Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice - Gen Discussion & Info

[quote name='jer7583']Who here has said the series should be 3D? Those sprites don't even look as good as Final Fantasy Tactics. They're just plain ugly.[/quote]That’s how all NIS SRPGs look. Who the fuck cares.

PS3 is just now hitting 360's top end launch price, a year later, for their most basic unit, and the system isn't "that expensive"? I guess those things are relative, but honestly. Whose fault is it that PS3 titles show up late, or inferior to other versions?
Actually, Stuntman is better on PS3 and so is DiRT. Saying the PS3 version is always inferior proves you’re a MS viral marketer trying to spread FUD against Sony.

Only the ignorant hide behind name calling to marginalize others' opinions. Keep on living in your hole, Mana.
You’re too ignorant to accept the fact PS3 is getting an exclusive game, that you won’t be getting.
Their loyalty is going to cost them plenty as this is going to bomb. I laughed and laughed at your point about not being a real gamer because I don't want an overpriced box I'd play nothing on. Who the fuck gives a flying fuck about what a real gamer is? Kids, obviously.
It costs NIS very little to make their games anyway.

Also, it isn’t an overpriced boxed at all with no games, because I happen to have 31 games including downloads. I’ve probably played my PS3 more than you played your 360 (it wouldn’t surprise me if there was a delay playing some of your 360 games due to the terrible RRoD).

The PS2 is still the most viable platform at the moment for budget and niche developers, like NIS. Just because it'll be "phased out" doesn't mean those systems stop working, or people stop buying games for them.
Xbox is dead and GC is dead. You only want to support PS2 because it’s cheap. By looking at your posts, you seem to be a budget gamer, buying cheap over good.

If Sony was smart, they'd keep on marketing the PS2 as it's making them a fuckton more money than the PS3 is right now. The PS2 could last through 2010 if Sony really wanted it to. Instead they're going their typical arrogant way and removing PS2 BC to "encourage" PS3 title sales.
They are keeping the PS3 around. And the PS2 BC was NOT removed to encourage PS3 game sales you mentally retarded kid. Jack just said himself that with the PS2 BC removed and cheaper PS3, people can buy more PS3 games now since they’ll save an extra $100. That was only a spin put into an article by an editor, making SCEA look bad to spread more FUD. PS2 BC was removed because it saves them $20-$25 per console due to the GS being removed and its components. SCEA had ZERO impact on the decision, since it was all SCEI. Shows to me you know very little about how SCE works.

I will buy a PS3 for $100 in 6 years and feel good about it, just like I bought my PS2 slim a year ago for $50. Staying one generation behind in one hardware maker seems rational enough, doesn't it? Besides, the way the system has been dropping in price, I'd say anybody is crazy to buy it before MGS4. By then maybe a $300 unit will be out.
You own a 360 and Wii. That already tells me you just don’t want to buy a Sony console for whatever reason, unless you get it cheap so they aren’t getting much of your money, while you let MS have your money.

How many buttons does Disgaea use? Cancel and Confirm? Does anybody use analog? Remote only controls would work fine for this game. 360 wasn't even an option. PS2, PSP, or Wii, or downloadable is where Disgaea 3 belongs, and where Disgaea 4 will be after this fails.
Disgaea 4 will be on PS3. Believe!! PS2 = Dead. Wii won’t be an option because of non-gamers mostly supporting it.

Maybe because they paid anywhere up to $600 for this console and this has been done twice before looking exactly the same? The first disgaea had charm, the second was tolerable, but fool me three times.
If you hate Disgaea, then why the fuck are you posting in this thread??

Your point about graphics not mattering would sell a lot better on a $130 PS2 and a $250 Wii where graphics actually don't matter to that console owner. I'm surprised Sony even wants this out on PS3, what with how much they hate 2D and their emphasis on the Cell.
Another ignorant post. For one, SCEA were the ones who felt SOME 2D games shouldn’t be FULL priced. Do you think an SNK 2D game like Metal Slug 3 should be priced at $40-$50 new??? They felt it was best to put the game in a classical compilation, like other developers would do and they wouldn’t. That is all. You just keep assuming false crap that isn’t exactly true. SCEI doesn’t give a crap about 2D games since PS2 had WAY more than other consoles. SCEE didn’t care. SCEA just has some quality control. However, many of those who might have had restrictions are no longer with SCEA and their approval process is quite different now (which is why many stuff is slipping by now).

That was my point about up-rezzed 360 ports. You complain about that but feel okay with this?

