Dead Space - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Just expensive at 60 dollars. I hope gamefly sends this to me![/quote]

I can agree with that. If it was $30 I would buy it blind but I'm going to wait to hear what people think (although the reviews are leaning me towards a buy).

I'm getting my copy today, but probably won't play it until Friday. I refuse to play this during the day. This will be a night time only, with all of the lights turned out game.

For anyone that's picked this up, how do they handle game saves? Can you save anywhere or do you have set locations and if they're locations are they frequent? If the game has backtracking as noted in many of the reviews I want to make sure in addition to back tracking I'm also not replaying sections of the game because save points are 12 city blocks apart.

[quote name='cerial442']I'm getting my copy today, but probably won't play it until Friday. I refuse to play this during the day. This will be a night time only, with all of the lights turned out game.[/quote]

They way it should be done.

[quote name='Stormedtrooper']For anyone that's picked this up, how do they handle game saves? Can you save anywhere or do you have set locations and if they're locations are they frequent? If the game has backtracking as noted in many of the reviews I want to make sure in addition to back tracking I'm also not replaying sections of the game because save points are 12 city blocks apart.[/quote]
There are save stations, but they are frequent enough that I have yet to have a problem.

Picking this up for my brother today. I don't have huge expectations for it, but we will see. I do like a lot of the art design and atmosphere, and I loved the animated comics. I hope the story in the game is just as good.

[quote name='fieldkillah']There are save stations, but they are frequent enough that I have yet to have a problem.[/quote]

Awesome, thanx for responding! I'll definitely need to consider raising this game to the top of my list then :)

It sounds like a great game, and from what I've seen, I think it'd be safe to call it a Resident Evil killer! (yeah, I went there) Are there any copies at Toys R Us yet? I'd like to take advantage of their little deal.

[quote name='ScallionN']Are there any copies at Toys R Us yet? I'd like to take advantage of their little deal.[/quote]

I headed online and they're listing the release date (on TRU.com) as 20 Oct...2 days after the sale ends :( hopefully the brick & mortar stores get them in stock before the 20th.

[quote name='Stormedtrooper']I headed online and they're listing the release date (on TRU.com) as 20 Oct...2 days after the sale ends :( hopefully the brick & mortar stores get them in stock before the 20th.[/quote]
Ugh. That's downright painful. If that's the case, I'll just rent it and buy something else instead.

Gamefly, wtf on not shipping until tomorrow. This has been my number one for weeks now...if it doesn't go out first thing I'm going to be one sad panda :(

[quote name='Megaten']Gamefly, wtf on not shipping until tomorrow. This has been my number one for weeks now...if it doesn't go out first thing I'm going to be one sad panda :([/quote]

I did the same, but they sent me civ rev. I can wait.

Wow I just checked the video review for this game at IGN and man do I want the game. Thank god my birthday is on the 25th so I can afford it.

The last good Survival Horror game I played was RE4 and even that is more action than horror (although an amazing game). Silent Hills and RE and not doing it for me anymore, hopefully this game scares the shit out of me. Although I am buying Star Wars Empire at war with it too so I have something to hold me until the night when I can turn the lights off :lol:.

I just hope the PC version supports 1920x1200 resolution.

Beat the game. Took a little over 9 hours. Amazing game. It will most likely be the best single player experience of this year. It can't really compare to games like Gears, but goddamn this game is good. It's like Resident Evil 4 set in space.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']6.5 from OXM.

http://www.oxmonline.com/article/reviews/xbox-360/a-f/dead-space

WTF?[/quote]

I wonder how far Meghan DID get in the game.. since we dont know her XBL gamertag..

Im betting she got past maybe chapter 4/5 then did the review.

As a reviewer myself.. I play the game straight thru.. and it doesnt honestly seem like she did.

I beat the PS3 version a few hours ago, took me about 10ish hours.

I do agree though, Ive played the same games she has, Only Ive beaten silent hill 5 and she hasnt played it yet.

