Dead Nation - PSN - $14.99 - Platinum Trophy! - Road of Devastation out 9/27 for $4

I just got this and played the first level single-player so far. Seems pretty awesome. What are you guys spending your money on? Seems like upgrading the basic rifle all the way is a good way to go at first?

[quote name='Backlash']I just got this and played the first level single-player so far. Seems pretty awesome. What are you guys spending your money on? Seems like upgrading the basic rifle all the way is a good way to go at first?[/QUOTE]

Since you have infinite ammo for your rifle, its pretty powerful and its pretty cheap to upgrade it makes it the obvious first choice. After that I went shotgun and was happy for it. The shotgun is not as good as you would think at taking out large groups of enemies, however it takes the special zombies down fast. It really does do massive amounts of damage. After that I would get only one of the guns that are meant to take a group of zombies down, I say this because I found that I would need a specific weapon in a pinch like my shotgun and I would have to shuffle through 3 other weapons to get to it! So get the shotgun, get 1 group control gun and get the grenade launcher eventually. This is just whats useful based on my experience with the game. At most I would do SMG, Shotgun, either flamethrower or the electric/lighting gun and finally the rocket/grenade launcher.

Anyone want to play online with me? :p

PSN: Legendary-Hawk-

I only beat The Beginning lol :p But I got close to finishing Downtown until the other person disconnected >_>

[quote name='scarhawk']Anyone want to play online with me? :p

PSN: Legendary-Hawk-

I only beat The Beginning lol :p But I got close to finishing Downtown until the other person disconnected >_>[/QUOTE]

Like I have said to everyone else I am happy to play with anyone. Add me, MSIMagus

[quote name='dejeckt']Just got done playing single, gotta try co-op soon. A lot of the middle levels were kinda boring (imo), towards the last 3 levels things started to pick up. The game wasn't too hard, but I only played it on normal. Things I learned is that the electric zapping gun and mines seems almost useless, and flares + explosives/shotguns works usually well.

Hope they release an add-on for some type of endless mode.[/QUOTE]
Mines are great when you know hoards are going to be coming at you (around activation points or when there's a hoard of zombies on the other side of a gate), as they can pack multiple explosions to last for a lot longer than a grenade with some upgrades.

[quote name='dufftech']Great game! I just got the platinum for it. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I have been working on my trophies and am getting frustrated with the trophy you get for beating a stage without getting hit. I swear I have accomplished this like 10 different times on the first stage yet it still has not unlocked for me...

[quote name='MSI Magus']I have been working on my trophies and am getting frustrated with the trophy you get for beating a stage without getting hit. I swear I have accomplished this like 10 different times on the first stage yet it still has not unlocked for me...[/QUOTE]

I got that trophy by doing the first stage via mission select after completing campaign mode. Your save game may have glitched. Might need to try a different stage or delete the save game and try again.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I have been working on my trophies and am getting frustrated with the trophy you get for beating a stage without getting hit. I swear I have accomplished this like 10 different times on the first stage yet it still has not unlocked for me...[/QUOTE]
Sometimes the red zombies hide. I kept getting hit on the first level by one of those. The 4th time I played it, I just killed enough zombies to get to the next checkpoint. Dont hang around to kill them all, you can move from checkpoint to checkpoint until the end where you have to kill every zombie to get the final gate open. I also played on the easy setting to get it over with.

I finally finished my first playthrough on normal. Cant wait to get back to it on Morbid and finally one level on Undead. I can only imagine what that will be like! Still looking to coop with someone for the coop trophy. I would like to just play that on the easiest setting though to get through it the quickest.

[quote name='wrencrest']Sometimes the red zombies hide. I kept getting hit on the first level by one of those. The 4th time I played it, I just killed enough zombies to get to the next checkpoint. Dont hang around to kill them all, you can move from checkpoint to checkpoint until the end where you have to kill every zombie to get the final gate open. I also played on the easy setting to get it over with.

I finally finished my first playthrough on normal. Cant wait to get back to it on Morbid and finally one level on Undead. I can only imagine what that will be like! Still looking to coop with someone for the coop trophy. I would like to just play that on the easiest setting though to get through it the quickest.[/QUOTE]

Thing is I have not seen myself get hit and when I walk over health packs its not picking them up which would suggest I am at 100% health!

you guys are using default controls? I feel like they kinda suck.
Here's my button config.

change weapons and items are now the face button (x triangle o square) because I can filter through my guns while I run away. Really awkward when I run and press the directional pad.

