Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']can't be avatars can it???[/QUOTE]
*Sigh*

It's going to be much harder to laugh at the tools who spend their all real money on pretend Modern Warfare and Halo clothes after I spend all my real money on pretend Final Fantasy clothes.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']*Sigh*

It's going to be much harder to laugh at the tools who spend their all real money on pretend Modern Warfare and Halo clothes after I spend all my real money on pretend Final Fantasy clothes.[/QUOTE]

Well, Japan is getting the avys for FREE. But yes, they put an clothing on Home for FFXIII and I will buy it too. XD

It's worth it brah!

I'm pretty sure you can log onto Home from a Japanese account... will try sometime.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']*Sigh*

It's going to be much harder to laugh at the tools who spend their all real money on pretend Modern Warfare and Halo clothes after I spend all my real money on pretend Final Fantasy clothes.[/QUOTE]

Haha! This is awesome; I know exactly what you feel, sir. :applause:

A lot of FF games start out like that though. You are on a set path of sorts for a little while early on and then given a ship and you can explore the entire map.

Wow, looks like FFX all over again. That's just the initial Cocoon portion of the game, right? Maybe when you head down to Pulse you get some more traditional exploration.

I'm not too worried about the other complaints about "dumbing down." All that means in internet speak is "something I didn't like."

After this the Vile Peaks beget another apparently unending RPG-on-rails experience, the polar opposite of Final Fantasy XII’s MMORPG-like open questing; indeed, there is not a town to be seen anywhere, and shopping is handled through the sterile interface of the save points.

That comparison drove home how disappointing this is. I loved the sense of exploration and adventure in FF12's maps. Also the sprawling towns were wonderful and all the individual shops added lots of character. There are really no towns at all in FF13?

Normally I'd agree with you two (Ryuukishi/SynGamer), but this line in the article doesn't give me a heck of a lot of hopel: "Glimpses of later maps in the hint book seem to indicate this linearity persists to the very end – it is a wonder the game even bothers with a map."

I don't like the term 'dumbing down' either, as it seems like something people can't pinpoint, much like those gaming buzz words 'hardcore,' or talking about a game's 'experience,' but if the most wide open area seems to be the area with the purple text (sorry, can't read Japanese so forgive the crude description) and the area right before where it says Boss and 3 Start, I'm somewhat worried.

I know FFX was mainly like that for the first few hours; Zanarkand was literally a road, while Besaid ended up taking you around the island in a circle, but it later redeemed itself with the Macalania Woods, Calm Lands, and especially Bikanel (the Al-Bhed desert). I guess I won't really mind the maps so much if there are quite a few sidequests involved. Perhaps SE is experimenting; after all, SE has only put out X-2 and XII for 'main' entries (FFX was Square, though by the time it was released as a Greatest Hits, they had already merged with Enix, hence the SE logo on the GH copies)

Yeah, my memories of FFX are of pure road-style levels where you just walked from beginning to end and saw some pretty scenery along the way. I definitely prefer the wide-open style of 12, but 10 was a great game too. And I was already expecting something more in the style of 10 given the personnel.

Oh well, can't judge until March. :p

If there was anything I would change about FFX it would've been the whole "journey" = straight line part. I don't understand that dev. team's hatred for overworld maps, or their love for linearity.

I guess it allows them to tell a precise, structured story (X's was amazing) but yeah... I tend to prefer some more branches on my trees. I'd really like to see the guide or book, whatever they're getting this stuff out of to see what the rest of the maps are like.

I don't really think introducing the battle system mechanics slowly is a bad thing though. It may be that there's some depth to it, and the game wants to ease you into it. Eternal Sonata did a pretty good job with that, and it was rewarding.

I hated FFX, so I really hope they haven't taken a step backwards with the series. I'd rather just play FFXII again if this game is shit.

All indications so far are that this game is very much in the style of X and X-2.

I know what you mean, I vastly preferred XII also, and I wish that they were expanding on that play style instead of shifting to something different. That's the way of Final Fantasy though. They follow up an experiment with a crowd-pleaser and vice versa.