The game really doesnt have the terror effect that Silent Hill and Resident Evil do...

[quote name='A Happy Panda']

@Durrand - The game looks scary as shit to me. Granted, I am a complete pansy and the scariest game I've ever completed by myself was Bioshock (and it wasn't that bad).[/QUOTE]

Bioshock was much scarier than people give it credit for. I don't think Dead Space will be as scary. It looks more like a straight action game ala RE4. I don't think that would be a problem except the game markets itself as being really scary, so it's sure to disappoint. I haven't played it yet though, so I could be wrong. I mean some critics have said that Silent Hill 5 isn't scary, and I thought it was, so who knows.

[quote name='Stormedtrooper']Awesome, thanx for responding! I'll definitely need to consider raising this game to the top of my list then :)[/quote]

Also when you die, you restart the section you were in, so you dont go all the way back to the save spot to start over.

Trust me, there are areas you are going to mess up/die on...

Wow, I love this game so far.

The atmosphere created by this game is amazing. All the menus and "cutscenes" are integrated directly into the game world. This way you never really leave the game, disregarding load screens between chapters. There really is a great sense of tension and vulnerability. Isaac is not a super hero. This does not mean that you die repeatedly. It means that you are always capable of dieing.

Maybe some people will find the game boring because it is go here and do this and then go here and do that. Personally I think people are being too picky. Aren't all games like this? Maybe the claustrophobia amplifies the fetching, but I don't think so.

The reason I like it, is because the game is able to create a sense of foreboding that makes me uncomfortable and wary in turning the next corner or going down the next hallway, while still keeping me interested in exploring the ship and discovering its secrets.

Oh and the Scorpion suit makes Isaac look like a bad ass. Yeah and the art book preorder bonus is really nice—high quality stuff.

Does this game control like resident evil 4 or more like gears of war? I'm interested in how the game controls and plays. I REALLY hope they didn't adopt a 3rd or first person control scheme.

[quote name='motuza']Does this game control like resident evil 4 or more like gears of war? I'm interested in how the game controls and plays. I REALLY hope they didn't adopt a 3rd or first person control scheme.[/quote]

The game uses an over the shoulder view. The left stick lets you walk forward, backward, and strafe left or right. The right stick controls the camera while you are not aiming. You use the left trigger to bring up your gun and the right stick to aim; right trigger is to shoot.

Oh and you can shoot/aim while moving.

I think the controls are executed excellently.

I may be getting the game next week. Even if I don't I downloaded the elite suit since it'll only be free for a limited time. I know I'll get the game at some point.

I'm liking the game so far, though I'm definitely getting the "more of a rental than a buy" vibe. My three biggest problems with the game:

-Standard "oh, a dead body. It'll probably jump up at me." (they don't hide this very well, as I noticed that all the bodies that did that had a different skin)

-Not enough necromorphs. I never feel too vulnerable, because I know that--assuming I waste them in six shots or less--I'll have enough ammo to take on the next one. I wish they'd made ammo scarcer, like it seemed they were going to, and/or made more/more dangerous necromorphs.

-It doesn't feel super scary to me; though it could be because they toted it as being really scary. The only times I'm scared are when more than one necromorph pop up around me, which doesn't happen too often.

That being said...I just played the game for three hours, and was very reluctant to put the controller down. I love the game so far, the creature designs are top-notch, and the sound is awesome.

Also? I

Anyone notice what the Ultimate Limited Edition is going for on Ebay (one's currently over $200)? Pretty insane considering it's still available at the EA Store for $149.95 plus shipping.

I played about halfway into Chapter 2 tonight, and man, this game is intense. The atmosphere is phenomenal. I love the way everything is incorporated into the suit, too--the holograph menu, the ammo display, the video logs, etc. I think I'm really going to enjoy this.

