Flip Successes and Flip Flops

[quote name='gomikeoh']So this past month (holiday season) I have sold about 30 wii sports and 10 gripshifts.

I bought the wii sports for 10 bucks at gamestop and made about 30 dollar profit off each
Then I bought 10 gripshifts for about 70 bucks (7 each) and I just sold my last one on ebay. Average gripshift sold for about 55 dollars....

55X10= 550
30X 30 = 900
7 ps2 network adapters for 13 bucks each after 20% accesories coupon - sold on ebay for 30 bucks profit average so about 200 overall...

total ~1650

in pure profit just for a months work.

Easiest money I have ever made.[/QUOTE]

for pure profit, i think you ought to subtract the cost of the games and the cost of ebay fees and shipping etc to calculate that. otherwise you just figured out your gross cash income. at least you only indicate the network adapters as earning you profit and not the others.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I sold my five Gripshifts. I had lowered the price to 44.99 because it looked like the market was saturated. Then their vlaues rose again and a flipper (I assume since he bought them all) snagged them all. I'm a little pissed I wasn't paying more attention, but oh well. I'll ship these out and probably buy a few more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got hosed on mine as one on the weekend as one ended at just $39. I nearly always do BIN but went with regular auctions after hearing how well some people here did with them - teaches me ;). Then another ended at $40 Tuesday and another at $39 Wednesday. I just figured that was the going rate now (still good compared to the GS cost since these are disc-only copies). But then I decided to check completed auctions and was pretty pissed because very low feedback sellers with vague descriptions and no picture sold theirs for $70-$80 at exactly the same time as my last one. WTF!? I have TONS of feedback - all positive and near 5.0 DSRs across the board. These jackasses had like 21 feedback and their descriptions said things like "may or may not come with a manual". Mine had an actual picture and detailed description of the condition :bomb:.

Oh well. At least I averted compounding my mistake. The last guy who won at $39 wanted more than 1 and I almost sold him my last one because I thought I did pretty well at first. Then I checked and decided against that - listed it for tomorrow and NOW it is already up over $50 with several hours left. I don't know what the hell the difference is unless the value is jumping back up again (this thing is all over the place!). I also had a new one up with a BIN of $75 and that sold all of a sudden. And I found another new one last night too, so I still have that. Struck out getting the one from GS I went out to get though - store locator still shows it there but they said no... And the good news on one of my $39 copies is that I have yet to hear from the buyer after 3 days - hopefully it stays that way and I can relist it!

I did make one minor tweak to my description but I can't believe this would make a difference - if it does buyers are idiots because they could get cheaper ones by not messing with the stupid ULUS thing. But I had my others listed as ULUS-10040 in the subtitle field (which should be found during searches anyway). I noticed those really high ones had ULUS10040 (no dash) listed in the main title. So I made that change - we'll see how it goes. Really stupid as all you need to search on is "gripshift psp" and you'll find all you can handle! Though my current one is now higher than my last ones finished, the views number isn't all that high, so I doubt the title change made a difference. I think the value is just back up again and it was just dumb luck (and dumb buyers) that made my others go so low.

[quote name='SlammedNiss'] I guess somebody is bitter they can't find their own to flip.[/QUOTE]

Considering what these are used for I have absolutely no problem making a profit on them ;).

Yea it was very strange it drop to the $30 range and now back up. Now I just need to figure out how to fix my broken copy.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Went to a couple of pawn shops this afternoon in search of more gripshifts. They had absolutely zero PSP games. WTF? My 2 that I got from CDTradepost end on ebay tomorrow. Some jerkoff sent me a message yesterday saying I guess somebody is bitter they can't find their own to flip.

Had another guy offer me $80 for the pair I already have, and I politely turned him down.[/quote]i hate people messaging you on ebay because you wanna make money. fucking jealous bastards. i feel as if these people have nothing better to do than to go on ebay and randomly message people because what they're doing seems to be unethical to themselves.

Successes:

-Currently have over $1xxx.xx in GS credit with HWV $3.99 flips, taking advantage of trade 2 Wii games save $30 promo, flipping my own stuff
-Most of the stuff in my TL, PS1-wise was free due to the BB/GR initial deal of trade 2, get any game for $5/$10, and back and forth with GS (I have 2 Valkyrie Profile's (had 3, but sold 1 to a friend's brother for $30 (cost at the time)), had 2 Intelligent Qubes (sold 1 on CAG), have 3 Tactics Ogre, had 2 of each Bust a Groove (but a good friend used to like it back in the day, so I gave him 1 of each))
-Warioware Smooth Moves (Wii), could buy for $28 new at BB, sell for $65 easy on ebay, or used at GS during B2G1 avg $25, sold for $50
-Kororinpa (Wii) back at $16.96 at CC or $20 at Wal-Mart, flipped for $40, although I should've waited, b/c now they go for $70, I know b/c I did hold onto one, and sold it for that much
-Kororinpa (Wii), used at GS, $27, sold for $60, picked up another that I'm gonna list in a few days
-Excite Truck (Wii), $16.96 clearance at CC, $40 on ebay this past Christmas
-Metal Slug Anthology (Wii), $16.96 clearance at CC, $30 on ebay this past Christmas
-Both Trauma Center's (Wii), one @ $16.96 CC, one @ $9.99 amazon, bundled for $70 this past Christmas
-Lego Batman (PS2), $4 HWV, $24 on ebay
-4 Wavebirds (probably $18 a pop at GS used) - $130 this past Christmas on ebay
-2 Wavebirds " " - $55 a couple days ago

