DVD/Blu Digital / Ultraviolet Code Discussion Thread

If you buy a movie on CinemaNow that has UV next to description, does that mean you should get a copy on CinemaNow as well as in your UV account to gain access elsewhere?

[quote name='bfett9']If you buy a movie on CinemaNow that has UV next to description, does that mean you should get a copy on CinemaNow as well as in your UV account to gain access elsewhere?[/QUOTE]

From what I understand yes but did not work on acouple for me.
Knk

So Cinemanow have me some movie credits for a screw up a while back (not related to this credit issue), I bought the LOTR EE Trilogy, but I only see them in cinema-now not on my UV account.

[quote name='CamelGod']The website seems to be completely down now. Resolution on the horizon maybe?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Nchap2']I just called and they said 3-4 hours until its fixed. I'm still not confident in that[/QUOTE]

The website is working for me, but the credits are still MIA. I wonder if the 3 - 4 hour time window will actually pan out.

Problem\Question:
Balance lost.

We apologyze for this. We don't have access to your credit.
We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
The BestBuy CinemaNow Support Team

:\ Also when I contacted them by phone they had no data on me ever contacting them before even though I have twice before. On important stuff I tend to write that down but cinemanow I'll just take it as a lose and not worth my time to ever deal with them again if its not fixed easily or on its own.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Problem\Question:
Balance lost.

We apologyze for this. We don't have access to your credit.
We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
The BestBuy CinemaNow Support Team

:\ Also when I contacted them by phone they had no data on me ever contacting them before even though I have twice before. On important stuff I tend to write that down but cinemanow I'll just take it as a lose and not worth my time to ever deal with them again if its not fixed easily or on its own.[/QUOTE]

They can't even spell apologize right. All hope is lost.

Last night they sent a message asking how much I had in store credit. Do they have no idea? I responded right away. This morning I get a message to clear my cache and try another browser. What? I called in (I have now tried chat, email and phone) and the guy was seemingly clueless as to the problem. He asked if that solved the problem. What a joke. I asked him to check my account on his end to see if I had a credit. He said he needed my password... and then confirmed that I had $0 in credit. Now I'm escalated to technical support (again).

Worst service ever.

[quote name='spatenfloot']Why would anyone have hundreds of dollars in cinemanow credit?[/QUOTE]

There was a guy selling $25 to $35 worth of credit for ~$5. A lot of people stocked up. Personally, I had used all of my credit save for the last batch I purchased. I contacted the seller, but have not received a reply. I was able to file a dispute with Paypal. Hopefully, I receive a refund. Anyone else purchase credit from John?

[quote name='kerouac kid']There was a guy selling $25 to $35 worth of credit for ~$5. A lot of people stocked up. Personally, I had used all of my credit save for the last batch I purchased. I contacted the seller, but have not received a reply. I was able to file a dispute with Paypal. Hopefully, I receive a refund. Anyone else purchase credit from John?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure you can escalate to paypal without BB specifically stating fraud was the reason for the credit's disappearance, lets face it, at this point it's the cinemanow website at fault.

[quote name='kerouac kid']There was a guy selling $25 to $35 worth of credit for ~$5. A lot of people stocked up. Personally, I had used all of my credit save for the last batch I purchased. I contacted the seller, but have not received a reply. I was able to file a dispute with Paypal. Hopefully, I receive a refund. Anyone else purchase credit from John?[/QUOTE]

He has a new email now if it's the same guy I'm thinking of?

CinemaNow Man or something like that is his gimmick now.

I bought over $1000 in credit off him in the past several months.

Everything was great until now. Doesn't mean it's his fault yet though because no one knows.

[quote name='stoned99']I'm not sure you can escalate to paypal without BB specifically stating fraud was the reason for the credit's disappearance, lets face it, at this point it's the cinemanow website at fault.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rdlee']He has a new email now if it's the same guy I'm thinking of?

CinemaNow Man or something like that is his gimmick now.

I bought over $1000 in credit off him in the past several months.

Everything was great until now. Doesn't mean it's his fault yet though because no one knows.[/QUOTE]

It's the same guy I purchased the codes from. When I called I was told the codes were invalid. Also, I still had several codes that I had not activated. When I tried to activate a code there was no credit added to the account. Therefore, the code is not valid. I'm not accusing the guy of fraud or anything, but I don't want to pay for something that I did not get.

