Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Out Now on PS3 & PS4 - 4/11: PS3-to-PS4 Transfer Live!

Finally got a chance to play some this morning. Hit level 5 and finished up the quests I had from Limsa Lominsia(or whatever it's name is).

Now to decode if I want to open my Collectors Edotion for PS3 or not. An unopened one would look better in my collection but I don't exactly want to have to buy a 2nd copy. Decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now to decode if I want to open my Collectors Edotion for PS3 or not. An unopened one would look better in my collection but I don't exactly want to have to buy a 2nd copy. Decisions.
You probably won't need the disc at all, and the in-game CE items you'll get via code. I guess it's possible the code is in the box, I'm not sure. Theoretically though you should be able to play without ever opening it.

Was able to get back online this morning too, and parked my butt right in a inn, finally! Was too afraid to do anything else and possibly get stuck in limbo again ><

This weekend was a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to EA~Launch!

Was able to get back online this morning too, and parked my butt right in a inn, finally! Was too afraid to do anything else and possibly get stuck in limbo again &gt;&lt;
I chanced it, though I did most of my crafting in a sanctuary, so if I'd DC'd there it wouldn't have been the end of the world.

I had fun playing the game this weekend. This was my first MMO so I'm glad I tried it. The controls were hard at first to get use so after about an hour, I got the hang of it. The main probably I have is the map. The map just focus on 1 area which makes it difficult to complete quest when you have to go back and fort from one area to another. Playing this game over the weekend makes me want to pre-order today. I'll probably just do the first month. I have way too many games in the backlog to focus on 1 game.

If anyone hasn't been added to the Cactuar CAG linkshell yet, please let me know your character name.  I'll keep a list for next week and make sure to add everyone we missed.

If anyone wants to see a bad map system look at some of the FFXI maps.  No markers on the map and you almost always had to consult a guide to find where you were supposed to go.  You also had to either buy the map or do a quest to get the map and sometimes the quest was so annoying you ended up just running "blind" through an area.  The map system in FFXIV could use a few improvements though but it is a major step up from FFXI.

Going with my FFXI philosophy I will probably focus on working up a tank first so I will be able to get stuff done quicker.

Thought it only affected PS3 players which is uncharted waters till now? PS3 version of 1.0 was never released.

Anyway, all servers are down, so that probably fixed any problems, lol.
Nope, affected both ps3 and pc players. I never tried the beta out on my ps3. I was going to, but thought it would be way too awkward for me

Wont be the last of error 3102, I promise.

Gave this game a whirl and put down a pre-order last night.  Reminds me of vanilla WoW when things were less complex and just more fun.  Pretty easy to pick up as a veteran of MMOs, but the map and transport systems are pretty bad for beginners.  I do like that they unlock the HUD 100% for you to customize though.  Made my layout more homely and usable lol.  Only got about five hours with the game before they brought it down for maintenance (so much for a beta lol; it was down for half of it. . .) and didn't bother trying this morning, so no rested exp for me.

W/e, I probably won't play much more than a month or two anyway but it's something new and refreshing for now.  Rolled on Lamia with a friend so hopefully our server won't experience the load issues you guys will on day one.  That's always the worst about week one of any MMO; too many people crashing the server lol.

Saw a char named Error threeoneothree.

Made me giggle a bit.

Only had one random DC. Little more laggy than phase 3 as well. All in all I am pretty excited for launch. Contemplating pre ordering it on PSN just to keep playing from EA thru release and just pick up my CE the next day on my lunch break.

pc question

if i bought a SSD, and installed the game on my SSD but NOT my OS

It would still load crazy fast right ?

And if I left my pc on for hours as long as im not running anything thats on the SSD, the ssd would remain idle and not heat right?

So, I pre-ordered this from Amazon, for my PS3.  I can't wait, I tried the craft system when I logged in.  I still prefer WOW's crafting system (since it was more about getting the mats and less about the crafting), but I definitely prefer this one over XI's crafting, well, over everythign from XI, except the selection of jobs.

So, I pre-ordered this from Amazon, for my PS3. I can't wait, I tried the craft system when I logged in. I still prefer WOW's crafting system (since it was more about getting the mats and less about the crafting), but I definitely prefer this one over XI's crafting, well, over everythign from XI, except the selection of jobs.
Oh I am sure Jobs will be added. Unlike WoW where it takes 2 expansions to add a class.

