Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice - Gen Discussion & Info

[quote name='dallow']
AND WHERE IS DR. MARIO KART?
He better not be home crying wondering why this isn't on PS2 or Wii.[/QUOTE]
It really could have been done on the PS2.

If they keep the graphics where they are at now, there is no point in bringing to the PS3 if it's not taking any advantage of the hardware.

I'm disappointed in NIS (so far, it's still early) in that fact that they are being lazy.

I don't see why they'd do this from a business standpoint. They could make it on the PS2 and it'd sell a lot more.

[quote name='zewone']It really could have been done on the PS2.

If they keep the graphics where they are at now, there is no point in bringing to the PS3 if it's not taking any advantage of the hardware.

I'm disappointed in NIS (so far, it's still early) in that fact that they are being lazy.

I don't see why they'd do this from a business standpoint. They could make it on the PS2 and it'd sell a lot more.[/quote]

Yea, this has been the general consensus.

What I want Nippon Ichi to do is take a chance and make 3D models. I really don't mind waiting for the game if they actually put a lot of effort into the graphic presentation. We all know the gameplay is solid and they could build on that, but what they've usually been docked for is the old school look on more than capable hardware.

I honestly don't know how they'd take up that much space on a blu ray as well if they stick to their present formula. Someone should give em' a call and tell em' wussup.

... Because creating beautiful beautiful artistic sprites is really easy.

Edited to add: That is sarcasm up there.

Anyway, I don't care. It's Disgaea! I want this. It's not Gears of War II Turbo Remix Alpha, but I DON'T CARE.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Yea, this has been the general consensus.

What I want Nippon Ichi to do is take a chance and make 3D models. I really don't mind waiting for the game if they actually put a lot of effort into the graphic presentation. We all know the gameplay is solid and they could build on that, but what they've usually been docked for is the old school look on more than capable hardware.

I honestly don't know how they'd take up that much space on a blu ray as well if they stick to their present formula. Someone should give em' a call and tell em' wussup.[/QUOTE]NIS is too small staffed and doesn't exactly have the funds to invest in fancy 3D visuals like some developers. That's part of the reason they stick to 2D.

Well, when looking at Disgaea 3's graphics in the newest images, they actually look like they might not be able to be done on PS3 (the 3D backgrounds actually look much better this time). PS2 is on the way out anyway and Disgaea 3 is on PS3 now (I'm happy because I WANT more RPGs on PS3).

zewone is just mad because he doesn't own a PS3; therefore, he cannot buy it. ;)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']

Well, when looking at Disgaea 3's graphics in the newest images, they actually look like they might not be able to be done on PS2 (the 3D backgrounds actually look much better this time). PS2 is on the way out anyway and Disgaea 3 is on PS3 now (I'm happy because I WANT more RPGs on PS3).

zewone is just mad because he doesn't own a PS3; therefore, he cannot buy it. ;)[/quote]

1) The 3d modeling in ANY 3d PS2 game blow away whatever 3d backdrop Disgaea comes up with .. stating that the backgrounds in DISGAEA are too technologically advanced for the PS2 is absurdly incorrect.

2) Zewone can use 'money' to 'purchase' this 'PS3' you speak of... and related to that, a common argument you spout is 'xxx doesnt' even OWN a PS3.. loser'.

Did it ever occur to you that someone who doesn't own the PS3 still has means to buy it, and the reason they DON'T own one is because they simply choose to wait? You use the argument so much, your little winky smileys don't really take the edge off the absurdity.

zewone is just mad because he doesn't own a PS3; therefore, he cannot buy it. ;)[/QUOTE]
By the time this game is released, I will have another PS3.

That doesn't make any of my points less valid, I probably will still not pick this up unless a lot more work is put into it, as I already have every tactics RPG NIS has made for the PS2.

I agree that it was probably a dumb move to release this on PS3, but hopefully it'll get the ball rolling for all the SRPG freaks.

