Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

Aren't many tips to give honestly, just come back if you need any help on a boss fight as they can be a little challenging.

It's a straight forward game, shouldn't be a problem to get through. If it isn't pulling you in after a few hours I'd save yourself the following 40 hours of your time though. People say it gets great after 20 or so hours but if an intro that intense doesn't draw you in I'd just advise you to put it down there.

Getting so close... I've got the accessories sewn up except for three or four, so I'm working on weapons in earnest. I've only won two trapezohedrons so far, but if I get one more, then I can always just dismantle Genji Gloves for the last three, if I've already got everything else.

I worked the kinks out of my Shaolong Gui method, the key ended up being Superiority (SAB/SYN/SYN) instead of trying to alternate between SAB/SAB/SAB and SYN/SYN/SYN. Much more efficient. With one starred Kaiser Knuckle on Fang, she was hitting for up to 344,000 damage in a single strike, and Sazh's Stagger Maintenance II ensured that I could finish it off on the first stagger.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']Woot woot school is out so i'm finally getting into FFXIII. I bought it at launch but it has remained sealed until today. :D

Any tips for a nub? A little apprehensive to play though considering the mixed reviews..this better be worth $60 :mad:[/QUOTE]

As much as I LOVED the game... don't pay $60 for it -.-

Only tip early on would be to use Libra to scan stuff if you care about a complete bestiary.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']Woot woot school is out so i'm finally getting into FFXIII. I bought it at launch but it has remained sealed until today. :D

Any tips for a nub? A little apprehensive to play though considering the mixed reviews..this better be worth $60 :mad:[/QUOTE]

I just platinum'd the game yesterday after 90 hours of play, it's definitely not worth $60. I got the game for free and still thought it was one of the weakest entries in the FF series.

No tips required for this game, everything is pretty much easy mode (my wife beat the game just by spamming auto-attack the entire time). The story and gameplay are also really linear, so you won't have to worry about exploring or anything until 30 hours into the game.

what's up with Vanille's VA. :'(

thanks for your input guys. i dont know if I can wait +20hrs for the game to get started. maybe if i stay up all day today...

[quote name='panzerfaust']How do you put 90 hours into a game that isn't great? I'd kill myself.[/QUOTE]

I never said the game wasn't great. It's a good, solid game, but in terms of story and gameplay, it falls short when compared to its predecessors. Besides, I've been maxing out every FF game I've ever played so why stop now?

Just put up the 1000, after 93 hours and 13 minutes. :)

I feel pretty conflicted about the game. Compared to XII, it's inferior in pretty much every way it could be. But I did love the battle system and the characters have grown on me. I think I enjoyed the postgame more than the game proper, even though it consisted largely of farming the same enemies over and over. I did stop playing for a month in the middle of Chapter 8 so I could complete Dragon Age, if that says anything. It's definitely a strange, hard-to-pin-down game, even for the FF series.

Got this from Gamefly a few days ago. I'd finished and enjoyed FF7 and loved and finished FF10 as well as some old school RPGs but this one just seems tedious to me. The eidolon battles especially seem really annoying and just not really fun. I dunno since it's a rental I may send it back and rent it again in a bit but as someone who was a fan of FF7, FF10, and more recently Phantasy Star via Sonic's Ultimate Genesis collection this game just isn't doing it for me. The visuals and cut scenes are fantastic don't get me wrong but it seems like perhaps there was too much focus on that and they didn't focus enough on the fun factor.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Just put up the 1000, after 93 hours and 13 minutes. :)

I feel pretty conflicted about the game. Compared to XII, it's inferior in pretty much every way it could be. But I did love the battle system and the characters have grown on me. I think I enjoyed the postgame more than the game proper, even though it consisted largely of farming the same enemies over and over. I did stop playing for a month in the middle of Chapter 8 so I could complete Dragon Age, if that says anything. It's definitely a strange, hard-to-pin-down game, even for the FF series.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely.

For me--

bought it on launch, played until chapter 7, I think? Hope and Snow's part. At that point, I said screw it, traded it in for most of my money back since GS had that +50% promo.

Rebought it last week because I had a bunch of time on my hands and just beat it tonight. At chapter 11, when everything opened up and I had full control over everything, I was loving the game. Everything clicked into place, I had a huge world to run around in and I was enjoying the grind for CP and parts to upgrade with. Got my weapons to tier 2 and some accessories maxed and decided to finish the game. Chapters 12 and 13 brought my hate for the game back as it was back to hallways.

