Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']People would spot more if they a) knew how (hard aim + down on left analog stick) and b) realized you earn free assist points for doing next to nothing when the person you've spotted dies. It's a great mechanic in general. They should have added it to the franchise sooner.[/QUOTE]

Do any other shooters have the "spot" feature at all? Or is it a great Gears innovation?

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']One thing I did notice today is how ridiculous the radius of chainsaw's vacuum became over the course a few weeks. I've been consistently sucked in by people more than 10 steps away from me. Beware and zone them the f*ck out with a rifles because once the vacuum/animation hits it negates damage from even Sawed-offs.

I wish I could get in the mood to play something else. I have a decent backlog but zero motivation to burn through it.[/QUOTE]

The chainsaw and bayonet kill ranges are a bit off. There's times where I feel like I've gotten sucked into both.

[quote name='drktrpr1']Do any other shooters have the "spot" feature at all? Or is it a great Gears innovation?[/QUOTE]
Only other game I know that has that is Bad Company 2 (press back or Q I think on the PC).

This morning I did AMAZING. We were in Trenches TDM, I killed 8 of them without dying. I stayed in the middle of the map and they kept trying to rush in and kill me. I was using the Gnasher by the way.

I'm really glad how they made the Lancer so much stronger, and I actually want to try to use every weapon now (except the sawed off, the gnasher is infinitely more useful).

[quote name='hustletron']Ink we should run some Gears some time, I'm usually by myself, 2's better than 1.[/QUOTE]

I'm down for anything but Ranked without a full team because now it's nothing but complete teams. I'm tired of eating consecutive losses and going negative because everyone is down for being spawn camped or Retro'd/rushed to death at a moment's notice. I'm hoping to get a CTL team together so I can snag that medal asap. I usually play alone or with a good friend of mine that's ten times better than me in Gears so teamwork and individual skill shouldn't be an issue. We'll pick you up when we can but we don't babysit, we DO communicate and I spot motherf*ckers like crazy. We don't bitch or fly off the handle on our own teammates, but we won't pick up randoms unless absolutely necessary so you were warned. We're both slick talkers though so if you don't mind a little chatter I'm game.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I'm down for anything but Ranked without a full team because now it's nothing but complete teams. I'm tired of eating consecutive losses and going negative because everyone is down for being spawn camped or Retro'd/rushed to death at a moment's notice. I'm hoping to get a CTL team together so I can snag that medal asap. I usually play alone or with a good friend of mine that's ten times better than me in Gears so teamwork and individual skill shouldn't be an issue. We'll pick you up when we can but we don't babysit, we DO communicate and I spot motherf*ckers like crazy. We don't bitch or fly off the handle on our own teammates, but we won't pick up randoms unless absolutely necessary so you were warned. We're both slick talkers though so if you don't mind a little chatter I'm game.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha got it, solo 2.0 KDR and W/L don't need babysitting.

What the hell just happened?!

It showed that it was looking for matchmaking, had the pulsing, washed out cog image, then said I was in a Thrashball match of King of the Hill.

Instead, I was in a black room, with a square floor that was about twice the length of a player laying flat each direction. There was no hill, and everyone practically spawned on each other. There was no lighting, only the red and blue glows of the COG and Locust armors, and because there was no hill the game could never end. Also, the game would not let you pause to quit out of the game, so I had to dashboard to get out. I still have the list of players from that game, so maybe I should save their names and send this to Epic. It's definitely an error they should know about.

I wish I had a camera to take video or pictures with, but it was like being on a small dance floor with no lights and enemies around you. The only distinguishing thing was the COG symbol was on one wall, but there was a gap in floor to it, so you couldn't get to it.

EDIT: I just checked my players list and people in the game still have a status saying, "Player in a game of King of the Hill on Needs More Loc".

[quote name='A Happy Panda']The chainsaw and bayonet kill ranges are a bit off. There's times where I feel like I've gotten sucked into both.[/QUOTE]

I can personally vouch for the Retro having a vacuum on a full charge. Completely unnecessary when you consider the fact the beta constantly awards the skewer to close range opponents.

Drk: Pretzle is spot on. They stole/borrowed it from BF. I wish they added it to Gears 2 because there was nothing more painful than watching a 3v1 turn into a cluster-clutch because it was frag round, your teammates were mic-less and no one knew where the f*ck the other guy was until it was too late.

So far I have to say I'm having much more fun playing the beta than I did the GoW2 MP. The dedicated servers definitely help make the experience much smoother and less frustrating. I'm currently using the new lancer, but not really digging the sawed-off shotgun just yet.