DMK?

Hmm. I'm all about the "gameplay before graphics" idea, and I am a happy Wii owner, but....

That's not impressive.

I think that Sony must be paying them to release the game on the PS3.

Otherwise, with those graphics, they might as well release the game on the PS2, which has an installed base approximately 20 times larger than the PS3's.

Here's a video finally posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vydi0hKjKlo
[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Hmm. I'm all about the "gameplay before graphics" idea, and I am a happy Wii owner, but....

That's not impressive.

I think that Sony must be paying them to release the game on the PS3.

Otherwise, with those graphics, they might as well release the game on the PS2, which has an installed base approximately 20 times larger than the PS3's.[/QUOTE]PS2 is one its way out and development needs to move onto PS3 regardless. Games need to move away from PS3 and go next gen, even if they aren't taking advantage of its visuals. There are other 2D games on PS3 so it's not a problem. 2D PS1 looking games continued on PS1, and it will happen on PS3. That's just typical of Japanese devs.

Sony isn't paying them, but they might have encouraged them. The next Atelier game (or Gust RPG) heads to PS3, so devs are just now moving from PS2 to PS3 (Ar Tonelico II probably would have been PS3 also if development started a little later).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Here's a video finally posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vydi0hKjKlo
PS2 is one its way out and development needs to move onto PS3 regardless. Games need to move away from PS3 and go next gen, even if they aren't taking advantage of its visuals. There are other 2D games on PS3 so it's not a problem. 2D PS1 looking games continued on PS1, and it will happen on PS3. That's just typical of Japanese devs.

Sony isn't paying them, but they might have encouraged them. The next Atelier game (or Gust RPG) heads to PS3, so devs are just now moving from PS2 to PS3 (Ar Tonelico II probably would have been PS3 also if development started a little later).[/quote]

I think you are gonna see alot of these niche japanese games move over to the wii because of the deveolpment costs being so low and the install base being so much higher, and with the ps3 being a demon from hell to code for, I really cant see why ds3 is on ps3.

[quote name='InuFaye']I think you are gonna see alot of these niche japanese games move over to the wii because of the deveolpment costs being so low and the install base being so much higher, and with the ps3 being a demon from hell to code for, I really cant see why ds3 is on ps3.[/QUOTE]Actually, some of theses devs are loyal to Sony (especially NIS and Gust). If you develop a 2D game or game that doesn't take much advantage of any PS3 power, the development costs are actually comparable to other platforms. Many devs themselves said that the costs of making a PSN game is really low, so it's just a matter of what you develop. Also, Agarest Senki just came out to PS3, which is a 2D SRPG (already played the demo). I think PS3 will still see these niche 2D game, but not as many as before.

Also, if a developer wants to use some power for a Japanese game (that's especially only popular in Japan), your choices are PS3 or 360. 360 is the biggest flop in Japan selling 3 times less of PS3, so the games will go to PS3 (which is why Yakuza 3, Valkyrie of the Battlefield, Steambot Chronicles 2, etc. are on PS3).

PS3 is just harder to code IF you plan to use more than one SPE or something. There have been many developers who used just one and still came up with an impressive looking game (Genji 2 developers).

[quote name='Vendetta']These are the kinds of games I was waiting to hit the PS3. =]

A SMT game on PS3 would be godly.[/QUOTE]
You do know that the creator of the SMT had left Atlus after nocturne, and has been working for Sony? Folklore wil be his first game on PS3

[quote name='depascal22']This should be a PS2 game unless there will be DLC. I guess we can only vote with our wallets on this one.[/QUOTE]PS2 needs to go and it's on the way out anyway. That's why the game is heading to PS3. Plus, NIS has been very loyal to PlayStation over the years, so they're just sticking to it. PS3 NEEDS RPGs. Also, they might take advantage of DLC too, which would be nice.