I don't sleep with MS, Nintendo gets in on the action too! I just don't sleep with overpriced, attention whore bichiz.
PS3 is a great deal.

The "hardcore" gaming demographic is even more dead in japan than it is here. Look at the weekly sales numbers. Nintendo. Owns. Japan. On Wii this game would have a fighting chance, on PS3 it's doomed. PS2 was different, it had such a huge userbase to work with. This move by NIS is basically like announcing a gamecube exclusive SRPG back in 2003.
PS3 still continues to increase its sales in Japan and is selling near the Wii now. Saying its doomed just proves you’re an idiot again. It won’t go to Wii because the Wii is mostly casual, and Disgaea isn’t casual.

I can’t believe I haven’t put your ignore yet, but I will do it asap.

It will take FAR more than an uninspired PS2 game on blu ray to get me to even look at PS3 with anything but derision. Being a SRPG fan I certainly am allowed to refute my point that NIS are lazy developers that use the "old school" thing to make garbage like this acceptable. Maybe if you had some standards instead of blindly taking whatever meager offerings appear on PS3, you'd see that too.
NIS isn’t lazy, they just don’t have the kind of money a Capcom, Konami, Namco Bandai, etc. may have to make a graphically impressive game. However, they get by with the personality they put into their games, which is just fine.

"making the same game on a new console" is not sufficient. If this comes out at $30 or they take the rational way of making it downloadable rather than inflating the price by putting it in a box, then it's less insulting. Just because you have low expectations doesn't mean we all do. You can't argue that a high res, hand drawn sprite based Disgaea wouldn't be preferable to this blurry garbage.
It’s not downloadable because not everyone has access to an internet connection. Also, people cannot use their own cash to buy a digital download (which is why Square Enix doesn’t believe in providing digital downloads, so no FF, DQ, etc. for PSN, VC, and XBLA

I understand some of the anger at Disgaea 3 not utilizing much of the PS3s potential but saying that the sprites are worse than FFTs sprites is some crazy exaggeration.

There's a lot to complain about here, looking worse than a 10 year old PSX game is not one of the issues.

That being said, I haven't even opened Disgaea 2 yet so I'm in no hurry to get the third one.

A cel-shaded Disgaea 3 would be fine. I don't know about using sprites. The game is still going to be awesome, but I hope it doesn't flop from having low-end graphics.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']That’s how all NIS SRPGs look. Who the fuck cares.[/QUOTE]

I do. Several of the people who cared to post in this thread do.

Actually, Stuntman is better on PS3 and so is DiRT. Saying the PS3 version is always inferior proves you’re a MS viral marketer trying to spread FUD against Sony.

I said EITHER late OR inferior. Both Stuntman and Dirt were late.

You’re too ignorant to accept the fact PS3 is getting an exclusive game, that you won’t be getting.
It costs NIS very little to make their games anyway.

I accept the fact that I won't be getting this game, It doesn't bother me in the least. When I finish a disgaea game, or when they reboot the series instead of rehash, I'll care about it. Which of the first two did you see through to completion, Mana? I came into this thread thinking, well now NIS has no excuse not to do some high res, good looking art, but I get this crap.

Also, it isn’t an overpriced boxed at all with no games, because I happen to have 31 games including downloads. I’ve probably played my PS3 more than you played your 360 (it wouldn’t surprise me if there was a delay playing some of your 360 games due to the terrible RRoD).

You own 31 games because you're a Sony nut. I can't even think of 3 games I'd buy for PS3 currently. I had a RRoD. My system was gone for a little over a week, about a year ago, replaced with a new system for FREE. I don't know what more you can ask from a company in dealing with hardware problems than that. (maybe needing to wait for a class action lawsuit to get free repairs?) How many of those 31 games have you finished, Mana?

Xbox is dead and GC is dead. You only want to support PS2 because it’s cheap. By looking at your posts, you seem to be a budget gamer, buying cheap over good.
You're right about that. LOOK AT THE WEBSITE WE'RE POSTING ON. No reason you can't be cheap and have good games. I've been very much enjoying my $5 copy of Second Sight for PS2 I found the other day. What was the last $60 game you finished, Mana?

They are keeping the PS3 around. And the PS2 BC was NOT removed to encourage PS3 game sales you mentally retarded kid. Jack just said himself that with the PS2 BC removed and cheaper PS3, people can buy more PS3 games now since they’ll save an extra $100. That was only a spin put into an article by an editor, making SCEA look bad to spread more FUD. PS2 BC was removed because it saves them $20-$25 per console due to the GS being removed and its components. SCEA had ZERO impact on the decision, since it was all SCEI. Shows to me you know very little about how SCE works.

