Dead Space - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Noedskou']I've preordered Dead Space: downfall on amazon. Anyone else lookin' forward to this anime?[/quote]

It was pretty good and explained a bit of the back story that I wasn't too clear on. I grabbed that Ultra Limited ED and the graphic novel added a good chunk to the back story as well. I stopped to read/watch after chapter 2 and I'm wondering now if I will see references to either as I play through.

I'm not really big into the whole survival horror genre, but I'm enjoying it so far.

[quote name='gr8asianman']It was pretty good and explained a bit of the back story that I wasn't too clear on. I grabbed that Ultra Limited ED and the graphic novel added a good chunk to the back story as well. I stopped to read/watch after chapter 2 and I'm wondering now if I will see references to either as I play through.

I'm not really big into the whole survival horror genre, but I'm enjoying it so far.[/quote]

Without spoiling too much, there really aren't many references to the incident on the colony during the game. I haven't watched the movie, yet, but I am sure the game is full of references to the characters, because there are a ton of audio, video, and text logs left behind by various crew members.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, early on, the flamethrower is quite weak. Personally, I like to use the secondary fire, where it spurts out a trail of flames that kind of lingers for awhile. If you got a bunch of Necromorphs all coming from one direction, it's nice to spray that all over and take something else out.

No, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Is it worth upgrading at all then? I like to keep my distance from the necromorphs and the flamethrower doesn't seem to throw the flame very far, at least at this point.

I kind of just want to completely pimp out the cutter

In my opinion, it's not worth upgrading the flamethrow. It is quite effective later on, but the other weapons are simply better. My favorite weapons to spend nodes on were the plasma cutter and pulse rifle.

Just completed the game. Big spoilers.

I defiantly think that it's Nicole, but I just noticed that Isaac takes his helm off 2 times?! Maybe I didn't pay a close attention to the ending when I played or I just didn't have it. Pretty weird to be honest.

Also when I was watching the walkthrough of the last chapter I scrolled down to read couple of comments and stumbled across a pretty cool one

"think the taking off of the helmet the 2nd time was just a personal glitch on the guys screen, i believe it is supposed to cut out when she attacks him"

20081027.jpg

Watched Dead Space: Downfall, was pretty good although I think I prefer the animated comics just because they were surprisingly excellent.

Just got the game. Pretty amazing, loved the visuals and audio from the get-go. I will admit, started getting a bit stale by the end of the first chapter. Hopefully new enemies will help keep it varied. Overall really impressed so far.

I rented this game due to a lack of funds, and I beat it in the most entertaining 11 hours I've had in a looooong time!

The graphics are BEAUTIFUL (especially when space/the planet are shown)

The sound is straight out of a Hollywood-caliber movie, and makes me feel terrible for not having a good surround system.

The gameplay, controls, story, progression, etc are all extremely fun and do not (in my opinion) get boring or repetitive.

Finally, I got scared a lot during this game. Who gives a damn if Necromorphs pop out of "monster closets!". A scare is a scare!

I had a lot of fun with Dead Space! So go buy it!

...and level up the plasma cutter to its fullest to achieve maximum rape-I-tude.

[quote name='Simon D I']I rented this game due to a lack of funds, and I beat it in the most entertaining 11 hours I've had in a looooong time!
[/quote]

11 hours?

Was that on Hard?

I picked up used at GS yesterday and played through the first level last night. I echo all of the good things that are being said about the game. This game is a lot of fun and I have yet to run across any annoying aspects of the game (even though I am not very far into it).

[quote name='Mr. Pink']Just completed the game. Big spoilers.

I defiantly think that it's Nicole, but I just noticed that Isaac takes his helm off 2 times?! Maybe I didn't pay a close attention to the ending when I played or I just didn't have it. Pretty weird to be honest.

Also when I was watching the walkthrough of the last chapter I scrolled down to read couple of comments and stumbled across a pretty cool one

"think the taking off of the helmet the 2nd time was just a personal glitch on the guys screen, i believe it is supposed to cut out when she attacks him"
[/quote]

Link to the walk through? I dont have or plan playing this game but I want to know the story.

Not sure if it has been posted already, but for those who have beat the game.

Look at the first letter of every chapter's name. Pretty cool I thought.

[quote name='zewone']Not sure if it has been posted already, but for those who have beat the game.

Look at the first letter of every chapter's name. Pretty cool I thought.[/QUOTE]

Haha. That is a huge spoiler and hilarious.

[quote name='zewone']Not sure if it has been posted already, but for those who have beat the game.

Look at the first letter of every chapter's name. Pretty cool I thought.[/quote]

That's classic.

Look at the first letter of every chapter's name. Pretty cool I thought.[/QUOTE]

That's great!! :applause:

So, I decided to use the $3 coupon and buy the Downfall DVD at Target (didn't have the Blu-ray, nor did the employee seem to think they were going to carry it...clueless). Anyway, not a bad animated flick, but I would say it is more of a rental than a buy, even for those who loved the game. It's extremely gory and has a few scenes that might even be bloodier than the game.