I encourage everyone that is having problems with the credit issue to contact Cinemanow and Rovi on their FB page and messaging them through that page... I got a response from someone in the US that assured me she would personally look into things... Seems she manages both pages... Just another option... But who knows?

[quote name='kerouac kid']It's the same guy I purchased the codes from. When I called I was told the codes were invalid. Also, I still had several codes that I had not activated. When I tried to activate a code there was no credit added to the account. Therefore, the code is not valid. I'm not accusing the guy of fraud or anything, but I don't want to pay for something that I did not get.[/QUOTE]

People have been getting free HD rental and purchase codes directly from CinemaNow since this mess started and those codes don't work either so take that for what it's worth.

Looks like there is quite a big problem going on with them this weekend.

Latest update in the drama that is CinemaNow... (spoiler alert - there is NO update)

Chat Transcript
Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Carlos Cabrera.

Carlos Cabrera: Thank you very much for contacting customer support, may I please have your full name, e-mail address and device information (brand and type)?

Customer: [omitted]

Carlos Cabrera: Thank you for providing me with this information. How may I assist you today?

Customer: I have had a support ticket open (#1614328) for three days without a response. I'm checking the status of my support inquiry.

Carlos Cabrera: Please allow me a moment while I verify this for you. Thank you.

Carlos Cabrera: Ok, I will make an Update on your case so the Technical Department can get back to you, as soonas they can solve this issue for you.

Customer: How can I contact the technical department directly? Or a supervisor? Or someone who can help? It's been three days and no one has made any effort to resolve the issue.

Carlos Cabrera: I apologize for the inconvenience, I will ask you to please wait until they get back to you via email, with an Resolution for the case.

Customer: So there is no number at which the "technical department" can be reached directly?

Customer: Carlos?

Carlos Cabrera: I apologize for the inconvenience, but the only way you could get to them its making an comment, on your case.

Customer: How do you suggest I purchase content on your website while I wait for my [amount omitted] that was erased from my account?

Carlos Cabrera: I will send the case directly myself to the Technical Department.

Customer: That's what the last customer support agent told me. So there is nothing you can do to remedy this situation?

Customer: ?

Carlos Cabrera: The only thing I could do at the moment, its redirect the case to the Technical Department.

Customer: What is the new ticket support number?

Carlos Cabrera: Case Number 1614328

Customer: Do you have a supervisor that can be contacted?

Customer: Carlos, I'm sorry to rush you, but this conversation has lasted nearly a half an hour already. Do you have a supervisor, and if so, how can he/she be contacted?

Carlos Cabrera: Yes, Please allow me one moment.

Carlos Cabrera: The supervisor on floor its about to take the session.

Customer: No problem.

Karen: Thank you very much for the waiting time, How may I assist you?

Customer: Hi Karen. This past weekend I contacted customer service after $[amount omitted] in store credit was erased from my account. I immediately contacted customer service, at which time I was told my problem couldn't bee immediately solved, and that a support ticket would be forwarded to the technical department.

Customer: I received a support ticket confirmation e-mail which indicated I would be contacted in 24 - 72 hours. I have yet to be contacted, and I'm extremely concerned with the status of my missing store credit.

Karen: We apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing. Thank you very much for the informacion, right now sir our technnical support team is worrking to fix yhis noun issue.

Customer: So there is nothing you can do to help me?

Karen: Sir, In that case what I will do until the issue is being resolve I will provide you 2 rental coupons

Customer: I don't want any rental coupons Karen; I would like my [amount omitted] in store credit returned.

Karen: Yes sir, and the money will be on your library soon.

Customer: I appreciate the offer though. Who is in charge of customer service for CinemaNow? Is there someone I can contact directly about this issue?

Customer: Is there a physical building address that I can send a letter to? Or maybe a phone number to your corporate headquarters?

Karen: Sir, I am in charge right now and I can see that the case I will speak to my technnical support team to assist you as soon as possible

Customer: Can I have your last name for purposes of documentation? I am keeping a log of my correspondence with customer service, as I am at this point very concerned with the status of my store credit.

Customer: In case I speak with anyone in the future, I'd like to reference our conversation specifically.