Like it or not, a Sony representative said that the reason for removing PS2 BC was to encourage PS3 title sales. I didn't make that up, it was said. And if a big company like Sony isn't willing to take an extra $20 loss per console or follow microsoft's example of software BC, they're just being cheap.

You own a 360 and Wii. That already tells me you just don’t want to buy a Sony console for whatever reason, unless you get it cheap so they aren’t getting much of your money, while you let MS have your money.

Again, because I don't want the most expensive of 3 consoles, I'm a Sony hater.. Nevermind that I have a PS2 and PSP that I use regularly.. lol.. you kids.

Disgaea 4 will be on PS3. Believe!! PS2 = Dead. Wii won’t be an option because of non-gamers mostly supporting it.

How does that matter? Wii sells as much as 5x as much as PS3 by month and suddenly that doesn't matter, because of "non-gamers". Numbers don't lie.

If you hate Disgaea, then why the fuck are you posting in this thread??

You're mistaken. I said the series is stale, not that I hate it. It's rather got some good ideas, but after two iterations of such huge games, there's got to be some streamlining and visual appeal added, or something. Typical eastern design holding onto broken gameplay elements out of laziness or some sense of "nostalgia".

Another ignorant post. For one, SCEA were the ones who felt SOME 2D games shouldn’t be FULL priced. Do you think an SNK 2D game like Metal Slug 3 should be priced at $40-$50 new??? They felt it was best to put the game in a classical compilation, like other developers would do and they wouldn’t. That is all. You just keep assuming false crap that isn’t exactly true. SCEI doesn’t give a crap about 2D games since PS2 had WAY more than other consoles. SCEE didn’t care. SCEA just has some quality control. However, many of those who might have had restrictions are no longer with SCEA and their approval process is quite different now (which is why many stuff is slipping by now).

Yet, Microsoft was able to support SNK with those releases by coming to a comprimise and bundling the games. Not 2D related, but Sony also effectively killed Working Designs by denying the release of their goemon game that they had spent a great deal on and subsequently were not able to release/profit from.

PS3 is a great deal.
Opinion. It's a great deal for a minority of the market that has an HDTV and wants a Blu-Ray player more than games. That's why it's been selling to a minority of the market for almost a year now. It's a very logical conclusion to come to based on what we know.

PS3 still continues to increase its sales in Japan and is selling near the Wii now. Saying its doomed just proves you’re an idiot again. It won’t go to Wii because the Wii is mostly casual, and Disgaea isn’t casual.

You're generalizing about an audience and games like Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime 3 have performed quite well to this "mostly casual" audience. Wii still has a larger marketshare in japan and Disgaea would sell better on it. End of story.

NIS isn’t lazy, they just don’t have the kind of money a Capcom, Konami, Namco Bandai, etc. may have to make a graphically impressive game. However, they get by with the personality they put into their games, which is just fine.

It’s not downloadable because not everyone has access to an internet connection. Also, people cannot use their own cash to buy a digital download (which is why Square Enix doesn’t believe in providing digital downloads, so no FF, DQ, etc. for PSN, VC, and XBLA

It's my opinion that if Guilty Gear and Odin Sphere, both coming from fairly small developer/publishers, are able to make high resolution art for a 2D game, Disgaea should have no problem. There's no excuse.

Did you honestly believe Square's excuse? They don't provide their back catalog because they regularly sell full priced remakes of these games and make a ton doing it. It has nothing to do with "not using your own cash" or "people being confused" it has everything to do with FF3 on DS, FF4 on DS, and the two FF remakes on PSP, all sold for $30-40 apeice.

[quote name='dallow']What's that term they uses in Saving Private Ryan?
Fubar or something?
I think those words are funny.[/quote]

Yea, it's FUBAR :lol:

For those who don't know, it's fucked Up Beyond All Recognition

[quote name='opportunity777']A cel-shaded Disgaea 3 would be fine. I don't know about using sprites. The game is still going to be awesome, but I hope it doesn't flop from having low-end graphics.[/quote]

Now that you mention it, cel-shaded would probably be a better route, does that add a lot of cost to development?? I'm not too savvy with those kinds of things.

It probably would, what with having to hire artists who can do 3D instead of just recycling the same pixelated sprites every time. I'm not even asking for cel shading, just redo the characters in high resolution, for God's sake.

