Free SCEA game for those who had memory cards erased by demo.

[quote name='Msia']Thanks for the heads up, I also got PO BOX 5888, any other confirmations?[/quote]

This is what I was told, as well.

[quote name='evilmax17']These disks cost 5 bucks apiece right? It's not like you'd be getting the game for "free", and Sly2 isn't really worth the effort for me.[/quote]

...no sony mails these discs to you for free. So you actually do get a game for free.

I received two of the Holiday 2004 discs from Sony, and they were both the same, and neither have VJ2 on them.

Hrmmm, I'm a member of the underground, yet I haven't gotten one of these. Is there a seperate list that you need to sign up for?

Just got one of the faulty demo discs this week, was playing VJ2 and game went black as i was playing a boss, i took memory card out though so nothing erased......but.....

EDIT : heres a few more they offer
Jak 2(confirmed)
cracken(sp?)
socom
dark cloud 2
arc the lad

Sweet. And i almost just threw that demo away because i didn't care about any of those games on it. Hot Shots 4 here i come!

Karma anyone? [-X

If you were truly affected by the glitch, then accept Sony's gracious apology. If not and you take advantage of it, then you are just re-enforcing what the Best Buy and other retailers think about us bargain hunters. Whether some of you care about what BB thinks is irrelevant. If the beliefs of BB spread to other stores then things will get worse for sites like this.

[quote name='rawisjericho']I got one of these discs, I dunno if it is the "bad" one or not. The disc says HOLIDAY 2004 DEMO DISC in bold black letters. then it has these games listed.

Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Jak 3
ATV Offroad Fury 3
KILLZONE
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Area-51
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Prince of Persia 2
STAR WARS Battlefront
Ace Combat 5

Any help would be great.[/quote]

Not it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Karma anyone? [-X

If you were truly affected by the glitch, then accept Sony's gracious apology. If not and you take advantage of it, then you are just re-enforcing what the Best Buy and other retailers think about us bargain hunters. Whether some of you care about what BB thinks is irrelevant. If the beliefs of BB spread to other stores then things will get worse for sites like this.[/quote]
They're not giving you much... If anything, they're taking the opportunity to unload some crappy games that are taking up space in their warehouse, in order to gain positive PR out of what could have been a bad situation for Sony. They're only going to give you a game if you were actually sent the bad demo anyway.

[quote name='crickett003']NOOOOO! :shock:

I just remembered, I threw that disc away when I heard about the bad VJ2 demo! I kept the other holiday disc with MGS3 on it. :oops:

Man, Hot Shots Golf Fore would have been good!

:x[/quote]

Major bummer. I threw mine away too, now I wish i hadn't! :(

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='GuilewasNK']Karma anyone? [-X

If you were truly affected by the glitch, then accept Sony's gracious apology. If not and you take advantage of it, then you are just re-enforcing what the Best Buy and other retailers think about us bargain hunters. Whether some of you care about what BB thinks is irrelevant. If the beliefs of BB spread to other stores then things will get worse for sites like this.[/quote]
They're not giving you much... If anything, they're taking the opportunity to unload some crappy games that are taking up space in their warehouse, in order to gain positive PR out of what could have been a bad situation for Sony. They're only going to give you a game if you were actually sent the bad demo anyway.[/quote]

I got the demo myself, but a day later I also got a card from them saying what the demo will do to your saves. Plus, I had been reading about the save glitch way before I got the disc. If I hadn't known and then my data was erased, I'd take them up on their offer. Since I (and the majority of people here) knew about it, I won't because I didn't suffer any loss. I am not trying to be holier than thou with my comments but karma is a bitch and it would be hilarious if a bad cases of the DREs follows that free game, lol. 8-[

[quote name='StealthySeal']how did you get this disc in the first place?[/quote]

My friend is an Underground member, and that's probably how we got it. It was mailed to his house under his name.

man i need to buy one of these disc of ebay or someone fast.... before you flame me saying i want a free game I dont i want the disc. Just think if sony is willing to pay 20-50 in free games just think in a few years how big of a collectors item this will be cause most of them will be destoryed by sony.... Just think own a piece of history that sony made that will destory your memory card :)

I just got off the phone with them and the guy didnt mention anything about the postcard. He said just send the demo disc in along with my pick . I chose Sly 2, but that doesnt make up for all the save data I lost. It is a nice jesture though. They could have turned around and said too bad or something, just like suppossedly capcom did.

I didn't get a postcard, didn't get a note, or an email. All I got was a demo disc that erased my entire primary memory card. A free game doesn't make up for that, but it's better than an ass full of red hot poker.