Finished at 46 hours. While I can't say it's all bad, it's totally solid and even awesome in chapter 11, I couldn't recommend the game to anyone, unless they had a lot of free time and literally nothing else to play. I think I'll trade it in while the value is still decent and buy it again when it's really cheap to play some of the post game. I like the battle system a lot, but after a week straight of playing, I'm burnt out on the game again.

It's a great fall back game for a drought, but nothing anyone *must* play.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']As much as I LOVED the game... don't pay $60 for it -.-

Only tip early on would be to use Libra to scan stuff if you care about a complete bestiary.[/QUOTE]

Not just for the bestiary, but to get your party to use the best attacks too. Otherwise they'll throw out spells that heal the enemy and stuff.

(Continuing with ninja dog's last sentence)...Or even buy at full price.

I had a yard sale this weekend, tried to sell it for 40 bucks. (It was barely played, manual was in it and not ruined at all.) I decided to take it back in. Maybe I'll lend a friend it, or even sell it to them for a price. It's by no means a game that you can't go on Youtube and look up a Let's Play Final Fantasy XIII walkthru. Game is all flash and no substance.

I am just hoping that Versus XIII doesn't become some garbage game.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, buy a turbo controller. Hold down X and the game plays itself![/QUOTE]

What's the proper forum etiquette on CAG to say "Quoted for Truth?"

I'm not sure so I'll go...

This.
QFT
:imwithst:

i think the funnest part of the game is killing adamantortoise/adamantoise/long gui/shaolong gui, and that's sad because many people, even people who finish the game, will probably never experience this part of the game.

my playtime is 75hr, just got back my ps3 after a long hiatus, and i'm closing in platinum...just need to 5-star mission 51/64 (the two hardest missions argh) and get the treasure hunter trophy.

[quote name='redshadow']What's the proper forum etiquette on CAG to say "Quoted for Truth?"

I'm not sure so I'll go...

This.
QFT
:imwithst:[/QUOTE]

If this were true the end game would be so much simpler for me -_-

Hi FF fans, a quick question (and not searching because don't want any spoilers).

Did anyone play the non-US version? Does the non-US FFXIII have it's own set of trophies? I'm asking this because I'm tempted to get the Asian version of FFXIII (the Lightning Edition, with game and white FFXIII controller). Of course, if the Asian version has it's own trophies, then i can get two platinum trophies (US and Chinese). I know the Sega Collection game has two sets of trophies...

I know it's a pain to platinum any game, especially FFXIII (grinding and stuff), but I don't mind, i love FF stories :)

[quote name='Serpentor']Hi FF fans, a quick question (and not searching because don't want any spoilers).

Did anyone play the non-US version? Does the non-US FFXIII have it's own set of trophies? I'm asking this because I'm tempted to get the Asian version of FFXIII (the Lightning Edition, with game and white FFXIII controller). Of course, if the Asian version has it's own trophies, then i can get two platinum trophies (US and Chinese). I know the Sega Collection game has two sets of trophies...

I know it's a pain to platinum any game, especially FFXIII (grinding and stuff), but I don't mind, i love FF stories :)[/QUOTE]

I am not sure - however, other regional (asian) versions of games have their own set of trophies, such as Demon's Souls. (I know people that platinum both asian & US ver) & assuming the EU version will have it's own servers I'm pretty sure that it should have it's own trophy set as well.

This game isn't 'hard' to platinum more than it is tedious really - esp the trophy hunter. But, if you need any help - any cag here (myself included) would be willing to give a hand!

Argh, I was hoping I'd forget about this...so tempted to get the controller, but don't really want the chinese version of the game...need to figure out if it'll worth the at least $60 it'll take to get just the controller...

[quote name='Serpentor']I really dig the Lightning Deluxe edition, but it was sold out from PA :whistle2:( Anybody else know where i can get one around $115?[/QUOTE]

Yesasia is also sold out. I would check ebay (however, I'm pretty sure sellers would sky rocket that price to $200 range). Hopefully they would restock this.

I'm assuming you want this for the white 'lightning' controller huh?

[quote name='guynextshore']Yesasia is also sold out. I would check ebay (however, I'm pretty sure sellers would sky rocket that price to $200 range). Hopefully they would restock this.

I'm assuming you want this for the white 'lightning' controller huh?[/QUOTE]

The controller is one thing, the package is another. Since I'm more of a fan of original voice and subtitles, this is a great set. The game and controller bundle is still in stock, $100, but i rather pay a little extra for the cooler box and music cd...

