Flip Successes and Flip Flops

[quote name='rayee6']After reading some of these threads about people making money by flipping, I was wondering what games/items out there are worth flipping? I am not looking for anything specific, but just an idea of what to look out for before I invest my money trying to flip.

I guess you have to really pay attention about the gaming industry to be able to make money.[/quote]

and yes...when i first started flipping it was HARD AS CRAP to remember any of the rarities! Unless you're TRULY interested in learning the ropes..you prob have very little chance in succeeding. Well, given that's a pessimistic viewpoint, that was my beginner's experience

[quote name='animemaniac14']that guy will DEFINITELY be fired...just like i was for trading in TWO OF THE SAME GAME to GS[/quote]

Dude, that's retarded. Did you accept a trade or did you trade them in?

[quote name='rayee6']After reading some of these threads about people making money by flipping, I was wondering what games/items out there are worth flipping? I am not looking for anything specific, but just an idea of what to look out for before I invest my money trying to flip.

I guess you have to really pay attention about the gaming industry to be able to make money.[/QUOTE]

No, it's more like timing between stores like blockbuster video (selling used games) and gametop (paying extra for used games). It's usually at least twice a year that it happens.

If you're thinking of it as an investment, don't bother. Most people here flip for store credit at gamestop so they can buy more systems and games. You don't want to get your money tied up in games when there are real investments out there.

I guess you have to really pay attention about the gaming industry to be able to make money.[/QUOTE]

Read what people are looking for, pay attention in threads where people mention games that are valuable/hard to find, use google to figure out what rarer/valuable games are for older systems. Make lots of mental notes about games, series, companies, systems, and accessories that people hunt for. Search completed listings on ebay and try to get a feel for the average price a game goes for. Cross check it with amazon and half.com.

Do all this for a few months and you'll have a basic grasp. Keep it up and you'll get a system down, along with a pretty good eye for what's worth picking up and what isn't.

That's pretty much all there is to it. It's not a good job though, unless you have a shitload of time and ton of stores in your area. It's better as a supplemental thing, like if you want to buy a system or game, you can create your own "discount" by flipping.

Ninja dog really stated it the best........I don't flip to Gamestop for more credit my flipping is usually done for cash via ebay. The key is really to watch Craigslist's, pawnshops, goodwills, and even some of the B&M stores like gamestop to see what you can make money on. Doh and I left out yard sales in the summer you can make some serious money for just five minutes of hunting sometimes.

Also don't be afraid to take managable risks example: This summer I was at a garage sale they had a copy of snowboard kids for n64 for 2 dollars this game was an "Atlus" game and I didn't know the full price I just knew it was an Atlus game so I picked it up. I sold it to a real life friend for five dollars quick three dollars.

The last tip I could give you is just stay on top of used deals around here at CAG
Anyways best of luck and if you have any questions you can PM me.

[quote name='Persona7']Lol, I saw the manager at gamestop ringing up 17 copies of Gripshift for himself and I asked him why he needed so many copies and he said " friends"...[/quote]lol. you should have said, "does his name starts with an E and ends with Bay? cuz hes my friend too :)" :lol:

WUT?!?!?
I've seen those in the clearance bin, will pick them up.
Personally, though, I wouldn't have posted that, because in a couple days the market will be oversaturated.

[quote name='phear3d']ok so no one is sharing any new flip successes? i'll share one since i cant find any of them anymore anyways..

KAR-DOOU643.jpg

i sold it for $150+ partially paid for my iphone :)
taking advantage of its out of print-ness? hehe

its mainly because its American Idol season.. so theres a new sequel, and for some reason the Wii version is fetching for alot of money.
[/QUOTE]

I had noticed that one as well the other day when looking up "rare" games.

[quote name='Persona7']Lol, I saw the manager at gamestop ringing up 17 copies of Gripshift for himself and I asked him why he needed so many copies and he said " friends"...[/quote]

I call bullspit. I haven't been to any gamestop that had 17 used copies of a used PSP game, or any other game for that matter, including AAA titles. That is of course, you're in San Diego since all the GS employees were hip to the exploit.

was at my sears today.
bought two mercury meltdowns for 97 CENTS each.
bought warhawk/bluetooth headphone combo for 16 bucks
ps2 network adapter 13 dollars
wii points cards for 13 dollars
wii classic controller 13 dollars

they have tons of other stuff on "clearance," some good wii games, but they are prices not meant for flipping.

[quote name='phear3d']ok so no one is sharing any new flip successes? i'll share one since i cant find any of them anymore anyways..

its mainly because its American Idol season.. so theres a new sequel, and for some reason the Wii version is fetching for alot of money.
[/quote]

This isn't going to last. I was thinking of ordering like 2-3 online for $40 each, but the market is going to take a huge plunge soon. If I can find it in a B&M store, I'll give it a shot since I won't have to go through the hassle of returning it to the online retailer.

