[Dead for years] Ace Combat 6 + Flight Stick (360) Now $100 at Best Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my BB has a ton of these so I will be waiting and sitting on this for a while.

Maybe when a good coupon comes out or this price drops more

[quote name='joshnorm']Well my BB has a ton of these so I will be waiting and sitting on this for a while.

Maybe when a good coupon comes out or this price drops more[/QUOTE]

Yea I'm in the same boat. My BB had about 10-12 bundles untouched so I'm going to wait for either another price drop or I get a gift card to there or something.

I just picked one of these up today after thinking about it for a while. Now it sits on top of my RB2 bundle from TRU lol.

I'm tempted to pick this up. I rented this awhile back and maybe got a 1/4 of the way through it. How are you guys setting up the joysticks/putting them on? I have no table or anything in my tv room.

My Best Buy had at least 12 of them two weeks ago. It is now listed as out of stock online. If you can't make up your mind, I would say get one while you still can.

[quote name='Indyjones']I'm tempted to pick this up. I rented this awhile back and maybe got a 1/4 of the way through it. How are you guys setting up the joysticks/putting them on? I have no table or anything in my tv room.[/QUOTE]

My friend set his up by getting a piece of plexiglas about 2x2 feet and stuck the controller down on it with the suction cups that are attached. It actually works pretty well.

I don't see how this game would benefit from a flight stick though, it's completely arcadey. I would think the flight stick would just make it harder to play if anything.

The game by itself is selling new for $30 in stores, I would just do that.

[quote name='Aleman']I don't see how this game would benefit from a flight stick though, it's completely arcadey. I would think the flight stick would just make it harder to play if anything.

The game by itself is selling new for $30 in stores, I would just do that.[/quote]

I think the arcade stick/bundle is for the rare factor more than anything else. My buddy loves these kinds of games so he and I will be playing this online and fucking up the entire time lol.

Still in stock at my local stores, but I think I'm happy I got in at the 100 price. Sucks that their returns are down to 30 days though. It'll make me think whether or not to return it if I decide to gamble and wait for another price drop.

Still more than a half dozen on the floor at my local store. I suspect it helps that they still have the $149.99 price labels.

Guys,
Thisis currently on sale at FRYS Electronics (B&M) for 49.99; check your local newspaper. This IS the bundle, with the joystick. PM @ Best Buy for maximum value, and as usual YMMV!

Happy Shopping,and Happy Holidays :)

[quote name='bigriggy63']Guys,
Thisis currently on sale at FRYS Electronics (B&M) for 49.99; check your local newspaper. This IS the bundle, with the joystick. PM @ Best Buy for maximum value, and as usual YMMV!

Happy Shopping,and Happy Holidays :)[/quote]

I think you are referring to the bundle with the Madcatz one, not the original Namco bundle in stock at only some BB.

http://shop2.frys.com/product/58002...RSbGR5zew**.node1?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

[quote name='Monroeski']The Fry's thread says it's a Saitek stick, not Madcatz, but what you say is basically true: it's not the same bundle.[/quote]

Mad Catz owns Saitek now. I know, but what can you do.

[quote name='gantt']Madcatz owns Saitek now. I know, but what can you do.[/quote]

Ouch. Saitek used to be associated with high quality and Madcatz with crappy quality :roll:

[quote name='SniperREX']Ouch. Saitek used to be associated with high quality and Madcatz with crappy quality :roll:[/quote]

Wait, isn't Madcatz releasing the highly anticipated Street Fighter IV Arcade stick.....SO that should give them some credit now

[quote name='carpwrist']You're this guy aren't you?
benhaar.jpg
[/quote]

Next time put this picture under a spoiler...you know, so I don't throw up...

[quote name='NDPsycho']Are there any other games that work well with this stick/throttle?[/quote]

Someone mentioned above that it will work with H.A.W.X. It seems to have been a long time since the developer said it would, though, and the game's been delayed to "Q1", so I'm not counting on it: you never know what features have/will be cut before ship.