[quote name='EpicJC']So far I have to say I'm having much more fun playing the beta than I did the GoW2 MP. The dedicated servers definitely help make the experience much smoother and less frustrating. I'm currently using the new lancer, but not really digging the sawed-off shotgun just yet.[/QUOTE]
That's not necessarily a bad thing. I heard the devs say the sawed off was added as a means for newbies to get into the shotgun blasting action without learning the gnasher. It's basically training wheels until they start to get a feel of it and switch to the gnasher IMO.

[quote name='hustletron']Hahaha got it, solo 2.0 KDR and W/L don't need babysitting.[/QUOTE]

Great. Feel free to send me an invite anytime. If I'm not balls deep in an RPG I'll show up. If I can't then I'll let you know via msg.

I'm annoyed that I'm re-downloading this huge 500MB patch for the beta now that I've switched from the Bulletstorm disc to the Gamestop beta. Shouldn't this be the exact same file that's already on my HDD, but I have to sit here for another 20-30 minutes while my throttled DSL connection downloads it again? WTF?

[quote name='drktrpr1']Do any other shooters have the "spot" feature at all? Or is it a great Gears innovation?[/QUOTE]

Battlefield is pretty well known for it.

And yeah... I get TONS of points off spotting.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']People would spot more if they a) knew how (hard aim + down on left analog stick) and b) realized you earn free assist points for doing next to nothing when the person you've spotted dies. It's a great mechanic in general. They should have added it to the franchise sooner.[/QUOTE]Wait. I'm sorry to jump in the middle of this, but I'm confused and it may be lingering anaesthesia (You try and spell it while still out of it, I was spelling bee champ in eighth grade dammit) or the constant use of oxycodone, but are you saying that you can aim at and track an enemy in Gears 2 by LT aiming and then pressing down? Hope I can play some of this with you guys tomorrow, but we'll see.

Gnasher is MUCH more useful than the Sawed-Off. I was having a lot of fun with it when I started playing today, but having to reload after every shot, and especially with the slow reloading, make the Gnasher more useful. For me, at least.

Loving the game, it gets just as frustrating as Gears 2 did, though. Has anyone ever actually killed an enemy by shooting the Thrashball cable when it gets loose?

Jdawg, if you hard aim with a weapon and then click the left analog stick, you spot an enemy for your team. When that guy dies, you get points.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Loving the game, it gets just as frustrating as Gears 2 did, though. Has anyone ever actually killed an enemy by shooting the Thrashball cable when it gets loose?[/QUOTE]

I've seen it happen and was almost the victim of it myself. :lol:

Okay, seven matches in and I am LOVING LOVING LOVING the Beta.

Pros:
Hammerburst has some KICK. I love the option to Iron Sight and pick off noobs and shotgunners from halfway across the map.
The rewards/unlock system is SUPER DEEP.
The retro lancer is pretty cool. The main fire option is pretty week but it is REALLY satisfying to ram it into some locust's stomach and launch them.

Cons:
Though the balance is better, shotguns are still WAY too powerful at mid-range.
Matchmaking is REALLY awkward. I know there are tens of thousands of people online, yet it takes a full two minutes to get into a match? WTF.
I feel like the digger launcher should move slower but kill you instantly...I feel like it's easily dodgeable yet you're not sure if you're dead or not until after it passes.

Eh, I guess the cons are excusable because it's a Beta.

See you online!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Ebbtide']What the hell just happened?!

It showed that it was looking for matchmaking, had the pulsing, washed out cog image, then said I was in a Thrashball match of King of the Hill.

Instead, I was in a black room, with a square floor that was about twice the length of a player laying flat each direction. There was no hill, and everyone practically spawned on each other. There was no lighting, only the red and blue glows of the COG and Locust armors, and because there was no hill the game could never end. Also, the game would not let you pause to quit out of the game, so I had to dashboard to get out. I still have the list of players from that game, so maybe I should save their names and send this to Epic. It's definitely an error they should know about.

I wish I had a camera to take video or pictures with, but it was like being on a small dance floor with no lights and enemies around you. The only distinguishing thing was the COG symbol was on one wall, but there was a gap in floor to it, so you couldn't get to it.

EDIT: I just checked my players list and people in the game still have a status saying, "Player in a game of King of the Hill on Needs More Loc".[/QUOTE]

You mean kind of like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-Nc7axjNE

[quote name='blinkFRO']You mean kind of like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-Nc7axjNE[/QUOTE]
Yes, it's exactly like that. Thanks for that video, since I couldn't make my own and really can't describe what it was like.

I looked this up on Epic's forums and it's not a hack. The reason people have such high scores is that they stayed in that game while other people have been quitting out and being replaced by others. It's apparently an issue Epic is aware of...and they actually seemed annoyed at (so many) people posting this problem.

