Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

Fantastic news (if I'm interpretting correctly) from IGN review:
"There's no limit to what you can carry, for instance, so you can hold on to any dagger or bow or interesting spell in case it comes in handy hours later. "

I hate item limits in games, especially RPG's. I'm an RPG item hoarder dammit. Let me carry 300 fucking tower shields!

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Should I play Demon's souls first and wait for a price drop on this? Or just jump right in here?[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend playing Demons Souls first, especially if you already have it, because it's awesome and will likely prepare you for this game.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Fantastic news (if I'm interpretting correctly) from IGN review:
"There's no limit to what you can carry, for instance, so you can hold on to any dagger or bow or interesting spell in case it comes in handy hours later. "

I hate item limits in games, especially RPG's. I'm an RPG item hoarder dammit. Let me carry 300 fucking tower shields![/QUOTE]
Which makes sense since there is no central hub any longer.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Which makes sense since there is no central hub any longer.[/QUOTE]

Ah, hadn't really considered that. No Stockpile Thomas. "You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you."

I'm hearing people are getting e-mails from Newegg saying they can't honor the CE pre-orders...anyone confirm this? I ordered from Newegg when they were selling it for $50...hopefully I'll still be able to snag it.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Ah, hadn't really considered that. No Stockpile Thomas. "You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you."[/QUOTE]
Yep, and now you don't have to worry about picking up an item, not having enough inventory so that it "unboxes" and falls to the floor, you die, and it's gone forever.

[quote name='IRHari']I'm hearing people are getting e-mails from Newegg saying they can't honor the CE pre-orders...anyone confirm this? I ordered from Newegg when they were selling it for $50...hopefully I'll still be able to snag it.[/QUOTE]

Well let the questions begin.. I had it pre ordered in my town, but went back to a local (work) Gamestop today to preorder again and preorder the guide so I could do the $5 savings. He told me I could preorder the guide but the collectors edition sku is off... If I pre ordered again its the regular sku.

So I thought I better get in on the amazon train and just do the combo there, and of course if you look its off there as well.

Thankfully I have a copy preordered, but it looks like this might be the begining of the CE being limited... although a few weeks back my local small town gamestop claimed he had almost 100 preorders of Dark Souls alone at his store... so its probably going to be a major hit.

[quote name='dejeckt']Anyone have images of NA Dark Souls CE?
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t264/Gwok0/darksoulsearly-1.jpg

Does this look like a steelbook?[/QUOTE]

No it doesnt to me... it reminds me of the castlevania CE that recently came out for ps3/xbox.

One last thing is I received a text of the midnight launch of dark souls... I think NBA 2k12 comes out tonight, and maybe some other games so they extended the midnight launch to dark souls, at least in my area...

K I got an e-mail from Newegg, oops they aren't CE, but here's a $20 credit for free.

Ah well, I went to Best Buy B&M and preordered the CE. We'll see what happens.

[quote name='Brainberry']Midnight release?

Theres none here in my area =([/QUOTE]

There wouldn't be a midnight release for Dark Souls in my area, but thanks to me living in a college town and the release of NBA 2K12/Rage I can pick it up.

Apparently only 4 people preordered Dark Souls in my area, so I'm dead set on finding at least 1 other person at the midnight release to talk to.

Anyone get a copy shipped from Gamefly yet? I had no released games in my queue over the weekend and was supposed to ship today but now it's just showing Low availability.

[quote name='Sinistar']Anyone get a copy shipped from Gamefly yet? I had no released games in my queue over the weekend and was supposed to ship today but now it's just showing Low availability.[/QUOTE]

Thats gamefly for you lol

Happens all the time!

[quote name='Brainberry']Thats gamefly for you lol

Happens all the time![/QUOTE]

LOL we'll I got ICO collection that same way last week on launch day. So I thought I'd get lucky with Dark Souls :whistle2:\

[quote name='Sinistar']LOL we'll I got ICO collection that same way last week on launch day. So I thought I'd get lucky with Dark Souls :whistle2:\[/QUOTE]

Dark Souls warrants a purchase anyways, I'd say they did you a favor XD

In the beginning of the game I figured out when you use the first bonfire, everytime you do the weak ass enemies that you faced earlier respawn, so if your patient you could spend some time farming souls although they don't give very many lol.

[quote name='Brainberry']Dark Souls warrants a purchase anyways, I'd say they did you a favor XD[/QUOTE]

LOL I know, I was planning on doing the "keep it" price for a discount. :)

[quote name='blissskr']In the beginning of the game I figured out when you use the first bonfire, everytime you do the weak ass enemies that you faced earlier respawn, so if your patient you could spend some time farming souls although they don't give very many lol.[/QUOTE]
Ya, one of the review said earlier enemies don't give too many souls and by the time you get to enemies with hefty soul counts you should be beyond the need for farm grinding. So looks like no more Shrine of Storm Skeleton/Reaper-esque runs for quick soul level boosting.

