Deadliest Warrior: Ancient Combat (PS3/360) $5 after $20 off Coupon

Picked it up for $0, played it for 30 min. Couldn't figure out why I had to launch the game from the favorites menu, beat the arcade mode, gave it to my nephew as a "gift".

Okay...

::flips through pages missed while sleeping::

Cool, this thread is still rife with crazy people. Confoosious still prefers grinded moth balls to my bath salts. And the Father of Cheap chimes in after 31 pages of lunacy to confirm what the majority of us thought all along.

::waits for 'no he didn't' comments::

All kidding aside, this game is terrible. Tried playing it last night and wow... they could have least had some sort of generic music playing during the fight.. just get really boring hearing grunts and blades... Trading this bad boy into Gamestop ASAP.

I think the most entertaining thing about this thread is the stories of what kind of BS the worker/managers will spew at you just to avoid giving you a free game.

$5 still isn't bad, if I got it I would've put it on goozex.com right away (no lie). The gameplay looks down right generic and sloppy

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Most of us have the subscription due to being in the Gamer's Club Unlocked, so at most it's $1.50 an issue(10 issue sub). But my subscription/membership already paid for itself quite a few times over from all of the trades I was doing. So the magazine subscription is like a bonus for me.:D[/QUOTE]You have no idea of how many people are still not subscribers LOL There's people who posted in this thread that "this is the deal that's gonna get them to join". So basically all the good titles that have been dirt cheap weren't good enough but they'll pay $15(which means the game isn't free:dunce:) for a bad free game.

BB has the market cornered now the just need some more game flops like Brink, Hunted:TDF & DNF & they can increase the gamers club membership by making them $1-3. Then we can enjoy better gaming deals subsidized by the higher volume of unlocked members & since these new members only buy crap titles the good stuff will still be in-stock.

[quote name='iduncurr']I think the most entertaining thing about this thread is the stories of what kind of BS the worker/managers will spew at you just to avoid giving you a free game.[/QUOTE]I rather enjoy ^^^

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Basically you're paying off Best Buy an extra $5 (+tax) to get rid of all those customer service hassles.[/QUOTE]Some people rather pay $15 ^^^

I bought this game before the price drop (got it for $10 a few weeks back). I wasn't able to go into the store on Monday for a price adjustment that would make the game free. I did get in there yesterday though after they bumped the price up to $24.99. I asked if I could still get a price adjustment to get my $5 back (I didn't go out of my way to go to this BB, by the way). At first they balked saying they couldn't do it. After a little run around, they agreed to do it. So, though I wish I got this game for nothing, I guess $5 is decent.

[quote name='Foxconn Worker']so wats the list of free games bestbuy has given away so far[/QUOTE]

Not a full list, I'm sure but I know for sure (without having to have anything too special):
Fairytale Fights
X-Blades (it also had a rebate from the publisher, so you were paid to buy it)
Deadliest Warrior

Went by Best But today hoping to find the game....no luck. I asked the video game section manager (he's always there when I go) if they had any in stock in the back or would restock soon. In the system it showed it as a "discontinued item" and he told me they didn't have the 360 version in stock for about 2 weeks now but had PS3 and said a few people got it for free before the price change took place.

Ended up buying Dragon Age II....didn't really want it per se but for $5 and I was already in the store I got it. They had around 25 copies on the shelves...I was surprised.

[quote name='spacegundam0079']Other freebies if I remember correctly were
Seduko Detective DS
Let's Tap Wii
With the other ones mentioned above thonk there were more[/QUOTE]

Yes, Sudoku Ball Detective on the DS was also free. I knew there was at least 1 DS game... I didn't bother with Let's Tap, so I would have never remembered that one and figured there was a shitty Wii game I missed.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']I disagree with the theory that any game is worth 5 bucks. This game helps support my case. lol[/QUOTE]

Flip it to GS then flip something back to BBY. Yup, it's worth it.

I got my copy yesterday in Downers Grove, IL the sign on the shelf said 19.99 and it rang up $24.99 on the register. So they did the overide thing and I got the game for 0.00. But immediately the Manager told the Game Section people to remove it and change the price tag.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Basically you're paying off Best Buy an extra $5 (+tax) to get rid of all those customer service hassles.[/QUOTE]
All you have to do is be polite to a BBY Gamers Manager and he/she will just give you an override.

It's always worked at my BBY regarding these kinds of offers. No bribes needed.

[quote name='derrtaysouth95']Will Walmart honor an @Gamer coupon?[/QUOTE]

I think Walmart only honors manufacture coupons. The @Gamer coupon is not a manufacture coupon, but a Best Buy coupon. So no, it wouldn't work.

This game is only worth knowing you are ripping of Gamestop when you trade it in for $9.

So.. a devious thought just popped into my head... :idea: The bonus DVD that comes with the game in the 360 version looks almost identical to the game disc... I wonder if someone might be able to trade that in with them thinking it was the game..... :whistle2:k

[quote name='Monoxide1986']This game is only worth knowing you are ripping of Gamestop when you trade it in for $9.

