[Dead for years] Ace Combat 6 + Flight Stick (360) Now $100 at Best Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='opportunity777']I think all DLC should be free six months to a year after being releaed on to the market.

Out of all the game companies, Namco Bandai is the biggest offender of overpriced DLC.[/quote]

Free six months to a year after being released? That would so ruin the business model of DLC, which in turn would probably make DLC worthless/unreleased... Most (probably around 75%) would just wait till its free. DLC in most games is fine the way it is, if you want a little more out of the game you pay a little more...

[quote name='TomoyoN']Free six months to a year after being released? That would so ruin the business model of DLC, which in turn would probably make DLC worthless/unreleased... Most (probably around 75%) would just wait till its free. DLC in most games is fine the way it is, if you want a little more out of the game you pay a little more...[/QUOTE]

No it wouldn't ruin the business model. Many of the biggest games come out as a "game of the year" or gold edition 12 months after release anyway and they usually include all the DLC for a price that is at least $10 less than the game cost on release. People still buy DLC and people like me still wait. Making it free to download a year after game release would just make it more likely that I would buy the game closer to full MSRP when it comes out knowing that I can wait on just the DLC rather than postponing my purchase completely for a year.

Meh... DLC as currently implemented is fine. If I want to spend money- grand, otherwise no big deal. I'm smart enough to know that I'm buying just what is on the disk and nothing more. Others need to either wise up to that or just not buy the game.

[quote name='friedram']Meh... DLC as currently implemented is fine. If I want to spend money- grand, otherwise no big deal. I'm smart enough to know that I'm buying just what is on the disk and nothing more. Others need to either wise up to that or just not buy the game.[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty obtuse statement about DLC, but you aren't the only one to make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just a Project Manager who happens to have being a PC & 360 gamer as my primary hobbies. I guess I don't really care about DLC pricing that much- if I want it bad enough, I buy it- if I think it's overpriced, I.E. BRAID, then I know that 100,000 folks out there are already complaining about it- someday I'll either pony up the cash or it will come down in price. My backlog is huge, so meh.

DLC is awesome- next generation is going to be great for the consoles, no media. That's going to be the best- no more switching disks.

[quote name='friedram']I'm just a Project Manager who happens to have being a PC & 360 gamer as my primary hobbies. I guess I don't really care about DLC pricing that much- if I want it bad enough, I buy it- if I think it's overpriced, I.E. BRAID, then I know that 100,000 folks out there are already complaining about it- someday I'll either pony up the cash or it will come down in price. My backlog is huge, so meh.

DLC is awesome- next generation is going to be great for the consoles, no media. That's going to be the best- no more switching disks.[/quote]

I think with the proliferation of Broadband and DLC as a viable business model we will start to see more games being offered in FULL over DLC but I doubt the age of media is gonna end anytime soon in the gaming community... First of all there is still a market out there for collector's edition of games [like 10 games in the last 2 months have collector's editions out] so of course there will be a market for those... Also people like to have a PHYSICAL GAME/CASE in their possession when purchasing items which is one of the reasons why those microtransaction game cards [1600/4000/1month/3month/12month/XBLA Games] are actually selling well when people could just put credit card info on their console and pay relatively the same price [other reason is that they can pay with cash or store credit]. Also PHYSICAL media has RESALE value... That is probably the biggest reason why we won't see DLC taking over the gaming market anytime soon... Gamestop's business is RUN on USED game sales...

A good example of this is PC Games... As most of the market has shown people in general have slid over to the casual gaming side and as such the PC Market is full of casual games, MOST of which are downloadable for free or a small fee similar to that of DLC. Gamestop's predecessors in the past used to sell USED PC Games but now is only selling used console games and most of the Gamestops hardly even have a space for NEW PC Games.