Thanks for the info OP, I never would have known about it otherwise.
Who would have thought Sony would actually give something away for any reason ?!

Yeah it's pretty nice of sony to do something like this. Though SCEA published the disc, i would also like to see Capcom apologize since it was there demo on that disc that caused the erased memory cards.

Hell yeah! I just secured a free copy of Jak II even though I was prepared and didn't play the Viewtiful Joe 2 demo.

So as long as the demo has Viewtiful Joe 2 on it its a bad one? I have it but didnt play it. So I can get the free game right?

EDIT: Do I just tell them that my memory card got erased or do I specifically ask them for the game?

Does Sony actually keep track of who received what demo disc? I received the fixed one, but before it arrived my friend got his (he actually got two), and he gave me one of them. Excited, I played VJ2, lost everything (on a crappy memory card which didn't have anything). Think I have a case with Sony?

[quote name='Scorch']It's probably Sly 1.

I have the new demo disc, which kinda disappointed me, as I took my memory card out all ready to play Viewtiful Joe 2 and everything. I don't think that it's the same demo disc though, the one I got was from Playstation Underground and has R&C: UYA, Killzone (What a HORRIBLE game!!), ATV Offroad Fury 3, MGS3, Star Wars: Battlefront, Area 51, and I THINK Jak 3 is on there. Also comes with a $5 off coupon for any PS2 game 29.99 or above.[/quote]

I got that one too... is that teh demo that was 1 cent? arn't you happy you didn't waste one hour of your life to get home and play the crappy demo?

Im so mad that I got the new one..I would have loved to pick the game with the highest trade in value....

I'm happy. I'll have Sly 2 coming in shortly. If I could find the second demo they sent me, I'll have a friend of mine send it in for Hot Shots Golf or something. The guy on the phone almost seemed like he wasn't going to give it to me, since I said I didn't receive an e-mail about it directly from Sony but read it from a message board.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Karma anyone? [-X

Sony took advantage of me with the HDD. I think i'm owed something for a $100 paperweight.

It'd be nice if Capcom would add some of their games to that list. I wouldn't mind getting Viewtiful joe for free cuz obviously everyone whose memory cards got fucked up were intrested in that game. I guess I'll get Sly Cooper or Jak 2. Do they tell u over the phone what games are available ?

wonder how many people will just run out and try to find the Disc just to get the free game. I just found on on ebay (10 bucks shipped) but im not going to send it in since I still say these will be collectors items in a little while since everyone wants the free game. I can get almost all the games on the list for 15 or under ( buy 3 ps1 games at Ebgames take them to Gamerush for 3 for 10 deal)

[quote name='slidecage']man i need to buy one of these disc of ebay or someone fast.... before you flame me saying i want a free game I dont i want the disc. Just think if sony is willing to pay 20-50 in free games just think in a few years how big of a collectors item this will be cause most of them will be destoryed by sony.... Just think own a piece of history that sony made that will destory your memory card :)[/quote]

This is a good point . . . I have one of the "bad" discs . . . trying to decide ($30 from ebaying Sly 2 or keep the demo as a collector's item????). I probably need to take the money :shock: to further sponsor my gaming activity.

I think the people who got the original had to be in Sony's special group. I registered for Underground twice. One of them, in my son's name, was selected for a feedback group . . . that name got the first disc. My name (and my brother) got the newer non VJ2 disc.

Actually, I have three of the holiday demo discs (my brother gave me his). One is bad (my son's), one is the new "good" one (my bro's), and I can't find the third one (my name on it). Where did I put it? I'm assuming it is the newer disc . . . I assumed they were all the same until I read this post. It may be at work . . . I was going to list it for trade last week, but I never posted it. I posted the good one last night . . . if I had two bad ones, then I could keep one but still get a game.

[quote name='goukill1120']It'd be nice if Capcom would add some of their games to that list. I wouldn't mind getting Viewtiful joe for free cuz obviously everyone whose memory cards got shaq-fued up were intrested in that game. I guess I'll get Sly Cooper or Jak 2. Do they tell u over the phone what games are available ?[/quote]

I believe it was Sony's fault, not Capcom's.

awesome i just called up and am going to be receiving atv offroad fury 3.... figured it was of most value out of them all.... thanks guys!

does ny one have a xtra demo. I hate cheating them but they tricked me into buying a hd for socom and barely anything has been done with dumb thing. PLEASE i want to get atv.

bread's done
Back