So far I have gotten to chapter five and I have to say that I am really liking the game. The atmosphere is just amazing, the game is very well polished. You just get immersed in the game. I first ignored the game when it was announced and when it was in PAX. Read the reviews and saw video and decided to pick it up. I am glad I did!! I have to agree with IOnceWasLegend
The game may be scary to some (a friend also bought the game, he kept screaming like a little girl) but for me they just use gimmicks from thriller and horror movies much like suddenly entering an area and a dead body falls, you see a monster run by from a hole in the wall and sound cues in soundtrack notifying you that this is a scary part and there are still monsters in the area so be nervous.

The medium difficulty is actually pretty easy as I always have plenty of ammo which you can take down enemies in 3 shots. The game can be beat with the gun you start out with thus no needing other guns unless you want a shotgun or an assault rifle type of gun to kill the monster in your preffered gun style. Really digging the hologram menu system.

The story is not bad so far and really like the production put into the cut scenes as they are well composed and rarely occur.

I am just liking how EA is turning things up around and letting developers have more control in designing their game. Hope the game sells well so EA sees that taking risks and giving developers control over their game pays off.

PS: if you down load the free suit given in xbox live or psn store, the free downloadable suit is the best in the game and you dont need to buy the other suits, saving you in game currency. The downloads i think are avalible for a limited time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Stormedtrooper']Anyone notice what the Ultimate Limited Edition is going for on Ebay (one's currently over $200)? Pretty insane considering it's still available at the EA Store for $149.95 plus shipping.[/quote]

We're talking about ebay....the place that has people selling Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii for the same price as a brand new wii.

I honestly think it's pretty much impossible to scare "veteran gamers" nowadays. We are way too use to the tricks of the trade. I mean, the last time I remember really jumping was when those damn dogs jumped through the windows in Resident Evil. From that point on, I knew that the game had changed...literally and figuratively.

Anyway, the one thing I do agree (someone pointed this out earlier in the thread) that is kind of silly about this game is the fact that you really can tell which corpses are going to be re-animated. It would be nice if some "regular" looking corpses just jumped up, if only to maybe take their last breath or grab at your leg.

Overall, this is my favorite new IP of the year, easily.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I honestly think it's pretty much impossible to scare "veteran gamers" nowadays. We are way too use to the tricks of the trade. I mean, the last time I remember really jumping was when those damn dogs jumped through the windows in Resident Evil. From that point on, I knew that the game had changed...literally and figuratively.

Anyway, the one thing I do agree (someone pointed this out earlier in the thread) that is kind of silly about this game is the fact that you really can tell which corpses are going to be re-animated. It would be nice if some "regular" looking corpses just jumped up, if only to maybe take their last breath or grab at your leg.

Overall, this is my favorite new IP of the year, easily.[/quote]
Even though I see all the "boo!" moments coming from a mile off, they still get me. And this game is just constant stress--it's far more dreadful than cheap. Then again, I'm a big, blubbering vagina...but still.

I think this game did what BioShock did, and that is nail its atmosphere perfectly. It feels like a perfect blend of Alien (being stuck on the ship) and Aliens (trying to survive against hordes of enemies).

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Did Saint's Row get pushed back? Last time I checked it released on the 14th as well.[/quote]
Saints Row was out before all of those games. Dead Space was actually delayed a day.

Definitely feels like they took a lot from Bioshock, and a little from Mass Effect. Which is a good thing.

Halfway through chapter 6 (just got it tonight..), and I can say this is the best game I've played in a long while.

Only played about 45 mins worth last night just before I went to bed, but so far I'm loving it.

Really wanted to keep playing it but I didn't want to stay up too late. I think I'll be playing it a lot this weekend.:)

I really want to play this game even though from what I'm hearing most people are saying that it's more of a "jumpy" horror as opposed to psychologically horror.

I was hoping the game would be a lot more like Event Horizon. There was gore and jumpy parts, but what made it so scary was that it got into your mind.