A little off topic but is the PC Market dead? Well for gaming I believe its slowly dying... The aspects that made PC Gaming king of the hill are slowly being eaten away by consoles... PCs at first were the only ones able to do TRUE Multiplayer over phone modems/LANs. PS2 / Xbox / DC slowly took that title away. PCs used to corner the market on the BEST FPS games and multiplayer FPS Scenarios (CounterStrike / UT / etc.) now Consoles are reigning supreme (Halo / Gears of War / CoD4 / Socom). PCs are still big in the CASUAL Gamer aspect just because everyone has access to a PC either at work and/or at home. But the Nintendo Wii is starting to take a big chunk of that customer base with the release of all the family friendly games they are releasing that are actually selling. PCs still have a little fight in them as they still are the heavy hitters in the graphics department [if you can afford the expensive gear] and they are also still the reigning kings in RTS and MMORPGs without a doubt... Many consoles of have tried to get some market share in these categories but I have yet to see one truly work. In my opinion the only way they could actually get a market share good enough is if Microsoft AND/OR Sony struck up a deal with Activision/Blizzard... They control BOTH of these game genres and also have a strong presense already in console games.

Current generation consoles and probably next generation consoles will probably be the same as it is... Disc + Optional DLC... While in the next gen we still start to be INFUSED with TONS of DLC to get us to accept a FULL DLC console in the generation after...

So back on target with the topic.... Has anyone seen a AC6 Bundle in BB yet?

[quote name='bojay1997']No it wouldn't ruin the business model. Many of the biggest games come out as a "game of the year" or gold edition 12 months after release anyway and they usually include all the DLC for a price that is at least $10 less than the game cost on release. People still buy DLC and people like me still wait. Making it free to download a year after game release would just make it more likely that I would buy the game closer to full MSRP when it comes out knowing that I can wait on just the DLC rather than postponing my purchase completely for a year.[/quote]
Here's a better idea. If the game drops its retail price then its DLC should drop too. In other words, when a game costs only $30 new instead of $60, then its DLC should be at least 50% off of its current price. The one company that excels at this implementation is Ubisoft. Most (if not all) of their DLC are available for free after 6 or 9 months release (i.e. Rainbow Six Vegas).

[quote name='TomoyoN']So back on target with the topic.... Has anyone seen a AC6 Bundle in BB yet?[/quote]

No sign of it in today's visit. I don't know where they would put it, as you can't walk 3 feet without tripping over a stack of Guitar Hero/Rock Band merchandise. It's like 3 years ago when Guitar Hero came out, game execs decided to gorge their pipelines on this genre, and it took 3 years but sure enough a full load is coming out the other end now.

Just a heads up, they are starting to show up in BBYs now. They are in two local San Diego stores. For some reason it is still not on the site, so you have to call your local BBY to find out. The SKU number is 8614895 And be sure to pick up your gamers club add-on for the RZ card as this will get you to the $150 level on its own. :bouncy:

[quote name='fuss']Just a heads up, they are starting to show up in BBYs now. They are in two local San Diego stores. For some reason it is still not on the site, so you have to call your local BBY to find out. The SKU number is 8614895 And be sure to pick up your gamers club add-on for the RZ card as this will get you to the $150 level on its own. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I checked my local BB here in Oxford, AL, but nothing yet. I did find Eye of Judgement for 1/2 off, but no Ace Combat 6 bundle :whistle2:( I'll keep an eye out.

I picked up the bundle Monday at a Best Buy in Oregon (the exit off of US 26 near 185th in Hillsboro, Or. I first looked at the new best buy near PDX and one in Beaverton, OR without luck.

I think this is listed in speedy's Best Buy ad for next week for cheaper, but it wasn't out when I purchased it, so it might be worth the wait unless you think it will sell out before then.

[quote name='richdmoore']I picked up the bundle Monday at a Best Buy in Oregon (the exit off of US 26 near 185th in Hillsboro, Or. I first looked at the new best buy near PDX and one in Beaverton, OR without luck.

I think this is listed in speedy's Best Buy ad for next week for cheaper, but it wasn't out when I purchased it, so it might be worth the wait unless you think it will sell out before then.[/QUOTE]

It's on the store locator inventory system now on the website. Give it a couple more days and it should be accurate. I noticed several Los Angeles area stores that have had it a week have it listed as in-stock, but stores that got it in stock in the last couple of days and which I confirmed had it in stock in person don't have it listed.

[quote name='btw1217']It's on the website now, but sold out.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's really sold out. It only went live last night and they never listed it as in stock. I suspect it will be on the site in-stock within the next few days and much more widely available at all of their stores, particularly since it's going to be on sale for $130 in their ad on Sunday.

