Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice - Gen Discussion & Info

disg3_2_topper.jpg

How important are graphics in the scheme of game design? Do they trump audio? Level design? Gameplay? Peer pressure probably dictates that we downplay the importance of graphics, but the impact of eye candy cannot be understated. Anyone believing differently need only take a cursory glance at comments made by readers in reaction to news that NIS America would bring the third game in its popular console strategy franchise Disgaea to the PlayStation 3 this August.

The reactions were made not to the game's release date, but rather to the title's appearance, which despite calling Sony's latest console home, look very much the part of a last gen release. Recently we caught up with the publisher's marketing coordinator Jack Niida, and asked him a number of questions about the game, including just what's the deal with Disgaea 3's lack of visual fidelity.

"It's simply because PS2 lacks the processing power and memory capacity to support Disgaea 3," Jack told us. "PS2 could not load the same amount of data on to memory and process it like the PS3; therefore, we decided to develop it for the next-gen platform." He added that "the character sprites for Disgaea 3 take 3~4 times the amount of labor to create compared to Disgaea 2," and the team is "doing our best to improve the sprites."

While you mull over that justification, and decided if it's enough of a reason to continue to look forward to Disgaea 3's release this fall, look for our complete interview with NIS America later this week.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/11/nis-america-ps2-lacks-the-power-to-run-disgaea-3/

That is why Disgaea is on PS3 and not PSP/PS2. I certainly agree with him and look forward.

The sprites only look better when you zoom out. Other than that, they look the same as Disgaea 2's sprites. However, the animation does look improved IMO, so I'm assuming that when they refer to improving the sprites they mean creating more frames for the sprite animations and try to pretty it up a bit (if that's even possible).
The environment looks sharp but not anything ground-breaking. They should have just made the world/levels larger so the sprites appear smaller and prettier.

From the amount of time I've put into it, it doesn't seem like anything to get too excited over, but I love the Disgaea series and so far it hasn't dissapointed in that view, BUT, I was annoyed with one thing, and that was the Intro. The animation is nice but the song blows. I don't want to spoil anything but the song just fails completely on what it tries to be, and I hope they change that song for the English version.

Btw, team attacks rule and you can do stuff with blocks now, plus you can go on top of Geo Symbols now ^^b

Also, I have no idea what he references to when talking about the lack of processing power and memory :whistle2:k

[quote name='Inf^Shini']The sprites only look better when you zoom out. Other than that, they look the same as Disgaea 2's sprites. However, the animation does look improved IMO, so I'm assuming that when they refer to improving the sprites they mean creating more frames for the sprite animations and try to pretty it up a bit (if that's even possible).
The environment looks sharp but not anything ground-breaking. They should have just made the world/levels larger so the sprites appear smaller and prettier.

From the amount of time I've put into it, it doesn't seem like anything to get too excited over, but I love the Disgaea series and so far it hasn't dissapointed in that view, BUT, I was annoyed with one thing, and that was the Intro. The animation is nice but the song blows. I don't want to spoil anything but the song just fails completely on what it tries to be, and I hope they change that song for the English version.

Btw, team attacks rule and you can do stuff with blocks now, plus you can go on top of Geo Symbols now ^^b

Also, I have no idea what he references to when talking about the lack of processing power and memory :whistle2:k[/quote]

Does part 3 still have full camera zoom/rotation? Can you customize that any (maybe with the right stick?)

Also, does the game at least support 720p?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/11/nis-america-ps2-lacks-the-power-to-run-disgaea-3/

That is why Disgaea is on PS3 and not PSP/PS2. I certainly agree with him and look forward.[/QUOTE]

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2008/1050.html

Last but not least, Niikawa asked fans to look forward to the announcement of various new titles for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable in the future.

That's what PS3 owners should be concerned about. So much for NIS going bankrupt because of the PS3 and NIS's decision to put a game on it. So much for Sony rejecting the game in NA because of the graphics.