The only thing that I think is kinda stupid with them adding new jobs, is the way that jobs are leveled.

Like for instance if I have a 50 marauder, and they add a Samurai which requires a Marauder as a main class and Lancer as a sub class.  The day the new job comes out my Samurai will already be the max level 

I feel like its a HUGE part of the game to level a character and experience new things with them as they learn new abilities grow stronger and role improves.

If my new job is the max level instantly, it wont feel very rewarding at all

I REALLY hope they do something about that.

Maybe add "job levels" for new jobs, where they get new abilities and extra stat points or something.

Yes, the new job would be max level, but you'll still need to do the job questline in order to unlock the unique skills for that job.  So there is some effort involved in getting them up to speed.

A bigger concern for me would be stat allocation, since different jobs on the same class might call for different primary stats.  This is already true for Scholar and Summoner.  Hopefully re-specs will become easier at that point.

In general I'm definitely more excited for the prospect of all new classes though, since that would give you that 1-50 feel again which just adding a new job wouldn't.  I suspect over time we'll get both.

Sweet. Hope this is true. Would be like TERA's Disc version, skipped having to download 26GB of "Install Files" =P

Now my next challenge is figuring out how those that Pre-ordered at local stores are getting the Early Access code... I wasnt given a code when I pre-ordered and I never gave them my email address... =/

All I saw on Gamestop/EBGames site is "Go here to register for Early Access" ... =/ sounds like the usually beta signup page, put in email and "await" Early Access code, how is this limited to the CE pre-orders only?? and yes I have PS3 CE Pre-Ordered.
I think the early acces codes were limited. I pre-ordered in late July, and orgiinally said the access codes were gone. I go to the GameStop a lot, as I'm always flipping games (being a poor gamer sucks lol), and I knew the clerk, and he was able to fandangle me a code. But I may be wrong here. Worth asking if you want the early access.

Supposed to post info tomorrow about early access and all that crap tomorrow anyway

imo if you preordered at a store (ie gamestop) I would cancel that shit, order on amazon where youll get a credit + they will email you the code within a half hour (my friend preordered on amazon today and still got his Early access code)

of course if someone preordered CE from gamestop I understand why you wouldnt cancel

but if its just a regular edition cancel it and get it on amazon

Youll be able to download the game prior to release anyway with early access so you dont even need the physical copy of the game

So im reading that shortly after EA ( just over level 20) you have to pick a grand company

Is there any info on grand companies anywhere?

And the benefits of one over another

Supposed to post info tomorrow about early access and all that crap tomorrow anyway

imo if you preordered at a store (ie gamestop) I would cancel that shit, order on amazon where youll get a credit + they will email you the code within a half hour (my friend preordered on amazon today and still got his Early access code)

of course if someone preordered CE from gamestop I understand why you wouldnt cancel

but if its just a regular edition cancel it and get it on amazon

Youll be able to download the game prior to release anyway with early access so you dont even need the physical copy of the game
Well, yeah, that does make the most sense. But I used store trade-in credit. I have the PowerUp card, cause honestly it's worth it for me just for the print Game Informer (lol I know it's all old news but I'm a dinosaur with print media, plus they have good nostagia feautres), but I took advantage of their recent 50% bonus credit on trade-ins, and traded in a bunch of stuff towards my PS4 pre-order, got like $184 for a few games. I really didn't want to walk out of there completely empty-handed until whenever that releases (Oct?), and was intrigued by FF:XIV, so I pre-ordered and paid it off with some of my credit.

Probably gonna pay for at least a month's extra subcription, don't really wanna put any more of my actual cash into the game (spend too much on games as is), but if I really love it I'm open to subscribing longer.

So im reading that shortly after EA ( just over level 20) you have to pick a grand company

Is there any info on grand companies anywhere?

And the benefits of one over another
I joined a GC in P3, it is literally the next quest after Ifrit. They locked it in P4 for some reason, maybe it is req Lv.21. That means there was no Chocobo, wasted that Ifrit exp oh well. Chocobo is so awesome I wanted to unlock it because it makes 2nd class so much faster to level/quest on.