I don't think they're rare, just that people are buying bunch to flip. I saw one "store" on taobao.com (Chinese site that's sort of Amazon and eBay combined) have 900+ of the Lightning Deluxe edition, all selling around $128+shipping. I'll wait... If i had learned the info earlier, i would have pre-ordered from Play-Asia. It was not posted in the DEAL thread, bummer (mainly because the US version has been out for a while and people don't really care anymore).

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I'm not 100% sure on this, but you should really research the trophies thing, cause I go by this list:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/games/retail/

Meaning, if a game doesn't have (EU) or (ASIA/Chinese) it usually means all regions share the same trophies. So... yeah, be careful.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did a little goolging and the trophies for FFXIII are universal... If you start from the US version and decided to switch to the Asian version, you can use the same saves and continue earning trophies.

[quote name='guynextshore']Yesasia is also sold out. I would check ebay (however, I'm pretty sure sellers would sky rocket that price to $200 range). Hopefully they would restock this.

I'm assuming you want this for the white 'lightning' controller huh?[/QUOTE]

Can't speak for him, but I know all I'm after is the controller. It'll be a nice compliment to my other limited edition Dual Shock (the Gunmetal Gray controller from the Metal Gear bundle).

[quote name='Salamando3000']Can't speak for him, but I know all I'm after is the controller. It'll be a nice compliment to my other limited edition Dual Shock (the Gunmetal Gray controller from the Metal Gear bundle).[/QUOTE]

:lol: we share the same passion i guess... I'm collecting all of the DS controllers, all colors. The limited edition ones are not for playing. I believe the gunmetal DSs are the hardest one to get simply because you need to buy the overpriced gunmetal PS3 to get one (and it didn't come with TWO gunmetal DSs either).

The Lightning white DS can be obtained separately from the game/DS bundles (the Lightning Edition or the LE Deluxe). Of course, you can also get the DS from the Lightning Edition of the PS3, it's pretty sweet too, the white Lightning PS3.

[quote name='Serpentor']Yes, I did a little goolging and the trophies for FFXIII are universal... If you start from the US version and decided to switch to the Asian version, you can use the same saves and continue earning trophies.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought you were trying to get 2 sets of trophies originally -.-

I wish it worked like that personally >.

[quote name='Serpentor']The controller is one thing, the package is another. Since I'm more of a fan of original voice and subtitles, this is a great set. The game and controller bundle is still in stock, $100, but i rather pay a little extra for the cooler box and music cd...

I don't think they're rare, just that people are buying bunch to flip. I saw one "store" on taobao.com (Chinese site that's sort of Amazon and eBay combined) have 900+ of the Lightning Deluxe edition, all selling around $128+shipping. I'll wait... If i had learned the info earlier, i would have pre-ordered from Play-Asia. It was not posted in the DEAL thread, bummer (mainly because the US version has been out for a while and people don't really care anymore).[/QUOTE]

900+ inventory?! @ $128+ship? What was the original pricing?
You'd think they would lower that, with such a high stock inventory, but I guess there's a lot of FF fans out there that are willing to pay premium.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Yeah, I thought you were trying to get 2 sets of trophies originally -.-

I wish it worked like that personally >.

[quote name='guynextshore']900+ inventory?! @ $128+ship? What was the original pricing?
You'd think they would lower that, with such a high stock inventory, but I guess there's a lot of FF fans out there that are willing to pay premium.[/QUOTE]

The original price is $90 for Lightning Edition (game+DS, cool looking box) and $100 for Lightning Edition Deluxe (game+DS+CD+artbook, cooler looking box). The price is estimated, i used Sony Style Taiwan for reference (it's OoS on the site, but they show you the price in NT dollars)

The best place for CAGs to get them is Play-Asia (we all comfortable with that site), but the Deluxe is sold out ($115 from PA). The game+DS edition is still available for $99.90. Of course, IMO, the Deluxe is a much better buy at $15 extra...

If you don't want the game, then you'll have to eBay the sucker to keep the DS... The only problem is that, the game is the Asian version and i doubt it will sell well in the US (may $30 or less? and prepare for the poor fool to e-mail you saying it's not in English).