Does it really have no towns? That might be a good thing, I could not stand the overly large towns in 12. Bigger does not equal better when it's way too big.

I'm really hoping that FF13's story/setting is similar to 10. Where it's all setup for you & you can't really stray from the path they made.

[quote name='LordKefka06']I'm really hoping that FF13's story/setting is similar to 10. Where it's all setup for you & you can't really stray from the path they made.[/QUOTE]
I agree with you. I'll take linear with great story over search all over creation and lose your mind.

[quote name='J7.']Does it really have no towns? That might be a good thing, I could not stand the overly large towns in 12. Bigger does not equal better when it's way too big.[/QUOTE]

That's one thing I won't miss about FFXII. Huge cities always, always feel empty even if you fill them with NPCs. In RPGs, there's no contextual AI like there is in games like AC2.

I'd much rather take shopping all in one place/menu instead of running around a city trying to find everything.

Linearity allows the story to be "better" to a point, but FFVII and FFVIII's story were really well crafted too, so it's not like free-roam games have bad stories or whatever. I just hope in this case it's not the devs. being lazy, and that the straight path you follow has a point.

Replay value is something I'm really worried about for FFXIII, is there going to be any reason for me to go back into the world. DLC sure, but SE has failed left and right with all prior DLC; my expectations aren't high.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/12/20/why-final-fantasy-xiii-is-a-bad-game/

Oh dear god[/QUOTE]
I fucking knew it man. That was the exact impression I got once I started watching videos of people playing. I kept thinking, 'You know, this is their first game on a next gen system so I really hope they didn't go overboard on making it more cinematic gameplay rather than using FMV for stuff like that.' That and the videos I've watched have always had a really bad playing:watching ratio; like 1:4 minutes. I'm really concerned about the game system being a clone of FFX, because that already kills it for me.

And why the fuck is Ludacris in this game?

I'm fine with FMVs... what I won't play is a dumbed-down game with no mechanics worth investing time in. Items... gone? Menus... might as well be. Crafting... pointless? No strategy? Completely healed after battle... fixed parties.

The killer is the "bad" story. I'm a sucker for these JRPG worlds... but. Ugh, I don't wanna read any more of this game, this is saddening.

The auto-heal thing is pretty disheartening. I thought it was already sort of a cop out when save points started handing out free healing. And also when you couldn't even die in FFX's final battles (as good of a game as it was otherwise). Maybe that's next for all of FF15??

Are the battles at all like FFX-2's, though? I enjoyed those a lot.

Oh, I hope it's nothing like FFX-2, that game was horrible. Now I'm reconsidering purchasing this. I don't mind it being linear like FFX, but no towns, no shops, auto heal, everything is a menu at save points are making me change my mind.

[quote name='J7.']I agree with you. I'll take linear with great story over search all over creation and lose your mind.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I LOVED FFX!! If XIII is similar to that, I'm on it like white on rice!

I have a hard time believing these accusations to be true.
Unless they intend this to be an entirely different kind of game, I cant imagine that Squeenix would have overlooked all these issues

Ugh that list is terrible.
I'm still buying but it's hard to think of this game as regular FF anymore. I guess I should have seen it coming with the last few ones.

[quote name='marella152']I have a hard time believing these accusations to be true.
Unless they intend this to be an entirely different kind of game, I cant imagine that Squeenix would have overlooked all these issues[/QUOTE]
I'd believe it since SE has yet to put out a quality title (TWEWY excluded), so a bad FF would not be far-fetched.

[quote name='Jodou']This just in: the 360 version is officially inferior. . .for CG movies. NSFW link.[/QUOTE]

That shouldn't have surprised anyone. I don't give a shit about 360 owners, the dumbest thing SE did was to port FFXIII onto the system. Why dumb something down so you can try to recoup the money you poured into building an amazing engine from the ground up so that you could make BETTER GAMES?

I don't think I'll hate the game but we'll see. It's pretty shocking that people are complaining this loudly about the game, I wonder what people at SE thought would happen...

