Fallout: New Vegas - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='shieryda']Just be sure to check gamerankings.com (or metacritic) during Christmas week. That's what I'll be doing before deciding on additional content. I don't even have the retail game yet, but whatever.[/QUOTE]

What are these site? I'm at work and can't look them up right now, just give me a synopsis.

I'm betting that they release the patch the day they release the DLC. It'll likely enable the DLC to "work" as well. And by "work", I mean crash frequently.

92 hours in, level 27, haven't even
killed Benny yet.
:)

Why didnt they think of putting in a companion location marker or button? That would save me so much time and effort when they vanish and I cant find them. Just lost about 20 min of gameplay because I walked into the hoover dam which apparently requires about 10 loading screens to get to Moore and back out again and some where in there both EDE and Boone are gone.

Try to do the fast travel trick and it didnt work.

Yes, thank you. They really need something like that. Either a marker or an ability to retrieve them or whatever. There were a couple of times where I had to reload a previous save, because someone got lost, and I had no clue where.

And yes, the Hoover Dam is so annoying to navigate. So is the Strip, as you mentioned earlier.

Also, I just killed Benny and got to level 30. I started the end game so will be finishing up shortly. I will say this, the end game is much better than the 40 or so hours leading up to it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yes, thank you. They really need something like that. Either a marker or an ability to retrieve them or whatever. There were a couple of times where I had to reload a previous save, because someone got lost, and I had no clue where.

And yes, the Hoover Dam is so annoying to navigate. So is the Strip, as you mentioned earlier.[/QUOTE]

Too bad you can't just whistle for them (like you can for your horse in Red Dead).:D

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']They compile and average out the review scores from various sites and publications.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

And yeah even though I haven't had any problems with my compantions leaving me or wandering off, but a whistle or call feature could have been interesting/fun.

Whats that, Mini Map?

OH!! You wanted me to go right, left, right, up those flight of steps, around the back side, find the hidden bridge through the mountain and then go through the door. But not left, up, down the flight of stairs and over the troll because thats lead to the 4 optional parts of the quest?

Since I dont read braille I couldnt get that from a straight dotted line.

So I just beat the game

A slideshow? Although I dont dislike it it does feel ackwards to put 70 plus hours into a game to get a 5min slide show. I also understand there is a ton of information there about everyone you came in contact with. Its not bad but I wish there was just a little more. Ah well.

Solid game with some problems, wished some things were different but they werent so meh. The story really came together at the end I just wish it was better leading up to it.

So I played through once on Normal, had two freezes and both came near the end.

I started today on Hardcore and had two near-freezes and one hard lock up and I hadn't left Goodsprings.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Whats that, Mini Map?

OH!! You wanted me to go right, left, right, up those flight of steps, around the back side, find the hidden bridge through the mountain and then go through the door. But not left, up, down the flight of stairs and over the troll because thats lead to the 4 optional parts of the quest?

Since I dont read braille I couldnt get that from a straight dotted line.[/QUOTE]

Lol

Congrats on beating the games....hitting that spoiler button is sooo tempting....

Went through Vault 34 last night. That has to be one of the most poorly designed areas in the entire game. It's linear, but so annoying to have radiation constantly, along with various twists and turns and glowing ghouls appearing behind you on a whim. Got the
All American and Plasma pistol (100 lock or key for box).
I honestly hope I never have to go back in that vault again.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Which one was that? The
radiation/ghoul
one?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I can't click on your spoiler yet....I JUST discovered it. I will tell you it's on the way to Jacobstown.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Went through Vault 34 last night. That has to be one of the most poorly designed areas in the entire game. It's linear, but so annoying to have radiation constantly, along with various twists and turns and glowing ghouls appearing behind you on a whim. Got the
All American and Plasma pistol (100 lock or key for box).
I honestly hope I never have to go back in that vault again.[/QUOTE]

Yea it was very poorly done... it is the ONLY time I actually went to my computer and looked up on some game forums how the fuck to get through it. My problem was that the
different computers had the same menu options but the sub-options under them were actually different.
Anyhow, at least it was worth the time... the weapon you get out of that 100 lockpick box is overwhelmingly good against certain enemies. If you really want it,
you can get the key by doing a quest for Veronica and the BoS...
you won't need 100 lockpick that way.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Yea it was very poorly done... it is the ONLY time I actually went to my computer and looked up on some game forums how the fuck to get through it. My problem was that the
different computers had the same menu options but the sub-options under them were actually different.
Anyhow, at least it was worth the time... the weapon you get out of that 100 lockpick box is overwhelmingly good against certain enemies. If you really want it,
you can get the key by doing a quest for Veronica and the BoS...
you won't need 100 lockpick that way.[/QUOTE]

For that key, you can also
sneak into Pearl's house at the AFB and steal it out of the filing cabinet. That's what I did and it worked flawlessly. I'm still idolized in that area.