My melee button is L1 and R2 is the item use. R2 being the grenade reminded me of COD so that worked and L1 as melee seems to be better for me.

Something about the default controls I feel like really make me fumble sometimes. Anyone else use custom controls?

I changed the dpad to the face buttons based on an earlier suggestion. This made it much easier to run and gun. But I did not feel the need to change anything else.

[quote name='wrencrest']I changed the dpad to the face buttons based on an earlier suggestion. This made it much easier to run and gun. But I did not feel the need to change anything else.[/QUOTE]

FTW I never considered this, it is really hard to switch out stuff w/ the d-Pad and how your hand is placed..gonna try this tonight and hope I don't DIE!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='token2k6']FTW I never considered this, it is really hard to switch out stuff w/ the d-Pad and how you're hand is placed..gonna try this tonight and hope I don't DIE!![/QUOTE]

It makes a huge difference! First thing I did was change my control scheme so the shoulder buttons let me switch my weapons.

Just bought this right now. Hopefully the co-op stuff can just be done locally with a friend. Do you HAVE to go online to get a Plat?

[quote name='GTmaster39']Just bought this right now. Hopefully the co-op stuff can just be done locally with a friend. Do you HAVE to go online to get a Plat?[/QUOTE]

you can do all the co-op trophies in couch co-op. but you do have to be online for 1 trophy, which is after every level you upload how many zombies you killed to add to your country's total.

Anyone in the US that has this game should pop on tonight and play a bit. The US and Finland are in a race to be the first to hit 100%. US is at 98 and Finland at 96.5% however currently Finland is cruising at a lot faster rate then the US which is hardly moving. I am not a rah rah America type of guy, but I have been playing this game and would like to see my "team" finish first(or finish the Finish AHAHA!)

I plan on being on tonight to try and get through some of morbid difficulty. I also still need to do co op eventually. It seems the way they calculate % varies based on size of the country. We (in the US) have a disadvantage being so big.

[quote name='wrencrest']I plan on being on tonight to try and get through some of morbid difficulty. I also still need to do co op eventually. It seems the way they calculate % varies based on size of the country. We (in the US) have a disadvantage being so big.[/QUOTE]

/nod it does make a difference the size of the country. I will be on playing tonight too if you want to try and make a morbid run. I should be on in around an hour to an hour and a half and then be on for an hour or two at least.

I am fairly certain the US will hit it first. The fins have slowed down dramatically while we are slowly speeding up. It makes sense though with time zones and what not, when I saw it earlier it was probably around 6 there which is a good time to play, while now its getting in to late night where people there have to go to sleep and people here get home from work ;)

just beat morbid solo. wasnt as bad as i thought it was gonna be. now i just gotta kill more zombies, beat co-op and blow up more cars for the platty.

[quote name='MSI Magus']/nod it does make a difference the size of the country. I will be on playing tonight too if you want to try and make a morbid run. I should be on in around an hour to an hour and a half and then be on for an hour or two at least.

I am fairly certain the US will hit it first. The fins have slowed down dramatically while we are slowly speeding up. It makes sense though with time zones and what not, when I saw it earlier it was probably around 6 there which is a good time to play, while now its getting in to late night where people there have to go to sleep and people here get home from work ;)[/QUOTE]
As soon as the wife and kid go to sleep I will be getting on. Probably after 9pm ET. Just realized though that I am still on Grim. So not sure you want to go backwards or want to try it on the easiest setting so we can fly through the co op. Then we can work on the other playthroughs at our own pace. i.e my slow pace.

[quote name='wrencrest']As soon as the wife and kid go to sleep I will be getting on. Probably after 9pm ET. Just realized though that I am still on Grim. So not sure you want to go backwards or want to try it on the easiest setting so we can fly through the co op. Then we can work on the other playthroughs at our own pace. i.e my slow pace.[/QUOTE]

My wife kind of took over the PS3 and since she is sick I am not about to kick her off :( How late you on tonight? After she goes to bed I may be able to stay up for a bit and do a quick brain dead run through.

