GCN/Revolution E3 Game Announcement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='easy_g']so is there any live feed of the conference that i don't have to pay for?

EDIT: like anyone who can't watch it at want to let me borrow a login for an hour?[/QUOTE]

I second that question for importantance. The Nintendo link sends me to GameSpot,

[quote name='epobirs']Did I call it or what? You can't have a tiny package and keep up with the guys whose boxes include big cooling solutions. Physics and all that.

Nintendo isn't going to play the 'who has the biggest and baddest gun' game anymore. It isn't compatible with their core philosophy. Low cost of entry is more important to them. They'll lose some sales to those who can only think in terms of power but they'll do well if they make good on the promise of uniques experiences.

I expext we'll see a lot more exotic control devices from them to drive those new experiences ala the bongos. The low purchase price of the system will help mitigate the added cost of those controllers which like the bongos may only have a handful of games that support them. so long as those games are fulfilling people aren't goin gto complain, except perhaps about the amount of space consumed by their growing collection of odd input devices.[/QUOTE]

I still think the 2-3 times figure is modesty.

And the 13-15 and 35 figures are hype.

Theoretically, based on floating point calculations, the PS2 was the strongest of the big three last time, but all the games looked the worst on that system.

The Xbox had beefier video hardware, and thus better graphics, the GCN focused on removing bottlenecks (load time, RAM speed, etc) to grab firm middle ground. I don't think these raw performance numbers are important at all.

[quote name='epobirs']Did I call it or what? You can't have a tiny package and keep up with the guys whose boxes include big cooling solutions. Physics and all that.

Nintendo isn't going to play the 'who has the biggest and baddest gun' game anymore. It isn't compatible with their core philosophy. Low cost of entry is more important to them. They'll lose some sales to those who can only think in terms of power but they'll do well if they make good on the promise of uniques experiences.

I expext we'll see a lot more exotic control devices from them to drive those new experiences ala the bongos. The low purchase price of the system will help mitigate the added cost of those controllers which like the bongos may only have a handful of games that support them. so long as those games are fulfilling people aren't goin gto complain, except perhaps about the amount of space consumed by their growing collection of odd input devices.[/QUOTE]

My only problem with this is that having the cheaper system is good at the beginning of the console's life, but after the first few rounds of price drops, the system isn't very much cheaper than its competitors. Because of this, it loses a lot of the "value" they were striving for in the beginning, and they now have the weakest system on the market.

I hope Nintendo can come through with an inexpensive system that can hang with Sony and Microsoft in the hardware side of things.

[quote name='cdeener']I guess we would have to wait until they load onto Nintendo.com[/QUOTE]

Why don't you think that the Gamespot link will work? Looks good to me so far. 6 minutes and counting to find out.

yeah, but i had it planned perfectly! Get up an hour early and watch it then head straight to math at 10, get back at 11, and study for midterms. Now I'm kinds of screwed.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']My only problem with this is that having the cheaper system is good at the beginning of the console's life, but after the first few rounds of price drops, the system isn't very much cheaper than its competitors. Because of this, it loses a lot of the "value" they were striving for in the beginning, and they now have the weakest system on the market.

I hope Nintendo can come through with an inexpensive system that can hang with Sony and Microsoft in the hardware side of things.[/QUOTE]

My biggest concern is that if there isn't a big leap in technology, and the "revolutionizing" aspects fall short, why even bother releasing a new system? Regardless though, none of us have any concrete info and I'm reserving judgement until after the press conference.

[quote name='basketkase543']Why don't you think that the Gamespot link will work? Looks good to me so far. 6 minutes and counting to find out.[/QUOTE]

unless you have a subsrcription to gamespot complete, you can't watch it.

[quote name='basketkase543']Why don't you think that the Gamespot link will work? Looks good to me so far. 6 minutes and counting to find out.[/QUOTE]

Because when it loads the Gamespot site it states that I need a complete membership to view it live.

[quote name='cdeener']Because when it loads the Gamespot site it states that I need a complete membership to view it live.[/QUOTE]

Those sneaky bastards. And here i was getting all hyped up.

[quote name='evilmax17']All of the conference sites are office blocked for me :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Anybody find a live free feed?