[quote name='jer7583']It probably would, what with having to hire artists who can do 3D instead of just recycling the same pixelated sprites every time. I'm not even asking for cel shading, just redo the characters in high resolution, for God's sake.[/QUOTE]

I think redrawing or drawing the sprites in high-res like SSFII: Turbo HD Remix (or whatever it's going to be called) or Guilty Gear is a lot more time-consuming and expensive than using 3D models. The difficulty of re-drawing (or drawing original) sprites is why Capcom and other companies recycle the originals over and over again. Now, imagine how many different sprites will have to be redone for a Disgaea game. It would take forever to finish the product. The time-consuming and expensive nature of sprite drawing is the main reason KOF XII is going to have cel-shaded 3D models.

IMO, since SNKUSA is using cel-shading, then it must be cheaper than redoing all the character sprites because they are always looking for ways to cut corners. Also, it might be easier to manipulate 3D models once they are created than adding additional animations to sprites.

I think at best we might get Pocket Fighter HD level of high-res sprites, and those do not look very good.

I really don't care because I like the Disgaea series. If NIS chooses to make higher resolution graphics, then the company should go the cel-shading route. It would make the graphics pop a lot more and help emphasize the manga / anime nature of the characters.

Wow. Well, clearly graphics matter to some people, no? Evidently, some people seem to think that Disgaea 3 won't sell, unless they update the character sprites?

Well...hmm. Wow.

Sounds to me like sour grapes from folks who would have preferred to see this on the Wii, where, of course, it wouldn't be a bomb. :lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']Wow. Well, clearly graphics matter to some people, no? Evidently, some people seem to think that Disgaea 3 won't sell, unless they update the character sprites?

Well...hmm. Wow.

Sounds to me like sour grapes from folks who would have preferred to see this on the Wii, where, of course, it wouldn't be a bomb. :lol:[/quote]

Believe it or not, this 'crap' looking game is one of the games that makes me wish I had a ps3. Disgaea 1 & 2 are two of my favorite games ever. I have over 300 combined hours invested in those games.

My hope is that this comes out and sells like 20,000 copies so NIS will decide to port it to the 360 or Wii.

[quote name='Puffa469']Believe it or not, this 'crap' looking game is one of the games that makes me wish I had a ps3. Disgaea 1 & 2 are two of my favorite games ever. I have over 300 combined hours invested in those games.

My hope is that this comes out and sells like 20,000 copies so NIS will decide to port it to the 360 or Wii.[/quote]You missed his point Mr. Sour Grapes.

Hmm, actually. You proved it.

The key thing to me is that, if they save a lot of money by not using next gen graphics, are they going to pass on those savings to the players by pricing the game down to say, $40-$45?

The gameplay is key, but I still want things to look nice. They should have at least updated the sprites and textures to higher resolution, or at least some blocky stylized 3D models with interchangeable parts.

The main problem is that these graphics, while okay on normal screens, are going to look a lot worse on HDTVs.

I just don't see why it's going to the PS3 over the PS2. If they're doing some things that can't be done on PS2 then I'm behind them all the way.

If this game takes up a couple of gigs are they seriously going to print it on a BRD?

Bitch bitch bitch about the graffix. They ARE next gen, and here's why:

disgaeabo3.jpg

Seriously though, I'm sure it will be a great game. Not a $60 game, but really, I don't see the point in complaining about the graphics

[quote name='dallow']You missed his point Mr. Sour Grapes.

Hmm, actually. You proved it.[/quote]

I was agreeing with him. Yup... :D

I think we all agree that the graphic upgrade (or lack thereof) is a bummer, however let's analyze this a bit more. I don't know about the rest of you, but Odin Sphere was a gorgeous game...but did that make it fun? No, it was extremely monotonous. I had to fight the same bosses over and over and OVER again. Great visuals, but lacking in the variety department. Remember when the Wii came out and everyone was bitching how the graphics were crap? Well look what happened, the gameplay was fun and the Wii ended up selling millions upon millions with games that weren't even in HD. Can we please stop whining about the graphics here and return the conversation to one about gameplay, story, and characters? The disgaea series to me is fun because of the story, the conversations that the characters have between each other, and the fun strategy gameplay elements. If they beefed up the graphics I would be ecstatic, but if they decided to keep it similar I'm not gonna sit here and cry and cry and cry because you know what? It's not gonna change a damn thing. The game is going to come out on the ps3, not the ps2 or the wii, so if you want to play it get a freaking ps3 or just wait for the price of a ps3 to drop low enough for you to warrant a purchase. /end rant

It's just a touch disappointing. One of the highlights of Nippon Ichi's work is the sprites and this was a good opportunity to redraw them in a higher resolution. From what I understand they're a really small company and can't really afford it which is a shame.