The Mad Catz/Saitek stick claims on the box it is "compatible with H.A.W.X.", though, so it'll be embarrassing if they cut that.

[quote name='joshnorm']Wait, isn't Madcatz releasing the highly anticipated Street Fighter IV Arcade stick.....SO that should give them some credit now[/quote]

I don't know. I read that the cheapo Madcatz stick bundled with a couple of Live Arcade was really crappy :whistle2:#.
The only respected brand I'm aware of in arcade sticks is Hori.

Returned/Rebought the bundle I bought in November [old price was $129.99] and got the difference back. CSR wasn't too knowledgeable and said that she couldn't do it because the "PRICE MATCH" policy was only for 14 days. Since the return policy on Holiday items is like till January I asked her to return/rebuy it and she had this puzzled look on her face. So I asked her to ring one up [$99.99] and return the original one [$129.99] and just give me back the difference. Still she didn't know what I was talking about so I had to physically go to the video game section and carry the bundle back to her so she could ring it up and return the old one. Oh well still got my $30 + tax back and still have till mid-January to return it or get another price reduction if they do lower the price... THX OP...

[quote name='TomoyoN']Returned/Rebought the bundle I bought in November [old price was $129.99] and got the difference back. CSR wasn't too knowledgeable and said that she couldn't do it because the "PRICE MATCH" policy was only for 14 days. Since the return policy on Holiday items is like till January I asked her to return/rebuy it and she had this puzzled look on her face. So I asked her to ring one up [$99.99] and return the original one [$129.99] and just give me back the difference. Still she didn't know what I was talking about so I had to physically go to the video game section and carry the bundle back to her so she could ring it up and return the old one. Oh well still got my $30 + tax back and still have till mid-January to return it or get another price reduction if they do lower the price... THX OP...[/quote]

I'm was in a simular situation, and figured I would have a problem like what you said. So, I just purchased the $99 version and returned the $130 one. It will be interesting if there is another price drop, many locations around Atlanta are sold out.

Can someone please comment on the dead zone of this controller. I tried the saitek one from Fry's mentioned earlier in this thread and it mad the game almost unplayable. I also saw a video review on youtube for this one and it showed a huge deadzone. I've had this thing in my hands twice in the last 2 weeks and put it back because I'm scared. Thanks

[quote name='pvtpyle']Can someone please comment on the dead zone of this controller. I tried the saitek one from Fry's mentioned earlier in this thread and it mad the game almost unplayable. I also saw a video review on youtube for this one and it showed a huge deadzone. I've had this thing in my hands twice in the last 2 weeks and put it back because I'm scared. Thanks[/QUOTE]

It can be a pain, but the boot will loosen over time around the stick a little bit. I was just looking around the Ubisoft forum, and came across this post:

Here's an excerpt from an IGN article concerning the use of flightsticks in HAWK.
In case you didn't know the CEO of Ubisoft is a guy by the name of Guillemot, he and his four brothers are also the owners of Thrustmaster (www.guillemot.com), ...so, quess what?

^^^^ Thanks for the response. My only fear is that this "run" of additional flight sticks will disappear and I will no longer have the option when HAWX comes out and the HAWX stick will be over-priced. Thanks again for the comments and information though. I think I will try and wait it out.

[quote name='pvtpyle']I tried the saitek one from Fry's mentioned earlier in this thread and it mad the game almost unplayable.[/quote]

Can you give details about how the Saitek Aviator made AC6 almost unplayable?

As far as H.A.W.X. goes, the Saitek Aviator has the H.A.W.X. logo on the box, as well as a quote from the Brand Manager for H.A.W.X.: "...accuracy and control that gamepad users can only dream of." The quote is also in the press release from Mad Catz, which interestingly just came out a couple of days ago, although the stick has been available at Fry's for a month.

It will be interesting if Ubisoft comes out with another stick, since they seem to be endorsing the Saitek.

[quote name='gantt']Can you give details about how the Saitek Aviator made AC6 almost unplayable?