[quote name='DarkRider23']This isn't going to last. I was thinking of ordering like 2-3 online for $40 each, but the market is going to take a huge plunge soon. If I can find it in a B&M store, I'll give it a shot since I won't have to go through the hassle of returning it to the online retailer.[/quote]it wont last and i gave up awhile ago but i happen to find one store that has it. sold it within 2 days. it was worth it.

KAR-DOOU643.jpg

[/quote]

Looks like I know what I'll be doing today. Hitting up my local GS and other 2nd hand video game stores.

I sold a P4 social link expansion pack and made enough to cover the cost of it and another one that I ended up keeping. My friend just sold his for $138 (before the amazon commission). He had an ad up and completely forgot about it until he got the email stating it was sold.

I'm sure there are many other sites, but this site seems to aggregate ebay prices for videogames.
http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/.
thats my two cents, i wouldnt have known about wii sports or gripshift if it wasnt for this thread, but my only major flip was when the wii first came out. i got one for myself and an extra that sold for $600 cash off craigslist.

[quote name='Arakias']I'm sure there are many other sites, but this site seems to aggregate ebay prices for videogames.
http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/.
thats my two cents, i wouldnt have known about wii sports or gripshift if it wasnt for this thread, but my only major flip was when the wii first came out. i got one for myself and an extra that sold for $600 cash off craigslist.[/quote]jjgames is a regular in this thread (not lately) and he runs that site. everyone uses it. basically his site does an average price for that specific title for several sources, not just ebay.

heres a good game to flip, good luck though :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370140797080

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='phear3d']jjgames is a regular in this thread (not lately) and he runs that site. everyone uses it. basically his site does an average price for that specific title for several sources, not just ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370140797080[/quote]

That right there just reminded me to pre-order two copies of Starcraft 2(CE) and keep them sealed for a couple of months/years.

[quote name='sosodead']I call bullspit. I haven't been to any gamestop that had 17 used copies of a used PSP game, or any other game for that matter, including AAA titles. That is of course, you're in San Diego since all the GS employees were hip to the exploit.[/quote]

I haven't seen a Gamestop that's had fewer than 17 used copies of GTA IV (360). Some have had as many as 35 copies, but 20-25 seems to be the median number around me.

Edit - To add some recent flipping news, I finally got around to listing some penny guides on eBay on Monday, and I made about $150 so far after shipping and fees. Not too shabby.

[quote name='phear3d']jjgames is a regular in this thread (not lately) and he runs that site. everyone uses it. basically his site does an average price for that specific title for several sources, not just ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370140797080[/quote]

I feel like I'm going to :puke: - I remember buying 2 of these on clearance at Target and hastily listing them on ebay for 3x the money I paid. Little did I know what could have been. Damn, live and learn.:bomb:

[quote name='galvatron2k1']I feel like I'm going to :puke: - I remember buying 2 of these on clearance at Target and hastily listing them on ebay for 3x the money I paid. Little did I know what could have been. Damn, live and learn.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Was that the original or that expansion pack though? Now I guess I know why there was so much hoopla over that expansion pack CE (based on the history of the original game CE). But then it was overproduced and they could barely give them away at Fry's several months ago.

[quote name='io']Was that the original or that expansion pack though? Now I guess I know why there was so much hoopla over that expansion pack CE (based on the history of the original game CE). But then it was overproduced and they could barely give them away at Fry's several months ago.[/quote]

No, I'm sure they were the originals. I was going to rush out and buy the expansion when I heard about it, thinking it would have the same success. Looking back on it, this may be my worst FLIP FLOP!

[quote name='addicted2games']I have two sealed WoW: Burning Crusade Collector Editions in my closet. Looks like I picked the wrong version to try to sell at a later date.[/quote]
expansions for wow sells ok. $100 maybe. how much were the collectors edition when you bought them?

[quote name='io']:shock: Holy freakin' crap! Why!? Why on earth!? No piece of modern media should be worth that much. I mean, seriously, that has got to have sold for more than many ancient manuscripts.[/QUOTE]

It's WoW. Nothing about WoW makes sense!

In exchange for the American Idol tip, I'll share my own, though it may be obvious to some of you :)
if you want to resell Wii Fit, split up the game and balance board. you can get $80 for the board and $60+ for the game. I actually just sold the game for $76 + $4 shipping, but that was kind of a freak occurrence ;)

[quote name='phear3d']expansions for wow sells ok. $100 maybe. how much were the collectors edition when you bought them?[/QUOTE]

I think $69.99? It was awhile ago.

