Flip Successes and Flip Flops

sold a copy of gripshift for $121 :lol: Hopefully I get paid. the guy does have 500+ positives and no negatives. sold a couple more at $49 a piece.

also flipped 15 copies of wii sports at $52 a piece on amazon when no one else had anything listed. :bouncy:

btw, the price for wii sports went up to $14.99 at gs.

[quote name='ninja dog']sold a copy of gripshift for $121 :lol: Hopefully I get paid. the guy does have 500+ positives and no negatives. sold a couple more at $49 a piece.

[/QUOTE]

I had NO idea Gripshift was even rare or valuable. Cant tell you how many times I passed up new copies at B&M.

[quote name='RandyTsai']i don't know. i haven't been blocked yet and i use my edge card all the time instore and online.[/QUOTE]

I got away with a TON of flipping from Gamestop (back when Mario Dance was $25 on Gamestop's site and $80+ on Ebay). Same for Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. With the $25% discount and the 10% card stacked at some points I believe (maybe it was 25% after stacking).

Believe you me, one of these days you'll put in an order and they'll nail you. If you're dumb (like me) you'll try the order with other cards, etc - and they'll freaking link all that stuff together and ban it all.

I'm not surprised you got so many of Wii Sports. They'll ship anything. Then arbitrarily, one day, they'll ban you when you order like 3 games. It happened once to me and I got the ban removed. The most recent time they won't do a thing for me.

Wait, what? Gripshift is worth that much? For PSP, right? I assume you sold it sealed for 121 dollars. They must not sell for much used, because GS has them for 7.99 in my stores.

I don't know if this qualifies as "worst flip", but it was the worst flipping-related story.

As with everybody else on here, I was in line for the PS3 with my buddy ALL FREAKING NIGHT. During that time, we had:

A) One guy offer $1,000 to take one of our places in line
B) One guy offer $2,400 for the system (if we would sell first thing in the morning)
C) One guy offer $2,000 for the system (if we would sell first thing in the morning)

Here we are watching ps3's go for $3,000+ on his little internet phone and we turned them all down. I ended up selling mine for a hundred dollars' profit and he ended up pulling his hair out trying to sell it and eventually ended up bundling several games with it to sell everything at about $100 profit. Sickening :)

I think the most infamous flipping story was whoever that kid was up in Canada that went back-and-forth from Blockbuster to Blockbuster when Game Rush was having that crazy Buy2, Get1 sale in tandem with the "Sell 3 get $5 extra per game" trade deal. If I remember correctly he claimed to have built up well over $10,000 in store credit over a 3-day span.

I definitely don't approve, but at the same time I have to admit that is quite the impressive feat

(Note that nobody wants to discuss whether or not this is legal/ethical/etc)

FYI to all, Gripshift has had a sudden increase in value because a buffer overflow exploit was found with the game that the PSP hacking community is hoping will lead to the PSP-3000 being mod-friendly.

[quote name='Ettenra']FYI to all, Gripshift has had a sudden increase in value because a buffer overflow exploit was found with the game that the PSP hacking community is hoping will lead to the PSP-3000 being mod-friendly.[/quote]

Is Lumines part one PSP dead? remember when everyone wanted those.

I can't believe Gripshift is suddenly worth that much, I sold my copy for $5 on EBay last year! (I paid $5 for it to begin with)

Wow, there's a copy of GripShift at the GS right by my work. I'll have to see if I can pick it up tomorrow.

And as for recent flipping successes, the perfect storm between BBV and GS has netted me a little over $1400 in GS credit in the last 3 weeks. Now with the insane DS and Wii bonus, I might need to put in some footwork this weekend. We'll see, though, since I'm kind of at the point where I'd rather have the free time than make a few hundred more in credit.

[quote name='DarkRider23']So... ANY gripshift works with this exploit? There's one at a store right by me.[/QUOTE]
As far as I know, its the US version that is needed for the exploit. This is very rare overseas. So it is fetching high prices overseas.

[quote name='chosen1s']I got away with a TON of flipping from Gamestop (back when Mario Dance was $25 on Gamestop's site and $80+ on Ebay). Same for Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. With the $25% discount and the 10% card stacked at some points I believe (maybe it was 25% after stacking).

Believe you me, one of these days you'll put in an order and they'll nail you. If you're dumb (like me) you'll try the order with other cards, etc - and they'll freaking link all that stuff together and ban it all.