How is it dumb? Just because you're game you probably jack off to isn't being released exclusively to the ps3, doesn't mean you have to go all willy nilly. They're doing it for MONEY. It's called MARKETING. And when people say "Well if they do that blahblahbullshit then I'm not going to buy that game." That is your lose, while you have your pride us 360 owners will be enjoying the game.

[quote name='SolidMetal']How is it dumb? Just because you're game you probably jack off to isn't being released exclusively to the ps3, doesn't mean you have to go all willy nilly. They're doing it for MONEY. It's called MARKETING. And when people say "Well if they do that blahblahbullshit then I'm not going to buy that game." That is your lose, while you have your pride us 360 owners will be enjoying the game.[/QUOTE]

You won't be enjoying it to the fullest though, perhaps the point he was trying to make? The fact that the PS3 version will have full 1080p cutscenes/FMVs is a clincher for me. SE, if they were to be known for only one thing in gaming, is that they kick ass when it comes to cutscenes/FMVs. Seeing those in full HD, gimme gimme :D

I do agree though that SE is releasing FFXIII on the 360 purely for profit. They've already released games on the 360 so their teams know to program for the 360, which should save them time on porting the game, and in the end, the more money they make, the better for us. While I would like Versus to stay exclusive to the PS3, it will interesting to see if SE ports it to the 360 after seeing the sales for FFXIII (on the 360).

I'm not arguing for for one console or another. I have both, I play both. If developers dumb down any game just so it can be ported over to another console, I will bitch.

Bayonetta is better on the 360? I'll play it there. If they want to half-ass a port, I'm not going to play the PS3 version. Same thing with FFXIII. I would never touch the 360 version. You're free to enjoy it all you want, cheers.

Versus has about as much chance to be ported to the 360 as KH does... which... idk, maybe. Probably not.

Actually, it's looking like Sony paid for a proper exclusive on the Versus 13, it's probably just a 6 months to a year exclusivity.

Also, looks like the Bayonetta PS3 version is getting a patch that will fix its issues.

But yeah, Prinny is right, don't sell yourself short as a gamer. If a game is better, or costs less, or has more features, on one platform compared to another, go for it, assuming you have both systems of course.

Even Sony has learned this, they've started doing the exact same thing MS has been doing and paying developers for extra content, such as with Batman: Arkham Asylum, and a few others.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']
Versus has about as much chance to be ported to the 360 as KH does... which... idk, maybe. Probably not.[/QUOTE]
What does KH have anything to do with this? The only titles announced for release are Birth By Sleep for the psp. Seeing as kingdom hearts is not a sony exclusive(Chain of Memories, 358/2 days). I bet there is a chance of the next console based game to be released on the 360.

There's a difference between the portable and numbered KH games. If you think just because the DS has some KH games that KHIII is likely to end up on the 360 well... you can hope.

Considering Versus is being handled by the KH lead, there is some correlation. Not that KHIII is gonna be such a huge leap forward that it'd actually suffer from being ported. Artsy graphics and all, it'll probably be fine. Speculation of course.

There's always a chance of something happening... Shit happens. It's not always good.

Kingdom Hearts is too young of a series to tell what console it will be on next. At the time ps2 was king, of course they were going with sony. But now times have changed, the ps3 is actually finally making a difference in the battle between consoles. Wii is way out of the question. You can't tell. And just because Versus is being made by the kh team doesn't mean that they're all ps3 fanboys over there.

[quote name='SolidMetal']Kingdom Hearts is too young of a series to tell what console it will be on next. At the time ps2 was king, of course they were going with sony. But now times have changed, the ps3 is actually finally making a difference in the battle between consoles. Wii is way out of the question. You can't tell. And just because Versus is being made by the kh team doesn't mean that they're all ps3 fanboys over there.[/QUOTE]

The team may not be fanboys, but the lead designers and the people that lead the teams are. They all prefer Playstation 3. Plus the fact that Final Fantasy XIII is the only nextgen game they did that actually you know. Made a profit is a pretty big eye opener for Square.