Edit - Is the game equally difficult on co op or does the difficulty ramp up to match the number of players? Meaning if you play on morbid for instance with 1 player and an enemy would hit you for 10% of your health do they all of a sudden hit you for more then 10% on co op? Just wondering if playing co op makes things easier or not....mainly because so far morbid is freaking difficult(think its morbid I am on, its the second hardest difficulty).

[quote name='mr_burnzz']you guys are using default controls? I feel like they kinda suck.
Here's my button config.

change weapons and items are now the face button (x triangle o square) because I can filter through my guns while I run away. Really awkward when I run and press the directional pad.
[/QUOTE]

Why did I not think of doing this?! I will definitely try this out the next time I play, as it is awkward to change weapons with the d-pad when hordes of zombies are chasing after me!

I'm playing on Brain Dead mode, haha, I find that hard enough!

Oh, and UK has moved from 8th to 11th on the leaderboards :(

[quote name='8bitArtist']it ramps up a bunch on co-op. co-op morbid is BRUTAL. just solo it.[/QUOTE]

Sucks to hear. I started morbid tonight and quit after realizing that fat zombies could take a charged rifle shot even after maxing your rifles power. I bet I can beat it...but I dont know if I want to spend the time doing so given how tedious and not fun it seems.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Sucks to hear. I started morbid tonight and quit after realizing that fat zombies could take a charged rifle shot even after maxing your rifles power. I bet I can beat it...but I dont know if I want to spend the time doing so given how tedious and not fun it seems.[/QUOTE]

its like a charged up shot and 1 regular. although i know for sure i killed fat zombies with 1 charged shot on morbid before. its the army fuckers you gotta worry about... until you get the shocker that is.

The US beat finland ;)

As for difficulty and fat zombies....yeah I know. I played a bit more last night to try and help push the US over the 100% line and while playing I noticed that some of the fat zombies died from a charged shot, some did not. I really do not get why and its incredibly frustrating. It also seems a bit ridiculous that a fat zombie will knock off like 60% of your health in all of a second and that they survive cars blowing up now! I maybe could have understood on undead mode, but for morbid it seems a bit much.

Also, is it my imagination or are the zombies running faster? I do not recall them moving nearly as fast on the easier settings. Kind of interesting if they really did make the zombies faster, not to many games bother making enemies move faster to add challenge ;)

So I've just completed the game on Brain Dead! Happy days...not looking forward to trying the 'normal' difficulty!

Question:

Do weapons, armour and upgrades carry over when you play through the game again, or do you have to collect it all over again?

i think zombies move faster on the harder difficulties. those fat guys can really mess you up. you cannot shot them with the rifle unless its a powered up shot. your accessories like flare, grenade and especially mines are the most valuable assets.

crinkled: the only thing that carries over between play throughs is your armor. so its best to get all the armor your braindead play through so you can use it for your harder play throughs. everything else however resets.

[quote name='Crinkled']So I've just completed the game on Brain Dead! Happy days...not looking forward to trying the 'normal' difficulty!

Question:

Do weapons, armour and upgrades carry over when you play through the game again, or do you have to collect it all over again?[/QUOTE]

Your armor carries over your weapon and their upgrades do not. Kind of stinks too since the Armor really does not seem extremely useful in this game. As for difficulty, I found Brain Dead to be really easy. I think I only died twice the whole game on brain dead and when I moved up the the third difficult(cant recall what it is but it is the one after normal)I found there to be a little challenge but really nothing that bad outside the last section of graveyard and the last section of the last stage. Morbid however is tough! I am playing through it right now and just finished graveyard and it certainly changes the way you play the game! If you want to survive you will take it slow and adopt not just general game play strategies but even strategies on how to take out different enemies!

[quote name='8bitArtist']crinkled: the only thing that carries over between play throughs is your armor. so its best to get all the armor your braindead play through so you can use it for your harder play throughs. everything else however resets.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MSI Magus']Your armor carries over your weapon and their upgrades do not. Kind of stinks too since the Armor really does not seem extremely useful in this game. As for difficulty, I found Brain Dead to be really easy. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick replies guys! That's a pain about all the weapons :/ But I guess it makes sense.

Magus, I found the first few levels hard on Brain Dead! But once I got used to the controls and realised to start using items more often (duh!) I found it easier. But still hard at times!

Did you guys ever use Dynamite etc much? I only ever used grenades, and sometimes flares but not very much. Any tips on when and where things should be used?

[quote name='Crinkled']Thanks for the quick replies guys! That's a pain about all the weapons :/ But I guess it makes sense.