Flops:
-Losing a bunch of money on things where the bottom's fallen out, stuff still on my TL
(Godzilla Save the Earth (PS2), Guilty Gear X2 (PS2), Guitar Hero (PS2), Guitar Hero II (PS2), Okami (PS2), Way of the Samurai 2 (PS2), Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP), Hori Dead or Alive 4 Arcade sticks (360, back when these were the only sticks on the 360, sold a couple for $80+))
-A bunch of GC games that I ended up trading in b/c the bottom fell out, mainly first party stuff
-Not selling the Pikmin games when they were going for $100+ (I think) when Super Smash Bros Brawl first hit
-Currently have a sealed Game Boy Player for the Gamecube that I paid $60 for at Sears, should've unloaded that a long time ago, did get $1xx.xx for the one I got at KMart for $5 though
-Currently have a DDR Mario Mix bundle, used, but still. Did flip at least 6 of those a few Christmases ago, paid $50, sold for $120 I think
-Bought 2 Chrome Les Paul faceplates for $3.74 (75% off at a closing HWV)

Wow guys, this thread is really inspiring. I just spent about an hour (no lie) reading every entry in the 8 pages here word-for-word. Good to see some good successes. I have to say I've flipped a good deal in the past, but my problem is I amass too many games until they're generally worthless (I never know how to long to hold onto things and when I do sell them they always seem to go way up months later after I've sold them...doh!).

I will definitely have to look into Gripshift though. None around here, but some not too too far away. May be worth the drive. Hmmm

Question: When you guys walk into a Gamestop and buy every copy of Wii Sports, what on earth do you tell them? Surely they question this as sort of suspicious...

My 2 complete copies of gripshift sold for $51 each. Shipping one to Thailand and the other to Japan. After original cost ($22) and ebay/paypal fees, I should net around $70.

[quote name='goomba478']
Question: When you guys walk into a Gamestop and buy every copy of Wii Sports, what on earth do you tell them? Surely they question this as sort of suspicious...
[/quote]

Most gamestop's never have more than 1-2 Wii Sports in stock. I did come across this one gamestop that had 3 once. I bought 2 just to not act a little suspicious and left the third one behind. If a B2G1 sale was going on, I could have just said I came into get 2 and the third one was free so why not? Otherwise, I stick to 2. It's really a no brainer every time I walk into gamestop though. I'm lucky if I find just one.

Okay that makes sense. There's no way the Gamestops around me would let me buy more than 2-3 copies max. It doesn't help that I'm in there all the time and they know me really well. I walk in and they say "What coupon are you using today" or "Is there a sale going on"...

My biggest success was back in late December 2006 when TRU had a clearance on Atelier Iris 2, Steambot Chronicles, Metal Saga, Grandia III, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for $10 each. Normally my TRU usually has no clearance games but for some reason it had maybe 25 copies of each.

After hooking up at least 12 different CAG's with cheap TRU games (I got the feedback to prove it :cool:), I spent $200 buying a total of 20 games (a mix between Atelier Iris 2, Steambot Chronicles, and Metal Saga). Each game netted $25 in store credit from Blockbuster.

I basically turned $200 into $500 worth of store credit, and used that to buy 4 DS Lites which I then flipped on eBay for around $150 each (since they were in real short supply at the time). Unfortunately all of that money went to rent because I wasn't working at the time which basically let me buy all those games and flip them during the afternoon (though I had to go to 4 different Blockbusters).

All in all it was a good time since I got to give back to CAG, get my feedback up, and make money when I was out of a job.

[quote name='Kendro']My biggest success was back in late December 2006 when TRU had a clearance on Atelier Iris 2, Steambot Chronicles, Metal Saga, Grandia III, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for $10 each. Normally my TRU usually has no clearance games but for some reason it had maybe 25 copies of each.

After hooking up at least 12 different CAG's with cheap TRU games (I got the feedback to prove it :cool:), I spent $200 buying a total of 20 games (a mix between Atelier Iris 2, Steambot Chronicles, and Metal Saga). Each game netted $25 in store credit from Blockbuster.