[quote name='ninja dog']In exchange for the American Idol tip, I'll share my own, though it may be obvious to some of you :)
if you want to resell Wii Fit, split up the game and balance board. you can get $80 for the board and $60+ for the game. I actually just sold the game for $76 + $4 shipping, but that was kind of a freak occurrence ;)
[/quote]could be worth it. but unless you can buy wii fit for less than $90 + tax, you wont make as much as you should.. probably nets you $130+ minus ebay and paypal fees..

wow! and that one's actually in stock around me.

Also, if you do the Wii Fit split up, go WAYYYYY overboard in making it clear that it's for either game-only or board only.

The amount of times I've had to refund/mutually withdraw from auctions over the past three days has made me lose hope in the future of humanity. I've been sending emails after the fact to confirm with the person that they understood what they were bidding on. All the responses are like this:
NO i THOUGHT IT WAS FOR THE BALANCE BOARD, I DON'T WANT IT IF IT DOESN'T HAVE THE BOARD WHY WOULD I PAY THAT KIND OF MONEY FOR JUST THE GAME

that's a copy/paste from the latest idiot.

for comparison, here's the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330303089348&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I mentioned "no board" 3 times and the pic is just the game. :roll:

[quote name='ninja dog']

The amount of times I've had to refund/mutually withdraw from auctions over the past three days has made me lose hope in the future of humanity.
[/QUOTE]

Not the least bit surprising. My latest hassle is some dude who bought both of the PS2 network adaptors I managed to find at GS a few weeks ago. He outbids everyone for the first one and doesn't pay 5+ days later. I list my second one and he starts bidding on that - finally he sends me a response saying he wants to wait till that one is over before paying for both. Somewhat annoying (since he didn't say anything for several days on the first one) but that'll work I suppose - can combine shipping and all that. Plus I figure in his desire to get the two sent together he might drive up the price on that second one (and hopefully not win it). Unfortunately, he does win it - it ended last Saturday. I haven't heard a thing since then. So he wins TWO of my auctions for the same item and is just going to ignore both. The guy has 200+ feedback and I looked at his bidding history and this is all he's been buying. TO make matters worse, he's getting positive feedback for other network adaptor auctions and the prices on those are the same as mine (so he's not ignoring mine because they cost more). I just don't get it.

I currently have 6 unpaid item disputes going, and have only run maybe 15 auctions in the last few weeks. People really suck right now. On the plus side, I have gotten most of my Gripshifts sent off and even gotten feedback on a few I sent to Japan (just one of the unpaids is for Gripshift - though I closed another a few days ago). Interesting side note: of the 8 Gripshift auctions I've had only one went to a U.S. buyer. Three went to Japan, one to the Phillippines, and three to Italy. However, it was those Italian buyers who flaked out on me - had to file unpaids on 2 of them (and the total includes one of those relisted - I had 3 new and 4 used copies to sell). What pisses me off more than anything on the unpaids is having to wait around for them. I haven't been able to relist the network adaptors or that last Gripshift until I can get through the entire eBay refund process - because the buyers could still pay at any time until it is closed. I have actually had that happen before (buyer pays after I file the unpaid dispute) though it is very rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']The guy has 200+ feedback and I looked at his bidding history and this is all he's been buying. [/quote]

Whats the dude's name? The same guy bought both of my adapters, though he did pay pretty fast.

The gripshift i sold on ebay wound up having to be refunded too. The guy's confirmed address on paypal didn't work and wound up coming back to me with a "insufficient address' label on it.
Not to mention that the psp case was destroyed. Luckily the UMD was fine and i just sold it on Amazon for about the same price as ebay.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Whats the dude's name? The same guy bought both of my adapters, though he did pay pretty fast.
[/QUOTE]

32814ac

He has bought so many (his entire last page of feedback is solely for network adaptor purchases :shock:) it is possible he just forgot about mine. But I have sent a few invoices, a few personal messages, and just filed unpaids on both auctions in the last couple of days. And still nothing from him.

I really don't get it either - he got mine for an average of $50, yet his latest feedback is for one he spent $60 on from a low-feedback seller.

[quote name='62t']mind letting us know the user name of that person? I am planning to sell a network adapter soon[/quote]

He already did.

[quote name='io']32814ac

He has bought so many (his entire last page of feedback is solely for network adaptor purchases :shock:) it is possible he just forgot about mine. But I have sent a few invoices, a few personal messages, and just filed unpaids on both auctions in the last couple of days. And still nothing from him.