Anyway, there are 3 Grand Companies, one for each city. But you can join any of the 3 no matter where you started. They are basically country military defense against the different beastmen that attack. The quest line has you go to each and listen to a speech from the 3 leaders. It is a story-line choice and shouldn't affect too much down the line. You can help anyone in their GC quest no matter your GC, they'll have 3 separate side/main-quest lines. You can later drop your GC and join the other 2 if you want to see it all. You just won't be able to transfer your GC seals, and you can transfer back at a price with no loss of seals/progress. I'm not sure if different GC offer different loot from seals, but that may be a factor too.

So you can join a Grand Company (for story, you have to join one to progress), a Linkshell for social activies/friends/easier grouping/chat/dungeons/helping, and a Free Company. The Free Company is more of a major big group of people that do end game raids, I'm lead to believe.

Wow, Summoners really make it frustrating and it's not their fault. I was a blissfully ignorant forest dweller until I hit level 15 and started a dungeon, then on to other cities and their areas/fates. I keep target their damn glowing rats while trying to attack mobs, it's major hell in fates. There should be a way to ONLY target bad monsters, and as far as I saw there was no such option on PS3. Good thing I wasn't a tank, or my party would be pissed at me for not being able to target/keep aggro heh.

Edit: I forgot about NPC Companions, you may pick a Companion before a GC can't remember. In P3 it was just for a few quests/battlefields, but I think later on they become summoned helpers of some type. Combined with being able to Summon your Chocobo and being able to set it to Healer (if you are a melee) or Tank (for casters) or whatever class/job you want, it's pretty cool. In closed beta I joined a level 25 fate were every player had a Chocobo fighting next to them and it was hilarious, in a good way.

Sweet. Hope this is true. Would be like TERA's Disc version, skipped having to download 26GB of "Install Files" =P

Now my next challenge is figuring out how those that Pre-ordered at local stores are getting the Early Access code... I wasnt given a code when I pre-ordered and I never gave them my email address... =/
All I saw on Gamestop/EBGames site is "Go here to register for Early Access" ... =/ sounds like the usually beta signup page, put in email and "await" Early Access code, how is this limited to the CE pre-orders only?? and yes I have PS3 CE Pre-Ordered.
Go to the store you have your preorder at. Ask them to print you a code for EA cause your receipt didn't have one.

I had the same problem, just gonna wait for the email

Also I wonder if the new preorder item is the same as the old one i have, which is a hat with +20% exp to all classes below level 10

And to the above comment, I wonder how hard GC seals are to get, I heard in the beta you got them from FATEs but not in live

Sigh, I see nothing but horrible pain on the 24th if they can't even get the EA codes working on time.

GC seals are apparently easy to farm from leves and the 1k needed can be done in a single reset.  I'm curious what benefits there are for each GC though.  The mercs one sounds like the one for me from the description.

I preordered back in July but I havent received an email from Amazon regarding early access.  Should I be worried or just wait to see if its sent during the day?

I preordered back in July but I havent received an email from Amazon regarding early access. Should I be worried or just wait to see if its sent during the day?
No one has received it yet. The site just went up so everyone is trying to put their codes in now. I assume the e-mail will still be coming later in the day.

I preordered back in July but I havent received an email from Amazon regarding early access. Should I be worried or just wait to see if its sent during the day?
You should go back and look in your spam folder or search for the words "promotional" &amp; "amazon". I believe this is what your asking, I too ordered from amazon awhile back and was sent a promotional email containing my code, so you should have it but most likely buried in spam or other inbox. As for Registration Code, these have not been given yet, I went to the linked website from my promotional email and entered in my email as directed and I'm currently waiting like others to receive SE's email stating that we can now enter our promotional code to receive our Registration code. This is my understanding.

The site just went live a couple hours ago and they haven't announced that it's ready to go. I wouldn't fret... yet.
They've had how long to be ready for this? Sorry, it's 2013 and there's really no excuse. Just disappointed that this launch will probably not be smooth and include lots of downtime. : \

If you never got an email from AMAZON you have an issue.

Me and my friend preordered the ps3 version from amazon, and received the code from amazon within a half hour

Id check spam box/old emails first, then contact CS

That said in that email is a link to a square enix website, where you enter your email.

