GCN/Revolution E3 Game Announcement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='greyzieoriental']y the cable cost 35$ is my question, thats like 1/3 of the console cost
hopefully the revolution is component cable backwards compatible(if it supports hd)
very disappointed if nintendo does that, it'll make no sense

or better if all next gen consoles came with components out the box[/QUOTE]

Yes, on the other hand, I think Nintendo probably made a shrewd business decision with that one - after dropping $1000-$2000 on an HDTV people are definitely going to go to them for the $35 cable to take advantage of it. For the next generation, though, they might not be able to get away with it :D.

I still doubt that *any* of the new consoles will come with component out of the box though. For the same reason as Nintendo was able to get away with the GC cable - HD users will seek out and buy the right cable and the console makers don't need to absorb that cost.

I paid the $35 for GC component cables direct from Nintendo when the system first came out... I was surprised to hear that all new GC had the component cable option gutted a few months ago!

Kind of a techical question here... The TV I bought in 2001 (34-inch 16:9 Panasonic Tau) can display 480p and 1080i... but for some odd reason, cannot do 720. I believe most XBox and PS3 games will be required to push 720, with only the occasional 1080 game (GT5 for example).

So am I screwed? Will I have to buy a new TV set just to take advantage of most of the 720 games?

[quote name='sabin23']I paid the $35 for GC component cables direct from Nintendo when the system first came out... I was surprised to hear that all new GC had the component cable option gutted a few months ago!

Kind of a techical question here... The TV I bought in 2001 (34-inch 16:9 Panasonic Tau) can display 480p and 1080i... but for some odd reason, cannot do 720. I believe most XBox and PS3 games will be required to push 720, with only the occasional 1080 game (GT5 for example).

So am I screwed? Will I have to buy a new TV set just to take advantage of most of the 720 games?[/QUOTE]

Well, since I haven't dealt with true HD content I'm not positive, but my Sony HDTV is 1080i, and I believe it converts 780p signals internally to display in 1080i. So it probably isn't as good as a native 780p (like the Samsung DLPs), but I'm sure much better than 480i! The PS3, certainly, had better work nicely with my Sony HDTV!

Most likely the resolution will be choosable in the menu for the consoles to match your TV....the current XBOX does it.

Then again.....if your TV converts everything....its a moot point.

As I thought about it.....I realized one of the possible reasons Nintendo would leave out HD resolution in the console is if there is a conflict with any 3D Technology (as rumored...which would be cool).

I guess we'll find out in a couple hours. That....or they are aiming this console at it being only on a family's 2nd TV (i.e. The Kids' TV) and for casual DVD viewing.....which is very possible since they like to keep costs down low. It'd better be at least progressive scan (480p).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Found this interesting info over at Penny Arcade's forums here.

http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2005/pre_e3_2005home.html
If you click around alot, Reggie threatens to take your name!

Nintendo Webcast Link
*UPDATE*
Apprently, Nintendo is having Gamespot of all people host their live feed. Tomorrow morning. Nintendo's PRE-E3 page points you here:
http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3live.html

IGN Insider webcast link:
http://insider.ign.com/livewire05.html

What we know right now:

*updated!*
DS and Revolution Online:
- Nintendo is partnered with Gamespy/IGN Entertainment
- Animal Crossing will be the first online title
- No cost to consumer. Nintendo is dedicated to keep it affordable.
- Wirelss connections will play a huge factor
- Online downloading of Nintendo games for the Revolution. From NES to Gamecube. Pricing is still being considered.

Revolution:
revolution9nk.jpg

- Posseses the thickness of three DVDs
- IBM is responsible for the CPU, called 'Broadway.'
- ATi is responsible for the GPU, called 'Holleywood.'
- Internet ready out of the box, definatly be wireless.
- Revolution uses standard 12cm optical disks. Nintendo of Europe's press releases indicates they are dual layered DVDs.
- Possible DVD playback, according to some sources.
- Backwards compatible with the Gamecube
- If their will be online game downloading, a hardrive is most likely.

Confirmed Titles (thanks to mcc):

GAMECUBE
Battalion Wars
Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix
Donkey Konga 2
Mario Party 7
Pokemon XD (a full-blown RPG)
Super Mario Strikers (a Mario soccer title)
4117320050516_234242_0_big.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Formerly listed as The Legend of Zelda)[/QUOTE]

Is that a real pic of Revolution? Where'd you get it?

i like this as well:

Nintendo says their new console is only two or three times as powerful as the GameCube. "It's not all about having 'turbo power,' " Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan told USA Today. "It's about what you do with it."

