Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='io']Well, it is my third playthrough so I'm familiar with all the strategies. My problem is that it has been so long since I've played that I'm not sure I'll be able to be as adept with combat as I once was. In particular switching between spear and arrows quickly. And it really isn't the bosses that I have a problem with, it is the stupid club dudes in World 5. Those things always take me out if I let them get too close. I usually try to snipe them but another problem I have is that not having played through world 4 in this playthrough (because I don't need to) I no longer have the heavy arrow seller guy. I banked 999 before this playthrough but I'm down quite a bit after dealing with the red dragon and some other stuff.

The good news is that I am though the prison area actually - I did this a month or two ago after not playing for several months. It took me a lot longer than the last time I did it (getting back into the controls) but it is done now. So the rest of World 3 shouldn't be too tough - it is world 5 that I am dreading revisiting. That was by far the least enjoyable part of the game for me so I'm just kind of not that into getting through it. But man, I put so much time into this game that it would be a shame to stop one trophy short of the platinum as I have done for 9 months now...[/QUOTE]

Use the "hyper" mode on the giants. Equip the thieves ring, the clever rat's ring, keep your bow in your left hand, along with the shield in your left hand. In your right, equip the Morion blade and Makoto. When you get into world five, switch to makoto and take your health down until you see the rat symbol, then switch back to the morion blade. Now you should be able to take out all of the depraved ones out in 1 shot of your bow (make sure you have the morion blade out and equipped in your off hand). The giant depraved ones will take about 3 - 4 shots.

If you are at close quarters, you can switch out the makoto with your spear for close ranged attacks.

My biggest problems with level 5 are getting to Leechmonger. After you get there, it's not too hard. Also, when I am in the swamp, I get far away from the giant ones and when you're just within bow range, you can see their breath in the darkness and aim just to the 9 or 10 o'clock of the steam from their breathing.

I have a story to share.

A few weeks ago, I was playing co-op with some dude on 5-1 (I was the helping blue phantom). We beasted all the way through and killed the final boss (The thing stuck to the ground... Leechmonger?). So I rated his performance like every other time you kill a boss as a phantom from another world. But then right after that, it took an unusual amount of time to get back to the loading screen. It must have taken a minute as opposed to like 5-10 seconds. I noticed that the guy must've disconnected just as we finished because his body disappeared from my sight (he never ran around). Finally when I got to the loading screen, suddenly a trophy popped up. It was the trophy to kill Old King Doran. I was shocked. Wtf did I do to get that trophy? I have never killed him before (fought him once in my other character and got pwned) so I have no clue how I got the trophy. I even made sure by going through my trophy list to see if I actually got it.

So today, I finally went back to 1-1 with the Masoleum Key to fight Old King Doran. I thought he was still alive because even though I got the trophy, I never actually fought him. Killed the beefed up soldier man right before Old King Doran and healed like crazy to prepare for the fight. And I opened the door with the key and guess what I found?

Old King Doran wasn't there. All I found was the special item drop thing and when I picked it up, I got everything you would get if you killed Doran (the ring and his armor). It was right in front of DemonBrandt. I picked everything up and left happily but confused at the same time. Too bad I can't use his armor (I picked female for this character).

I don't expect anyone to make heads or tails about this situation. I just threw it out there as a "wtf just happened" type of thing. Maybe the guy who disconnected just as we finished the boss fight screwed up my game somehow... I'm not sure.

It is a glitch which has happened in the past, coop resulting in the trophy for killing Doran. It must be a convoluted string of events which causes that.

Got this game today to give another chance. I played it way back before it was released in the U.S. and didn't get very far in it, but I felt like trying it again.

Any recommendations before I start?

Best place for chunks of hardstone and Sharpstone is the crystal gecko nest in Stonefang, or the geckos in later sections of Boletarian palace. If you wish to farm them from enemies, miners in Stonefang drop both. Get to Pure black world tendency and then either clear the right tunnel at the start of Flamelurkers level or kill the group of miners in the 1st stage near the spiderstone crystal gecko.

If you need shards or large shards, it's best just to buy them from the filthy man in the large open chamber where you meet patches in Stonefang in flakelurker's level.

===

Beginning can be a bit overwhelming as the game leaves it you you to figure things out. The easiest starting class is the royal as it starts with the spell "soul arrow" which can one shot most enemies in the first level. Another class that many start out as is the Temple Knight.