Mine should be here in a few short hours! :)

So, what are you guys planning to choose for your starting class? I'm thinking Warrior or Pyromancer right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else having a problem redeeming the CE codes? Mine won't go through no matter how I try to enter it.

[quote name='Backlash']Mine should be here in a few short hours! :)

So, what are you guys planning to choose for your starting class? I'm thinking Warrior or Pyromancer right now.[/QUOTE]

Probably a Sorcerer, Pyromancer, or Bandit.

I started a thief as I remember seeing them saying magic isn't going to be as roflpwn'ing things like the original.

How to win at Dark Souls:

1) Get green Floral rings, the Stone Crown, and an Infinity Stone.
2) Hit the square button with the Stone Crown equipped. Swing around, making sure to change the direction of the character.
3) Switch to the item you want to use without limit and then hit the square button again.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chq6YmLbO-4

I'm definitely not watching that video. Why would I want to cheat? It would ruin the fun of the game.

Anyway, just got the game (from Amazon) a few minutes ago. Can't play right now but I'll definitely be playing later today. Most likely going to start as a Pyromancer.

[quote name='Backlash']I'm definitely not watching that video. Why would I want to cheat? It would ruin the fun of the game.

Anyway, just got the game (from Amazon) a few minutes ago. Can't play right now but I'll definitely be playing later today. Most likely going to start as a Pyromancer.[/QUOTE]
I like these glitches because they're just fun to exploit. To remain competitive, you have to be aware of exploits because your enemy will surely use them too.

Wise decision on starting class FYI. ;)

Started as a Priest for Demon's Souls so I will probably do a Cleric as my starting character this time too. Any word yet if all equipment is unisex or if some gear is only wearable for male / female like in the last game?

Ordered from Best Buy so it looks like I am probably going to get jipped out of the CE (will know when I pick it up after work).

[quote name='guardian_owl']Started as a Priest for Demon's Souls so I will probably do a Cleric as my starting character this time too. Any word yet if all equipment is unisex or if some gear is only wearable for male / female like in the last game?

Ordered from Best Buy so it looks like I am probably going to get jipped out of the CE (will know when I pick it up after work).[/QUOTE]
Gear is unisex, no limitations this time.

You will most assuredly not get your CE, but GL.

Played for about an hour and a half so far. Started as a sorcerer (Started as a magician in Demon's Souls).

My problem with it not having pre-defined levels like Demon's Souls is that I'm a little afraid to go too far in any one direction before wanting to turn around.

I've already gotten my ass kicked many times.

[quote name='Jodou']I like these glitches because they're just fun to exploit. To remain competitive, you have to be aware of exploits because your enemy will surely use them too.

Wise decision on starting class FYI. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm way more interested in / worried about the PvE experience than the PvP experience, at least for my first run-through.

Anyone know how to leave messages? Got my butt kicked a few time, then committed suicide with the Taurus Demon. :). I have a better idea of what to do next time.

I did manage to walk off several cliffs. Those were the only frustrating deaths. The others were all deserved or earned. Started as a pyro, considering a knight for a second character.

Got my CE :) The art book is pretty cool; has some defective glue on the last couple of pages.
I'll be trying to redeem the codes tonight; hope I'll have better luck.

Goddamnit, I ordered at Newegg, no CE. Ordered at BB who royally fucked it up.

Am I screwed out of getting the CE at this point? Gamestop won't sell it to me since I didn't preorder there.

yep, looks like.

Just standard edition available at my Best Buy, they didn't know anything about a Memo for $20 off for them screwing up so now I have to try going back a different day after the info has circulated:headache:

when demons' souls came out i didn't get it. i waited a week and some guy on cl sold it 'like new' with the receipt from gamestop for $30 cuz it was too hard. i bought the c.e. version off amazon and returned the sealed game inside the box for $60 at gamestop with his receipt. c.e. version of demons's souls for $30 one week in. im not hoping for that kind of luck, but hey, ill be on the look out for wimpy players ;)

Anyone know how to get to that corpse that's up that partially broken stairs on the upper level (just before the 1st boss)?

[quote name='jmbreci']Anyone know how to leave messages? Got my butt kicked a few time, then committed suicide with the Taurus Demon. :). I have a better idea of what to do next time.

I did manage to walk off several cliffs. Those were the only frustrating deaths. The others were all deserved or earned. Started as a pyro, considering a knight for a second character.[/QUOTE]

To leave/rate messages you have to buy the Orange Guidance Soapstone from a merchant. There's one in the Undead Burg that has it.

I have a really frustrating/borderline unfair death to speak of...
So I killed the Taurus Demon after a few tries (fun battle and someone left a message with a clue on how to defeat him) then proceed on. The next thing I know I am getting roasted by a dragon as I try to cross a bridge and find myself having to go back through all the tedious regular undead to get back to where I was. I would bet a great majority of players died here the first time through.

[quote name='jh6269']Anyone know how to get to that corpse that's up that partially broken stairs on the upper level (just before the 1st boss)?[/QUOTE]
If I understand, where you're talking about
you'll go back there late in the game with a key.

bread's done
Back