[quote name='bojay1997']I don't think it's really sold out. It only went live last night and they never listed it as in stock. I suspect it will be on the site in-stock within the next few days and much more widely available at all of their stores, particularly since it's going to be on sale for $130 in their ad on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Otherwise it wouldn't even be worth listing online, lol. I hope Speedy's right about the $130.

I picked one up today for $150. Pretty sweet to finally get this set, I've been a fan of AC since 2, but didn't have a 360 when this originally came out.

Of course I will be keeping mine sealed and waiting to see if the price really drops next week so I can get a price adjustment without any hassle... :cool:

Isn't this $130 in this sunday's ad. May want to check that for refunds those that have bought this.

Just keep your receipt and go in during the sale next week and ask for a price adjustment at customer service. They will just refund you the difference, they won't even ask to see the item (unless the don't know procedures).

Should be in stock just about everywhere at this point. All the local BBs around me (Columbus, OH) had one or two. I just grabbed mine at the 129.99 price point.

Grabbed mine Friday. Pricematched it with no problems just now. Anyone have any advice for mounting the sticks? I don't have a table or anything. I play video games in my my room on my bed.

[quote name='btw1217']Anyone have any advice for mounting the sticks? I don't have a table or anything. I play video games in my my room on my bed.[/quote]

On your bed. I see. Maybe velcro the throttle to your chest? It sounds like you don't even need the stick.

can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about this bundle? its a game that sells for like$30 now and a flight stick right? am i missing something? whats the big fuss?

[quote name='psychobuck']can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about this bundle? its a game that sells for like$30 now and a flight stick right? am i missing something? whats the big fuss?[/QUOTE]

I think part of it is that the original bundle sold out almost immediately and went for significantly more than MSRP on Ebay. I'm planning on getting one tonight because I just think the controller looks cool and I felt bad that I missed out on it the first time around. Having said that, with the economy the way it is and the game dropping to $30, I would not be surprised at all if this bundle drops down to $100 or less within the next few weeks.

[quote name='psychobuck']can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about this bundle? its a game that sells for like$30 now and a flight stick right? am i missing something? whats the big fuss?[/QUOTE]

Well when this was release in OCT 2007. They had made very few bundles and most people bought this because they are long time fans of the series, or some just by it to sell it at a REALLY HIGH PRICE ON EBAY. Because it was a hard to find item.

immore amazed about the fact that they are re-releasing a game that is a year old, why not just comeup with a new one and sell a bundle with that.

[quote name='friedram']DLC is awesome- next generation is going to be great for the consoles, no media. That's going to be the best- no more switching disks.[/quote]

Then Microsoft, Sony, Netflix, Valve, etc. need to be suing the ISPs that are starting this B.S. metered internet service before it takes hold or they won't have their model for many of us. I currently have only one viable choice for broadband and they are going to be implementing a 5GB cap per month.

The bundle also comes with a limited edition ace combat face plate and a dvd movie. I picked mine up last night at the reward zone deal. My best buy only had 2 of them in stock.

Did the price adjust a couple of days ago. Thanks for the heads up.

The Best Buy I bought it at a couple of weeks ago had an endcap full of them (at least 8). They didn't have the sale marked on them however....

I'm looking forward to trying this with hawx, having a story much less weird will be a break from the aweful cutscenes in AC6......

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I wonder if BB is getting a restock on these bundles, or if this is a one shipment deal?[/QUOTE]

It's sold out online... I doubt there's any more heading to the stores.

[quote name='richdmoore']Did the price adjust a couple of days ago. Thanks for the heads up.

The Best Buy I bought it at a couple of weeks ago had an endcap full of them (at least 8). They didn't have the sale marked on them however....

I'm looking forward to trying this with hawx, having a story much less weird will be a break from the aweful cutscenes in AC6......[/QUOTE]

It was on sale ($20 off) last week (11/09 - 11/15) - I got mine 11/08 and was able to get the difference back even though it was sold out at every store near me.

[quote name='FrankieFiero']It's sold out online... I doubt there's any more heading to the stores.