-The class you pick has no long lasting impact, any class can learn skills as proficiently as any other class, the only difference is starting equipment and base allocation of stats.
-In the Nexus, on the ground floor, near stockpile Thomas is an area full of many hints on the floor which will teach you many things about the gameplay.
-You must beat the first boss before you can level up, but if you keep dying and losing your souls you can exit the level and use the souls to purchase healing items from the blacksmith. Items and levels purchased with souls are permanently kept after death.
-Find and equip the cling ring (turn around once you dodge the flaming boulder, go to the base of the tower, and pull the lever to find the ring and unlock a permanent shortcut) which increases your max health from 50% to 75% in soul form.
-Once you beat the first level, take the spiral staircase in the Nexus up to the top of the main chamber. Walk up the stairs and make the first right and you will be staring at a massive statue. Turn left and look for the candle on the floor to talk to the Monumental, learn some of the backstory, and unlock the other 4 worlds.

[quote name='guardian_owl']It is a glitch which has happened in the past, coop resulting in the trophy for killing Doran. It must be a convoluted string of events which causes that.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of glitches, there is a game breaking glitch which can occur at the end of Stonefang mine. When you fight the final boss of that level, at the end of the fight it will be mostly incapacitated, but still has the ability to periodically hurt you. If you die at the same time you kill it, the game will not credit you for the kill and it will be impossible for you to finish the game.

So at the final stage of the fight when the boss is pinned down it is best to finish it off either with a ranged magical spell or a bow to avoid accidentally dying at the same time as the boss.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Speaking of glitches, there is a game breaking glitch which can occur at the end of Stonefang mine. When you fight the final boss of that level, at the end of the fight it will be mostly incapacitated, but still has the ability to periodically hurt you. If you die at the same time you kill it, the game will not credit you for the kill and it will be impossible for you to finish the game.

So at the final stage of the fight when the boss is pinned down it is best to finish it off either with a ranged magical spell or a bow to avoid accidentally dying at the same time as the boss.[/QUOTE]
Are you talking about the Armored Spider or the Flamelurker?

[quote name='AzzidReign']Are you talking about the Armored Spider or the Flamelurker?[/QUOTE]

Neither. It's the very last boss in world 2.

[quote name='Backlash']Neither. It's the very last boss in world 2.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah that's right, the Dragon God, I forgot about him, if people still want to attack him up close just wait until he inhales, then go in for one or two strikes, then back away to the side.

I would not fool around with trying to melee him, and risk f-ing up your save data. Use bows or magic from afar.

Sometimes you wanna invade so you can do this.

DELICIOUS.jpg

[quote name='Paco']Sometimes you wanna invade so you can do this.

DELICIOUS.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Invading is fun especially when you invade someone who doesn't know how to play.

[quote name='Jodou']So, who wants to see Demon's Souls beaten in 55 minutes?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely amazing. Especially 5-1 (though I haven't watched the 4th video yet). I wish I could see a write-up of the planning and strategy that person went through to figure out the exact order of worlds to play and which items to grab and which atrtibutes to level, etc. Lots of thought must have gone into that (in addition to the mad skills).

[quote name='Backlash']Absolutely amazing. Especially 5-1 (though I haven't watched the 4th video yet). I wish I could see a write-up of the planning and strategy that person went through to figure out the exact order of worlds to play and which items to grab and which atrtibutes to level, etc. Lots of thought must have gone into that (in addition to the mad skills).[/QUOTE]
The guy doesn't waste a second, not a single second. Everything is planned, from timing when to equip/unequip stuff while walking forward to some of the most crazy shortcuts I've seen. He only kills what he needs for an exact amount of souls and only picks up what he needs to survive. Even his health total was carefully planned, as you see him get intentionally hit many times just to bring his health perfectly in line with hyper mode. The guy even uses LOAD GAME to sync elevators in timing with his ascent so that he arrives when they do.

It's one of the most awesome speed run videos I've ever seen, right up there with Half-Life.

Anyone else find that the servers are now a ghost town? I can't co-op/invade/get invaded by anyone... it's really frustrating. I'm a SL 80.

[quote name='pram12']Anyone else find that the servers are now a ghost town? I can't co-op/invade/get invaded by anyone... it's really frustrating. I'm a SL 80.[/QUOTE]

Probably because all the worlds are set for Pure Black World Tendency until Halloween. So, everyone's probably playing offline. However, if you need to grind/level up, then now's the time to do it.

[quote name='jh6269']Probably because all the worlds are set for Pure Black World Tendency until Halloween. So, everyone's probably playing offline. However, if you need to grind/level up, then now's the time to do it.[/QUOTE]

why is it easier to level up right now?

Enemies are harder and give more souls when it's black tendency (plus there are a lot more black phantom versions of enemies that give tons of souls).