As far as H.A.W.X. goes, the Saitek Aviator has the H.A.W.X. logo on the box, as well as a quote from the Brand Manager for H.A.W.X.: "...accuracy and control that gamepad users can only dream of." The quote is also in the press release from Mad Catz, which interestingly just came out a couple of days ago, although the stick has been available at Fry's for a month.

It will be interesting if Ubisoft comes out with another stick, since they seem to be endorsing the Saitek.[/quote]

The dead zone was really bad, so it was difficult to do small adjustments, I actually had trouble with the tutorial section where you have to fly through the rings. It seemed like it was all or nothing. You had to move the joystick all the way to one side or the other to trigger any movement (no fine adjustments). I can't imagine getting further into the game and trying to line up some of the ground or air attacks. I really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't fun for me.

[quote name='pvtpyle']The dead zone was really bad, so it was difficult to do small adjustments, I actually had trouble with the tutorial section where you have to fly through the rings. It seemed like it was all or nothing. You had to move the joystick all the way to one side or the other to trigger any movement (no fine adjustments). I can't imagine getting further into the game and trying to line up some of the ground or air attacks. I really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't fun for me.[/QUOTE]

Another reason that I think we'll actually see a widely available flight stick is that IL 2 is coming to the 360 as well. IL 2 has practically been the only "good" flight sim for years on the PC.. although I like the Shockwave expansions for Microsoft Flight Sim/Combat Flight Sim. Then, if another Crimson Skies gets made as well.. there's a market for it, you know? Too bad you can't just plug a PC flight control system into the 360's USB port.. you could do some homebrew engineering to make it work, but it's too much of a pain. I'd say that in using many flight sticks through the years, the Ace Combat one has probably one of the worst dead zones. It's basically a modified Saitek X45 for the PC, but that controller had a more forgiving dead zone and softer rubber boot (however, you can calibrate the thing.. that being the difference).

Just look at the Thrustmaster stuff, they rarely disappoint. I own these two:
http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231514077&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...dp_ob_title_ce?ie=UTF8&qid=1231514077&sr=1-13

This is DEAD. Not even listed at Best Buy.com.

I bought 2 hoping to help pay for one by Ebaying the extra (which I don't normally do, its been years since I've sold on Ebay). Only way I could get this by the wife after the game haul at Christmas. Basically got screwed in the auction even though I offered free shipping. A day or two before mine somebody sold one for $160 + like $30 shipping, but I've also seen them go for $120ish + ship. So now I get to sell the 2nd one. I'm wondering if Ebay is even worth it, I may just return it to Best Buy. If somebody is interested here, let me know.

Maybe demand will pick up when HAWX comes out.

[quote name='eau']I think these bundles are still available at most BB stores.[/quote]

Was at my local BB and saw 12 of these on the shelves... I guess my area isn't filled with flight sim/fighter fans...

I'm thinking about sticking with the Saitek Aviator and returning the Ace Edge bundle.

At $32 for the Aviator vs. $90 for the Ace Edge sticks, cost is definitely on the Aviator's side.

It's true the Aviator has a significant deadzone, but after a few missions I'm used to it. Also, a review I watched on Youtube says the Ace Edge also has a significant deadzone as well as cheap-feeling A/B/X/Y buttons.

The Aviator's integrated throttle control means I can sit back on the couch with the flight stick in my lap, rather than have to sit forward so I can control two sticks stuck to a tabletop.

Is the game in the bundle the original cover version or the PH version?

Saw the PH game only version on the shelf for $30 at BB. Ugly as hell.

[quote name='eau']Is the game in the bundle the original cover version or the PH version?

Saw the PH game only version on the shelf for $30 at BB. Ugly as hell.[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain it's the original cover as the bundle only included the origianl cover game at the time. Then again, I haven't had time to open mine yet so for all I know there could be phone books inside lol.

those of you waiting for price drops better jump on this one, i got the last one from the BB in bowie MD, seems to me like they are slowly but surely disappearing. i had one already but my sticks had seen better days so i bought the last one from BB and put the other one on ebay and sold for $122 shipped, i wasnt looking for any profit, just to recoup my costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back