Having just started Disgaea 2 finally, that screen shot does look a fair bit better. Also what do people want from the graphics? I personally like the sprites, and I think they fit the overall game design perfectly.

I just hope all that extra disc space and processing power means more classes, abilities and items... (maybe you can go up to lvl 99,999 now)

Find me someone who has beaten Disagaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Disgaea 2 and Soul Nomad, and I will find you someone who should be excited for this game.

[quote name='willardhaven']Find me someone who has beaten Disagaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Disgaea 2 and Soul Nomad, and I will find you someone who should be excited for this game.[/QUOTE]

i have :D, but im not excited =/

[quote name='mtxbass1']Does part 3 still have full camera zoom/rotation? Can you customize that any (maybe with the right stick?)

Also, does the game at least support 720p?[/quote]
You still have full camera control, but it's still only in those 90 degree turns; I would have preferred free, full control of camera rotation.

They did add one more zoom out to the features, so everything can get tiny and it looks sharper, but once you execute/end your turn it auto zooms back in (as usual).

The game supports up to 1080p, so no worries there.

[quote name='willardhaven']Find me someone who has beaten Disagaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Disgaea 2 and Soul Nomad, and I will find you someone who should be excited for this game.[/QUOTE]

you left out la purcell

[quote name='willardhaven']Find me someone who has beaten Disagaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Disgaea 2 and Soul Nomad, and I will find you someone who should be excited for this game.[/quote]
I'm excited and I don't even have a PS3.

New Disgaea 3 patch coming in Japan
Nippon Ichi Software announced an update for its PlayStation 3 title Disgaea 3. After downloading the patch, which will be available starting today, players will be able to add the "ten gentlemen" to their party. Those characters have been non-playable so far. To add them to one's party, two conditions have to be met. First, the player has to get the game's normal ending and second, the level of protagonist Mao has to be higher than that of the respective gentleman. Under those conditions, the player can add one gentleman to his party after each play through.

Disgaea 3 has been available in Japan since January 31st. NIS America is currently readying a localized US version for an August release on this side of the Pacific.
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2008/1153.html

Pretty cool news if you ask me. :) One reason I'm glad it's on PS3 compared to a last gen platform.

Also, it did get a name which I updated the thread title with:
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/index.php?option=com_magazine&id_rubrique=3&type=article&id_article=82

Got this e-mail from Rosenqueen this morning:

Customizable Disgaea®3
Bonus Soundtrack for preorder customers!
Pick 15 and vote today!

Unleash Your Evil Genius!​

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
Genre: Strategy RPG
Player(s): 1
Console: PlayStation® 3
On sale: Late August 2008

Click to see larger image.

Hello everyone!
Disgaea 3 for PS3 will be coming out this August! We've been thinking about how cool it'd be to make a bonus soundtrack that is customizable. Besides bizarre stories and characters, Disgaea is all about strategy and customization, right? So, we thought why not let you guys choose songs for a bonus soundtrack!?
We've gathered songs and music from Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories, and Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice. We'd like you to pick your 15 favorites and vote for them! There'll be plenty of songs to choose from, so think hard and vote! We've also added a short clip of each song, so that'll help you remember all the good music from the Disgaea series. And that's not all! We'll let you choose the cover art for the soundtrack as well!
Visit the Customizing Disgaea 3 Soundtrack voting page to vote for your 15 favorite songs and a cover art.
The songs and cover art with the most votes will become the bonus soundtrack for the preorder customers. You'll receive the soundtrack with the Disgaea 3 game if you preorder.
We hope you enjoy voting! The voting period will end on July 7th.
Receive the preorder bonus soundtrack at participating retail stores! The preorder may start on various dates depending on stores.
*The bonus Soundtrack is only for preordered units.
Look forward to more information about the preorder in an upcoming NISA e-newsletter.
Let us introduce you guys to the new main characters of Disgaea 3. The last two Disgaeas had weird and funny characters that you just can't stop loving... or laughing at... The characters in Disgaea 3 are no different! The main character, Mao, attends Evil Academy, well, he has never been to class but he is the best student there because "good is evil, and evil is good" in this twisted Netherworld. He plays videogames and reads comic books all day, which he calls "researching". One day his father, the Overlord, accidentally destroyed millions of hours of saved data for his videogame, which led to Mao deciding to become a hero... Mao discovered that only a Hero can defeat an overlord...from comic books. All of his research did not die in vain after all. Mao quickly captures Almaz, who claimed to be a hero. Mao is trying to gain the power of a hero from Almaz, but is Almaz really a hero? Mao's classmate, Raspberyl tries to stop Mao from becoming a hero... Can Mao become a hero and defeat his overlord father...?
Almaz
A hero freak who dreams of becoming the next big super hero. However, his inability to do anything right is making his chances look grim.
Mao
A mad scientist researching ways to destroy his overlord father. He hates humans and good guys, but he's interested in super heroes to be his experimental guinea pigs.
Rasberyl
The worst delinquent demon in school, meaning she's a good person by human standards.

