keep the non-scalable enemies.
-keep co-op... I think voice would be ok in co-op. I know some think it would ruin it, but I wouldn't mind it, you could always turn it off. But definitely no voice for Invaders, it is already lame enough to get invaded, killed, then get a message saying 'U R teh Sux0rs. Loser.'
-keep combat the same, simple... yet deep.
-allow me to sell shit I don't need.
-i don't want the level-up girl to give me that "You seek soul powa? For thine is the kingdom, the powa and grory, forever and ever..." ever time I want to level up..., not to mention that little spiel after leveling up..
-for all the talk of an open world in Dark Souls, I hope that is something lost in translation. I really don't feel like a GTA style open world. DS was overwhelming enough, I find open world games overwhelming because of all the options available to you at once, I often find they feel like work to me.
-this talk of Dark Souls being even harder worries me. I found the second 75% of Demons Souls to be not that hard, but 1-1 through 4-1 were killer. The early difficulty just made me appreciate my newfound powers that much more though.

As I make this list, I realize that what I really want is just more Demons Souls :)

~S

[quote name='Jodou']Voice would ruin it.[/QUOTE]

No it wouldn't. Make Voice Chat and OPTION in the settings menu and problem solved. No one would force you to use it, and when I play co-op, I happen to like talking to friends while playing with them online. Not to mention the strategy talk would be most awesome :D

[quote name='snowsquirrel']for all the talk of an open world in Dark Souls, I hope that is something lost in translation. I really don't feel like a GTA style open world. DS was overwhelming enough, I find open world games overwhelming because of all the options available to you at once, I often find they feel like work to me.[/QUOTE]

It's not going to be open-world like GTA with tons of side missions and mini-games and crap like that. They just mean no more hub area (i.e. the Nexus) and warping to discrete, separate levels. You travel seamlessly between all areas of the game. At least, that's my understanding.

PS: Congrats on beating DS.

[quote name='Backlash']It's not going to be open-world like GTA with tons of side missions and mini-games and crap like that. They just mean no more hub area (i.e. the Nexus) and warping to discrete, separate levels. You travel seamlessly between all areas of the game. At least, that's my understanding.

PS: Congrats on beating DS.[/QUOTE]

Furthermore, I believe it was quoted that everything you see in the game (building-wise) can be accessed and explored...eventually :D

voice would be fun especially when those asshole black phantoms enter your game to try and kill you only to be killed. nothing better than hearing people whine and go off after dying lol. but it should be a proximity thing.

[quote name='Backlash']I went ahead and ordered the new one (the CE). I just want to make sure I get the CE, since supplies will be "limited." Hopefully it releases on Oct 4th.[/QUOTE]

Got this email from Amazon:

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on June 14 2011 (Order# ). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

"Dark Souls Collector's Edition"
Previous estimated arrival date: October 28 2011
New estimated arrival date: October 07 2011

So that's good.

Canceled my original order too and placed one for the CE. Just sucks b/c the original was $2 cheaper already--not that it's a ton of money, but oh well.

I hope they take out or change World Tendency in the new one. I hate the fact that i cant play Online without screwing up all my hard work

I ordered the first one (non-CE, with note it will be upgraded to CE). I email Amazon to ask what was going on, but I imageine it will be a while before I hear from them.

According to Kotaku, the release date got pushed back a week to Sept 22. I actually thought it was coming out Oct 4th, so it's still a nice surprise for me :)

http://kotaku.com/5828588/this-years-hardest-game-has-been-delayed-briefly

Dark Souls, the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls, was supposed to be out on September 15. It won't be.

Instead, the game will be delayed a week to September 22. From Software, the game's developer, stated that the game is being delayed "due to various circumstances". From Software did not go into greater depth than that.

Edit: Just realized I'll be out of town the 23-25 (that weekend). Crap. :(

Ah, didn't realize that. So could be delayed to Oct 11th here I guess? I was thinking a Thurs release instead of Tues was odd.

[quote name='Backlash']Ah, didn't realize that. So could be delayed to Oct 11th here I guess? I was thinking a Thurs release instead of Tues was odd.[/QUOTE]
Well considering Kotaku was your source, it's not surprising they got it wrong and mislead you. Seriously people, stop going to that shitty site.

Yeah I don't usually read Kotaku; it was linked from a Yahoo News affiliate site. Since you know, no one can actually post original stories anymore.

Man, new gametrailers walkthrough scared me for a bit. Made DS look insanely easy like they scaled down the difficulty. Guy was taking down enemies with one swing and getting hit all the time and not dying. Then he finally mentions in the 3rd part of the walkthrough that the character he's using is way stronger then your character would be when you start. So that cleared my mind that they would be toning down the difficulty.