I'm holding out judgement until I hear more about the game's mechanics. In order for me to bite, I'm going to need to see some new gameplay elements and a sharp story.

If my complaint of "this shit could be done on PS2/Wii why isn't it being done on PS2/Wii" equals sour grapes, then that's me.

I actually rather enjoy both sour flavors and grapes, so maybe that's right up my alley.

It would be cool if they told Sony, "hey, we wanna make this game as great as possible, you mind giving us a helping hand since we're releasing it on your console?"

This message is hidden because jer7583 is on your ignore list.
:D

[quote name='Inf^Shini']It would be cool if they told Sony, "hey, we wanna make this game as great as possible, you mind giving us a helping hand since we're releasing it on your console?"[/QUOTE]I do feel that NIS should work closer with Sony on the Disgaea games, because I think they'd be willing to provide the graphics to NIS, while NIS just does the gameplay, story, etc.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']:D

I do feel that NIS should work closer with Sony on the Disgaea games, because I think they'd be willing to provide the graphics to NIS, while NIS just does the gameplay, story, etc.[/quote]

That would only make sense

[quote name='mykevermin']Wow. Well, clearly graphics matter to some people, no? Evidently, some people seem to think that Disgaea 3 won't sell, unless they update the character sprites?

Well...hmm. Wow.

Sounds to me like sour grapes from folks who would have preferred to see this on the Wii, where, of course, it wouldn't be a bomb. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd like to see it at a price point to match what's going into the game. I could care less if that was PS2 / PSP / GBA / DS / DC / PS1 / N64 / Whatever.

Would you like to pay $60 for a game that would look dated on the PS1? That could easily be done on a number of other systems at half the price?

I'll make my stance on this very clear: I'm not touching it unless it's $30, and I don't care what fucking system it winds up on.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']

I can’t believe I haven’t put your ignore yet, but I will do it asap.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, all those words, yet you concede defeat in the middle of it all?

You tout yourself as some smart, hip individual, but your words betray you. You're just a scared child hiding from differing views. Sony is the most awesome company in the history of the world, and no one can dare say otherwise? Wake up and accept that everything you think and believe in doesn't necessary translate into complete and utter truth. You spend all this time trying to save Sony, but all you do is make them look worse and worse, while looking more and more like an insane fan-boy yourself.

[quote name='jer7583']I do. Several of the people who cared to post in this thread do.

I said EITHER late OR inferior. Both Stuntman and Dirt were late.

I accept the fact that I won't be getting this game, It doesn't bother me in the least. When I finish a disgaea game, or when they reboot the series instead of rehash, I'll care about it. Which of the first two did you see through to completion, Mana? I came into this thread thinking, well now NIS has no excuse not to do some high res, good looking art, but I get this crap.

You own 31 games because you're a Sony nut. I can't even think of 3 games I'd buy for PS3 currently. I had a RRoD. My system was gone for a little over a week, about a year ago, replaced with a new system for FREE. I don't know what more you can ask from a company in dealing with hardware problems than that. (maybe needing to wait for a class action lawsuit to get free repairs?) How many of those 31 games have you finished, Mana?

You're right about that. LOOK AT THE WEBSITE WE'RE POSTING ON. No reason you can't be cheap and have good games. I've been very much enjoying my $5 copy of Second Sight for PS2 I found the other day. What was the last $60 game you finished, Mana?

Like it or not, a Sony representative said that the reason for removing PS2 BC was to encourage PS3 title sales. I didn't make that up, it was said. And if a big company like Sony isn't willing to take an extra $20 loss per console or follow microsoft's example of software BC, they're just being cheap.

Again, because I don't want the most expensive of 3 consoles, I'm a Sony hater.. Nevermind that I have a PS2 and PSP that I use regularly.. lol.. you kids.

How does that matter? Wii sells as much as 5x as much as PS3 by month and suddenly that doesn't matter, because of "non-gamers". Numbers don't lie.

You're mistaken. I said the series is stale, not that I hate it. It's rather got some good ideas, but after two iterations of such huge games, there's got to be some streamlining and visual appeal added, or something. Typical eastern design holding onto broken gameplay elements out of laziness or some sense of "nostalgia".

Yet, Microsoft was able to support SNK with those releases by coming to a comprimise and bundling the games. Not 2D related, but Sony also effectively killed Working Designs by denying the release of their goemon game that they had spent a great deal on and subsequently were not able to release/profit from.