Oh course, if this game was coming to PS3, we'd be hearing the 360 fanboys going crazy, all happy saying "OMG, PS3 loses another exclusive", "OMG, Disgaea rocks so much", "OMG, Sony is teh doomed" and so on. People just don't want it on PS3 because it forces them to buy it (I even heard people at a forum complaining about Dark Cloud 3 maybe coming to PS3). This is part of the reason my blood pressure is dangerous high and why I'm starting to hate internet forums/news more than anything else in the world.

Why does the PS2 NEED to be gone? Games like this would keep the PS2 selling for years to come. Sony could milk the PS2's life with quality games that focus on gameplay while the PS3 can pimp all the graphics. I'm just not feeling Disgaea on the PS3 and that's especially if we get a price tag over $40. This series might be better served on the PSP at this point.

Oh course, if this game was coming to PS3, we'd be hearing the 360 fanboys going crazy, all happy saying "OMG, PS3 loses another exclusive", "OMG, Disgaea rocks so much", "OMG, Sony is teh doomed" and so on. People just don't want it on PS3 because it forces them to buy it (I even heard people at a forum complaining about Dark Cloud 3 maybe coming to PS3). This is part of the reason my blood pressure is dangerous high and why I'm starting to hate internet forums/news more than anything else in the world.[/quote]

I highly doubt most people care enough about Disgaea to make any sort of statement about it either way. This isn't anything even close to resemlbing a system selling franchise. Never has been, never will be. If it's on the PS3, good for it. If it's on the PS2, good for it. It won't make any sort of difference in sales for the PS3. That being said, unless they are going to budget price it for the PS3 ($39.99?) it is going to have horrible sales on the PS3. Even at $39.99 I just can't see it selling well at all.

Maybe Im stereotyping to much here, but it seems that the majority of people who bought the PS3 (I would think the same if it was coming on the 360) are going to look at the graphics and put the box right back down. Feel free to insult me if you think I am wrong about this and I could very well be.

[quote name='schuerm26']
Maybe Im stereotyping to much here, but it seems that the majority of people who bought the PS3 (I would think the same if it was coming on the 360) are going to look at the graphics and put the box right back down. Feel free to insult me if you think I am wrong about this and I could very well be.[/QUOTE]

BUT ITZ ON TEH BLURAYZ!11 I'm seriously disappointed though, imagine HD sprites in a J-SRPG?!

New pics:
071026_dis3_01.jpg

071026_dis3_02.jpg

071026_dis3_03.jpg

More images here:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071026/dg3.htm

The game looks sweet so far. I definitely cannot wait. :D

[quote name='depascal22']Why does the PS2 NEED to be gone? Games like this would keep the PS2 selling for years to come. Sony could milk the PS2's life with quality games that focus on gameplay while the PS3 can pimp all the graphics. I'm just not feeling Disgaea on the PS3 and that's especially if we get a price tag over $40. This series might be better served on the PSP at this point.[/QUOTE]Naw, they prefer bringing the main series to a console. NIS is close to Sony, so that's why it comes to PS3.

DITCH THE SPRITES, GO FOR KICK ASS 3D MODELS.

I had to say it, it's reminding me of SF Puzzle Fighter HD, everything looks nice but the sprites :/

I wouldn't mind if it gets pushed back a bit if they opt for that, but really, it's time to move on.

This is ugly, lazy, and unacceptable. Not even redoing the art for 3 iterations of the same game? What is this, a capcom fighter? I sort of enjoyed the first disgaea, but they're just doing the typical JPRG manbaby spoonfeeding on this one. How about some high resolution art? How about some detailed environments? How about some changes to the gameplay?

Only Mana Knight would overlook this crap. Graphics don't matter, but if you're just going to have the same dithered, blurry, SNES quality sprites as always, why is it on a new system? The PS2 is still a perfectly viable platform.. Nobody who had a problem with Gun and all the other Xbox1 port-ups to 360 should be okay with this. Double standards for everybody!

Can we say "massive retail failure?"