I really don't get it either - he got mine for an average of $50, yet his latest feedback is for one he spent $60 on from a low-feedback seller.[/quote]

[quote name='io']32814ac

I really don't get it either - he got mine for an average of $50, yet his latest feedback is for one he spent $60 on from a low-feedback seller.[/QUOTE]

That same seller bought two off of me. With that said, it took him about a week to pay up. All was fine, just wait it out.

[quote name='io']32814ac

I really don't get it either - he got mine for an average of $50, yet his latest feedback is for one he spent $60 on from a low-feedback seller.[/quote]

fuck that dude! He got 1 from me too. I've sent him 2 messages asking if he still wanted the damn thing. 1st time, he told me that he would pay on Wednesday. On Thursday, I asked him again and he said he would pay on Monday (today). If I wake up in the morning and I don't see the money, then it's going to be an unpaid item strike. fuck being nice, I'm getting sick of this shit.

I love this thread, Just sold two American Idols for $115 shipped. It appears that two stores near me have the duck hunt game, so I'm gonna go hunt that game down tomorrow

[quote name='gomikeoh']That same seller bought two off of me. With that said, it took him about a week to pay up. All was fine, just wait it out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='galvatron2k1']fuck that dude! He got 1 from me too. I've sent him 2 messages asking if he still wanted the damn thing. 1st time, he told me that he would pay on Wednesday. On Thursday, I asked him again and he said he would pay on Monday (today). If I wake up in the morning and I don't see the money, then it's going to be an unpaid item strike. fuck being nice, I'm getting sick of this shit.[/QUOTE]

He won the first one from me on Jan 10th and didn't say a word for a whole week after that. When I listed another to end on the 17th he said he wanted to wait till that was over to pay. It has now been 9 days since that auction ended and I haven't heard a word from him.

So I now have 2 unpaids open against him. Don't you get temp banned from eBay if you get 3 strikes in 30 days? If so, me and galvaron can put him out for a bit just with our auctions. And I can't imagine we're the only ones. Anyway, he has 6 more days to reply to the unpaid disputes before I can close them. That gives him 2 weeks from the end of the second auction he won - that's plenty of time. If he doesn't pay by then he gets 2 unpaid strikes from me for sure.

It is just really annoying - don't bid on shit if you aren't going to pay within a few days at least. There's really no excuse not to pay same day (but at least on a regular auction vs a BIN I can sort of see not paying the minute it closes).

On the other hand, this guy bids on so many of these he is probably single-handedly boosting the prices of a lot of auctions for them ;). Hopefully he doesn't engage in massive chargebacks when this is all done. He must be reselling them in some way but I'm not sure how.

[quote name='io']He won the first one from me on Jan 10th and didn't say a word for a whole week after that. When I listed another to end on the 17th he said he wanted to wait till that was over to pay. It has now been 9 days since that auction ended and I haven't heard a word from him.

So I now have 2 unpaids open against him. Don't you get temp banned from eBay if you get 3 strikes in 30 days? If so, me and galvaron can put him out for a bit just with our auctions. And I can't imagine we're the only ones. Anyway, he has 6 more days to reply to the unpaid disputes before I can close them. That gives him 2 weeks from the end of the second auction he won - that's plenty of time. If he doesn't pay by then he gets 2 unpaid strikes from me for sure.

It is just really annoying - don't bid on shit if you aren't going to pay within a few days at least. There's really no excuse not to pay same day (but at least on a regular auction vs a BIN I can sort of see not paying the minute it closes).

On the other hand, this guy bids on so many of these he is probably single-handedly boosting the prices of a lot of auctions for them ;). Hopefully he doesn't engage in massive chargebacks when this is all done. He must be reselling them in some way but I'm not sure how.[/quote]

I guarantee his ass is out come tomorrow morning (if that rule is true). I'm not playing around. I gave him 2 chances already and it's my bad for letting it hang around this long. No more communication, it's a done deal. Matter of fact... 12:01AM, his ass is out!

[quote name='Bezerker']I love this thread, Just sold two American Idols for $115 shipped. It appears that two stores near me have the duck hunt game, so I'm gonna go hunt that game down tomorrow[/QUOTE]

What kind of store are you talking about? I checked GS and there's none of those Duck Hunt games within 100 miles of me. Is there another store where you can check stock on things like this?

galvatron - Unfortunately he won't get the strikes for at least 8 days after you file against him (assuming he just ignores them). So I don't think we can put him out immediately, but in a week mine will go on his record.

[quote name='Bezerker']I love this thread, Just sold two American Idols for $115 shipped. It appears that two stores near me have the duck hunt game, so I'm gonna go hunt that game down tomorrow[/quote]

Did you sell two new A.I.'s or were they used? I haven't been able to find a new one, but then again, I haven't been looking extremely hard either.

bread's done
Back