And they will email you when you can put the code (from amazon) into your account to register early access

They've had how long to be ready for this? Sorry, it's 2013 and there's really no excuse. Just disappointed that this launch will probably not be smooth and include lots of downtime. : \
This launch has been 3 years in the making

There wont be lots of downtime (unless they get WAY more subscribers than they expect, which I doubt they will)

There likely wont even be that many bugs

When FFXIV originally came out crash to desktops were VERY frequent, I havent experienced a single one in this recent beta (using the same pc as before) so thats interesting.

That said I do expect connection issues to be the biggest/most frequent problem

And I also wouldnt be surprised if they brought the servers down for an extended period at the end of early access

On code registration

Hello all,

We've confirmed a high volume of traffic to the FFXIV Pre-Order Code Redemption website, which likely causes any errors you might have run into. If you receive an error while attempting to redeem your code, please wait and then try again later. 
Our internal teams are working hard on this issue, and making every effort to relieve site congestion. As soon as we have any further information, we'll be sure to update you all on our Twitter and through this forum.

So basically they failed to email people that the site is indeed ready to accept codes and failed to provide said service anyway.  Let me know when they get their act together so I can redeem my code without spamming it.

Well they didnt email people on purpose, because the website is getting hammered and cant handle the traffic its already receiving.

Getting more people to try to register will only make it worse

That said I was able to register mine by only clicking enter code 2-3 times 

Well they didnt email people on purpose, because the website is getting hammered and cant handle the traffic its already receiving.
That's not the point: they lied. I'm much more understanding of load issues because that's to be expected, but when you say you're going to do something, you do it otherwise it causes confusion. Also, why did it take them half a day to update us on this? I can appreciate time zones, but when you're doing a major launch like this they need to be on the ball 24/7.

I'm pretty excited to play this because it's fresh and new, but damn SE is doing their best to give me second thoughts.

Their communication is hardly top notch and there always seems to be a lag between sites actually going up and the e-mail notification of them, but I'd hardly say that constitutes a lie.

I don't think it's worth getting bent out of shape about.  There are four days until early access, registering your pre-order code now, 6 hours from now, or tomorrow makes literally no difference.

Do I find it worrisome that demand for the game seems to be much higher than S-E anticipated?  Yes.  It's clear that's the case both from what happened during the open beta weekend and by their pre-order site getting slammed.  But I don't personally find it productive to assume they won't be able to adjust.  It's certainly not too late in the game for them to add new servers.  Maybe I'm just being naive, but I'm not worried yet that they're going to have an especially rocky launch.

Well id be slightly worried about a rocky launch

SE continuously is drastically underestimating how many players they are expecting

I think part of that is giving 1.0 players the game, so they cant use sales/preorders to estimate how many players theyre expecting.

And with there likely being a SHIT ton of 1.0 players out there, they cant assume all of them are going to play, or else theyd have WAY too many servers/waste money

Eitherway SE isnt doing a great job by any means atm 

LOL, looks like Error 3 is the new 3102 trying to redeem pre-order codes.  Figured I'd try my luck since you were able to enter your code after a few tries.  Should've listened to gut instincts that they still wouldn't have this resolved.

Out of curiosity did anyone (how long did it take?) get an email with their code from SE after redeeming their preorder code?

Apparently after you register your preorder code (from amazon etc) they give you ANOTHER code which you have to enter

I didnt realize that and closed the website out without copying it down 

Havent gotten an email from them either, so hoping i didnt eff something up

From what I understand the code is in your account page under registered games, or something like that.  I can't even get that far with this constant error 3, so I'm giving up until they fix their shit.

I cant even get the account registration page to load

(of course it loaded right after i typed that)

I also read on the forums it takes over 2 hours for them to email you your codes after

Theres so many issues its not even funny.

Im prob gonna wait till the later tonight when the traffic dies down to try to figure it out

OK, so their fix for the account management being down is to redirect us to the EU page.  Logged in to find I'm registered for EA, which is great but I don't see where I'd find my 20-digit key now.  I'm not holding my breath about an email, but if they manage to screw me there will be blood. . .

bread's done
Back