Wow that grey peice on the bottom is the stand, this thing is small. I just hope Nintendo supports hd and pumps out decent graphics. With the 360 and PS3 showing amazing tech videos of graphics and strong support of HD it gives the casual gamer what they want/expect, great graphics with a next gen-system. If the Revolution is underpowered it's just going to be another disadvantage for Nintendo along with the veiw of being a kiddy system to the casual gamer ( I know it looks very adult ).

[quote name='sabin23']

So am I screwed? Will I have to buy a new TV set just to take advantage of most of the 720 games?[/QUOTE]

Thats cause you have a CRT based TV now im not gonna post all that technical mombo jombo here ..... because I already posted about that here http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46226&page=15&pp=20

just scroll down and find me name ok .

[quote name='cdeener']Based on the clock on the website the Nintendo conference is at 10:00 a.m. PST not at 9:00 a.m. PST. Which means that it won't start here until 1:00 p.m. EST.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the countdown to E3 and not the conf.? Please? I hope?

I dunno I think they are being a bit vague on the comment about it being 3 times more powerful than the gamecube . I dont wanna kno about upcoming nintendos games ( I mean we all know whats comming right) who cares I wanna kno what
the fuck is so revolutionary about the revolution . I wanna see of that augmented reality thats rumored to be part of it . If they dont show that the only thing that would be "revolutionary " would be that damn controller with a touch screen or something like that.

[quote name='MorPhiend']I don't understand why the whole internet is saying this, I guess not many people realize that Zelda is a girl. Yes, you have always been playing The Legend of "A Princess." The series is about a Princess. I know you are trying to be funny, but most everyone seems to be ticked about the title and whining. I think ti sounds great, personally.[/QUOTE]

OMG, the whole internet is saying something?

Holy exaggeration Batman!

The funny thing to look at is the logo for the Revolution (which I'm surprised that they actually kept the development name for once). But does anyone else notice how the first 'O' is bigger than the section one, and that they are bold to make it so you're attracted to it more? I wonder if that has something to do with the whole revolutionary aspect of it. The first thing that it makes me thing about is that it will be able to play regular DVDs and also the GameCube DVDs. I'm hoping thats not the big selling point, of if it is, they have something up their sleves thats creative.....

I'm skeptical of these numbers

Nintendo: 2 to 3 times more powerful
Microsoft: 13-15 times more powerful
Sony: Thirty-Five times more powerful

I remember when sony was launching the PS2 they were bascially saying "When you turn it on you hear the voice of GOD." And all that crap about it being a supercomputer that you couldn't export.

Nintendo played it down, said that it would be powerful enough to play good games. The Gamecube turned out more powerful than the ps2.

if that is the real design then It's suprising how they came out with the best looking unit... the games on the other hand...

[quote name='maddfrog']The funny thing to look at is the logo for the Revolution (which I'm surprised that they actually kept the development name for once). But does anyone else notice how the first 'O' is bigger than the section one, and that they are bold to make it so you're attracted to it more? I wonder if that has something to do with the whole revolutionary aspect of it. The first thing that it makes me thing about is that it will be able to play regular DVDs and also the GameCube DVDs. I'm hoping thats not the big selling point, of if it is, they have something up their sleves thats creative.....[/QUOTE]

The DS kept its name also. Unless you count "nitro" as its early developement name.

Revolution should show us something for the sake of its name...

I also hope the no HD is a bunch of crap unless its due to the thing needed "no tv" or maybe it has something to do with it being compatible with PC monitors.

What about the Dual layer DVD.... that seems like a weekness. I mean sony and Microsoft are both going HD or BLue Ray (with 50 times more storage if I am correct)

So once again a Dual Layer DVD will not be enough for multiplatform titles will it?

That seems like a bigger downfall than the HD support. The early adapters and the adapters within the first 2-3 years are the improtant ones as they elevate the userbase and allow more games to go into development at a lesser risk to the game company. HD wont be to widespread within the next 2-3 years. Year 4-5 + it will be a factor but then the cycle is near the end anyway.

Can someone let me know if the Dual layer DVD thing seems to be a problem?

[quote name='Snake2715']The DS kept its name also. Unless you count "nitro" as its early developement name.

I also hope the no HD is a bunch of crap unless its due to the thing needed "no tv" or maybe it has something to do with it being compatible with PC monitors.

What about the Dual layer DVD.... that seems like a weekness. I mean sony and Microsoft are both going HD or BLue Ray (with 50 times more storage if I am correct)

So once again a Dual Layer DVD will not be enough for multiplatform titles will it?