It was on sale ($20 off) last week (11/09 - 11/15) - I got mine 11/08 and was able to get the difference back even though it was sold out at every store near me.[/QUOTE]

It has never been in stock online. It said "sold out" from the very first day it started showing up on the store locator and never changed. Having said that, it is now showing available at every Best Buy store in Southern California as far as I can tell and it looks like the store closest to me in LA just got another shipment as tthey had a nice little stack design going this afternoon consisting of 10 boxes when they only had two on the floor last week. I don't think it will be restocked further beyond this, but I also don't think it's going to sell out for a while given the price and the fact that the game alone now is down to $30 making this controller, faceplate and DVD $120.

Shelf price at my BB says regular price is 129.99, not a sale price. They have at least one in stock, I already have the game so not worth it to me to pick up.

[quote name='Shimmerz']Shelf price at my BB says regular price is 129.99, not a sale price. They have at least one in stock, I already have the game so not worth it to me to pick up.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was a sale. The price on the web site went back up to $150 this morning and I would assume all store prices went back up too. Having said that, I'm sure it will go back down reasonably soon assuming any are left.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']Given the price reduction for the game, $90-$100 would be a better price for this bundle.[/QUOTE]

Well it was originally $150, but after the game dropped $20, they lowered the bundle by $20.

[quote name='btw1217']Well it was originally $150, but after the game dropped $20, they lowered the bundle by $20.[/QUOTE]

That was only for last week's sale. It is back up to $150 now.

[quote name='friedram']DLC is awesome- next generation is going to be great for the consoles, no media. That's going to be the best- no more switching disks.[/QUOTE]

Never going to happen with the way things are going, as more and more ISPs go to capped bandwidth or are starting to test capped bandwidth it will kill DLC for large files and will totally kill DLC for entire games and movies. In 3 years I think we'll see almost every form on Internet access having some limitations.

A few of the ISPs have went to 5GB a month limits with HUGE per MB fees or complete cancelation after reaching the limit. That would not even cover a game on the next gen of consoles.

Now, there is a way around this. If the ISP would ignore certain 'sources' of data and not count that bandwidth against you and if those 'sources' had an agreement where they paid the ISP for the bandwidth of the purchase and that was worked in to the price we paid then I could see a system with no media as an option. That is something I could see happening with music, movies and games in the future - as ISPs go toward limited access having certain sources not count toward that limit as long as the ISP was reimbursed.

[quote name='onapartyrock']Never going to happen with the way things are going, as more and more ISPs go to capped bandwidth or are starting to test capped bandwidth it will kill DLC for large files and will totally kill DLC for entire games and movies. In 3 years I think we'll see almost every form on Internet access having some limitations.

A few of the ISPs have went to 5GB a month limits with HUGE per MB fees or complete cancelation after reaching the limit. That would not even cover a game on the next gen of consoles.

Now, there is a way around this. If the ISP would ignore certain 'sources' of data and not count that bandwidth against you and if those 'sources' had an agreement where they paid the ISP for the bandwidth of the purchase and that was worked in to the price we paid then I could see a system with no media as an option. That is something I could see happening with music, movies and games in the future - as ISP go toward limited access having certain sources not count toward that limit as long as the ISP was reimbursed.[/QUOTE]

Comcast, one of the largest provide in the country has a 250GB cap. Most people are not going to get that much in a month even if they are downloading movies, tv show, music, and games.

Emeryville, CA has a few. Shelf price was 129, but rang up at 150. They adjusted to the lower price for me but fixed the shelf price...sorry.

I also picked one up ($130) during the Reward Zone event.

I was having a tough time justifying the purchase, but now that I have it, I think it's totally awesome. Too expensive, but totally awesome.

[quote name='62t']Comcast, one of the largest provide in the country has a 250GB cap. Most people are not going to get that much in a month even if they are downloading movies, tv show, music, and games.[/quote]

People that download Xbox content are not "most people". If the kids in my family were older many months I would go over this, easily on 100% legal apps. I'm not unique. But 250GB is the highest I've heard and most are 50-150. My ISP's starting point is 5 before they start nickel and diming you for higher tiers. You better hope you have at least 3 viable ISPs in your town (for competition to keep reasonable prices and caps) or a source for unmetered bandwidth (unsecured hot spots?) if you are a big gamer or use a lot of online media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back