Karen: Yes sir, My last name is Cabrera and every call, every chat is documented.

Customer: Okay, so the same last name as Carlos. One last question. You mentioned that the missing store credit will be "returned to (my) library soon" - do you know when I can expect it to become available again?

Karen: Yes sir, but we are not from the same family. Im sorry sir, it is going to be on your account.

Karen: Right now we do not have an estimated time but it will be there soon

Customer: Okay

Karen: Thank you very much for your patience

I will be posting my correspondence with these two "customer support agents" on CinemaNow's Facebook wall. I suggest everyone keep logs of their interactions with CinemaNow customer support - if enough of us keep providing evidence of their HORRIBLE customer service practices, maybe we could get something accomplished. Just maybe...

P.S. My conversation with Carlos Cabrera and "Karen", despite it's apparent brevity, took 47 minutes from start to finish.

EDIT: Shortly after our conversation concluded I received (via e-mail) two coupon codes for SD movie rentals. I'm not redeeming these coupons, as I'm sure they'll try to hold it against me at some point in the future. Also I omitted the total amount of store credit I lost, primarily because I'm a little embarrassed how much I spent on these stupid credits! Those of you who caught it before the edit will understand exactly why I'm so angry :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
1500$ seriously, even at the rates CM was charging thats a hefty investment on your part for things delivered electronically that could be taken back. good luck, I'm only in for 80$ at this point. I posted on BestBuys facebook page, you should all post.

[quote name='kerouac kid']It's the same guy I purchased the codes from. When I called I was told the codes were invalid. Also, I still had several codes that I had not activated. When I tried to activate a code there was no credit added to the account. Therefore, the code is not valid. I'm not accusing the guy of fraud or anything, but I don't want to pay for something that I did not get.[/QUOTE]

Seems like you have an argument to get refunded for the codes that don't redeem. But I think the codes are somehow related to the problem. There must be 10K$ out there easily based upon the activity in this thread alone.

Has anyone with non "questionable" Cinemanow credit had theirs taken away? Just curious. I got mine from Cinemaman and mine is gone. I wonder if someone who bought their credit from something like a prepaid card at Best Buy had it removed as well?

[quote name='ZiggyZig']Haha, sigh.... yes[/QUOTE]

I honestly feel bad for you, I know I was so tempted to jump in deep, especially with the DVD 2 Digital program. the only thing slowing me down was the limited list of convertibles and no bluray yet.

[quote name='ZiggyZig']Latest update in the drama that is CinemaNow... (spoiler alert - there is NO update)

Customer: Can I have your last name for purposes of documentation?

Karen: Yes sir, My last name is Cabrera and every call, every chat is documented.

Customer: Okay, so the same last name as Carlos.

Karen: Yes sir, but we are not from the same family.[/QUOTE]

The rep I chatted with on Saturday was "Elvido Cabrera"... WTF???

I talked to the CinemaNow guy tonight at his old email address.

He said this:

"Not my codes because i contacted a few other sellers that where selling codes on ebay and they also informed me that they as well are having issues with the codes disappearing off the accounts. I tried entering a few codes i had left to see if they would redeem it looks to redeem fine but the credit stays at $0 when i contacted CN they told me they would work on a resolution and open a ticket for tech support this was 2 days ago and still no answer.guy told me he thought it could be a glitch which is what i am hoping for. But i guess only time will tell.if i get any info i will let you know."

PayPal's buyer protection states -

What’s not eligible? Buyer Protection does not cover certain kinds of purchases. These include: digital goods (intangible items)

[quote name='emmikay']PayPal's buyer protection states -

What’s not eligible? Buyer Protection does not cover certain kinds of purchases. These include: digital goods (intangible items)[/QUOTE]

That is definitely useful information to know...AHEAD OF TIME...:D

We are having the same problem and the same run around from customer support. We have spent hours on live chat and phone. If one more person tells me to "log out, clear the cache, then log in again" I will lose it. They need to fix the problem. And if codes are redeeming, but the balance stays at zero then it is CinemaNow, not the codes. All of the people on chat have been foreign and I spoke with Karen today and she said the same BS as the others............your case has been escalated to Tier 2, tech is working as fast as they can to fix the issue, blah blah blah. She also said she would send us a code for a free rental, BUT we never got that either. We had about $300 left on our balance. Also, we received the same email about the problem being fixed............how in the heck is it fixed when the balance still says $0.