In one of the videos that i watched today the guy opened the menu screen & all of the character's stats were 50 across the board(so he was beefed up allot).

Canceled my CE. No Steelbook (as original promised) = no thanks. It's multiplatform so I'll pick this up cheap in a few months.

^Pretty much, but that's also why we're CAGs. I still have to play through Demon's Souls, so I can hold off on Dark Souls for now. What's so tempting about pre-ordering though is you get upgraded to the Collector's edition at no extra cost...

[quote name='Droenixjpn']^Pretty much, but that's also why we're CAGs. I still have to play through Demon's Souls, so I can hold off on Dark Souls for now. What's so tempting about pre-ordering though is you get upgraded to the Collector's edition at no extra cost...[/QUOTE]

Which was my initial reaction, but then they gimped it and as someone who collects gaming steelbooks when possible, this was highly disappointing.

Namco Bandai confirms Demon's Souls successor will not receive additional content post release.

Speaking on behalf of Namco Bandai, a PR associate for the company told us that Dark Souls will, in fact, not be receiving any DLC.

Not that it matters, since Dark Souls will still be three to four times bigger than the Demon's Souls world, according to publishing producer Kei Horono.
src

Am I the only one happy for no DLC? I hate DLC. It's usually very short for the price, and I tend to wait for a sale which may or may not happen, if I get it at all.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Am I the only one happy for no DLC? I hate DLC. It's usually very short for the price, and I tend to wait for a sale which may or may not happen, if I get it at all.[/QUOTE]

No, I am also happy about this news. I really despise the idea of DLC in general. I always wait for a disk release for expansions unless of course they are free to download because I like having physical copies.

[quote name='SynGamer']Canceled my CE. No Steelbook (as original promised) = no thanks. It's multiplatform so I'll pick this up cheap in a few months.[/QUOTE]

I didn't cancel mine because I would like to reward a company that gives away good shit for free essentially just for pre-ordering. Most companies give you a digital pair of panties for your character to wear (under your digital pants), or a digital special weapon that does absolutely nothing special. Or their CE's are $20-$30 more than regular edition. An artbook, and guide are pretty good freebies IMHO.

Though if you plan on picking it up at $20, then I guess it is worth a wait...

I agree with the DLC sentiment here. There is lots to do in DS 1/2 without needing DLC... like NG+.

~S

Yep, only a few companies have done DLC right, like Criterion with Burnout Paradise. That they were actually working on the DLC AFTER the game was released instead of producing it before the game is released and then holding it back to nickel and dime the consumer.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Am I the only one happy for no DLC? I hate DLC. It's usually very short for the price, and I tend to wait for a sale which may or may not happen, if I get it at all.[/QUOTE]
What's funny is I never buy DLC, but the ONE time I would have actually liked to see the unused archway have a world added to it, they didn't do any DLC. All the shit games get DLC that I couldn't care less about, but there was a time I craved more Demon's Souls. And honestly, From did it right: they just made another game instead.

Nope, you're definitely not the only one. This is how games should be! Just like the old days. Games now a days are crap-filled with DLC just so that they make a quick buck, which leads to the original content of the game to be shorter and dull.

I 'rarely' ever buy DLC on any games, unless it's something worth getting (usually not worth the money anyway) or it's on a very cheap sale that they have going on. I would rather not support DLC based companies, cough$EA$cough, there are a handful of other companies that are in love with DLC but EA is the worst.

Anyway! I'm super stoked about Dark Souls, I finally platinum Demon Souls after literally months trying to farm a Pure Bladestone, that was the last piece I needed and it finally dropped, ugh!

I am complete and ready for Dark Souls! :D

I actually don't mind DLC when the game seems complete and it's released maybe months after the game is released. It also needs to be priced fairly and not 1/5 or 1/6th of what the game costs, but that also depends on the amount of content you're getting.

I agree. Consider a $50 game, 10 hours in length, and they release a 2 hour campain as DLC. So that is an extra 20% of content. 20% of $50 is $10. But the thing is, that in generally 70% of that DLC would be reused assets and code, not to mention cost of distribution is much lower. 70% off of $10, would be $3. Now people who complete a game and still want more are a much smaller percent than those who buy the game originally, so your DLC audience is smaller, and thus they may want a higher profit margin to make it worth their while. So I would say $3-$5 would be a fair price for an extra 20% on a $50 game. The problem is that it is often $14.99!

~S

bread's done
Back