Free full 1 year eca membership no purchase needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallascowboys

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most people who paid for it are a bit bummed. Wish I waited a week, but I assume that this was done to boost the number of members that " fight for major issues confronting gaming consumers today."

As far as they're concerned, people who signed up for this are paying members. With that said, I repeat this... "A benefit is a benefit. If this is the reason you paid for it, that's on you. The main reason they wanted your money was to support the gaming industry and not for freebies. That's also the reason you gave them money in their book."

[quote name='Lt Dan']1st to the op

YOU
ARE
DA
(WO?)MAN

2nd...2 days ago, I had to buy a new xbox because my launch 360 RR'd on me. I decided to go all out and buy a elite off amazon with all my gc, paid $108 outta pocket.

...know how much I wished I waited those few days now? ;_;[/QUOTE]

Except this doesn't even mean anything, since the ECA isn't for console purchases. It's only for software.

[quote name='Interfeci']Amazon will no longer have video games in stock after tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Lol, hope nobody plans on having their games shipped this year either!

In for one but I doubt I will use it much since I don't have a credit card and have to ask to use someone's card every time I use Amazon. Really wish they still took Bill Me Later or even Paypal. Plus I like to have my new games on release day and don't want to pay for Prime beyond the trial. This isn't touching Hollywood Video for deal of the year either in my book.

QUESTION:
I have 4 different video games preordered on amazon, many of them I used promo gc's on. If I cancel my orders and use these coupon codes from ECA, do I lose the promo GCs that were applied to my orders?

Doesn't seem to be working at the moment, at least not for me. I made an account, was never given the option to pay for anything or input any coupon code, and when I click on the Member's Area link it says my access is denied and I need to log in. Maybe there's just something I am missing.

EDIT: Whoops, I'm an idiot. I verified that I wanted the newsletter, not my account. Working now. Clicked the link in another email they sent and I'm at the payment page.

YOU
ARE
DA
(WO?)MAN

2nd...2 days ago, I had to buy a new xbox because my launch 360 RR'd on me. I decided to go all out and buy a elite off amazon with all my gc, paid $108 outta pocket.

Don't worry. The 10% doesn't apply to consoles. :)

Haven't done ECA yet, may do it with this "deal". However, I don't quite understand why people think this will be the death of the 10% off coupons. If amazon was losing money with every 10% off coupon, they would not do it - even for paid-ECA members. On the contrary, getting 10% off, people will spent more money with amazon. Money they would otherwise not spend or spend at a different store.

[quote name='Jodou']I seriously can't believe they did this. Not only is it going to run unchecked, but it's a slap in the face to people who paid for the membership. They're just opening the floodgate to resale of codes (it's free; nothing to lose) and it's going to kill this benefit. Pretty sad really.[/QUOTE]

Im with you there.

I wouldnt be surprised if they used this to discontinue that promotion all together, I do not think they enjoy the process of procuring the new codes and all the heat they get from their members when they dry up.

With the bajiliion members that will be signing up I think this unfortunately
spells the end for our 10% coupons :\

[quote name='Hostile']As far as they're concerned, people who signed up for this are paying members.[/QUOTE]
You're not looking at the long-term effects. Nobody is going to re-up a year later when it has no benefits because all the benefits will have been exploited and terminated. Benefits are supposed to hold value and when the value is nothing, they die.

if they cancel codes all together because of the influx of people it will suck for those who actually paid for their membership. I didn't, but I only make a few retail purchases from amazon yearly and usually not at more than 40. So if it goes because of this I feel for you guys who paid.

[quote name='Interfeci']Amazon will no longer have video games in stock after tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. If you're Amazon, aren't you like, whoa our sales just skyrocketed!!! I'd figure they'd want to sell more, even if it's at a few bucks off per sale, because they're making more sales they wouldn't normally have had. This eventually means more money in their pockets. And, if I was a competitor, I'd be noticing my inventory sitting around collecting dust wondering WTF happened, which if I looked at the market, means hmmmm maybe my prices are too high and I should lower them.

[quote name='Camel']Doesn't seem to be working at the moment, at least not for me. I made an account, was never given the option to pay for anything or input any coupon code, and when I click on the Member's Area link it says my access is denied and I need to log in. Maybe there's just something I am missing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had to same problem. You are going to have to follow the link again. It only appears in the cart after you follow the link. Might have to go to My account and think click the link to send another email to reactivate it or something. See if this works.

Did anyone else get a free subscription to the ECA back in January? Apparently I have a free subscription to them and it's going to resubscribe even though I don't have a credit card on the account.

Well maybe its being offered for free because of all the sales Amazon was making plus you'll have all the people who get prime after waiting a week for their preorders to ship.

ehmm... dont want to sound noobish or anything... but now that i signed up for this, how can i get the discounts?! is there a code?!