I've got 8 unique weapons right now, but none that I use all too regularly. I tend to stick with the modified cowboy repeater for 99% of everything I do. I tried the hunting rifle and was very disappointed. I do plan on switching to the All American now however.

Im enjoying the YCS/186 and That Gun

Im getting close to the end, Mr House is done for
since he wants you to take down the Brotherhood of Steel so I killed him. So I gotta decide, yes man or NCR, NCR seems easiest...

Then its time for an evil play through, for companions is there anyone considered neutral/evil?

Its better
The end battle was
Interesting, the YS gun/sniper rifle and 10 frag mines made short work of the boss and his toadies. Wish I done the BOS stuff to get the power armor or well you can get by without it.

I primarily used the either the Anti-Material sniper rifle and the Gauss Rifle. That Gauss Rifle is one powerful weapon.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I screwed myself on vault 11. The
server glitch for unlimited xp shot me to level 30. The game is no longer fun.
[/QUOTE]

Start over?

[quote name='kube00']Unlimited XP? I"ll have to try this[/QUOTE]
If you activate the Vault 11 Mainframe off the Sacrificial Chamber and download the Automated Response more than once, it keeps repeating your reward of XPs unlimited times! Don't exit the terminal though as you can't access it again.

This still works btw.

So...I can't enter the strip. The game freezes and corrupts my auto save...I've tried uninstalling it from the HDD, playing form disc, going elsewhere, etc...

[quote name='SynGamer']So...I can't enter the strip. The game freezes and corrupts my auto save...I've tried uninstalling it from the HDD, playing form disc, going elsewhere, etc...[/QUOTE]

Where are you entering from? You might want to try the monorail at Camp McCarran if it hasn't
been blown up...

Discovered Sunset Sasparilla Bottling Company and I am collecting ALL the bottles and bottlecaps I can, I keep getting overencumbered and giving them to Rex & Boone then going to the Gun Runners and selling them, so far I have over 5,000 Bottlecaps!!!!

[quote name='SynGamer']So...I can't enter the strip. The game freezes and corrupts my auto save...I've tried uninstalling it from the HDD, playing form disc, going elsewhere, etc...[/QUOTE]

This happened to me. It's quest related.

Theres quest from the woman at the Atomic Wrangler to collect money from a Bounty Hunter on the strip. She wants you to bring back the guys hat as proff you did the job.

If you cant pass a speech check (I couldn't) you fight the guy and kill him and take his hat. You give the hat to the woman at the Wrangler and complete the quest.

If you do this, the game is now bugged and will crash every time you enter the strip. What you need to do is equip the hat he was wearing or one like it (since you give the hat up to complete the quest).

I had another one of these hats in my Novac home, so I just used that. I forget the name of the hat its 'something Cowboy Hat'.

If you wear the hat, you can enter and exit the strip again, no more hard freezes and no more corrupt auot save.

[quote name='Puffa469']This happened to me. It's quest related.

Theres quest from the woman at the Atomic Wrangler to collect money from a Bounty Hunter on the strip. She wants you to bring back the guys hat as proff you did the job.

If you cant pass a speech check (I couldn't) you fight the guy and kill him and take his hat. You give the hat to the woman at the Wrangler and complete the quest.

If you do this, the game is now bugged and will crash every time you enter the strip. What you need to do is equip the hat he was wearing or one like it (since you give the hat up to complete the quest).

I had another one of these hats in my Novac home, so I just used that. I forget the name of the hat its 'something Cowboy Hat'.

If you wear the hat, you can enter and exit the strip again, no more hard freezes and no more corrupt auot save.[/QUOTE]

I know this was a spoiler, but I have this quest, so thank you for the tip....I don't want a freeze.

[quote name='irratebass']I know this was a spoiler, but I have this quest, so thank you for the tip....I don't want a freeze.[/QUOTE]

I figured this was something everyone should know, so I didn't spoiler tag it. One small sidequest spoiled is worth not having to start your game over imo.

If you pass the speech check or otherwise don't kill the guy, then the glitch does not occur afaik. It's only if you kill the guy that you have to wear a similar hat to access the strip.