[quote name='fanskad']I still think the 2-3 times figure is modesty.

And the 13-15 and 35 figures are hype.

Theoretically, based on floating point calculations, the PS2 was the strongest of the big three last time, but all the games looked the worst on that system.

The Xbox had beefier video hardware, and thus better graphics, the GCN focused on removing bottlenecks (load time, RAM speed, etc) to grab firm middle ground. I don't think these raw performance numbers are important at all.[/QUOTE]

They were pretty important early in this generation when Sega was honest in their numbers and Sony lied to hell and back in what the PS2 could do. Because of this, all the ignorant gamers flocked to the PS2 and never gave the Dreamcast a chance. In reality, the graphics between the two weren't that different. Had developers been making games on the Dreamcast for four to five years, I bet we could have seen some very pretty looking games.

I'm sorry, but creating a tiny design with a gloss-black finish doesn't make the system "sleek"...It looks like a friggin' portable HDD.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I'm sorry, but creating a tiny design with a gloss-black finish doesn't make the system "sleek"...It looks like a friggin' portable HDD.[/QUOTE]

yup, looks almost like one of the external hard drives I've got now

Maybe I can hide it amongst them, play it on my PC monitor, and people will think i'm playing a Revolution emulator :)

for something that is supposed to be revolutionary, it looks kinda like an HDD/slim ps2/ big dvd case.... and the small jump in power from the GC is kinda worrying

[quote name='evilmax17']...nothing yet[/QUOTE]

Hopefully this lil' site can handle the traffic. Here's hoping.

Well, personally, I think the Revolution looks pretty damn sexy. It's definitely better looking than either the Xbox 360 or the PS3. Well, the PS3 isn't bad, but would have been better with a black color scheme.

[quote name='basketkase543']Thanks for the link. It may be delayed but its the best thing we've got. The rest of the feeds are delayed by about an hour.[/QUOTE]

All the game-related links are content blocked at my workplace. Lame, lame, lame. . . :cry:

[quote name='Tromack']Well, personally, I think the Revolution looks pretty damn sexy. It's definitely better looking than either the Xbox 360 or the PS3. Well, the PS3 isn't bad, but would have been better with a black color scheme.[/QUOTE]

there is a black, white, and silver version of the system

are we going to be seeing screenshots of games for the revolution or is that totally out of the picture?

[quote name='CaseyRyback']there is a black, white, and silver version of the system[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the Spider-Man movie font kills it.

are you guys sure it's a slot loading system. Traditionally slot loading optical drives cant use mini-optical media like that used in gamecube.......

Also Does anyone really know what's so revolutionary about it =p?

[quote name='Friedle']Yeah, but the Spider-Man movie font kills it.[/QUOTE]

I personally could care less about the font. I only care about seeing MGS4

[quote name='Friedle']Yeah, but the Spider-Man movie font kills it.[/QUOTE]

That's a bit of an overstatement, honestly. I think it's just way too familiar. Like if you were to see Coca-Cola style lettering on anything but a can of Coke. Everytime you'd look at it, you'd say Coke in your head. But it's hardly something that will prevent people from buying it.

[quote name='maddfrog']The funny thing to look at is the logo for the Revolution (which I'm surprised that they actually kept the development name for once). But does anyone else notice how the first 'O' is bigger than the section one, and that they are bold to make it so you're attracted to it more? I wonder if that has something to do with the whole revolutionary aspect of it. The first thing that it makes me thing about is that it will be able to play regular DVDs and also the GameCube DVDs. I'm hoping thats not the big selling point, of if it is, they have something up their sleves thats creative.....[/QUOTE]

I think the big O is for the Revo discs and the smaller is for the Cube discs. That's most likely anyway.

Okay... heres the deal... I think the Strell's link is FROM the show floor... my link seems to be connected to the big ol' monitors Nintendo has setup. CAG's have two... neigh... three options now. Let's sit back and ENJOY THE REGGIELUTION!.

I just thought about the downloading games thing...

I seriously hope that isn't the "Revolutionary" aspect...the ability to play old games through emulators.

That's cool and all, but shit....You'll need more than that, Nintendo. EVen has a hardcore fan I have to admit that's not enough in the face of all-guns-blazing competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back