Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

If it was a legitimate problem caused by FF13, there would have been some kind of action...a patch, recall, something. I'd bet the true cause was people playing the game for way too long on a console that lacked proper ventilation and caused the console to overheat.

Finally got this game after being deterred from getting for months because of all the hate. For $20, it's actually been a really good game so far (about 12 hours in). I figured that I would like it, since I loved Final Fantasy XII, and so many people hated on that game too.

[quote name='Hiei69']Finally got this game after being deterred from getting for months because of all the hate. For $20, it's actually been a really good game so far (about 12 hours in). I figured that I would like it, since I loved Final Fantasy XII, and so many people hated on that game too.[/QUOTE]
It's not really so much that the hate was because it was a crappy/unenjoyable game, but I feel more regret buying it as a day 1 purchase since it really is only worth about $20 at the most. I think if everybody got it at that price point, there would be much less hating going on about it.

Ok, let's be honest here, it wouldn't be getting nearly as much hate if it was named something else. It has nothing to do with the price. People are just mad they spent $60 on something without doing proper research first -- assuming that because it's the next big FF installment, they have to buy it, almost as a tradition.

People like to act like it's just FFXIII, but it's with every single one that comes out. You can't post a deal on an FF game without half the thread filling up with hate first. I remember when XII came out people were in tears about how they wasted money on a game that "ruined" the turn-based battle system -- as if no one could notice what the game played like from the infinite amount of gameplay footage, trailers, and articles available on the net beforehand.

And it's funny because FFs get released in Japan like half a year before they reach here, so if there is any "fanbase" that has the information they need to know about a purchase, it would be FF "fans." Everyone knew XIII was linear, everyone knew there weren't any towns, everyone knew what the new combat was about -- and yet they bought it anyways for reasons beyond my imagination, and complained about those exact aspects.

FFXIII is a superb game with bold tastes. And yes, even though I loved it, I can say that exact same thing about games I hate as well. This community and every other gaming forum out there simply don't know how to recommend games to each other without shoving each others tastes down their throat first. And when it comes to popular titles, people of course get extra preachy.

Honestly, I'd love to have some real discussion on the design of this game, flaws and all -- instead of constantly trying snuff out ridiculous arguments for why it's the worst thing to happen to gaming.

Go to a thread about Star Ocean or Resonance of Fate and all of a sudden the RPG fans here become docile and understanding of the games they are playing -- but not FF! That game is a travesty.

Funny you should bring up Resonance of Fate because I love that game. If they would have married FF13 and RoF together it would have produced an RPG baby that would have been completely awesome. What one lacks the other has plenty of to compliment.

As for an FF tradition, I do partake in it. I looked at the trailers, I looked at couple of things and it was a first day buy. The only real problem is that you don't really see what's wrong with it until you physically start to play the game. The trailers mislead you, the gameplay footage misleads you and it's not the same game that's pitched from when the marketing started. I think I entirely got too hyped up for it with all the media on it and got suckered into a substandard FF title that promised to be a whole lot more. They said the game was a little linear and most are initially but this took linear to game quitting levels. I think I had an Amazon credit so it wasn't too horrible but I really would have felt butt hurt if I paid full price.

Just to note, I wasn't really directing that rant at you Mad39, you just reminded me that I need to write something about this game and FF in general.

Anyways, I do disagree about not being able to tell what's wrong with a game until you play it. Maybe it's just from experience, but I can always make the call on what games are for me, and what games simply aren't.

I knew beforehand I was walking into the a very streamlined RPG with a strong emphasis on a cutscene based narrative, and I knew the combat was removing itself away from strategy and moving more towards pressure and reaction based fighting. You don't always need to touch buttons to see those things, when they are so blatantly shown to you. I've played enough games to know what buttons feel like.

The only exceptions may be competitive games, because they require extensive playing to reveal their real quality. Very extensive playing.

Getting thrown for a loop by bizarre gameplay changes is as much of an FF tradition as Chocobos and Moogles. :)

XII and XIII could not be more different from one another-- the only things they have in common are that they are both enormous departures from the previous games, and they are both sublime. I can certainly understand why people don't like the game, but for me it just cemented even more what I've loved about the series since the NES: it somehow always manages to be both experimental and challenging, and reliable gaming comfort food.

Just hit the 60 hour mark and currently on chapter 12.

Limiting my character is the problem that I am having with the game. I want my heroes to feel strong. Sure they can rape enemies and score 5 stars, but they still feel weak. The paradigm shift is alright and all, but I NEED gambits. My teammates are idiots sometimes (yes I make sure I "know" the enemies).

Why the hell is the coolest character the worst (Snow)?