Who is going to buy this? People who favor gameplay over graphics are still playing their PS2s. PS3 owners are going to be busy with MGS, Final Fantasy and other big-budget games that will cost the same amount.

I'm a fan of NIS for sure, but with the 4 PS2 games I have of theirs, I have no need for a sequel for at least 10 years.

[quote name='willardhaven']Can we say "massive retail failure?"

Who is going to buy this? People who favor gameplay over graphics are still playing their PS2s. PS3 owners are going to be busy with MGS, Final Fantasy and other big-budget games that will cost the same amount.

I'm a fan of NIS for sure, but with the 4 PS2 games I have of theirs, I have no need for a sequel for at least 10 years.[/QUOTE]It will do fine in Japan. It costs NIS next to nothing to make many of their RPGs, so getting any kind of sales pretty much breaks them even. There are a bunch of PS3 fans starved for an RPG, and there are many who like Disgaea. I'd gladly pay $60 for this, since I love Disgaea, 2D games, and would love more RPGs on PS3. If Agarest Senki comes stateside, I'm buying that in a heartbeat.

There's already a few 2D RPGs on PS3 anyway (Agarest Senki is one). Gusts next RPG is coming to PS3 and I can pretty much guarantee it will be 2D.

This is Agarest Senki, which I played the demo of:
Agarest2.jpg
[quote name='Inf^Shini']DITCH THE SPRITES, GO FOR KICK ASS 3D MODELS.

I had to say it, it's reminding me of SF Puzzle Fighter HD, everything looks nice but the sprites :/

I wouldn't mind if it gets pushed back a bit if they opt for that, but really, it's time to move on.[/QUOTE]From what I hear, NIS just doesn't have the funds to invest in more impressive graphics, due to being small.

disgaea was never about graphics its about gameplay and a good story disgaea 1 and 2 had some one of the best stories ever its wayyy too early to judge this game

imo this is NIS flagship game they wont mess it up

No, this is going to be a massive failure like has never been seen before. Releasing a sequel in a very very niche series that still looks like a PS1 game on a $500 console. Wow. If mass market stuff like stuntman, madden, and others are barely selling on PS3, NIS is crazy to release this on PS3.

This should have been a PS2/Wii project and hopefully NIS will learn their lesson. They depend on a large userbase to support their product. Either that or it should have been a downloadable title for $20, since the low res sprites should have no problem fitting into a gig or two. Forehead slaps all around.

and to all the morons saying "graphics don't matter" there's some truth to that, but when you're releasing what will likely be a $60 product on a $500 console, you should have some standards. Using PS1 level assets is not acceptable at that price of entry.

[quote name='jer7583']No, this is going to be a massive failure like has never been seen before. Releasing a sequel in a very very niche series that still looks like a PS1 game on a $500 console. Wow. If mass market stuff like stuntman, madden, and others are barely selling on PS3, NIS is crazy to release this on PS3.

This should have been a PS2/Wii project and hopefully NIS will learn their lesson. They depend on a large userbase to support their product. Either that or it should have been a downloadable title for $20, since the low res sprites should have no problem fitting into a gig or two. Forehead slaps all around.

and to all the morons saying "graphics don't matter" there's some truth to that, but when you're releasing what will likely be a $60 product on a $500 console, you should have some standards. Using PS1 level assets is not acceptable at that price of entry.[/quote]

in america it might be a big deal to sell this game on the ps3, however in japan they eat this type of shit up without even thinking twice about it. it may be niche in america but it's commonplace in the land of the rising sun. they aren't selling disgaea to joe halo who only cares if master chief is playable in the game.

Wow, Flonne has certainly "matured". I suppose that might not be Flonne. If it is, it does nothing to explain baby Etna next to her.

I don't think the Japanese eat up much of anything without thinking right now that isn't on a Nintendo platform. This is going to bomb, worldwide. Confirmed. Sent to die.