[quote name='lokizz']why is it easier to level up right now?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what ChibiJosh said. Especially if you go to 4-2 or 4-3. 4-2, the black phantoms will give you a ton of experience if you equip the Ring of Avarice and the thieves ring. Also, if you go to 4-3, you can sneak up on the black phantom dual katana skeleton, and he'll give you around 60,000 souls per kill. Then, the next 2 gold skeletons will give you around 30K. I farmed for the pure bladestone, and my level was 240 or somthing, look thru the older messages where I was looking for ppl's help, but I was too high of a level.

My buddy and I have actually been invaded pretty frequently. Pure black gives the advantage to invaders, so we've seen plenty of them. Saw plenty of them in pure white though, too. SL range of 80-195 during the last month or so.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, what ChibiJosh said. Especially if you go to 4-2 or 4-3. 4-2, the black phantoms will give you a ton of experience if you equip the Ring of Avarice and the thieves ring. Also, if you go to 4-3, you can sneak up on the black phantom dual katana skeleton, and he'll give you around 60,000 souls per kill. Then, the next 2 gold skeletons will give you around 30K. I farmed for the pure bladestone, and my level was 240 or somthing, look thru the older messages where I was looking for ppl's help, but I was too high of a level.[/QUOTE]

damn guess i need to get back to playing this.

[quote name='lokizz']damn guess i need to get back to playing this.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a great game. Also, my level was around 208, not 240...

[quote name='guardian_owl']Best place for chunks of hardstone and Sharpstone is the crystal gecko nest in Stonefang, or the geckos in later sections of Boletarian palace. If you wish to farm them from enemies, miners in Stonefang drop both. Get to Pure black world tendency and then either clear the right tunnel at the start of Flamelurkers level or kill the group of miners in the 1st stage near the spiderstone crystal gecko.

If you need shards or large shards, it's best just to buy them from the filthy man in the large open chamber where you meet patches in Stonefang in flakelurker's level.

===

Beginning can be a bit overwhelming as the game leaves it you you to figure things out. The easiest starting class is the royal as it starts with the spell "soul arrow" which can one shot most enemies in the first level. Another class that many start out as is the Temple Knight.

-The class you pick has no long lasting impact, any class can learn skills as proficiently as any other class, the only difference is starting equipment and base allocation of stats.
-In the Nexus, on the ground floor, near stockpile Thomas is an area full of many hints on the floor which will teach you many things about the gameplay.
-You must beat the first boss before you can level up, but if you keep dying and losing your souls you can exit the level and use the souls to purchase healing items from the blacksmith. Items and levels purchased with souls are permanently kept after death.
-Find and equip the cling ring (turn around once you dodge the flaming boulder, go to the base of the tower, and pull the lever to find the ring and unlock a permanent shortcut) which increases your max health from 50% to 75% in soul form.
-Once you beat the first level, take the spiral staircase in the Nexus up to the top of the main chamber. Walk up the stairs and make the first right and you will be staring at a massive statue. Turn left and look for the candle on the floor to talk to the Monumental, learn some of the backstory, and unlock the other 4 worlds.[/QUOTE]

+

-then use souls to level up with "The Maiden in Black"....well thats what I would have done.

Anyone up, helping me get past 3-1 on my new char that has a soul level around 13? I want to get to 3-2. (if anyone will to help that has char around that level messaage me on PSN loltonytony)

I used to think I was OP when it came to most video games, Demon's Souls sure taught me otherwise, though it's addictive as hell even after dieing 100 times (I need to try a different class, other then hunter.)

[quote name='360CoreGaMer']I used to think I was OP when it came to most video games, Demon's Souls sure taught me otherwise, though it's addictive as hell even after dieing 100 times (I need to try a different class, other then hunter.)[/QUOTE]
No need to change your class and re-roll unless you wasted a lot of stat allocation, any class can handle any weapon or learn any skill as efficiently as any other class.

[quote name='guardian_owl']No need to change your class and re-roll unless you wasted a lot of stat allocation, any class can handle any weapon or learn any skill as efficiently as any other class.[/QUOTE]

I can't even make it past the starting zone, unless I am going the wrong way, I go straight through the bridge, up the stairs left where I kill two melee 1 archer, into the building... eventually make my way up, there are seige weapons don't fire, look like catapults.) go either way and I am whiped out by some dude who breaks my blocking, then one shots me.

I might be going the wrong way, unless I can do stat allocation from the start? or do I just suck way too bad.

I did make a new character (priest) who seems to be doing a lot better then the hunter did, in any case.

Is the red eyed knight into the building near the last archer, or on the opposite side?

I tried checking out gamefaqs for a run through, but the majority of it is not based on actual gameplay? or seems to be more so about builds.

[quote name='360CoreGaMer']... and I am whiped out by some dude who breaks my blocking, then one shots me.
[/QUOTE]

Against knights, rely on dodging instead of blocking (this is true for many enemies later in the game, too).