I don't know if any of those stats there would count, since there is no way to win the King of the Hill game, and since you had to dashboard out to quit it.

...it did make me wish there was an extremely dark level like that though, since it was really exciting to be roaming around (briefly) with only your suit lights and gunfire lighting the area...

And why does Cole Train have a Flaming Retro Lancer on the dashboard ad?

[quote name='drktrpr1']
The retro lancer is pretty cool. The main fire option is pretty week but it is REALLY satisfying to ram it into some locust's stomach and launch them.
[/QUOTE]

Uh...

I wonder how they're gonna handle transferring the Gold Retro Lancer/Cole Train/Flame skins to the retail... It would be pretty crappy if it's all saved onto the saved game the beta made on your HDD, since losing that save will mean you'll never be able to get back those missing unlockables.

Gotta love retro lancer charge. I see a retro charge coming a mile away, move to the side, still get stabbed. Then i try to do it to someone, basically grazed the side of them and dont even touch them.

Boomshot at someones feet, does nothing i guess. Big ass explosion, thats ok, they have pants on!

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with the Retro Lancer, but when I try to charge I just end up bumping into them and the charge cancels.

They do it to me and it's all STOMACH STAB YEEEEAH OVER THE SHOULDER

SOB is this thing unplayable without dedicated servers... Lag, dropped matches, inconsistency... I have played around 150 matches and the host migration has only worked once... I wouldn't mind the retro lancer suction if it was consistent. . Today I was ramming into people and nothing would happen, I even ran THROUGH people a couple of times only to have them kill me from behind. I also seem to get the worse teammates possible half of the time I play. I will be down and they will just stand next to me and not pick me up. These awards make people want to just kill people in order to unlock them and ruin the game. I remember playing Gears and Gears 2 and if you got an enemy down people would let you have the kill most of the time. In this Beta people are scrambling to get kills and don't care that much for the game. Some people just stay in cover waiting to kill downed enemies...

I've had a lot of people stand right next to an enemy I was fighting so that when I downed them they could immediately kick em and get the kill.

At least they only get 10 points.

Tried a KOTH match. For my first map, got stuck on some small platform tower in the pitch black where everyone spawned feet from each other constantly. The only light was from a Gears logo on the wall. Very strange. I played around with constantly killing/getting killed for about 10 minutes. When I tried to quit, the menu wouldn't come up, and the only way I could exit was to go to the dashboard. Anyone else experience this?

[quote name='Cry Havoc']Tried a KOTH match. For my first map, got stuck on some small platform tower in the pitch black where everyone spawned feet from each other constantly. The only light was from a Gears logo on the wall. Very strange. I played around with constantly killing/getting killed for about 10 minutes. When I tried to quit, the menu wouldn't come up, and the only way I could exit was to go to the dashboard. Anyone else experience this?[/QUOTE]
This happened to me. It was entertaining for the first 5 min and then it became annoying. I had to go to the Dashboard because the menu glitched. Good times

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']This happened to me. It was entertaining for the first 5 min and then it became annoying. I had to go to the Dashboard because the menu glitched. Good times[/QUOTE]

Happened twice to me as well. Very strange. I was excited for a while because I could just hit people with the Sawed Off for mucho kills, but if the match never ends, there's no way to earn medals or swag or to have kills count for anything...Quit after a few minutes.

Just played a few rounds of KOTH. I don't know if it's all the newbie players that just started on these maps today, or the fact that I always preferred Annex in Gears 2 over Execution/Warzone, so I'm more familiar with the tactics, but I had a couple kick-ass rounds. That was a lot of fun.

[quote name='eliter1']SOB is this thing unplayable without dedicated servers... Lag, dropped matches, inconsistency... I have played around 150 matches and the host migration has only worked once... I wouldn't mind the retro lancer suction if it was consistent. . Today I was ramming into people and nothing would happen, I even ran THROUGH people a couple of times only to have them kill me from behind.[/QUOTE]

Same. Played early and TDM and KOTH were playing smooth. Tried right now and it was inconsistent as hell. One minute it's fine, next minute people are running in place and host migrates...

If it weren't for the flaming skins, I wouldn't be playing another match. The skins are terrible too (except gold which I won't even attempt).

Props for their networking code and dedicated servers, no lag on my unstable ISP. Frowny face for the development team for not fixing the horrible controls on the 3rd installment.