Holy shit...I already said it, but I'll say it again...this is my favorite new IP of the year. What a great game. I hope this sells really, really well, and that we are in store for a long series. Everything about Dead Space was top-tier. I agree, though, they it would have been nice if they played up the psychology aspect of it. No spoilers, but it is part of the storyline. As the player, though, you see what's going on and know what is real and what isn't. I would have liked to see something along the lines of Eternal Darkness, where your sanity begins to have an affect on the game.

Now, for the others who have beat it...

The hive mind was pretty easy, even on hard, but god damn, what an epic looking boss.

Hmmm...Apparently this is a secret Achievement.

1YCLiGJhbC9ECBsFG1lTWTU3L2FjaC8wLzIwAAAAAOfn5-q5MtQ=.jpg
Don't get cocky, kid
Survive the ADS Cannon with over 50% shield strength remaining

G_Icon_External.gif

Acquired 10/16/2008

[quote name='benjamouth']Only played about 45 mins worth last night just before I went to bed, but so far I'm loving it.

Really wanted to keep playing it but I didn't want to stay up too late. I think I'll be playing it a lot this weekend.:)[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way last nite. I am actually getting myself ready for a one to hour Dead Space gaming session. I have been looking forward to it all day.

I just realized that, either during Chapter 12 or after you beat the game, there are logs available that give you a lot of background information, including a profile on Isaac and details on how the Necro virus works.

EDIT: Yeah, it is after you beat the game. Very interesting reads, if you were really getting into the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone experienced freezing problems with this game? I'm only on the second level but my copy has froze about 5 times. It always happens in different places too.

Ok, I finally got to play this tonight and I was very impressed with it. I was able to knock out the first three chapters and it was very hard to stop. I like leveling up my guy and it seems like I'll have to at least play through it twice to max some things out. The story is very interesting and all around I'd say this is one of the best games to come out on the 360 in a while. Anyone on the fence with this game should at least give it a rent.

[quote name='cerial442']Has anyone experienced freezing problems with this game? I'm only on the second level but my copy has froze about 5 times. It always happens in different places too.[/QUOTE]

ouch, RROD baby, enjoy

I have a question for the people who have the game. Is the game only worth a rental to beat it like a Star Wars Force Unleashed or does it have any replay value that it would be worth owning. The reason I ask is I have a rental copy coming from Gamefly but I was thinking about getting it from Circuit City with the free $10.00 gift card today and I have $55.00 in CC gift cards to use towards it. Any help on this would be great.

[quote name='ajh2298']I have a question for the people who have the game. Is the game only worth a rental to beat it like a Star Wars Force Unleashed or does it have any replay value that it would be worth owning. The reason I ask is I have a rental copy coming from Gamefly but I was thinking about getting it from Circuit City with the free $10.00 gift card today and I have $55.00 in CC gift cards to use towards it. Any help on this would be great.[/QUOTE]

I'd get it if I were you. It seems like about a 10 hour game but you definitely wont be able to upgrade everything through the first time. I'll definitely play it more than once, but you might want to wait for others opinion as I fear I might be in the minority here. I really like this game and don't regret my decision to purchase it one bit.

[quote name='FrankySox']I'd get it if I were you. It seems like about a 10 hour game but you definitely wont be able to upgrade everything through the first time. I'll definitely play it more than once, but you might want to wait for others opinion as I fear I might be in the minority here. I really like this game and don't regret my decision to purchase it one bit.[/QUOTE]

I would never have the time to play it more than once, thats the problem when it comes to games like this. I like to own all the highly rated games for the console but around this time of year with all the bigger releases coming I might have to skip this one, as far as owning it anyway.

[quote name='ajh2298']I would never have the time to play it more than once, thats the problem when it comes to games like this. I like to own all the highly rated games for the console but around this time of year with all the bigger releases coming I might have to skip this one, as far as owning it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hear ya, I'm trying to get through this by Wednesday when I should be getting Fable. It's crazy to think about how good this game is and it will probably just barely crack the top three games THIS MONTH on the 360...nuts, so many great games coming out, good time to be a gamer.

bread's done
Back