Mana, maybe you should look at all the negative responses in this thread as a big deal. We're about 1 in 30 for positive responses to this garbage.

The series just might be more popular in the US than it is in Japan.

Disgaea 2 debuted at 104k (3rd place) for the week of Feb 20-26 in Japan. It quickly dropped off the charts, and as far as I can tell, was never confirmed as hitting 200k. Thats on a pretty fat install base.

It certainly is possible for something to sell very well on a low install base. I believe at one time, Trauma Center for Wii was the best selling game ever for Atlus USA, though I'm not sure they were counting units or revenue.

I would say its at least an uphill battle though.

[quote name='mykevermin']Quoted for posterity.[/quote]

Yea, I'd hate to be negative, since this game really gave SRPG's new life and got me back into the genre, but they need to realize it's not gonna cut it in today's gaming world if it's released on a next gen system.

IMO, if they are really gonna stick with the present formula and graphical presentation, they're better off releasing it on the PSP.

I said it before, but I really would not mind if they delayed the game months (or maybe even a year with the releases coming next year) just to revamp and really put a lot more effort into the game. It's Disgaea 3 and has a lot to live up to, so it really needs to come out with "guns blazing".

Man I want this game to do well...

[quote name='mykevermin']Quoted for posterity.[/QUOTE]

Well, what is the definition of bomb? I'd think it'd have to hit 300k to avoid that definition. I don't think it will in either US or Japan. A lot of that depends on the price, though. If it's $30 or so then it could sell a lot more. At $60, I'd be surprised with 100k first week sales.

What is so hard about doing high resolution art for all these developers? A next gen, 2D game with super high resolution sprites and smooth animation would be fantastic, but instead we get this.

[quote name='jer7583']Well, what is the definition of bomb? I'd think it'd have to hit 300k to avoid that definition. I don't think it will in either US or Japan. A lot of that depends on the price, though. If it's $30 or so then it could sell a lot more. At $60, I'd be surprised with 100k first week sales.

What is so hard about doing high resolution art for all these developers? A next gen, 2D game with super high resolution sprites and smooth animation would be fantastic, but instead we get this.[/QUOTE]You are SO WRONG about the Japanese market you seem to assume it's exactly the same as the US. one. In Japan, most next gen games cost EXACTLY the same price as games from last gen (6800 yen), which is equivalent to $55 (well, it was before). The only time a game usually costs much more is when Square Enix publishes a game (which can be as higher than 7000 yen).

I said it before, NIS is low budget (there are many low budget devs in Japan, list Gust, Idea Factory, Takuyo, etc.). They will continue making the same games they do, but on newer consoles.

Disgaea 3 coming to PS3 is good because it lacks SRPGs, encourages competition between gaming platforms having their own exclusives, and it gives PS3 some more anime based games (which seem to be near extinct this gen).

[quote name='Inf^Shini']FYI, NIS America is only a localizing publisher, the actual developer is Nippon Ichi.[/QUOTE]I say NIS because they are still known as Nippon Ichi Software in Japan. If I was referring to America, I'd include that. ;)

[quote name='The Crotch']*waves*

Call me crazy - or something worse, more likely - but I really don't mind that the graphics haven't changed. It just... it just seems right that it stays that way. I'm not saying I want it to become common in the genre, or that I want to reward laziness, but I can't say the graphics have done anything to hurt this game in my opinion and this sentence turned out horribly god dammit.

Though the fact that it's on the PS3 rather than PS2, Wii (loyalty can only take your so far), or a handheld has me perplexed. Mightily perplexed.[/quote]Oh, I've no problem with the graphics.
I'm glad they're making it like this.

[quote name='dallow']Sorry you can't download it Zewy. I feel ya.[/QUOTE]
I already have Disgaea 1 & 2. There would be no need for me to download the same game again.

Jer has a valid point; if they have no plans on updating the visuals, or releasing it as a budget title, the series would serve better as a Wii / PS2 / PSP / DS title. Personally, I would love to see it on PSP or DS.