Here are a couple of screenshots from Disgaea 3. They are still in Japanese, but we hope you can get some feel for it! (Click to see larger images.)
One last time, visit the Customizing Disgaea 3 Soundtrack voting page and Preorder Disgaea 3 at participating stores to get this bonus soundtrack!!
We hope you enjoyed this issue of the NISA E-Newsletter!
Please let us know if there are any questions or concerns.
Have a great day!
Best regards,

NIS America customer service : 714-540-1122
RosenQueen customer service: 714-540-1185

© 2008 NIPPON ICHI SOFTWARE INC. Disgaea is a registered trademark of NIPPON ICHI SOFTWARE INC. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
© 2008 NIS America, Inc. All rights reserved.

[quote name='Halo05']They should make a new song that consists of Laharl yelling "horse weiner?!" over and over again.[/quote]

Maybe they could get someone like Timbaland to remix it. :lol:

Has anyone seen the Shonen Jump ad for it? It's weird.
If I get a PS3 I would get this, still having the 360 PS3 warfare in my mind, while my wii and I sit in the background playing brawl waiting until one of them dies =P.

I'll be picking this one up. It's nice that it's coming out at $50.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I updated the OP with boxart and other info.

Official Site is up:
http://www.disgaea.us/dis3/index.html

Comes out August 26th, 2008 for $49.99. :D[/QUOTE]

Well at least they're offering it for less than a normal PS3 game. Still, should've been a $40 PS2 / PSN game.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Has anyone seen the Shonen Jump ad for it? It's weird.
If I get a PS3 I would get this, still having the 360 PS3 warfare in my mind, while my wii and I sit in the background playing brawl waiting until one of them dies =P.[/QUOTE]

Not going to happen, at least not till the PS4 / 720 hit.

La Pucelle is fucking awesome. Haters need to STFU. ;)

Then again, I'm a female, and I think that's the game's main audience. :lol: I actually just replayed it a couple weeks ago. There's definitely a lot of flaws with the gameplay, but it's still a great time.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']La Pucelle is fucking awesome. Haters need to STFU. ;)
[/QUOTE]La Pucelle is my favorite one of the NIS RPGs personally.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Well at least they're offering it for less than a normal PS3 game. Still, should've been a $40 PS2 / PSN game.[/QUOTE]I'm glad it isn't on PS2 since friends of mine wouldn't be able to see me play it (It's a feature I just really love on PS3/360), I want DLC (which Disgaea 3 has), and I want the game to display nicely on my HDTV (well, at least where it's made to run in 720p native).

The reason it didn't go PSN has to do with not everyone has internet connection and downloads tend to not be as popular as retail games (unless dirt cheap). I don't mind being disc since the boxart looks sweet. :D

I'm not sure if anyone posted this. NIS announced their crappy bundles.