However I do love the music and the style that comes with FF13. I can tell they really only gave us half a game. RPGs are lacking in depth this new generation (the exception is Demon's Souls).

Damn you're making me crave some FFXII right now..

And you should really beat the game before you go and become super powerful, you get more options. The final level of the tree opens up and you get a ton of 500+ hp nodes and other goodies. And honestly just use whatever characters you want, I stuck with the solid group for my first play through (Light, Fang, Hope), but when I went through again I played around with Sazh, Vanille, Snow etc..

If you want the feeling of being over powered, stack power wrists on Fang and get her a Genji glove, she'll be doing around 150-200k dmg per swing on staggered turtles =p

Snow is a baller though, I used him a lot since he has tons of HP.

Last edited by a moderator:
XIII really could benefit from a sequel, hope it's true. It makes sense considering all the extra content they had.

Can't wait for the internet to rage over this.

[quote name='panzerfaust']XIII really could benefit from a sequel, hope it's true. It makes sense considering all the extra content they had.

Can't wait for the internet to rage over this.[/QUOTE]

There's plenty of rage in the comments on that Kotaku link ;).

But I'd love to play it. I didn't have any problems with XIII and would love a return to that world in a year or two (or however long it will take). Maybe my experience wasn't marred because I've never played VII. To this point, besides XIII, I've only completed III and IV on the DS and those feel like completely different genres, almost, than XIII did.

I'm totally down for more FF13. My hope would be that a sequel draws more on the postgame (all party members unlocked, more strategic options, more challenging battles, slightly more open-ended progression, less constant cutscene interruption) than the campaign proper.

I'd love to see the return of Fang and Vanille too, though I guess they'd have to come up with a pretty big retcon.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']It would be too forward-thinking for SE to draw on XIII cleared saves and maybe unlock bonuses in XIII-2... /sigh

I need moar Lightning![/QUOTE]
I was just thinking that it would be really cool if XIII-2 awarded a bonus weapon or accessory for every achievement you had unlocked in XIII, or something like that.

And yes, moar Lightning FTW. That was what cemented my decision to buy Dissidia 012.

Remember this bit about how S-E had planned some postgame DLC, and even told players to hang onto their clear saves, but then ended up scrapping the plans? I wonder if that planned DLC wasn't cancelled but instead changed/expanded into a separate release.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']What about FFXIII-Versus?[/QUOTE]
The idea has been floated that Agito or Versus might be marketed as XIII-2 in the U.S., but based on the precedent set by X-2, I don't think Square would call something XIII-2 unless it directly continued the story and characters from XIII. Besides, S-E has already been referring to these games in English for years now as Agito and Versus.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Yeah, but from what I've seen from Versus there's like some dude with silver hair and crew of characters that have nothing to do with XIII.
[/QUOTE]
Right... which is why I'm saying that XIII-2, if it exists at all, is something separate from Versus. Something that actually does carry over the characters and settings from XIII. Otherwise they wouldn't call it XIII-2.

OH EM GEE

http://na.square-enix.com/ffxiii-2/

ss_preview_01_RGB__Trailer_Still_.jpg.jpg

Leaked trailer

I'm looking forward to this, too. Actually, it makes me want to go back and play XIII again.

People can grumble about this, and they will - but it's just as easy to not play it and not grumble.

*GASP*

Could the shadow figure be a love interest for Lighting?!

or

Have history with Lighting and we just never get to see it.

I bought FF13 a while back but have yet to play it. I read/heard it wasn't that good... If Im a fan of Final Fantasy games ( Love them all! ) will I be dissappointed in it?

[quote name='pimpinc333']I bought FF13 a while back but have yet to play it. I read/heard it wasn't that good... If Im a fan of Final Fantasy games ( Love them all! ) will I be dissappointed in it?[/QUOTE]

Go in expecting it to be a fairly linear experience with a crazy out there story and you will love it. Expect an open world linear story and you will be disappointed.

FF13 and FF Versus 13 were one of the few reasons why I even bought a PS3 over a 360. FF13 was okay, but Versus 13 is the more interesting game to me. The latest video makes the game look stunning. The combat system is awesome and I found it odd how some say that it's "slow", which I think is mind boggling. I think the pacing is just right. But since I lost faith in SE, I'm gonna wait for Versus' reviews before pre ordering like I did with FF13 (I said that I thought the game was okay, but it wasn't worth the $60).

[quote name='KingBroly']I'll probably get it.

The black haired girl is probably a clone of Lightning and will probably be called Thunder.[/QUOTE]
You mean Cid Raines? WTF. . .

bread's done
Back