You guys might be the first example of digital content. Good luck with what seems to be a potential class action law suit.

I don't know why someone would have hundreds of dollars in some niche digital store. My dad told me from a kid not to sit a long time on gamestop credit even when I explained to him it was a huge franchise.

Problem nowadays is people consider paypal and amazon credit currency. A pirates life for me.

$25-$35 credit trading for $5 no matter how niche the store sounds too good to me type of deal. That ratio is a red flag to me.

That's paying 15% people don't even trade at double that with amazon, best buy, and other gift card credit.

[quote name='emmikay']PayPal's buyer protection states -

What’s not eligible? Buyer Protection does not cover certain kinds of purchases. These include: digital goods (intangible items)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='chnandler_bong']That is definitely useful information to know...AHEAD OF TIME...:D[/QUOTE]

It is not as cut and dry as that. CM offered "certificates" that were valued at xx.xx each. Each certificate was redeemable for Cinema Now credit. Paypal covers physical items (certificates) that are redeemable digitally. Gift cards/certificates are a prime example. CM is not allowed to offer digitally transferred goods for sale nor is he allowed to offer goods that cannot be physically delivered unless he has a license to do so. Otherwise it is viewed by PayPal as a violation of copyright laws. The responsibility would be levied upon CM to prove he delivered the goods if one were to file a dispute.

Facebook response from BB

Best Buy commented on your Wall post.
Best Buy wrote: "Hello Mark, CinemaNow has their own customer support that can be reached by calling their phone number (1-877-793-7485). There is also an email format you can use by clicking the following link http://bbyurl.us/qn2 I hope this information helps. -Derald"

Maybe this will shed some light on the issue of what is going on with the disappearing credits. I sent them a message on facebook and here is the response they gave (though when I contacted live chat today I was told the same thing about tech working on it and they would be in touch in 24 to 48 hours).

Hi xxxxxxx,

Thanks for reaching out. Can you let me know where you received the codes for the CinemaNow credit? Can you also provide your CN user name or email address so we can take a look at the account? We have an active investigation into some fraud right now.

Thanks,
The CinemaNow Team

So......this is the support's response on facebook and the chat support still says the same thing.

Saying the word fraud out loud is something new, hopefully they come to the POV that the customers did not commit fraud, but rather were the victims of fraud.

[quote name='stoned99']Saying the word fraud out loud is something new, hopefully they come to the POV that the customers did not commit fraud, but rather were the victims of fraud.[/QUOTE]

Yes we agree. Will post if we hear anything different.

[quote name='RandyNDee']Maybe this will shed some light on the issue of what is going on with the disappearing credits. I sent them a message on facebook and here is the response they gave (though when I contacted live chat today I was told the same thing about tech working on it and they would be in touch in 24 to 48 hours).

Hi xxxxxxx,

Thanks for reaching out. Can you let me know where you received the codes for the CinemaNow credit? Can you also provide your CN user name or email address so we can take a look at the account? We have an active investigation into some fraud right now.

Thanks,
The CinemaNow Team

So......this is the support's response on facebook and the chat support still says the same thing.[/QUOTE]

I just got an email following up on my open case asking where I bought the gift cards. Told them I got them as a gift so I didn't know. We'll see what happens...

I have never used CinemaNow, but I understand the concept of it. This screams of fraud in my eyes. Selling $25-35 credit for $5 just sounds like a "buy this stuff before the cops copy...so it's 75% off". He got rid of the goods, got the money, and left others holding the bag.

The issue is, if this is indeed the case, there isn't much anyone can do about it but file disputes with ebay/PayPal/CC/Bank. Best Buy was the victim as well as the buyers, the only real culprit is the seller on eBay or wherever. As such I do not think Best Buy will give any compensation for the situation due to them already being on the short end of this stick.

I hope this isn't the case, but to me that is what it sounds like.

[quote name='ruli02']I just got an email following up on my open case asking where I bought the gift cards. Told them I got them as a gift so I didn't know. We'll see what happens...[/QUOTE]

Why so cagey, shouldn't you just say from ebay seller. At this point if they are researching fraud I don't think you want to seem evasive.