All theBundles will consists of Game + Customizable Soundtrack+ Main Theme CD
Game
productimages%5Cgames%5Cdisgaea3%5CDis3_FrontCover_webondic..jpg

Customizable Soundtrack CD(Songs voted by the fans)
productimages%5Cgames%5Cdisgaea3%5CdevilCD.JPG

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice Main Theme CD (Japanese Version - 3 Songs from each Disgaea Series
productimages%5Cgames%5Cdisgaea3%5CSC01.jpg

productimages%5Cgames%5Cdisgaea3%5CSC02.jpg

1.Disgaea® 3: Absence of Justice Alma Mater Set
Cost-$49.99

1. Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice game
2. Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice Customizable Soundtrack CD (Songs voted by the fans)
3. Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice Main Theme CD (Japanese Version - 3 Songs from each Disgaea Series)

http://www.rosenqueen.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=239

2.Disgaea® 3: Absence of Justice Delinquent Pride Set
Cost-$69.98

1. Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
2. Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice Customizable Soundtrack CD (Songs voted by the fans)
3. Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice Main Theme CD (Japanese Version - 3 Songs from each Disgaea Series)
4. Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice The Official Strategy Guide
http://www.rosenqueen.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=240

3. Absence of Justice No.1 Honor Student Set
Cost-$89.97

1. Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
4. Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice The Official Strategy Guide
5. Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice Digital Media Disc

productimages%5Cgames%5Cdisgaea3%5CD3_DMD_product_thb.jpg

6. (randomly one of the items below will be included)

a) Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice Original Soundtrack CD (Japanese Version: 2 Discs with 37 Songs)
productimages%5Cgames%5Cdisgaea3%5CD3OST.JPG

OR

b) Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice Artbook (Japanese Version: 36 Page in Full Color)
productimages%5Cgames%5Cdisgaea3%5CD3ArtBook.JPG

OR

c)Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice School Flag (Japanese Version: Ones used at the retail store in Japan)
productimages%5Cgames%5Cdisgaea3%5CD3Flag.JPG
http://www.rosenqueen.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=241

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the game early late last week... almost final build... but man, anyone who played the JPN version... Did you think the first few hours were incredibly boring?

I have yet to put more time into it as I've been busy with E3/work this week... but man.

I know the game got good reviews in Japan, so I won't count it out just yet... I mean I only hit the tip of the iceberg... ^_^

I'll give it more loving this weekend though... any requests for info/impressions?

[quote name='MarkMan']I got the game early late last week... almost final build... but man, anyone who played the JPN version... Did you think the first few hours were incredibly boring?

I have yet to put more time into it as I've been busy with E3/work this week... but man.

I know the game got good reviews in Japan, so I won't count it out just yet... I mean I only hit the tip of the iceberg... ^_^

I'll give it more loving this weekend though... any requests for info/impressions?[/quote]
Honestly, at the beginning I was just thrilled to play a new Disgaea game since I love a majority of Nippon Ichi/Strategy RPG games, but I've only put in a couple hours into the game. I gotta dump my JPN version quick so I can pick up the US one, so I'll have a better grip of what's going on :D

That's pretty much why I stopped playing the JPN one.

Hmm. The Absence of Justice No.1 Honor Student Set is too much of a random diceroll for me to purchase. I have no interest in the flag or the extra original soundtrack. I'd love to have the artbook however.

I did a quick browse over this thread, but not exhaustive so apologies if the question has already been asked.

Do we have a list of the character classes & controllable PCs available anywhere (in English) just yet? I wish to waste time waiting for the game by composing theoretical parties :D

Can someone who has the Disgaea 2 preorder set fill me on the size of the Japanese art book?

Is it the same size as the Makai Kingdom art book or smaller?

This game is really tempting for me to get, though there's a bunch of other PS3 games I still want to get >.> (Valkyria Chronicles, GTA IV, Burnout Paradise, Mercenaries 2...)