I think im going for a new personal record, 5 games in a row i quit. if its not spawn trapping, its getting shot down in 3 bullets, if its not that its my shotgun doing 0 damage from point blank. Seriously i just played a game where i shot 3 times point blank in a row on guys and didnt get one down. This beta makes me rage.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I think im going for a new personal record, 5 games in a row i quit. if its not spawn trapping, its getting shot down in 3 bullets, if its not that its my shotgun doing 0 damage from point blank. Seriously i just played a game where i shot 3 times point blank in a row on guys and didnt get one down. This beta makes me rage.[/QUOTE]

I definitely understand your rage, but weren't you like a Gears 2 diehard? How in the hell did you last so long in that game when it's worse?

[quote name='Necrozilla']If it weren't for the flaming skins, I wouldn't be playing another match. The skins are terrible too (except gold which I won't even attempt).

Props for their networking code and dedicated servers, no lag on my unstable ISP. Frowny face for the development team for not fixing the horrible controls on the 3rd installment.[/QUOTE]

What exactly are your problems with the controls? There's an alternate layout under controller options that I found interesting. They made it so that roadie running and taking cover are different buttons, and I know alot of people had a problem with so many actions being set to the A button.

I actually enjoy the controls. They have a chance to be deeper than Gears 2, though I'm still getting used to the Beta controls... I want to curb stomp their faces in and accidentally end up taking a meatshield instead!

[quote name='The 7th Number']I think im going for a new personal record, 5 games in a row i quit. if its not spawn trapping, its getting shot down in 3 bullets, if its not that its my shotgun doing 0 damage from point blank. Seriously i just played a game where i shot 3 times point blank in a row on guys and didnt get one down. This beta makes me rage.[/QUOTE]

I'm up to ~80 games played in the beta now and I've only had one where I ran into the point blank range shotgun missing as you described.

Oh god the fresh blood last night was so nice. Thanks for the rampage medal guys, I couldn't have done it without you. I stayed up until 2AM playing last night and had to be up at 6 for work.

My rounds are either awesome or completely horrid. Either way I'm having a blast with it. I like the incentives they put in for getting some time into playing, like unlocks, and items to carry over. I need to get better at my "bullet dodging," and my "Point blank shotgun kills."

Can't wait until I unlock Baird.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Gnasher is MUCH more useful than the Sawed-Off. I was having a lot of fun with it when I started playing today, but having to reload after every shot, and especially with the slow reloading, make the Gnasher more useful. For me, at least.

Loving the game, it gets just as frustrating as Gears 2 did, though. Has anyone ever actually killed an enemy by shooting the Thrashball cable when it gets loose?

Jdawg, if you hard aim with a weapon and then click the left analog stick, you spot an enemy for your team. When that guy dies, you get points.[/QUOTE]Thanks. Click the left stick huh? I've been meaning to finish up the online achivements in that game so I'll have to try that out.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I wonder how they're gonna handle transferring the Gold Retro Lancer/Cole Train/Flame skins to the retail... It would be pretty crappy if it's all saved onto the saved game the beta made on your HDD, since losing that save will mean you'll never be able to get back those missing unlockables.[/QUOTE]With NFS there was a Demo save file saved under games and seperate from the actual demo file that was only deleteable by going through memory manager.

Is the public beta out? Like can anybody download it from the XBL marketplace?

Sorry, I haven't been following Gears 3 much and I didn't see it mentioned in the OP.

Reserve it at GameStop to get a beta code.

It was too easy yesterday to chainsaw people in KotH. The team kept running in haphazardly. Think I got 30 chainsaw kills the one game.

Now everyone has the beta so the complaining will truly begin. And to halluz, you have to pre order gears 3 from gamestop and you get a beta code

Any tips with the Gnasher? I don't do very well with it and get destroyed... is it best to aim in close or just fire away? I can hit a guy 3 times with it at pretty close range and not get anywhere... and he takes one shot and explodes me.

Ok, so I played some more KOTH today and it was almost flawless. In optimal conditions this game is a blast. I can see all of the new people in the beta trying to use the retro lancer charge and I have plenty of time to shoot them down with my pistol. I had a good team and a good enemy team for most of the matches so those games were awesome, exactly what gears is supposed to be. It seems some little kids are starting to play the game because I had to mute a couple of people for the first time in ~130 matches.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Any tips with the Gnasher? I don't do very well with it and get destroyed... is it best to aim in close or just fire away? I can hit a guy 3 times with it at pretty close range and not get anywhere... and he takes one shot and explodes me.[/QUOTE]
The Gnasher doesn't have a wide shot, especially up close, so you have to center it as much as possible. You can hit a guy up close but if your aim is off it does very little damage. It will probably take a couple of games to learn how to use it without aiming but take the time to learn because those miliseconds it takes to press the trigger will almost always cause you to die.

bread's done
Back