Plus you do know that Nomura was somewhat pissed off at it coming to 360 and Wada has essentially sunk Square to shit ever since he designed anything for the 360. The Japanese public didn't buy it and almost all of Squares next gen games bombed.

SE decided to develop a lot of "niche" and very Japanese-style games for 360, and they did bomb. FFXIII appeals to people that aren't necessarily hardcore JRPG fans, so it might do well on the 360 but KH isn't as well a fit as FF is for the 360's install base. Plus... Nomura. Pretty much.

Back on track though, I'm curious to hear what state-side journalists think of the import version. There should be some good discussion in the next few weeks.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']SE decided to develop a lot of "niche" and very Japanese-style games for 360, and they did bomb. FFXIII appeals to people that aren't necessarily hardcore JRPG fans, so it might do well on the 360 but KH isn't as well a fit as FF is for the 360's install base. Plus... Nomura. Pretty much.

Back on track though, I'm curious to hear what state-side journalists think of the import version. There should be some good discussion in the next few weeks.[/QUOTE]

Dude even Final Fantasy is considered obscure to most Americans except rpg fans. And 360 owners buying it? That's a huge laugh. Probably the poor nerds yes, but the fanbase of the 360 is not going to go for that as a whole. Every 360 owner I personally know plays only shooters and action games and the one that DID acknowledge FF said "I don't play games for $$$$$$s." And judging by the 360 live audience as a whole, I have my own personal doubts on how well it will perform on the 360. Hell I question if it will sell in PS3 in America as Asia is where the lionshare of Final Fantasy sales come from.

Here's the article text:

Criticism of Final Fantasy XIII by fans of both Final Fantasy and the RPG genre has reached a crescendo, with critical voices now far outweighing positive appraisals, especially if typically worshipful mass media reviews are discounted:
“Honestly, it’s the worst Final Fantasy game ever! Everything about the game is ‘lightweight.’”
“This is no game, it’s a CG movie player with an RPG minigame! The story and maps are unbelievably linear, there’s a little divergence in how you level the characters. I just don’t want to recognise this as an RPG. It doesn’t even feel like you’re playing a game, just that you’re being shown one CG movie after another.”
“The characters aren’t very appealing, and the cutesy antics of the female characters got on my nerves. For fans of Final Fantasy, this is really something that is no longer Final Fantasy any longer.”
“The production values are high, but like FF12 there are pluses and minuses. At the very least I don’t think this game can be recommended to everyone.”
“Final Fantasy fans will be looking forward to a good story, but personally I found nothing interesting about the story at all, though this must vary from person to person.”
“The game just repeats movies and dungeons over and over, there’s no variation at all. There are quests in the second half, but getting that far takes far too long. If you don’t enjoy the story getting that far is troubling.
Honestly, this was a big disappointment. I can’t recommend it to people who like RPGs.”
User contributed reviews everywhere are dominated by such sentiments.
A minority of very vocal critics, or a deeply flawed title getting its just desserts?
Whatever the situation with online reviews, few who have actually played the game could deny the veracity of some of these complaints…

Like the article suggests, I wonder if this is just a vocal minority.

I'll be honest, I'm as big a FF fanboy as they come and I'm beginning to get a bit concerned by all the negative stuff I'm reading. The linear nature of it and the lack of party control is particularly troubling to me (though all FF games are, to a point, pretty linear). I'm sure I'll still love it, but I'm beginning to temper my expectations a bit.

[quote name='metaly']Like the article suggests, I wonder if this is just a vocal minority.[/QUOTE]
Well, those are mostly opinions rather than facts but where there's smoke, there's fire.

It's definitely doing its job on me; I was already a bit wary as I wasn't too fond of FF X-2 and XII compared to previous iterations, but hearing some of this stuff makes it sound like the game is really half-assed. I'm not against changing up the formula, but it just sounds like they simplified so many elements rather than making any significant alterations.

bread's done
Back