I want to get this, but at the moment I have too many games to play. I'm thinking of just getting the guide right now, as those are usually a little harder to find than the actual game. Have the last few Nippon Ichi games' (After Makai Kingdom) guides been hard to find or have their prices gone up?

Like you said, the guides are harder to find than the games. I stopped seeing any guides for Phantom Brave or Makai Kingdom a few weeks after release.

[quote name='depascal22']Like you said, the guides are harder to find than the games. I stopped seeing any guides for Phantom Brave or Makai Kingdom a few weeks after release.[/QUOTE]
I guess I'll end up picking it up. If worse comes to worse and I never end up buying D3, I can always re-sell it later and at least break even (hopefully).

The game is out today. I don't have a ride today, so I have to wait until tomorrow to pick up my preorder. That sucks unfortunately, but I can't wait to play. :D

Did anyone get flagged by Rosenqueen? I got my order today and was quite relieved to see I got the OST, which is what I really wanted anyway.

I remember spending over 100 hours playing D1 in college. I thought it was awesome. I started playing D2 last weekend to get ready for 3 and, while it was fun, when I got to the "epic" parts, it was just a snore.

To get past level 100ish, you have to spend hours diving into your items and leveling them up. Which could be fun, but all the rooms are pretty bland and unlike D1, theres no incentive to clear the level (items leveled better when you actually cleared them instead of skipping) so you wind up just trying to get to the X0th floor asap to kill the boss and get out.

It stops becoming fun and becomes effort. Maybe its because I have dozens of games yet to open and I'm not the poor college kid I used to be, but I just can't sit on my ass for 4 hours so my sword can do 50% more damage which will raise my damage a whole 12%! I don't know if I'm lazy, falling out of the genre or just getting too old for this shit.

[quote name='Kayden']...It stops becoming fun and becomes effort. Maybe its because I have dozens of games yet to open and I'm not the poor college kid I used to be, but I just can't sit on my ass for 4 hours so my sword can do 50% more damage which will raise my damage a whole 12%! I don't know if I'm lazy, falling out of the genre or just getting too old for this shit.[/QUOTE]

All of the above.

I have the same problems.

[quote name='opportunity777']All of the above.

I have the same problems.[/quote]

Third... I pretty much played through the story of D2 and stopped. I think online play for games like warhawk and COD4 has taken the place of my previous desire to grind for crazy boss fights in RPGs in general. I'll probably pick up D3 eventually and play through it because I like the story, art style, and humor in the games... but I doubt I'll step foot in the item world.

Now if they set it up so you could have online fights against other people in a SRPG... :drool: Disgaea would work perfectly too with the geo square system so it wouldn't just be who has the higher level character/weapon.

It has a lot to do with how many Asian developed games, along with the Diablo series and MMOs, tend to rely on obsessive compulsive-like gameplay behavior to fill in gameplay hours.

Is it a bad sign that this game has been out a day and no one has any impressions on it?

I also agree that grinding night and day for small reward isn't as fun as it used to be. The SRPG genre seems to have gotten stale after Disgaea. The only other game I enjoyed was Jeanne d'Arc.

[quote name='depascal22']Is it a bad sign that this game has been out a day and no one has any impressions on it? [/QUOTE]
At PS3 Forums, Neo GAF, etc., the threads of the game have gotten many more responses (and people posting impressions). I know one CAG on my buddy list who got it. I didn't get the game until today (could not pick it up yesterday).

Anyway, I got it along with the soundtrack today. :D
picture.php

I have no problem blowing a weekend playing Diablo 2. I know its kinda sorta the same... but the bloody corpses probably provide incentive more than subduing a specialist.

[quote name='Vanigan']It has a lot to do with how many Asian developed games, along with the Diablo series and MMOs, tend to rely on obsessive compulsive-like gameplay behavior to fill in gameplay hours.[/quote]

bread's done
Back