Also, hunter is one of the harder starting classes. If you have too much trouble just start with a royal and use magic on all the enemies.

Well, in the three classes I have tried easiest seems as followed Royal > Priest > Hunter.
I found the blue eye'd knight and beat him, firebomb + magic from royal = pwn'd

I went into the building as I guess there is a ring, but managed to fall down the stairs, all in all I've learned far more from this game today, then I had yesterday due to being over tired, but it appears as though I'll be keeping this for longer through Gamefly, or buying it.

[quote name='360CoreGaMer']Well, in the three classes I have tried easiest seems as followed Royal > Priest > Hunter.
I found the blue eye'd knight and beat him, firebomb + magic from royal = pwn'd

I went into the building as I guess there is a ring, but managed to fall down the stairs, all in all I've learned far more from this game today, then I had yesterday due to being over tired, but it appears as though I'll be keeping this for longer through Gamefly, or buying it.[/QUOTE]

Here is a link to the Wiki and here is a link to the FAQ I used. It's a pretty good FAQ. I played through this FAQ and still really enjoyed the game.

The terminology is a little off b/c it's based on the Japanese version, but there is a section on the differences in the appendix of the guide.

guardian.co.uk

Main highlight

FINAL QUESTION: Will there be a sequel?!

HM: I will let Mr Kaiji answer that question.

TK: At the moment, my answer is "no sequel!" However, we have been encouraged by all the players, and this title is so well supported, and besides we like this title so much… Well, this is my own feeling, but I think one day we could bring you another Demon's Souls...

Project Dark is a multi-platform spin-off that will have its own lore/atmosphere/etc, but most likely having similar gameplay to Demon's Souls. Its just not a direct sequel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I don't REALLY need a sequel per se, but I would love to have another Demon's Souls LIKE game but have improved game mechanics and a whole new story. I sure hope Project Dark is that game. I really really really loved Demon's Souls, and I want to see more Demon's Souls-like games from FromSoftware!

And anyway, what would be in a sequel? The story is pretty much complete, depending on which ending you get. But I would like a prequel though, to maybe go through to the part where the 6th archstone was destroyed. Maybe some back story about King Allant or something. That would be freaking awesome... Or maybe tell the story of the first monumental or something. There are so many possibilities.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, I don't REALLY need a sequel per se, but I would love to have another Demon's Souls LIKE game but have improved game mechanics and a whole new story. I sure hope Project Dark is that game. I really really really loved Demon's Souls, and I want to see more Demon's Souls-like games from FromSoftware!

And anyway, what would be in a sequel? The story is pretty much complete, depending on which ending you get. But I would like a prequel though, to maybe go through to the part where the 6th archstone was destroyed. Maybe some back story about King Allant or something. That would be freaking awesome... Or maybe tell the story of the first monumental or something. There are so many possibilities.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The story/game of how Boletaria got into that sorry state could actually be good (unlike DS itself, which had pretty much no story worth mentioning). My fav PS3 game so far.

Funny we were just talking about this:

http://kotaku.com/5677053/sony-offers-glimpse-of-hope-for-more-demons-souls

So they have nothing planned, but a sequel may happen at some point.

Addressing a long list of questions from readers of the Guardian Games Blog, Takeshi Kajii from Sony Japan Studios says a sequel is possible. "At the moment, my answer is 'no sequel!'," Kajii cautions. "However, we have been encouraged by all the players, and this title is so well supported, and besides we like this title so much… Well, this is my own feeling, but I think one day we could bring you another Demon's Souls..."

If the sequel has more additions to make it "player friendly" then the game will not be as challenging anymore, I hope they keep it as it is but only tweak some things.

I'd say Sony wanted a sequel really bad, but to open the doors to bigger audiences From decided to move forward with "Dark Project" or whatever it is so that they can have the spiritual Demons Souls 2 on 360 as well.

im in that part of the shrine of storms where that
douchebag pushes you down into a pit
i killed off the phantom but theres a item on a dead body on a stalagmite thats too high up to reach so how the hell do i get it?

also should i kill the guy if i see him later?

[quote name='lokizz']im in that part of the shrine of storms where that
douchebag pushes you down into a pit
i killed off the phantom but theres a item on a dead body on a stalagmite thats too high up to reach so how the hell do i get it?

also should i kill the guy if i see him later?[/QUOTE]

That
changes based on world tendency. I think you need pure white to get it. Killing folks (NPCs) is up to you.

[quote name='lokizz']also should i kill the guy if i see him later?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't kill him unless you're doing the quests for Mephistopheles or almost done with the game and going for pure black character tendency. You'll see him later selling stuff and he has the best price on a few items, plus he's conveniently located.

bread's done
Back