Opinion. It's a great deal for a minority of the market that has an HDTV and wants a Blu-Ray player more than games. That's why it's been selling to a minority of the market for almost a year now. It's a very logical conclusion to come to based on what we know.

You're generalizing about an audience and games like Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime 3 have performed quite well to this "mostly casual" audience. Wii still has a larger marketshare in japan and Disgaea would sell better on it. End of story.

It's my opinion that if Guilty Gear and Odin Sphere, both coming from fairly small developer/publishers, are able to make high resolution art for a 2D game, Disgaea should have no problem. There's no excuse.

Did you honestly believe Square's excuse? They don't provide their back catalog because they regularly sell full priced remakes of these games and make a ton doing it. It has nothing to do with "not using your own cash" or "people being confused" it has everything to do with FF3 on DS, FF4 on DS, and the two FF remakes on PSP, all sold for $30-40 apeice.[/QUOTE]

OH GOD A DIFFERING OPINION~!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS MANA KNIGHT!! With you tail between your legs, coward.

LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA LA LA

I hear that's real popular on the playground too, these days.

$30 is the magic number for this game. It won't be that price, though.

They say it should be a $30 or less game but I'm sure they never said the same about Disgaea on PS2 which most say looks like a PS1 game. The game sold well and did well at $50, I'm sure you guys made topics on how it should have been $30 huh? Yeah right.

They have basically confirmed Disgaea for the DS and said they are looking at the Wii. You have Disgaea on PS3, PS2, and PSP. NIS is being more than fair. Just the usual sour grapes from xbox/nintendo fans not wanting the PS3 to get any games.

I spent 100 hours on Disgaea. Disgaea 3 deserves to be $50 if it can do the same. Better than paying $60 for all these under 10 hour games coming out lately. If you don't like to level grind or fight extra bosses or whatever that's your choice but Disgaea offers great bang for the buck regardless of the graphics.

[quote name='zerolens']They say it should be a $30 or less game but I'm sure they never said the same about Disgaea on PS2 which most say looks like a PS1 game. The game sold well and did well at $50, I'm sure you guys made topics on how it should have been $30 huh? Yeah right.

They have basically confirmed Disgaea for the DS and said they are looking at the Wii. You have Disgaea on PS3, PS2, and PSP. NIS is being more than fair. Just the usual sour grapes from xbox/nintendo fans not wanting the PS3 to get any games.

I spent 100 hours on Disgaea. Disgaea 3 deserves to be $50 if it can do the same. Better than paying $60 for all these under 10 hour games coming out lately. If you don't like to level grind or fight extra bosses or whatever that's your choice but Disgaea offers great bang for the buck regardless of the graphics.[/QUOTE]Haha so true, and jer happens to be the one feeling that way right now. :lol:

QFT though. I like Disgaea because it's fun and long. Why do short games with impressive graphics get a pass while this game does not (which will definitely be longer)? Who knows.

Also, bringing this to PS3 opens the possibility for download content, which would be nice for a Disgaea.

[quote name='zerolens']They say it should be a $30 or less game but I'm sure they never said the same about Disgaea on PS2 which most say looks like a PS1 game. The game sold well and did well at $50, I'm sure you guys made topics on how it should have been $30 huh? Yeah right.

I spent 100 hours on Disgaea. Disgaea 3 deserves to be $50 if it can do the same. Better than paying $60 for all these under 10 hour games coming out lately. If you don't like to level grind or fight extra bosses or whatever that's your choice but Disgaea offers great bang for the buck regardless of the graphics.[/QUOTE]

Disgaea I & II did pretty good on PS2, because the PS2 has a huge install base and is crazy popular in both Japan & the US. PS3 is nothing like the PS2, in any way shape, or form (besides the name). The PS3 has a crap install base in both territories, not to mention that the people that bought a PS3, did so because it's a graphical powerhouse (or Blu-Ray), and they sure as hell don't want anything resembling Disgaea 3.

What people are trying to get across is that it would probably do way better on Wii, PS2 or one of the portables (BTW I love all this mention of 360, yet no has mentioned it except the Sony Fanboys).

If they want to drop it on PS3, then go the Warhawk route and offer it as Down loadable for $40, or as a Special edition BRD loaded with tons & tons of extras for $60.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Disgaea I & II did pretty good on PS2, because the PS2 has a huge install base and is crazy popular in both Japan & the US. PS3 is nothing like the PS2, in any way shape, or form (besides the name). The PS3 has a crap install base in both territories, not to mention that the people that bought a PS3, did so because it's a graphical powerhouse (or Blu-Ray), and they sure as hell don't want anything resembling Disgaea 3.