I'm not surprised you got so many of Wii Sports. They'll ship anything. Then arbitrarily, one day, they'll ban you when you order like 3 games. It happened once to me and I got the ban removed. The most recent time they won't do a thing for me.[/QUOTE]

I know eventually they will. Im just surprise they haven't yet. I have over 50 orders on multiple games in my order history. If they ban me, its not a big deal. I have other address and other credit cards.

[quote name='gomikeoh']As far as I know, its the US version that is needed for the exploit. This is very rare overseas. So it is fetching high prices overseas.[/QUOTE]

actually it is because they are still working on the exploit for the Europe version.

It begins-- gripshift madness. :lol:

Lumines was much better, as TRU was clearencing them *right* at the same time the exploit was found. I probably sold 40 copies. Whereas gripshift copies have probably been destroyed by any stores that carried them by now. I've been looking, but haven't seen any. I got lucky and ordered a couple from hastings the morning the exploit was found and found a few at GS.

update on the $121 guy- he paid! Now i'm expecting a chargeback :lol:

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I've been buying copies of Wario Ware: Smooth Moves from Wal-Mart for $19.xx and selling them on ebay for $70. I imagine that price is extremely YMMV at other Wal-Marts.[/QUOTE]

Wait, why the hell is Wario Ware Smooth Moves selling for so much? Wario Ware Touched I sort of understand, but Smooth Moves?

[quote name='Ettenra']FYI to all, Gripshift has had a sudden increase in value because a buffer overflow exploit was found with the game that the PSP hacking community is hoping will lead to the PSP-3000 being mod-friendly.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='phear3d']i just sold gripshift this morning for $95 :)

its crazy, but get it while you can. it might not last long.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Oh, man, I remember when they couldn't give this game away (it was $5 at a lot of places). I think I have a sealed one somewhere - checking now...

Edit - Yep, still have my cheap Best Buy copy sealed (I think it was $1.99 or something). Well, I don't see any completed auctions on eBay over $90 (and those are all from the same guy - some others are as low as $33) - are you guys selling on Amazon or something? Even $33 is decent given it has been sitting in my closet for 2 years!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']Wait, why the hell is Wario Ware Smooth Moves selling for so much? Wario Ware Touched I sort of understand, but Smooth Moves?[/quote]

People love the Wii, and the game is out of print apparently.

I've had some amazing Flips while living in Japan.

Last summer I found a used CIB Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes LE Gamecube (system and games) for about $35 and a NEW GC Component Cable for $9 and sold the pair on eBay for $475.

Also, I randomly found a box FULL of NEW copies of Virtual Fishing and Insmouse no Yakata for Virtual Boy for $10 and $20 respectively. Sold a copy of each for $65 and $100 respectively about a month ago and I still have 2 copies of each to flip in the future.:D

[quote name='io']
Edit - Yep, still have my cheap Best Buy copy sealed (I think it was $1.99 or something). Well, I don't see any completed auctions on eBay over $90 (and those are all from the same guy - some others are as low as $33) - are you guys selling on Amazon or something? Even $33 is decent given it has been sitting in my closet for 2 years![/quote]sell it on ebay, 3 day listing. copy someone elses title. doesnt matter if its sealed or not at this point, people need it to hack their psp 3000.

I just bought a pair of them for under $22 shipped so I can flip them on ebay. Will check the other local stores tonight when I get off work.

i got a copy of gripshift with a broken umd case that wont load from GS. Not sure if it is worth the trouble to fix it and sell it

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']There's tons of price swinging for this game. I see completed auctions from 20.XX to 90.XX In fact, there was a sealed one that only went for 22.00. Odd.[/QUOTE]

I think it's the difference between shipping internationally or not. I've had a few BINs go for $49 in the U.S. though.

[quote name='62t']i got a copy of gripshift with a broken umd case that wont load from GS. Not sure if it is worth the trouble to fix it and sell it[/quote]
not really unless you want to go into trouble of buying a replacement case for it. indie stores sometimes might have them. 2 or 3 bucks. they have them on ebay but it'll take a week to get.