One thing that really stood out was the weapon the crew of the ship ends up using against the Necros, once they realize shooting them does no good. It essentially looks like a lightsaber and functions like a chain saw. I wish they would have included this in the game or plan on doing so in the future.

Here are a few spoilers for those interested:

1) If you were wondering, there is very little time spent on the colony. Not a surprise, considering the comic dealt with what happened down there, but I figured some would want to know, anyway.

2) The captain's death is different from what we see on the vid log, and it makes more sense here. The captain clearly attacks Kyne, and he stabs him in the eye with a needle.

3) For those who felt that Kyne was merely speculating about the nature of the Marker, it is clearly demostrated that it was, indeed, what was keeping the Necromorphs trapped in the planet. At one point, the main character looks like she is cornered, but the Necromorphs do not attack here, because she is near the Marker.

If you look at the Chapter Titles they give you a clue about the game.. found out about it after about the eigth chapter lol.

Impossible mode is stupidly hard.. thank god for cheat codes.

I finally gave this game a good sit-down. Got to what im guesing is near the end of chapter 3. I really like the game. The visuals and the audio are great. Playing the game in the dark using surround sound made the experience even better.

Going by the achievements, i'm guessing I still got a ways to go, but I dont plan on putting this down anytime soon.

I have been so addicted to Fable 2 that I havent gone back to Dead Space yet but I will. I also have Fallout 3 sealed that I need to get to but Fable 2 is so damn good.

[quote name='ivanctorres']I have been so addicted to Fable 2 that I havent gone back to Dead Space yet but I will. I also have Fallout 3 sealed that I need to get to but Fable 2 is so damn good.[/quote]

Both Dead Space and Fallout 3 are far superior to Fable 2.

I'm in the middle of Chapter 4 and my game time is 5:47. Do the chapters get shorter or am I slow as shit? I keep hearing that there is only 10 hours of gameplay.

[quote name='Trakan']Both Dead Space and Fallout 3 are far superior to Fable 2.[/quote]

This.

I llike Fable alot also, but not as much as the other 2

[quote name='javeryh']I'm in the middle of Chapter 4 and my game time is 5:47. Do the chapters get shorter or am I slow as shit? I keep hearing that there is only 10 hours of gameplay.[/quote]

The last two chapters (11 & 12) are just boss battles

[quote name='javeryh']I'm in the middle of Chapter 4 and my game time is 5:47. Do the chapters get shorter or am I slow as shit? I keep hearing that there is only 10 hours of gameplay.[/quote]

It took my about 12 hours on my first run. People are always understating the length of games, because they just run right through them. If you are stopping to read the text logs, checking out the environments, and stuff like that, you aren't finishing this game in under 10 hours.

Fun game, but:

1. It's not scary. Not even a little
2. The story is really predictable and cliche.

That being said, it's kinda like resident evil 4 mixed with Event horizon, so I like it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It took my about 12 hours on my first run. People are always understating the length of games, because they just run right through them. If you are stopping to read the text logs, checking out the environments, and stuff like that, you aren't finishing this game in under 10 hours.[/quote]

OK, good. I have been checking everything out and trying to find all the audio/text logs. What's the fun of plowing through a game the first time? I am playing on normal difficulty so maybe that is slowing me down a bit as well.

Reality's Fringe;5063710 said:
Fun game, but:

1. It's not scary. Not even a little
2. The story is really predictable and cliche.

That being said, it's kinda like resident evil 4 mixed with Event horizon, so I like it.

Someone on the 1UP show described it perfectly - it's like Now That's What I Call Survival Horror! It combines the best parts of a bunch of different games and does it all very well perfectly suited for mass consumption. It's not scary like Bioshock was (compare the two medical levels and it's not even close in terms of creepiness) but I do jump a bit every time a necromorph pops out even though I know it's coming.

[quote name='Poor2More']The last two chapters (11 & 12) are just boss battles[/QUOTE]

Eh? No they're not.

That being said, the later chapters did feel a bit shorter. Though that was more a result of an upgraded Force Gun making combat a breeze than anything else.

Yeah, I don't know why he said the last two chapters are just bosses. Chapter 11 is a pretty standard length level. Chapter 12 is pretty short, but it is still more than just a boss.

[quote name='shieryda']Just watched "Dead Space: Downfall" last night. Good stuff.[/quote]

Indeed. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of appearances from characters like Nicole, Mercer, Temple, and Cross. I was really hoping we'd delve a little bit into what happened to them during the initial takeover.

I'm
at the end of Chapter 4 and the turret it HIGHLY annoying. The controls are imprecise and I keep dying. I've tried like 10 times and I'm ready to throw the controller through the wall.

[quote name='javeryh']I'm
at the end of Chapter 4 and the turret it HIGHLY annoying. The controls are imprecise and I keep dying. I've tried like 10 times and I'm ready to throw the controller through the wall.
[/quote]

Don't feel bad. You'll get the hang of it eventually. It truly is annoying and unfortunate that they felt the need to break up such a great game with a section like that.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Indeed. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of appearances from characters like Nicole, Mercer, Temple, and Cross. I was really hoping we'd delve a little bit into what happened to them during the initial takeover.[/quote]

Temple and Cross were with Isaac so none of them were even their when it all went down. Right?