I don't see the problem with releasing it on Wii, not only is install base enormous, it also has at least three separate control configurations. Don't like using pseudo mouse controls? Use the CC or Wavebird instead.

As much as I love the original Disgaea, I'm not shelling out more money for a glorified PS2 game. $30 or bust for me.

You know TMK, you're always complaining about high blood pressure and getting mad from browsing the forums, how about just ignoring these pointless arguments altogether? If someone bad mouths the PS3, let them be. Face facts; you're not going to change anyone's opinion on Sony or the PS3, so stop trying trying. The only thing you're doing is hurting yourself.

[quote name='zewone']I already have Disgaea 1 & 2. There would be no need for me to download the same game again.[/quote]But didn't you DL Halo 3?

Oh yeah!

I forgot Halo 3 didn't have HD graphics, 4 player co-op, new multiplayer maps, brand new campaign, armor customization, a map editor, and a saved films feature.

Exact same game. Great observation there, dallow. :roll:

[quote name='jer7583']Well, what is the definition of bomb? I'd think it'd have to hit 300k to avoid that definition.[/QUOTE]

Based on what criteria? Disgaea 2 selling under 200K in Japan means that Disgaea 3 must sell 150% of that or else it's a "bomb"?

Man, I don't hate idle speculation as much as I hate idle speculation that abuses real numbers.

[quote name='zewone']Oh yeah!

I forgot Halo 3 didn't have HD graphics, 4 player co-op, new multiplayer maps, brand new campaign, armor customization, a map editor, and a saved films feature.

Exact same game. Great observation there, dallow. :roll:[/quote]I guess I could say the same about GT5 since it'll have online play, new areas, new cars, HD graphics, more customizaion, damage and weather, and saved films as well.

Oh wait, you already said it's the same game as GT3 and GT4. D'oh! :roll:

[quote name='dallow']That's it?
I win this battle.[/QUOTE]
We're already too off topic, I don't want to take it further.

You will never win dullow; just accept the fact. :D

Who here has said the series should be 3D? Those sprites don't even look as good as Final Fantasy Tactics. They're just plain ugly.

Your puling shit out of your ass again jer, like me explain the situation you stupid troll. PS3 is also $400 now, so it isn't that expensive. And as for Japan, they're getting PS3 for even less.

Madden has actually sold pretty good on PS3. Stuntman came late to PS3. Btw, if you look at the Madden commercials, you can't even tell there's a PS3 version due to a tiny PS3 logo and so on.

PS3 is just now hitting 360's top end launch price, a year later, for their most basic unit, and the system isn't "that expensive"? I guess those things are relative, but honestly. Whose fault is it that PS3 titles show up late, or inferior to other versions?

Only the ignorant hide behind name calling to marginalize others' opinions. Keep on living in your hole, Mana.

NIS is loyal to Sony, that's why this game is ending up on PS3. You just want it for Wii/PS2 since you'll never buy a PS3 anyway because you aren't a real gamer. PS2 will be phased out throughout 2008 anyway, so it makes no sense to even bring it to PS2 anyway.

Their loyalty is going to cost them plenty as this is going to bomb. I laughed and laughed at your point about not being a real gamer because I don't want an overpriced box I'd play nothing on. Who the fuck gives a flying fuck about what a real gamer is? Kids, obviously.

The PS2 is still the most viable platform at the moment for budget and niche developers, like NIS. Just because it'll be "phased out" doesn't mean those systems stop working, or people stop buying games for them.

If Sony was smart, they'd keep on marketing the PS2 as it's making them a fuckton more money than the PS3 is right now. The PS2 could last through 2010 if Sony really wanted it to. Instead they're going their typical arrogant way and removing PS2 BC to "encourage" PS3 title sales.