[quote name='ninja dog']I think it's the difference between shipping internationally or not. I've had a few BINs go for $49 in the U.S. though.[/quote]i sold mine to someone from spain. you should list it to accept international bidders because you get to sell it for more. im going out tonight to find some more.. but out of 9 stores i went to the other night, i was only able to find 1. for those who are interested, be prepared to drive from store to store :)

[quote name='phear3d']i sold mine to someone from spain. you should list it to accept international bidders because you get to sell it for more. im going out tonight to find some more.. but out of 9 stores i went to the other night, i was only able to find 1. for those who are interested, be prepared to drive from store to store :)[/QUOTE]

I would, but I don't feel like dealing with international buys...I'm happy with the one I sold internationally. :)

[quote name='phear3d']not really unless you want to go into trouble of buying a replacement case for it. indie stores sometimes might have them. 2 or 3 bucks. they have them on ebay but it'll take a week to get.[/QUOTE]

are you saying I should just return it to GS or sell it as it?

Back when the black Xbox 360 controllers came out, Wal-Mart had them clearanced out for 10.00 and 15.00 for the plug and play ones. I bought 18 of the regular and 12 of the plug and plays. I looked pretty funny with a buggy full of controllers! I kept 3 and and sold the rest for $45+ on ebay. I was baffled at the time I saw them and even asked why there were so cheap. Cashier said " Since they are not on our system yet, they get clearanced."

Just curious to know, but what do you guys say to these employees when you come in with all these new games and want to return them for store credit with no receipt? Do you tell them they were gifts? Or do you just tell them exactly what you're doing? They allow this?

[quote name='fsecreast']Just curious to know, but what do you guys say to these employees when you come in with all these new games and want to return them for store credit with no receipt? Do you tell them they were gifts? Or do you just tell them exactly what you're doing? They allow this?[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone here is talking about returning things to stores with no receipts for store credit. Where did that come from?

If that is your definition of flipping then it is not the one generally used on CAG. Usually it means buying games from one place and trading them in (as used games) at another. Of course no receipt (or explanation) is required for that. Others seem to define it as buying things and selling them on eBay. I guess "flipping" can just mean quick turnover for profit, whether in trade credit or cash. However, it does NOT mean buying things at one store cheap and returning to another (as new) without a receipt in the hopes of getting more cash/store credit there. The term for that is "return fraud" ;).

I'm not really a flipper, I don't have a lot of luck finding mass amounts of clearance games to sell back somewhere at a decent gain, any more at least.

Back in the day though, my best flips were before Gamerush got smarter and they had a lot of promotions of trading in 2 games and getting a new game for 10 bucks. At the start they didn't have restrictions on old sports games and the really old PS2 titles, so... that led to hundreds of credit after spending less than about 70 total with the older, cheaper titles at GS trading for nearly triple at GR. I remember getting so many new games and pre-orders during this time due to this, it's ridiculous to imagine that they didn't realize their mistakes with this much sooner than they did.

Back around that time (2005 or so) GS had Drake selling for 7 bucks or so, while it traded for 22 at GR, so I probably horded a bit too much Drake of the 99 Dragons for many lifetimes and got a couple new games from built-up Drake credit.

This was all done over a few stores, so it wasn't just one store to another.

More recently at TRU during their clearances, I picked up some copies of Far Cry and Hitman to trade in to GS, it wasn't a big investment nor a big payoff, but this was during a trade 2 get a bonus 10, so I did that a couple times and it helped pay for some other stuff.

[quote name='io']I don't think anyone here is talking about returning things to stores with no receipts for store credit. Where did that come from?

If that is your definition of flipping then it is not the one generally used on CAG. Usually it means buying games from one place and trading them in (as used games) at another. Of course no receipt (or explanation) is required for that. Others seem to define it as buying things and selling them on eBay. I guess "flipping" can just mean quick turnover for profit, whether in trade credit or cash. However, it does NOT mean buying things at one store cheap and returning to another (as new) without a receipt in the hopes of getting more cash/store credit there. The term for that is "return fraud" ;).[/quote]

Sorry I was referring to some of the earlier posts. I believe there was one on the first page about someone buying a bunch of games from GS then walking two stores down to Fryes and returning them for store credit. Didn't think he meant trading them in.

Maybe other CAGers in California have better luck than me but my area is notoriously bad for flipping. Gamestops here are flooded with so many games they usually just stop taking them in or they don't give enough trade in credit to make it worthwhile.

My best deals though were when target had its raincheck policy. I bought hundreds of games for $1-5.