So.. a devious thought just popped into my head... :idea: The bonus DVD that comes with the game in the 360 version looks almost identical to the game disc... I wonder if someone might be able to trade that in with them thinking it was the game..... :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

come on dude. that's not what we're about here.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']This game is only worth knowing you are ripping of Gamestop when you trade it in for $9.

So.. a devious thought just popped into my head... :idea: The bonus DVD that comes with the game in the 360 version looks almost identical to the game disc... I wonder if someone might be able to trade that in with them thinking it was the game..... :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Yes, somebody already did that in the GS thread; it's fraud.

I wouldn't do that personally, but I'm sure it would work, especially if you had several trade-ins. Now I have traded in 360 games with a crack in the center ring before. Games would still play, but I hate the cheap-@ss discs they use. I've never had a cd-r/dvd-r crack from the center ring before.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']I wouldn't do that personally, but I'm sure it would work, especially if you had several trade-ins. Now I have traded in 360 games with a crack in the center ring before. Games would still play, but I hate the cheap-@ss discs they use. I've never had a cd-r/dvd-r crack from the center ring before.[/QUOTE]

That last post sounds wrong. Is this game worth $5?

I remember when some people got red faction armegeddon for free when bestbuy had that coupon for 20$ off. The game was on sale for 12$ or something like that a few months ago

Deal%20of%20the%20Century.jpg

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Anyone know which 5-6 episodes come in the DVD with the game i.e. Joan of Arc vs William the Conqueror, etc.?[/QUOTE]
I remember matches featuring Attila the Hun, Alexander, Spartan, Ninja, Joan, William Wallace, Sun Tzu... And I forgot what else.

I've seen some of those on tv before.

Anyone ever had any luck pricematching a previous purchase made with the gamer coupon?

I bought this for $9.99 last week with the coupon ... though am interested in seeing if I could get $5 back.

[quote name='Enuf']You have no idea of how many people are still not subscribers LOL There's people who posted in this thread that "this is the deal that's gonna get them to join". So basically all the good titles that have been dirt cheap weren't good enough but they'll pay $15(which means the game isn't free:dunce:) for a bad free game. [/QUOTE]

This is also amusing/amazing to me. There have been legitimately good/great games for super cheap with the @Gamer coupons. $10 Arkham City, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Resistance 3. $5 Mass Effect 2. Yet it's this turd, Deadliest Warrior, that has everyone convinced the membership is worth the money. It’s like saying a steak dinner for $3 is not a worthy deal, but a free stick of beef jerky is the greatest shit you ever heard of.

[quote name='brianace']This is also amusing/amazing to me. There have been legitimately good/great games for super cheap with the @Gamer coupons. $10 Arkham City, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Resistance 3. $5 Mass Effect 2. Yet it's this turd, Deadliest Warrior, that has everyone convinced the membership is worth the money. It’s like saying a steak dinner for $3 is not a worthy deal, but a free stick of beef jerky is the greatest shit you ever heard of.[/QUOTE]
There's good beef jerky, though.

[quote name='PanzerDSS']Jumped on it for $4.99. Even bad games have to be worth $5, right?[/QUOTE]

This is my logic. I will buy almost any game for $5 or less.

I picked up the PS3 version yesterday and it states it's exclusive is a hybrid disc with the show on one disc with the game.

I saw the 360 edition today and the box said the same thing for it, yet it's known that the 360 version comes with a separate DVD.

So does the PS3 edition come with two discs like the 360 version?

[quote name='Romeo']I picked up the PS3 version yesterday and it states it's exclusive is a hybrid disc with the show on one disc with the game.

I saw the 360 edition today and the box said the same thing for it, yet it's known that the 360 version comes with a separate DVD.

So does the PS3 edition come with two discs like the 360 version?[/QUOTE]

PS3 version is one disc, X360 is 2 discs.

[quote name='Warner1281']PS3 version is one disc, X360 is 2 discs.[/QUOTE]

I assume the hybrid disc text on the back of the 360 packaging is just a big oopsie then.

[quote name='Romeo']I picked up the PS3 version yesterday and it states it's exclusive is a hybrid disc with the show on one disc with the game.

So does the PS3 edition come with two discs like the 360 version?[/QUOTE]

Of course not. PS3 uses blu-ray, so no need for multiple discs. 360 uses dvd, which is really outdated and can't hold nearly as much data as blu-ray.

[quote name='confoosious']by the way, here's a summary for any new people in this thread:

1) it was free yesterday in the morning
2) it was free yesterday with override in the afternoon.
3) it's supposed to ring up $24.99 today so you can use the $20 coupon with no override and get it for $5

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FinderKeeper']They probably didn't even think about the implications of the coupon until the numbers from Monday hit them in the face.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy did not lose any money on this deal, at least not anymore than they were already expecting to when they decided to put out the coupon. When the publisher lowers MSRP, the retailer receives a rebate for unsold copies. The coupon was also negotiated with the publisher to share the lost revenue, with the bulk of that probably falling on the publisher also. In the end, Best Buy will be compensated for the most of the cost of the coupon and the MSRP price reduction. We just helped them clear shelf space, which is probably more valuable to them anyway. Though I'm sure some number cruncher did freak out looking at the numbers.

bread's done
Back