What people are trying to get across is that it would probably do way better on Wii, PS2 or one of the portables (BTW I love all this mention of 360, yet no has mentioned it except the Sony Fanboys).

If they want to drop it on PS3, then go the Warhawk route and offer it as Down loadable for $40, or as a Special edition BRD loaded with tons & tons of extras for $60.[/QUOTE]

This game at $50 on the PS2 or Wii is ok to you and others in here. But put it on the PS3 all of a sudden it should be under $50? Every game is required to use blu-ray, why should how much space it uses have any bearing on the cost? Did Disgaea push the PS2 to the limits?

It comes down to one thing, the game isn't available to many people because it requires a PS3. That's it. It has nothing to do with using the PS3's potential. Putting Disgaea 3 on the PS2 no one in here would be ranting. It's just another day and another game for NIS. But putting it on PS3 and cutting off some people from playing it then here comes the complaints.

Disgaea 2 was 6800 yen and so is Disgaea 3. Same thing except one is PS2 and one is PS3. Again Disgaea 3 for $50 on PS2 wouldn't receive complaints, on PS3 it should be below $50? It's the same game, different systems. People are making excuses when it's simply about not having a PS3. If someone does have a PS3 and is complaining then it makes no sense, you simply wait for a price drop and buy it at the price they think it's worth. No one is forcing them to buy it at a higher price.

[quote name='zerolens']This game at $50 on the PS2 or Wii is ok to you and others in here. But put it on the PS3 all of a sudden it should be under $50? Every game is required to use blu-ray, why should how much space it uses have any bearing on the cost? Did Disgaea push the PS2 to the limits?

It comes down to one thing, the game isn't available to many people because it requires a PS3. That's it. It has nothing to do with using the PS3's potential. Putting Disgaea 3 on the PS2 no one in here would be ranting. It's just another day and another game for NIS. But putting it on PS3 and cutting off some people from playing it then here comes the complaints.

Disgaea 2 was 6800 yen and so is Disgaea 3. Same thing except one is PS2 and one is PS3. Again Disgaea 3 for $50 on PS2 wouldn't receive complaints, on PS3 it should be below $50? It's the same game, different systems. People are making excuses when it's simply about not having a PS3. If someone does have a PS3 and is complaining then it makes no sense, you simply wait for a price drop and buy it at the price they think it's worth. No one is forcing them to buy it at a higher price.[/QUOTE]QFT and very good post. People are only upset because Disgaea 3 is on PS3 and they don't have one. Any game going PS3 exclusive is bad for most, but good to me. :)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']QFT and very good post. People are only upset because Disgaea 3 is on PS3 and they don't have one. Any game going PS3 exclusive is bad for most, but good to me. :)[/QUOTE]

But in the long run you're insignificant. You're the type of guy that if Sony got into the nuclear business you would be begging them to bury the waste in your back yard.

It's funny to hear some PS3 people back peddle. When the Wii came out it was all about the graphics and how they sucked compared to the PS3. Now that a lower graphic game comes out on the PS3 it's not so much about the graphics anymore. Which is it?

[quote name='Blitz']It's funny to hear some PS3 people back peddle. When the Wii came out it was all about the graphics and how they sucked compared to the PS3. Now that a lower graphic game comes out on the PS3 it's not so much about the graphics anymore. Which is it?[/quote]Better to have both.

Allow devs to make the game as they want it.

This is the first game to come out that makes me want to get a PS3. IMO it only falls behind FF Tactics on the list of the best SRPGS ever

Just another reason for me to eventually get a PS3. Hopefully this will show other smaller Japanese developers that you CAN do RPG's on the PS3 without spending billions of dollars. I would kill for another Shadow Hearts game on the PS3.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']QFT and very good post. People are only upset because Disgaea 3 is on PS3 and they don't have one. Any game going PS3 exclusive is bad for most, but good to me. :)[/quote]

Jesus, anyone else missing the whole point of this discussion as much as you seem to be?

[quote name='schuerm26']Jesus, anyone else missing the whole point of this discussion as much as you seem to be?[/QUOTE]

People are making a point that the game doesn't take advantage of the PS3 or it will hurt NIS so they don't want it on the PS3. That's bull. They're upset because they don't have a PS3 and don't want to buy one. You take a PS2 game like Tomb Raider Anniversary and release it on the Wii and 360 and no one cares. Why? Because basically everyone can play the game.