Face it, you'll be forced to buy a PS3 one day anyway. The game shouldn't even be on Wii because the Wii-mote = disgusting for an SRPG like this. This game is better for a console with an original controller, that's why it's coming to PS3. Forget 360, because Idea Factory's RPG and Far East of Eden Ziria didn't even break 2k copies sold in Japan.

I will buy a PS3 for $100 in 6 years and feel good about it, just like I bought my PS2 slim a year ago for $50. Staying one generation behind in one hardware maker seems rational enough, doesn't it? Besides, the way the system has been dropping in price, I'd say anybody is crazy to buy it before MGS4. By then maybe a $300 unit will be out.

How many buttons does Disgaea use? Cancel and Confirm? Does anybody use analog? Remote only controls would work fine for this game. 360 wasn't even an option. PS2, PSP, or Wii, or downloadable is where Disgaea 3 belongs, and where Disgaea 4 will be after this fails.

Graphics don't always matter. There are plenty of impressive looking PS3 games, but does EVERY single game have to be impressive, no. I bet you bought a few crappy PS2 ports which are just high res on 360, since you just love sleeping with MS. NIS is all about 2D graphics and that's what they'll stick to. People barely cared about the graphics on PS2 (when they looked like PS1 graphics), so why will people care now?

Maybe because they paid anywhere up to $600 for this console and this has been done twice before looking exactly the same? The first disgaea had charm, the second was tolerable, but fool me three times..

Your point about graphics not mattering would sell a lot better on a $130 PS2 and a $250 Wii where graphics actually don't matter to that console owner. I'm surprised Sony even wants this out on PS3, what with how much they hate 2D and their emphasis on the Cell.

That was my point about up-rezzed 360 ports. You complain about that but feel okay with this?

I don't sleep with MS, Nintendo gets in on the action too! I just don't sleep with overpriced, attention whore bichiz.

You are SO WRONG about the Japanese market you seem to assume it's exactly the same as the US. one.

The "hardcore" gaming demographic is even more dead in japan than it is here. Look at the weekly sales numbers. Nintendo. Owns. Japan. On Wii this game would have a fighting chance, on PS3 it's doomed. PS2 was different, it had such a huge userbase to work with. This move by NIS is basically like announcing a gamecube exclusive SRPG back in 2003.

I said it before, NIS is low budget (there are many low budget devs in Japan, list Gust, Idea Factory, Takuyo, etc.). They will continue making the same games they do, but on newer consoles.

Either buy a PS3 if you want this game or just STFU and get out of this thread.

It will take FAR more than an uninspired PS2 game on blu ray to get me to even look at PS3 with anything but derision. Being a SRPG fan I certainly am allowed to refute my point that NIS are lazy developers that use the "old school" thing to make garbage like this acceptable. Maybe if you had some standards instead of blindly taking whatever meager offerings appear on PS3, you'd see that too.

"making the same game on a new console" is not sufficient. If this comes out at $30 or they take the rational way of making it downloadable rather than inflating the price by putting it in a box, then it's less insulting. Just because you have low expectations doesn't mean we all do. You can't argue that a high res, hand drawn sprite based Disgaea wouldn't be preferable to this blurry garbage.

[quote name='mykevermin']Based on what criteria? Disgaea 2 selling under 200K in Japan means that Disgaea 3 must sell 150% of that or else it's a "bomb"?

Man, I don't hate idle speculation as much as I hate idle speculation that abuses real numbers.[/QUOTE]

Well, apologies for not having the numbers in front of me. 200k sound fair to you? Do you think every PS2 Disgaea 2 buyer will have both bought a PS3 and still cared about the franchise into its 3rd iteration? I'd say no, especially since even within a single generation, sequels tend to sell less as they go on, without a $400 investment involved.

I think we're all angry at the fact that they're re-hashing the graphics and not even attempting to go further, since that should be an instant no-no in today's graphically-hungry gaming world.

Gameplay wise, I honestly wouldn't mind if they kept it the same and just tacked on some new features, you know, "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

bread's done
Back