I basically turned $200 into $500 worth of store credit, and used that to buy 4 DS Lites which I then flipped on eBay for around $150 each (since they were in real short supply at the time). Unfortunately all of that money went to rent because I wasn't working at the time which basically let me buy all those games and flip them during the afternoon (though I had to go to 4 different Blockbusters).

All in all it was a good time since I got to give back to CAG, get my feedback up, and make money when I was out of a job.[/QUOTE]

Yea I remember getting a game from you.

[quote name='Mafiacrooks']My Gripshift got de-listed by Ebay for Copyright Infrigment.....DOESN'T MAKE fuckING SENSE.[/QUOTE]
probably someone bitched and got jealous... also u probably wrote "Exploit psp" all over the auction or something.

Mine got removed as well, don't worry I sent a 2 page letter to ebay via email about it and their handing of such things not limited to new feedback and fees(modded consoles are still all over ebay and they never get flagged). I figure if I bitch enough something will happen.

I don't have any listed now but mine were fine earlier in the week. Did you guys mention the PSP-3000 at all in the listings? I didn't mention it - I was just selling this game after all...

Funny thing, though, is that I just sent one to Italy and got a message back from the buyer asking me to send the modification guide for the PSP 3000 to their email address :rofl:.

Like I said, I didn't mention the PSP 3000 or any modification stuff in my auction and since I've never modded a PSP myself (of any sort) I really have no idea how to do it. Hopefully the dufus doesn't think I was selling that info as well :roll:.

This was a flip that happened in my dream the other night:I Bought a GBASP at the dollar store,went to videotron and filpped it and got 235$ Store Credit.I Bought A PSP With 2 Non-existing Games:Burnout 3 And lord of the rings the two towers.

[quote name='goomba478']
[/quote]you just go in there, buy them all. dont even say anything. just buy it. try not to use your edge card when buying it since some people did that and got banned after doing it too many times. they'll label you as reseller.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']My 2 complete copies of gripshift sold for $51 each. Shipping one to Thailand and the other to Japan. After original cost ($22) and ebay/paypal fees, I should net around $70.[/quote]the market is too saturated now that everyone knows. i actually found 2 sealed copies, but the guy wants $40 for each so i didnt buy it.

[quote name='GameBoyee']This was a flip that happened in my dream the other night:I Bought a GBASP at the dollar store,went to videotron and filpped it and got 235$ Store Credit.I Bought A PSP With 2 Non-existing Games:Burnout 3 And lord of the rings the two towers.[/quote]WTF?!

[quote name='omg itz adam']they asked why i bought 3 gripshifts and i told them it was for a school experiment[/QUOTE]

you should have told them to flip on ebay.

[quote name='ananag112']I traded a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (GCN) for $20 at GameStop towards Viewtiful Joe.[/QUOTE]

My best flip, happened last night actually! I'm a newb so it will get better. Pawning tomorrow!

Anyway, I bought The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition sealed at a garage sale for $5 this summer. Just sold it on Amazon for $65 after fees.

37.00 isnt bad I sold one as a buy it now for 45 to someone in Japan, you have to remember how much you have into the game if its 7.50ish after your edge card at gamestop and tax it cost you 10 cents to list it and ebay and pay pal will take 2-3 dollars and you only paid 7.50 your still walking away with 25+ profit which is good for doing nothing.

Yesterday I spent $2 on a Mercury Meltdown REvolution Wii & Flipper Critters @ Sears and got $10 for them @ another store which happens to be selling Fire Emblem Wii for $10 New. I'll probably keep Fire Emblem sealed as it seems like it'd be the type of game to go up in value, especially once the DS version comes out.

One of my better flips from last year was the copy of Microsoft Office Student Teacher Edition I bought for $.50 at a yard sale and sold for $140 on ebay. Ready for the next YS season to begin.

Flipping flop was getting Blast Works for 9.99 at Best Buy and just now reselling them for $7 on ebay.

I might sale off my Castlevania Portrait of Ruin Bonus package. It's factory sealed and I think I've seen them go for like $40.

Here's another one for me. I went to Target like 8 months ago or whenever they had the 30GB Zunes for $90 clearance. I bought two of them, and sold one on ebay for $180 shipped. I basically got mine for near free after fees. I should have bought the two I had left in the store but they were sold the very next day. Well, I guess I can say I didn't hoard them all. :)

Flip Flop:
I bought about 10 of the new Elmo Lives when they came out. Every store ended up having them in stock (50+) everyday throughout Christmas. Thought for sure they'd get me $150+ but people were selling them on eBay below cost. I ended up returning them and got my money back minus the cost of shipping it twice (to me and shipped back in). I was worried I wouldn't be able to because KB Toys went under and thought I'd be stuck with them. I'll take a $30 loss over $450 though.