That seems like a bigger downfall than the HD support. The early adapters and the adapters within the first 2-3 years are the improtant ones as they elevate the userbase and allow more games to go into development at a lesser risk to the game company. HD wont be to widespread within the next 2-3 years. Year 4-5 + it will be a factor but then the cycle is near the end anyway.

Can someone let me know if the Dual layer DVD thing seems to be a problem?[/QUOTE]

XBOX 360 uses dvds as well, not HDDVD.

[quote name='Snake2715']The DS kept its name also. Unless you count "nitro" as its early developement name.

Can someone let me know if the Dual layer DVD thing seems to be a problem?[/QUOTE]
Ummmm...isn't xbox360 using dual layer DVDs too?

[quote name='evilmax17']Isn't that the countdown to E3 and not the conf.? Please? I hope?[/QUOTE]

They just keep moving. Now it is 2 hours and 30 minutes left until E3 at nintendo.com

[quote name='cdeener']They just keep moving. Now it is 2 hours and 30 minutes left until E3 at nintendo.com[/QUOTE]

I think it's already been established that that countdown is incorrect. The actual streaming of the event is coming from Gamespot and its countdown reads that the show will begin in just under 30 minutes.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3live.html

[quote name='basketkase543']I think it's already been established that that countdown is incorrect. The actual streaming of the event is coming from Gamespot and its countdown reads that the show will begin in just under 30 minutes.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3live.html[/QUOTE]

You know what I think this is just the way nintendo is counting down to the upload of their information for E3 instead of the conference. Because Sony did this same thing at E3.playstation.com which had a counter that was up until they produced the website with E3 info.

[quote name='oleander']any guesses as to how slot loading will work with mini-dvds?[/QUOTE]

I think if you look at the images, there is a separate tray for the mini-dvd's. I may be wrong, but thats what it looks like to me.

[quote name='flizmo007']I think if you look at the images, there is a separate tray for the mini-dvd's. I may be wrong, but thats what it looks like to me.[/QUOTE]

You mean that rectangular box under the dvd tray? Maybe.

The thing looks like the PS2 got smaller and sleeker... is that a blue light emminating from the slot loading disc tray? the Revolution is in the controller people... it's gotta be. I wonder where we are going to plug in wired GCN controller... I wonder if WaveBirds are going to work. I wonder I wonder I wonder.

[quote name='basketkase543']You mean that rectangular box under the dvd tray? Maybe.[/QUOTE]
I think that box is just a flip cover for the memory card slots/GC controllers. I wanna know what on the other side of the console though.... Maybe a screen built into the side? This waiting is killing me...

[quote name='basketkase543']I've never had a slot-loading machine before. Isn't there a high risk of dust getting in because of the lack of a slot cover?[/QUOTE]
Usually they put some sort of soft material in the entrance that will allow the entry of disks with out scratching them and keep dust out.

[quote name='punqsux']i like this as well:

Nintendo says their new console is only two or three times as powerful as the GameCube. "It's not all about having 'turbo power,' " Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan told USA Today. "It's about what you do with it."[/QUOTE]

Did I call it or what? You can't have a tiny package and keep up with the guys whose boxes include big cooling solutions. Physics and all that.

Nintendo isn't going to play the 'who has the biggest and baddest gun' game anymore. It isn't compatible with their core philosophy. Low cost of entry is more important to them. They'll lose some sales to those who can only think in terms of power but they'll do well if they make good on the promise of uniques experiences.

I expext we'll see a lot more exotic control devices from them to drive those new experiences ala the bongos. The low purchase price of the system will help mitigate the added cost of those controllers which like the bongos may only have a handful of games that support them. so long as those games are fulfilling people aren't goin gto complain, except perhaps about the amount of space consumed by their growing collection of odd input devices.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Here's another pic of the Revo.

Maybe Nintendo could call it a Gamerectangle.

2476151050547027.JPG
[/QUOTE]

Considering that it looks like a giant SD card I hope those are supported for storage. They had an adapter to use SD on the GameCube but like a lot of Nintendo stuff they act like it doesn't exist unless you go hunting for it.

so is there any live feed of the conference that i don't have to pay for?

EDIT: like anyone who can't watch it at want to let me borrow a login for an hour?

[quote name='easy_g']so is there any live feed of the conference that i don't have to pay for?

EDIT: like anyone who can't watch it at want to let me borrow a login for an hour?[/QUOTE]

I guess we would have to wait until they load onto Nintendo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back