Magus, I found the first few levels hard on Brain Dead! But once I got used to the controls and realised to start using items more often (duh!) I found it easier. But still hard at times!

Did you guys ever use Dynamite etc much? I only ever used grenades, and sometimes flares but not very much. Any tips on when and where things should be used?[/QUOTE]

First off flares are your best friend. Upgrade your rifle and get the shotgun and upgrade it enough to take out boss zombies then focus hardcore on those flares. The flares are dirt cheap to buy and when the duration is upgraded they give you a good 10-30 seconds to slaughter zombies, not take damage and just get your wits about you. Also 90% of the enemies in the game are distracted by flares to the point where they will not attack you even if you are standing next to them if the flare is in the immediate area. This means you do not need to waste ammo or grenades taking out the distracted zombie, instead you can actually toss a flare then stand right on top of it and melle to take out any zombie that comes near. The only three zombies that I can think of that will still attack when you have a flare out are the big guys with scythes for hands, the big zombies that jump and the screaming zombies.

Speaking of the screaming zombies they are another big tip. In braindead mode they really are not that bad, but in the harder modes they are a MAJOR pain in the ass and need to be taken out instantly. If you see one by itself then stand back and blast away with your rifle slowly moving forward and taking him out before triggering a hoarde. If there are a few stragglers near him then switch to your shotgun and even if it means taking a hit or two take him out before he starts screaming. Finally if you see a large group near him then toss a flare or grenade and while the other zombies are distracted switch to your shotgun and take him out!

Another tip is to upgrade mines. Usually I do my rifle, then a bit back and forth between flare and shotgun, then finish off flare, finish off grenade and start focusing on mines. Mines are a life saver because first off if you can finish the enemies off before they hit the mine then you did not waste your mine(you can backtrack a different horde to it). Second off they are godsends because they trigger multiple times. Learn the layout of stages as you play and if you know you are going to be flooded with zombies then toss down one of your mines, trigger the horde and then dash behind your land mine. You can stand back picking off zombies with your rifle and if they get too close the mine will take care of them.

Thats 90% of my play style right there. My rifle is my main weapon, switch to powered up shotgun for boss zombies and use flare/grenade/mine if things are getting out of hand. After all the rest of that is maxed out I grab the electric gun, launcher and blade cannon(but only when I know I have the money saved to fully upgrade them). I wait till I have the money for upgrades and I skip the flamethower/SMG because I dont want to shuffle through too many guns/weak guns. Nothing sucks more then scrambling to find your shotgun when you need it.

Edit - Just wanted to add yes I do use Dynamite and Molotovs as well its just a lot more rare and only on higher difficulties. Those two are more like my back ups. Molotovs are used whenever I have ran out of all my good items and Dynamite is used for when I am hit with HUGE groups of zombies combined with either the sciccor hand guys or the screamers.

Thanks very much, I'll take that all in to account! Do you know what? I never even knew that those zombies created hordes (I did wonder where they all kept coming from near the end of the graveyard level!) and I didn't know that zombies won't attack you if they're distracted by flares, either. I've already made it to the fourth level on normal mode really quickly using your tips. Cheers!

[quote name='Crinkled']Thanks very much, I'll take that all in to account! Do you know what? I never even knew that those zombies created hordes (I did wonder where they all kept coming from near the end of the graveyard level!) and I didn't know that zombies won't attack you if they're distracted by flares, either. I've already made it to the fourth level on normal mode really quickly using your tips. Cheers![/QUOTE]

Heh yeah, my first game I thought flares were pretty crappy...then I kicked it up to the hardest difficulty accessible at the start of the game and had no choice but to learn fast that flares rock.

smg and moltovs are useless. flamethrower will slow down zombies. good when youre getting rushed. also, setting fire to the screamers will shut them up giving you time to kill them.

also, CHANGE THE CONTROLS. switching weapons with the dpad is awkward. switch them to the shape buttons instead. this way you can run and still switch weapons accordingly

[quote name='JMEPO']*Turns up TV brightness*[/QUOTE]

I did not understand why the darkness bugged people so much through most of the game...but Christ playing through morbid it was a MUCH bigger issue. When a single zombie can take off like 15% of your life in one hit it becomes an issue and a big one. Whenever a fat zombie can take off half your damn life in a second it becomes a MAJOR fucking issue.