I had to busy myself away from the strip for 2 days before I complained on a forum somewhere (Kotaku?) and someone told me about the bug.

You can also read more about it on the Fallout Wiki http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Debt_Collector

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I read on Facebook that the DLC will raise the level cap.[/QUOTE]

Sexy. Any word on second patch progress?

I got this message last night after 21 hours of play and completing the Come Fly With Me quest,

"This save game relies on downloadable content that is no longer available. Some objects may be no longer available. Continue loading?" I select yes and then this pops up, "The storage device you have selected is no longer available. Load cancelled."

My hard drive is fine and loads everything else. But this is on both of my saves and has stopped play for me.
How can a game be up for awards for game of the year with this kind of bug?

Unless they patch in the next day or two I have to start all over again.

fuck this game and any DLC they come out with.

[quote name='Slappybob']I got this message last night after 21 hours of play and completing the Come Fly With Me quest,

"This save game relies on downloadable content that is no longer available. Some objects may be no longer available. Continue loading?" I select yes and then this pops up, "The storage device you have selected is no longer available. Load cancelled."

My hard drive is fine and loads everything else. But this is on both of my saves and has stopped play for me.
How can a game be up for awards for game of the year with this kind of bug?

Unless they patch in the next day or two I have to start all over again.

fuck this game and any DLC they come out with.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to my world. :(

I wouldn't bother starting over. I'd just put the game aside until they patch it. That is a major bug that a lot of people have run into, so it is definitely going to get fixed. When? Don't know, but I think it would be worth the wait and not starting over.

[quote name='Puffa469']Don't bring Boone with you next time. He's NCR and thats who they were attacking on sight, not you. This happened to me when Ceasar invited me. I had to reload a save and leave Boone behind, then I was not attacked.[/QUOTE]

damn i didnt think of that, its way too late for that I am about 13 hours past it and I really like Boone as my companion. I have noticed that when you go into the Lucky 38 your companions stay there unless you tell them to follow you. Is it possible to go get other companions and park them all there and choose who you want with you per situation? I havent tried it but I was wondering it yesterday as I left went to a mission and looked like where in the fuck ing hell is boone?

I havent had any glitches per say but jesus h christ after you play for a while, it must take 2 fuck ing minutes to load an area. I cleared my cache and everything. If I turn the system off and start over it is fine but after an hour its slow as molasses to load anything

[quote name='Kezmer']damn i didnt think of that, its way too late for that I am about 13 hours past it and I really like Boone as my companion. I have noticed that when you go into the Lucky 38 your companions stay there unless you tell them to follow you. Is it possible to go get other companions and park them all there and choose who you want with you per situation? I havent tried it but I was wondering it yesterday as I left went to a mission and looked like where in the fuck ing hell is boone?

I havent had any glitches per say but jesus h christ after you play for a while, it must take 2 fuck ing minutes to load an area. I cleared my cache and everything. If I turn the system off and start over it is fine but after an hour its slow as molasses to load anything[/QUOTE]

You can definitely choose companions based on the circumstances. That's what the game intends. When you dismiss a follower, you can choose to have them wait at the Lucky 38 suite, or wherever you first met them.

I usually have them go back to where I met them because I don't use the Lucky 38 home (too much loading to get into/out of). I make my home in Novac, and I have Boone wait for me there when I need to do something without him. He just chills in the Dinosaur while I run around with Cass,or Lily or whoever.

Man, after beating this my drive to play it again just dropped completely off. I have saves that I could us but I usually start from the beginning when doing another run.

Also about the ending..
My final battle was pretty damn shitty. I talked to the guy in the mask and wound up speech checking him to simply go away. I mean I guess thats cool that they made that an option but it caught me off guard to not have a final battle.

[quote name='irratebass']No one commented so I will...that was pretty funny.....how did they make them dance? Is this an option on the PC version?[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I watched the Just Dance video and it was hilarious. Let's assume it was done on the PC..

Hypothetically, let's say someone played the hell out of Fallout 3 but never got around to to playing any of the expansions. If you had to recommend either New Vegas or the Fallout 3 GOTY, based on both value and awesomeness, which would you suggest?

FO3 by far is simply the better game BUT since you already played FO3 I would go with new vegas then. Vegas isnt a bad game its just the same game with a different costume.

I found The Brotherhood of Steel last night...good times! Opened up a few fun quests. Just as I was getting bored in Nipton, I decided to go explore and it paid off. I did have to cheat since my buddy told me the city they were at, but he didn't tell me how to find them so I read the wikia.

bread's done
Back