[quote name='javeryh']I'm
[/QUOTE]

Are you using both barrels? I felt pretty stupid the first couple times since I was only firing one of them. Made it much easier to blow up the big ones once I stopped. The thing even seems to recharge quicker if you overheat it.
The second of those sections is much easier if it makes you feel any better.

Actually makes me wonder what the hell they were thinking from a design perspective.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, I don't know why he said the last two chapters are just bosses. Chapter 11 is a pretty standard length level. Chapter 12 is pretty short, but it is still more than just a boss.[/quote]

GameFaqs Boards told me that, damn If I listen to the fools again

well. im not so sure ive done right in my upgrade path.
ive dumped all but maybe 2 nodes into my plasma cutter.
im on chapter 6.
is upgrading your rig really important?
i have all the weapons but i use the ripper for normal stuff and the cutter when i need to kick some ass.

im playing on hard if it makes any difference.

[quote name='Gspoon']Temple and Cross were with Isaac so none of them were even their when it all went down. Right?[/quote]

You must be thinking of Kendra and Hammond. Temple and Cross were two crew members of the Ishimura. You come across a number of their logs throughout the game. Temple worked in Engineering and once he realized that the ship was doomed, he went looking for his girlfriend, Dr. Cross, who worked in hydroponics.

You eventually catch up with Temple, but he is tied up and blindfolded by Mercer, who proceeds to kill him. When you enter the room, there is a scientist's body near him, which some have speculated is that of Dr. Cross.

[quote name='paz9x']well. im not so sure ive done right in my upgrade path.
ive dumped all but maybe 2 nodes into my plasma cutter.
im on chapter 6.
is upgrading your rig really important?
i have all the weapons but i use the ripper for normal stuff and the cutter when i need to kick some ass.

im playing on hard if it makes any difference.[/quote]

I upgraded my rig first, and then my weapons, but if you haven't had trouble up to this point, I'd say you'll be alright.

Hard isn't the hardest difficulty, fyi.

yeah theres super duper hard, but doesnt that unlock after you beat it?
hard seems just about right, ive had some trouble in certain rooms but its been enjoyable.
doesnt seem like im getting that many nodes.
maybe a couple a level.

ill stick with doing the rig then onto other stuff.
thanks guys.

I just dumped everything into the Force Gun. It's absurdly powerful when fully upgraded; it knocks literally everything down and the alt fire does a ton of damage if you can get some separation.

I finally got past the asteroid part - I wasn't using both barrels at first but I figured it out. I had 2 point of damage left. What a pain. I saved at the beginning of chapter 5 which I'll go through tonight. I'm trying to do a chapter a night until I finish since I only get about an hour to play.

I've been upgrading my cutter only. It is already really easy to kill a necromorph (I'm playing on the default setting - normal? medium?).

Just finished the game, it was pretty good. Kinda mad that you can't change the difficulty when you play under the same file again. I'm torn as to what to do.

I played for over 8 hours strait and i am midway through level 9. It is exceptional so far. However, even playing it on Easy and using the Elite suit DLC, its still a challenge. I died plenty of times, but i am enjoying it a lot. It truly feels like you're playing a horror movie. The absolutely mind blowing graphics don't hurt one bit. Sometimes i just move the camera around the character and just appreciate the polish and effort that went into this game. HUGE thumbs up and cannot wait to finish it. Definitely one of the best titles of 2008 easily.

[quote name='SoulReaver']Just finished the game, it was pretty good. Kinda mad that you can't change the difficulty when you play under the same file again. I'm torn as to what to do.[/quote]

Yeah, that's really stupid. I had to play through it 2 and a half times because of that. Achievement whore? A little bit lol. It was fun though...well worth it.

[quote name='blitz6speed']I played for over 8 hours strait and i am midway through level 9. It is exceptional so far. However, even playing it on Easy and using the Elite suit DLC, its still a challenge. I died plenty of times, but i am enjoying it a lot. It truly feels like you're playing a horror movie. The absolutely mind blowing graphics don't hurt one bit. Sometimes i just move the camera around the character and just appreciate the polish and effort that went into this game. HUGE thumbs up and cannot wait to finish it. Definitely one of the best titles of 2008 easily.[/quote]

Yeah I agree. I thought the game was a bit short though, and some of the objectives and side-story was mindless.

I beat the whole game in 9:30 hours, and I really took my time exploring and going over logs again and again just to get everything in.

Just finished the game, didnt run through it and watched and read every item i found along the way. LOVED IT. Ending was also particularly badass. btw
was that the chick he imagined was alive or the traitor that got killed at the end?
. Anyhow, it took me about 10 hours in game and about 11 total from the times i died here and there. I would recommend this game to anyone who loves a deep game that sucks you into the universe. Just make sure to play it in the dark, makes all the difference.

If anyone at EA reads this, Bravo, you guys did a wonderful, absolutely stellar job on this game.

bread's done
Back