Still I have plugged through and outside one or two parts that hung me up for 2 or 3 tries I made it through to the last level. Reached the final bridge stage last night, but decided to try it today since I have a feeling that last stretch is going to have me stuck for an hour or two. I know playing on the difficulty before morbid it took me 5 or 6 tries to beat it and when I did beat it I actually did so not even fighting but just charging through the enemies and getting lucky ;)

[quote name='MSI Magus']I did not understand why the darkness bugged people so much through most of the game...but Christ playing through morbid it was a MUCH bigger issue. When a single zombie can take off like 15% of your life in one hit it becomes an issue and a big one. Whenever a fat zombie can take off half your damn life in a second it becomes a MAJOR fucking issue.

Still I have plugged through and outside one or two parts that hung me up for 2 or 3 tries I made it through to the last level. Reached the final bridge stage last night, but decided to try it today since I have a feeling that last stretch is going to have me stuck for an hour or two. I know playing on the difficulty before morbid it took me 5 or 6 tries to beat it and when I did beat it I actually did so not even fighting but just charging through the enemies and getting lucky ;)[/QUOTE]
You are referring to the Grim difficulty. I finally beat it last night. Took nearly an hour to finish that last stage, but did it fairly easily by being methodical. The first part on the bridges wasnt that bad since you can keep everyone in front of you for the most part. Just remember, which I think you already mentioned earlier, the fully upgraded shotgun is best on the Cutter (knive hands)and Screamers (along with fire). And on the last part where its a big open area, I made sure to have Mines available to place around me. Then make sure you grab the blue containers scattered around to refill ammo. Of course this will all be much harder on Morbid, but I would think the same tactics apply.

As far as darkness goes, I also turned up the brightness a bit, but the darkness didnt feel cheap to me. It is part of what the game is all about, you have to be on your toes and pay careful attention at all time. I think it provides great atmosphere to the game.

[quote name='bastiartadi']Heu guys, do we have a weekly play sched for this game? Its kind of hard to play through anything harder than normal solo[/QUOTE]

Most people have said that the game gets harder on co op mode not easier. When you play on co op its essentially increasing the difficulty(kind of like how in Diablo 2 every player that joins a game makes the enemies tougher).

Booooyaaaa bitches! Beat the game on Morbid. Was pretty tough and time consuming but not too bad if you took it slow. Especially that last area which I thought was uber difficult on grim. Part of the reason I found it uber hard was because I ran out of Ammo not realizing there were some chests here and there. I got swamped with enemies and panicked. This game I took things nice and slow and after taking out the big tough guys like the screamers and cutters I backed myself towards a corner and then slowly came out taking pot shots and slowly pressing forward. After I felt I had taken most of them out I explored for treasures and was suprised to find there were even a few health packs to help out. Made things MUCH easier finding those health packs and ammo resupplies...I actually beat the stage with like 90% health and like 80% of my ammo still in tact.

Arggggg I did not realize that the loot trophy included opening every car trunk. That is a def pain the ass! Anyone know if you have to play through the game in campaign mode or if you can select a mission at a time in mission select?

Do I need to get them all on a straight run meaning 100% the stage, or can I get one or two then replay the stage and get ones I missed later? Meaning like can I miss a chest 1 of 3 but get the other 2, then on a separate play of the stage get chest 1 and 2 but miss 3 and still get the trophy since I had gotten chest 1 on a separate run?

Grrrr not sure I want to do this loot one but I am sooooo close to a plat trophy! Its annoying to spend 10-15 mins clearing a stage just to get a 98%....

its going to be hard to know exactly what you got and what you didnt. i doubt the loot carries between play through if it isnt armor. theres a good loot walk through on ps3trophies.org, just go there and look through it. best to play through on brain dead though cuz you accidentally blow up a car you didnt loot, youll have to start over.

[quote name='8bitArtist']its going to be hard to know exactly what you got and what you didnt. i doubt the loot carries between play through if it isnt armor. theres a good loot walk through on ps3trophies.org, just go there and look through it. best to play through on brain dead though cuz you accidentally blow up a car you didnt loot, youll have to start over.[/QUOTE]

That loot walk through really is not that great though since it does not cover cars and a few people have said its missing one or two things here or there. I may try again tonight but there is a decent chance I just wait for youtube videos.

bread's done
Back