[quote name='Serpentor']If you don't want the game, then you'll have to eBay the sucker to keep the DS... The only problem is that, the game is the Asian version and i doubt it will sell well in the US (may $30 or less? and prepare for the poor fool to e-mail you saying it's not in English).[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, no way I'm going the buy the bundle, sell the game route. Off of PA, the bundle costs 110 shipped or so. I'd be lucky to get forty for it, even luckier for the transaction to go smoothly. Meanwhile, there are people on eBay selling the controllers by themselves for 60-70 shipped, but they're all from China. I know this was only released in China, but I still have doubts when it comes to ordering stuff from there.

Are there better opportunities to farm CP later in chp 12-13? I know about the turtles but isnt that til after you beat the game? I'm at chapter 11 now and I've been fighting behemoth king + giant hyena looking thing for 6600 CP. Takes about 45 secs to kill and 15 secs to walk around for it to respawn. Been at it for hours and i'm fucking bored.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']Are there better opportunities to farm CP later in chp 12-13? I know about the turtles but isnt that til after you beat the game? I'm at chapter 11 now and I've been fighting behemoth king + giant hyena looking thing for 6600 CP. Takes about 45 secs to kill and 15 secs to walk around for it to respawn. Been at it for hours and i'm fucking bored.[/QUOTE]

You can try the Sacrifices in chapter 13 in orphan's cradle beginning area but i'd advice not going to far from that area since if you progress further into the game - the platforms disappear making the Sacrifices not to respawn quick enough. They give decent CP along with nice drops (perfumes & scarletes) to be sold for a good profit as well.

If you want to stay in chapter 11 - you can try the mines. There's a part where you path drifts off towards a dead end with a Juggernaut. That path as creatures that give good CP with a fast respawn rate.

Why are you grinding for hours in Chapter 11 anyway, if you're not enjoying it? Just move on with the story, there's plenty of time for grinding later.

Did anyone take forever against
Odin? It took me like 10 deaths till I got the right combination (Lightning as Ravager and Hope as Medic).

I died a couple of times. The key to beating Eidolons is to use Libra on them first to find out what will get their Drive meter up. The only Eidolon I never died against was the last one weirdly enough.

[quote name='KingBroly']I died a couple of times. The key to beating Eidolons is to use Libra on them first to find out what will get their Drive meter up. The only Eidolon I never died against was the last one weirdly enough.[/QUOTE]

I always cast Libra, look at the notes and weaknesses, and then die to save TP. The problem with him was that I didn't know which combo would work best (had to keep on switching up different paradigms to find the perfect role for both of them). Got really frustrated doing that.

How many hours did it take you guys to get the plat trophy? I finished the game a couple of days ago with a playtime of 63 hours. I may shoot for it, but reading about all the requirements have put me off. I'm probably looking at another couple of dozens of hours...

Man, the Japanese must really have hated FFXIII for it to be $5 already.

4687434169_640a2fef40.jpg

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']Are there better opportunities to farm CP later in chp 12-13? I know about the turtles but isnt that til after you beat the game? I'm at chapter 11 now and I've been fighting behemoth king + giant hyena looking thing for 6600 CP. Takes about 45 secs to kill and 15 secs to walk around for it to respawn. Been at it for hours and i'm fucking bored.[/QUOTE]

Follow the path described in step 1 here:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/...4;jsessionid=0204E9469763EDF83D825AD835466F1E

Much better than those fights you're doing, more variety, less time between respawns, and they drop good upgrade items like Bomb Cores, Solenoids, and Analog Circuits (not great but decent). You get between 3,000-5,200 per fight and they respawn very quickly. It's also easy to get preemptive strikes at least half the time, cutting your time way down too.

I'm looking for a little advice as I've kind of hit a wall with this game.

I have 2 side mission marks left, obviously 62 & 64 and it looks like I'll have to grind for quite a bit before I will bother with either (especially 64).

I don't think I'm powerful enough yet to farm turtles without death spamming. What I have been doing is working my way through the Titan Trials and fighting Attacus every time which seems to net me around 200k CP with a growth egg in about 25 minutes, plus I get some bomb shell and cores. Should I try death spamming, keep going in the trials, or do something else?

64 isn't really that bad. Bring Vanille and two Sentinels (probably Snow and Fang). Start in SAB/SEN/SEN and keep spamming Poison until it sticks, then shift into SEN/SEN/SEN. When he does his invincibility move, take the opportunity to heal and buff. Just focus on defense and let Poison do the work, he'll go down without too much trouble.

Don't know what to tell you for 62, I didn't use any special strategy and my guys weren't super levelled or anything. Make sure to shroud up before going in, and focus on bringing one of them down as soon as possible.

bread's done
Back