I know when I bought my 1st batch I was a little apprehensive, but he only had a small batch and sold them quickly on ebay, so it never screamed fraud (I figured gift, etc), but then in the last round I noticed he was selling them at a steeper discount and seemed to be selling a ton, so my attitude changed to be a little more suspicious. Whats odd is it seems like CinemaNow had no idea things were up until they did whatever screwed up the system, and only with the in depth research did they realize things were amiss. If they contact me I'll share the sellers email. If the codes were legit, then everything will turn out ok. I'm also fairly certain the seller has an account on here as I've seen a few posts promoting him that seemed out of nowhere.

Some of my credit balance was from a legit code from purchasing a lg bluray player. I've been in contact with them over facebook. Not dealing with their phone or live chat support anymore.

[quote name='stoned99']Why so cagey, shouldn't you just say from ebay seller. At this point if they are researching fraud I don't think you want to seem evasive.

I know when I bought my 1st batch I was a little apprehensive, but he only had a small batch and sold them quickly on ebay, so it never screamed fraud (I figured gift, etc), but then in the last round I noticed he was selling them at a steeper discount and seemed to be selling a ton, so my attitude changed to be a little more suspicious. Whats odd is it seems like CinemaNow had no idea things were up until they did whatever screwed up the system, and only with the in depth research did they realize things were amiss. If they contact me I'll share the sellers email. If the codes were legit, then everything will turn out ok. I'm also fairly certain the seller has an account on here as I've seen a few posts promoting him that seemed out of nowhere.[/QUOTE]
We also knew him on ebay, but his name has been changed. More than likely, you are right. It probably should have been some sort of "warning" selling codes so cheap. Well, it was fun while it lasted though.

i think cinaman works for paypal or ebay cause i filed a claim against him and in a span of 30min he won ive never seen a claim go threw so fast.
oh and he has changd his name before cinamaman
1st one was rrodr75
2nd cinamanowman
3rd sellingeverything305
really suspicious i will never fall for something like this again

So it looks like cinemaman has killed his gmail account. Just sent a follow up question and got the email does not exist response from gmail. So paypal's response seems a little odd as clearly this guy committed fraud.

Interestingly, the ebay account is still up where I bought my 1st code. So everyone who bought initially via ebay needs to contact ebay. His account is sellingeverything305

Correction I think this is a she, specifically Francisca King (I checked my paypal transaction and she's the name associated), she also has a facebook account that based upon some other info I remember seeing shows her living in homestead / florida

[quote name='stoned99']So it looks like cinemaman has killed his gmail account. Just sent a follow up question and got the email does not exist response from gmail. So paypal's response seems a little odd as clearly this guy committed fraud.

Interestingly, the ebay account is still up where I bought my 1st code. So everyone who bought initially via ebay needs to contact ebay. His account is sellingeverything305

Correction I think this is a she, specifically Francisca King (I checked my paypal transaction and she's the name associated), she also has a facebook account that based upon some other info I remember seeing shows her living in homestead / florida[/QUOTE]

The only thing keeping me from doing any cases against him/her at this point is the fact that people on Blu-Ray.com have went to Best Buy yesterday and purchased REAL Cinemanow codes to try and they don't work either.

[quote name='rdlee']The only thing keeping me from doing any cases against him/her at this point is the fact that people on Blu-Ray.com have went to Best Buy yesterday and purchased REAL Cinemanow codes to try and they don't work either.[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt CinemaNow is screwed up, but killing her email, just seems to confirm suspicions.

More info from eBay seller.

Stoned99,

The codes have not been deemed fraudulent as i have many transcripts of conversations with them and they are working on getting the balances back into everyone's account my account as well was affected by this. No where in Cinemanow's terms and condition does it say anything about codes not being able to be sold once purchased or obtained. So how could they be fraud? Just give them the chance to work on the problem and lets see if all goes back to normal.

- sellingeverything305

I would like to see the conversations he/she claims to have b/c CinemaNow has said in a message that they are not legit. Fraud. And the reason no codes (even legit ones) are working has something to do with the fraud investigation. From what the CinemaNow people said on fb, it seems they froze the entire site (from codes) until they get it sorted out. Even coupon codes are not working.

Seems odd that he changed his name on ebay the same day that everyone's credits were reset to $0. Check it out. Ebay has it listed.

bread's done
Back