[quote name='Jodou']You're not looking at the long-term effects. Nobody is going to re-up a year later when it has no benefits because all the benefits will have been exploited and terminated. Benefits are supposed to hold value and when the value is nothing, they die.[/QUOTE]

You feel in the long term the eca could take a dive completely due to lack of funding caused by exploitation of this promotion?

Does anybody know if you lose your promo GC's if you cancel an order and then rebook it?
For example I booked L4D2 on amazon using my $30 gc promo from trading in games, i Post it below. If I cancel it to use the 10% coupon, will I lose the $30 promo gc I got originally?

Item(s) Subtotal: $54.99
Shipping & Handling: $4.49
Promotion Applied: -$10.00
Promotion Applied: -$10.00
Promotion Applied: -$30.00
Super Saver Discount: -$4.49
----- Total Before Tax: $4.99
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Gift Certificate/Card Amount: $4.99
----- Grand Total: $0.00

[quote name='Lt Dan']QUESTION:
I have 4 different video games preordered on amazon, many of them I used promo gc's on. If I cancel my orders and use these coupon codes from ECA, do I lose the promo GCs that were applied to my orders?[/QUOTE]
Yes, you do. In fact they're sending every canceled GC to me as we speak.

Don't be silly, of course you get a refund.

[quote name='choffy21']Wonder how long this will last. Maybe it'll be around in March when I have to renew my membership...[/QUOTE]

You might as well sign up for a new account that will last till next Sept.

[quote name='Killbomb']In for one but I doubt I will use it much since I don't have a credit card and have to ask to use someone's card every time I use Amazon. Really wish they still took Bill Me Later or even Paypal. Plus I like to have my new games on release day and don't want to pay for Prime beyond the trial. This isn't touching Hollywood Video for deal of the year either in my book.[/QUOTE]

...But you can generate a card number through paypal. That gets rid of all the hoops you apparently have to jump through.

[quote name='AceSXE']You feel in the long term the eca could take a dive completely due to lack of funding caused by exploitation of this promotion?[/QUOTE]
I'm confident that unless the promotions are still around in a years time, that yes, they will lose more than just these new free memberships. . .

[quote name='persianhero']ehmm... dont want to sound noobish or anything... but now that i signed up for this, how can i get the discounts?! is there a code?![/QUOTE]

ehm cancel that! found it!

YOU
ARE
DA
(WO?)MAN

ECA only works on software and accessories(though the wording was changed recently to only software, it still seems to work on accessories). Consoles don't get discounts anyway.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']You might as well sign up for a new account that will last till next Sept.[/QUOTE]
For real, what's to stop people who were about to be due to create a new faux account?

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!

[quote name='Jodou']For real, what's to stop people who were about to be due to create a new faux account?

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?![/QUOTE]

You ever watch AVGN? That red/bolded line is a favorite of his. Man I rather lose my .edu discount and pay 20$ a year to keep this going...well forever, than to lose it indefinitely.

We can only hope amazon makes enough off videogame sales that THEY paid eca to give this away free and have the entire internet sign up with them to shop at amazon. That's the best case scenario. I can only hope.

[quote name='Jodou']You're not looking at the long-term effects. Nobody is going to re-up a year later when it has no benefits because all the benefits will have been exploited and terminated. Benefits are supposed to hold value and when the value is nothing, they die.[/QUOTE]

Maybe a short-term upsurge in members is better for them get money from who really pay them, which is big companies and not these memberships. Maybe they'll be giving free memberships soon. Who knows.

[quote name='Vortextk']You ever watch AVGN? That red/bolded line is a favorite of his. Man I rather lose my .edu discount and pay 20$ a year to keep this going...well forever, than to lose it indefinitely.

We can only hope amazon makes enough off videogames sale that THEY paid eca to give this away free and have the entire internet sign up with them to shop at amazon. That's the best case scenario. I can only hope.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. I think we're nearing the end of these codes unfortunately.

[quote name='pelf21']this is sweet....just cancelled and re-preordered a few games with the 10% discount....very nice[/QUOTE]

i did the exact same thing haha

I don't know if I want to take this deal. I might forget to pay next year when my subscription is up. Doesn't anyone find this a problem?

Registered with the code.

I was contemplating on whether I should register for this, and now they come up with this promotion? Schweet.

[quote name='johnmirra']i did the exact same thing haha[/QUOTE]
Same.

Thanks for letting me know :D

I would do this for the MW2 Prestige edition I preordered with my 50% off coupon, but I don't wanna risk losing that.

Just got back $16.49 in gc for doing this, thanks again op! :D

[quote name='Lt Dan']Same.

Thanks for letting me know :D

I would do this for the MW2 Prestige edition I preordered with my 50% off coupon, but I don't wanna risk losing that.

Just got back $16.49 in gc for doing this, thanks again op! :D[/QUOTE]

At the least, e-mail them about adding a code to that pre-order to see if they will.

[quote name='canza']I don't know if I want to take this deal. I might forget to pay next year when my subscription is up. Doesn't anyone find this a problem?[/QUOTE]

no, you can disable the recurring fee once you make your account

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back