As of now Disgaea 3 is exclusive to PS3 so the people who don't plan to get one are upset. Has absolutely nothing to do with graphics. If it was offered on multiple platforms the graphics on the PS3 version no longer matter. The graphics are all of a sudden acceptable because they could pick up a PS2 or Wii version or whatever. And no one here actually cares about NIS as a company as some would argue since they rant about it not being worth full price. Yeah that'll really help out NIS won't it?

People want it on their console of choice, everyone is hiding behind various excuses but that's really the bottomline here.

... I kinda wish we were talking about the GAME more, honestly.

I'm hoping it will have the georama system, personally. Loved setting off chain reactions.

[quote name='zerolens']People are making a point that the game doesn't take advantage of the PS3 or it will hurt NIS so they don't want it on the PS3. That's bull. They're upset because they don't have a PS3 and don't want to buy one. You take a PS2 game like Tomb Raider Anniversary and release it on the Wii and 360 and no one cares. Why? Because basically everyone can play the game.

As of now Disgaea 3 is exclusive to PS3 so the people who don't plan to get one are upset. Has absolutely nothing to do with graphics. If it was offered on multiple platforms the graphics on the PS3 version no longer matter. The graphics are all of a sudden acceptable because they could pick up a PS2 or Wii version or whatever. And no one here actually cares about NIS as a company as some would argue since they rant about it not being worth full price. Yeah that'll really help out NIS won't it?

People want it on their console of choice, everyone is hiding behind various excuses but that's really the bottomline here
.[/quote]

Well.. I think you may be overstating the motives of the people who question the choice of platform -- PS2, for this title, (as we currently see it, sans high def sprites, etc), would have made the most sense. It has the highest installed base, and there are no features that warrant the more expensive platform -- as a whole, NIS would stand to make more money on the game on the PS2 than the PS3. That general sentiment, at least, is my take on people questioning why it is on the PS3 -- not a whiney 'I don't WANT a PS3' tantrum. Questioning the choice does NOT neccesarily equate to whining about the choice.

That said, I hope that NIS shows some tangible advantage to having the game on the PS3, versus the PS2 or another platform, because currently it is a questionable choice.

The PS2 is severely lacking this Christmas compared to previous years and for obvious reasons. The PS3 is out and companies are moving away from the PS2. The PS2 is holding its own but it doesn't hold a candle to previous years IMO.

NIS will slowly start the transition away from the PS2 to current consoles. Unless you're still concentrating on the graphics there's nothing unusual at all about it. Every launch game and game released in a console's first year could be considered questionable when the previous console has more sales. Why even bother with a new console if companies won't take a risk and make games for it? Props to NIS for stepping up to the plate.

[quote name='zerolens']The PS2 is severely lacking this Christmas compared to previous years and for obvious reasons. The PS3 is out and companies are moving away from the PS2. The PS2 is holding its own but it doesn't hold a candle to previous years IMO.

NIS will slowly start the transition away from the PS2 to current consoles. Unless you're still concentrating on the graphics there's nothing unusual at all about it. Every launch game and game released in a console's first year could be considered questionable when the previous console has more sales. Why even bother with a new console if companies won't take a risk and make games for it? Props to NIS for stepping up to the plate.[/quote]

Thats not a bad point, all in all, but.. lets say resistance.. could not have been done on the PS2.

Disgaea 3 appears to be completly possible on the PS2 -- even the questionable launch titles pushed the graphical envelope at least

Eh, either way. the PS3 will die if they don't transition off the PS2, its just a shame that NIS (as it seems now) isn't even prettying up their sprites on their next outing.

Chances are I'll still buy the game eventually, despite that.

[quote name='Gourd']Does anyone have a lead on where to preorder this game?[/quote]

Play asia you can pre order the limited edition, but its japan, so language barrier -_-V

Not sure if you can switch languages though.. if you can.. im completely for pre ordering it

Anybody know if theres a language selection for the ps3 version in japan ??

I'll find out in a week or so. I pre-ordered the LE about a week ago and it looks like it's going to ship out tomorrow.

I'll post up some impressions (maybe screenshots if I can figure that out) and some pics of the LE
v.gif

man, disgaea 3... wish i had $$$ for a ps3 now...

anyways, i guess i'm in the minority for just loving the deep gameplay on the first two and wasn't too bothered by the graphics... still, a discount price wouldn't hurt.

I hope the Japanese version has English support. I remember when I imported a certain PS3 game it automatically had it in English because my PS3 is the US version, but the game has to have English support to do that.

bread's done
Back