[quote name='joe50000']Maybe other CAGers in California have better luck than me but my area is notoriously bad for flipping. Gamestops here are flooded with so many games they usually just stop taking them in or they don't give enough trade in credit to make it worthwhile.[/quote]
i think this had become a bigger issue now with gamestop. since they take every game that has a barcode (exceptions are Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow Training), they have so many of the same games and by the time youre ready to flip or trade in your copy, the value of it is not even half of what they would sell them for.

the worse is FYE. most of the time, older games are bought for a mere $1. and then they resell them for $9.99. pretty good profit there. they even have the .01 trade in values.

Best for me was the Gamecube component cables at the Nintendo World Store. They only let you buy two at a time, and I didn't get to go every day so I only managed to get around 7 or 8. They were $35 each and they sold for $80 on ebay.

Another was when the 360 just came out. I was on the BB RZ list and got one a week after it came out. Some lady paid $200 over retail to give it to her 9 year old son for Christmas. I felt a little bad after that one.

[quote name='encendido5']Best for me was the Gamecube component cables at the Nintendo World Store. They only let you buy two at a time, and I didn't get to go every day so I only managed to get around 7 or 8. They were $35 each and they sold for $80 on ebay. .[/quote]

I ordered a Wii component cable for $30 or whatever it was and then turned around and sold in for $150 on ebay. Then i went back to nintendo.com and ordered another for myself and waited the week or so for the backorder to fulfill - then kept for myself. Gotta love impatient people.

Another one for me was finding the Mario Mix Dance Dance Revolutions new with pad for $50. I must have bought 10 of them from Targets and TRU. I flipped each one for around $150 each around Christmas on ebay two years ago. Paid for my Christmas that year.

[quote name='62t']i got a copy of gripshift with a broken umd case that wont load from GS. Not sure if it is worth the trouble to fix it and sell it[/quote]ask GS if they have any extra demos, then just open the top of it with your fingernail and switch the discs.

I went to 4 GS today and was only able to find 1 gripshift. I found 7 wii sports though. ^_^

during the black friday deals i got 2 copies of golden axe beast rider for 10 bucks a piece, sold them to gamestop for $52 towards re5

[quote name='phear3d']i think this had become a bigger issue now with gamestop. since they take every game that has a barcode (exceptions are Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow Training), they have so many of the same games and by the time youre ready to flip or trade in your copy, the value of it is not even half of what they would sell them for.

the worse is FYE. most of the time, older games are bought for a mere $1. and then they resell them for $9.99. pretty good profit there. they even have the .01 trade in values.[/quote]

The penny TIV is supposed to be a marker(much like the penny price for guides n other stuff at stores)that they have too many or the item is too old and that they shouldn't be taking it in for the penny price.

It's not really supposed to be a trade value.

So this past month (holiday season) I have sold about 30 wii sports and 10 gripshifts.

I bought the wii sports for 10 bucks at gamestop and made about 30 dollar profit off each
Then I bought 10 gripshifts for about 70 bucks (7 each) and I just sold my last one on ebay. Average gripshift sold for about 55 dollars....

55X10= 550
30X 30 = 900
7 ps2 network adapters for 13 bucks each after 20% accesories coupon - sold on ebay for 30 bucks profit average so about 200 overall...

total ~1650

in pure profit just for a months work.

Easiest money I have ever made.

[quote name='gomikeoh']So this past month (holiday season) I have sold about 30 wii sports and 10 gripshifts.

I bought the wii sports for 10 bucks at gamestop and made about 30 dollar profit off each
Then I bought 10 gripshifts for about 70 bucks (7 each) and I just sold my last one on ebay. Average gripshift sold for about 55 dollars....

55X10= 550
30X 30 = 900
7 ps2 network adapters for 13 bucks each after 20% accesories coupon - sold on ebay for 30 bucks profit average so about 200 overall...

total ~1650

in pure profit just for a months work.

Easiest money I have ever made.[/QUOTE]

Thats awesome. I need to become this aggressive in flipping again.

I sold my five Gripshifts. I had lowered the price to 44.99 because it looked like the market was saturated. Then their vlaues rose again and a flipper (I assume since he bought them all) snagged them all. I'm a little pissed I wasn't paying more attention, but oh well. I'll ship these out and probably buy a few more.

Went to a couple of pawn shops this afternoon in search of more gripshifts. They had absolutely zero PSP games. WTF? My 2 that I got from CDTradepost end on ebay tomorrow. Some jerkoff sent me a message yesterday saying
"WOW... way to rip people off when its a hot item, Bravo"
I guess somebody is bitter they can't find their own to flip.

Had another guy offer me $80 for the pair I already have, and I politely turned him down.

bread's done
Back