The deal of the year has to go to HWV flips. I probably have about $900 in credit still after buying 2 Wiis, 5 or more games, points cards, and controllers. It was definitely a lot of fun going to different stores. Never did find recent games except for Mercs 2 and Fifa 09. It's just funny going into the store and putting a stack of games on the counter for the sale and they have no idea what you're talking about. They didn't want to sell me $40 games for $3.99 but a week or 2 later, they actually had the signs up. I couldn't believe the asking price for a USED guitar hero 3 was $40. Probably ended up buying 75+ games over the course of 2 months.

About $630. I sold 2 Wiis to lessen the costs. $250 for 1 and $270 for the other and sold 1 game for $45. So.... all in all, my OOP expenses have been $65 and I still have about $820 left (bought a Wii Fit tonight).

[quote name='Hiei69']I might sale off my Castlevania Portrait of Ruin Bonus package. It's factory sealed and I think I've seen them go for like $40.[/quote]its around $50. i would not sell it unless theres a new castlevania game coming out. its a really good set so it should be worth more..

Mine was buying several Guitar Hero World Tour bundles with a coupon and free shipping, then selling them. Granted at the end I sold everything, but a couple of folks that said they would buy it from me flaked once I placed the order and received it, so I was sweating for a bit. I sold the game plus 2 wired guitars several times over, got to keep a copy of the game, and still came out $30 ahead.

I didn't gouge folks too bad for ethical reasons, plus I had to invest a couple hundred bucks in all. All the buyers felt like they got a good deal, and I felt like I made enough (barely) to make it worth my trouble and money up front.

After reading some of these threads about people making money by flipping, I was wondering what games/items out there are worth flipping? I am not looking for anything specific, but just an idea of what to look out for before I invest my money trying to flip.

I guess you have to really pay attention about the gaming industry to be able to make money.

well we know it's not a wedding ring, because instead of being a douchebag he would've just been miserable.

My best flips occurred during these deals:

MicroCTR Coupon
TRGT Coupon
BB B1G1
TRU F4
HMV Last Gen

I don't flip for profit in any means, however I've picked up 4 gripshifts due to this thread and haven't sold any because of the saturation of the game. I've been forced to throw one onto ebay... we'll see what happens.

[quote name='rayee6']After reading some of these threads about people making money by flipping, I was wondering what games/items out there are worth flipping? I am not looking for anything specific, but just an idea of what to look out for before I invest my money trying to flip.

I guess you have to really pay attention about the gaming industry to be able to make money.[/quote]

You can do your own research over at www.vgpc.com or by searching completed listings at www.ebay.com

Well, no one is buying the Gripshifts in my area, so I'm grabbing the last two. There's also a new one that just popped up, but that's out of the way from the other Gamestops. I'll grab that one next week if it's still there. It's a nice little flip, but it's a shame I wasn't in on this when they were fetching 100 dollars.

What about holding onto Gripshift? What is everyone's opinion on that? Will Gripshift eventually not be able to hack the PSP? (For instance, do people still use the Lumines disc?)

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Well, no one is buying the Gripshifts in my area, so I'm grabbing the last two. There's also a new one that just popped up, but that's out of the way from the other Gamestops. I'll grab that one next week if it's still there. It's a nice little flip, but it's a shame I wasn't in on this when they were fetching 100 dollars.

What about holding onto Gripshift? What is everyone's opinion on that? Will Gripshift eventually not be able to hack the PSP? (For instance, do people still use the Lumines disc?)[/quote] I think you'll always be able to use it, but they'll invent a pandora battery and it'll be pointless.

Also, sold my last gripshift for $50 BIN to some guy in Brazil today. Not bad. ^_^

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Well, no one is buying the Gripshifts in my area, so I'm grabbing the last two. There's also a new one that just popped up, but that's out of the way from the other Gamestops. I'll grab that one next week if it's still there. It's a nice little flip, but it's a shame I wasn't in on this when they were fetching 100 dollars.

What about holding onto Gripshift? What is everyone's opinion on that? Will Gripshift eventually not be able to hack the PSP? (For instance, do people still use the Lumines disc?)[/QUOTE]

Lumines doenst work on newer system, and i bet the next revision gripshift wont work either

Lol, I saw the manager at gamestop ringing up 17 copies of Gripshift for himself and I asked him why he needed so many copies and he said " friends"...

[quote name='Persona7']Lol, I saw the manager at gamestop ringing up 17 copies of Gripshift for himself and I asked him why he needed so many copies and he said " friends"...[/QUOTE]

and they get mad at resellers and ban them. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

[quote name='Persona7']Lol, I saw the manager at gamestop ringing up 17 copies of Gripshift for himself and I asked him why he needed so many copies and he said " friends"...[/quote]

that guy will DEFINITELY be fired...just like i was for trading in TWO OF THE SAME GAME to GS

bread's done
Back