General Old School Gaming Thread - What you playin'

I've only played bof 1 & 2

and got damn bof2 is amazing.

seriously, fire up that virtual console and get on it!!

I also played PDS for my first time in 2008, that game blew my mind away.

Seriously, keep us updated coz I can't beleive ure not feeling it

I've been playing mario 3 on the gba a little bit. Also, I've slowly been making my way through earthbound. It can be hard to get into retro games if you don't have the nostalgia factor, but EB is definitely different enough to be interesting.

Recently went back to replay "Metroid Prime" (Gamecube version) and maybe finish it for the first time.

I must say, I think I am enjoying it more now than when I bought it. I think with all the FPS's these days, something different like Metroid Prime is quite refreshing.

Anyone play Startropics on the NES? It's one of those games that didn't appeal to me as a kid. Maybe it was the boring boxart. But after watching the HVGN review it looks like I'd really enjoy it. After I get done with Blue Dragon I think I'll get it on the VC.

I remember playing it as a kid but I never beat it. Just wasn't my type of game I guess. I do recall a few years ago playing Star Tropics 2 though and that game was just really bad ( control wise ) skip part two unless the first one really pulls you in.

[quote name='LostRoad']I remember playing it as a kid but I never beat it. Just wasn't my type of game I guess. I do recall a few years ago playing Star Tropics 2 though and that game was just really bad ( control wise ) skip part two unless the first one really pulls you in.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've heard Zoda's Revenge isn't as good as Startropics. For $5 I'll give it a shot.

A couple days ago I resumed my game in Rock Man 1 (Mega Man 1 but I'm playing the PSOne port on Japanese PSN).

When I was little, I played the hell out of Mega Man 2 and 3. I could beat them both pretty easily and they remain some of the best 8-bit platformers ever. Anyhow, I know I also played Mega Man 1 back then but I couldn't remember too much about it. Buying and playing the PSOne port was a bit of a new adventure for me although parts remained familiar. Especially the part where I remembered why I never beat it.

The fucking Rock Monster at the end of part 1 of Wily's castle. Holy shit, he's insane. I don't think I'll ever beat the game. I don't know if the pause trick works in the PSOne port but I'm going to try it next time.

I know the pause button lighting trick doesn't work on the MM Powered Up remake. Definitely makes it much harder. Took me a few lives to memorize the Yellow Devil's pattern. Since he can't slide in MM1 you're forced to jump over those low ones.

Picked up Orge Battle: March of the Black Queen for the Wii over the weekend. I remember picking this game up for the ps1 when I was in high school but never put any real time into it. Have only played a fight or two but so far I am having fun with it. Hope I have the time to beat this before the shit storm of games hits in the next two months.

[quote name='LostRoad']Picked up Orge Battle: March of the Black Queen for the Wii over the weekend. I remember picking this game up for the ps1 when I was in high school but never put any real time into it. Have only played a fight or two but so far I am having fun with it. Hope I have the time to beat this before the shit storm of games hits in the next two months.[/QUOTE]

good luck with the last map

^ The beat em up one? I haven't tought of that game in years. Infact the only place I've ever seen it was at the arcade in Orlando Disney's Contemporary Resort.

That is a great beat em up! I love the way it scrolled in and out.

So I kinda gave up on earthbound. The I like the idea, but it just sorta seems...slow. Maybe thinking about FF6 or shadowrun for my random classic game to play.

yeah, earthbound is like the quintessential misplaced nostalgia game. So outdated, yet it has some goofy humor, so it's automatically the best thing ever according to people on the internet.

Now Actraiser, that's a game that has aged surprisingly well.

God damn Wizards just want to be evil in Orge Battle. I don't recall any classes ali dropping so fast in OB64. Have to be so careful with the little shits or I will never be able to upgrade them >.< Sitting on two staffs and 3 undead to get them to litches as well as soon as they stop being tards. Now have to farm randoms for crowns.

[quote name='ninja dog']
Now Actraiser, that's a game that has aged surprisingly well.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah, I gotta find some time to go through that! I've been busy alternating between Yakuza on PS2 and Darius Twin on SNES.

Started playing Castlevania: Rondo of Blood on the VC. I'm always so amazed by these TG-16 games since I never played them when I was younger. The VC has kept my Wii alive.

I've never played it Jim but people are saying it is free for the pc so you could check that out to see if it is something you would like.

Pulled out the snes and started up a game of Arcana. Really wish they would bring this one out for the VC so I don't have to take out old systems but it is one of my top rpgs for the snes so its worth it.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Man, don't remember ever having this much trouble in the 4th stage of MUSHA. Might be a sign of old age or something.

On the flip side, I don't remember Ogre Battle being this easy.

Also, though I'm really glad to be able to play Genghis Khan again, it doesn't live up to my nostalgic memories of playing it in Jr High. Probably should have just skipped it and bought Romance 4 or Uncharted Waters.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on the age thing man. I swear I'll play through some games 10 years later and think, "how in the hell did this give me trouble?" Then I'll play another one and think, "HOW THE HELL DID I PLAY THIS LAST TIME?" and go into an angry rage.

I almost always have a game of Fallout and Fallout 2 on my PC going. Also just started FFVI again on my SNES. Been in the mood to play my old FF's since starting FFXIII.

I've been into NES games the past month. I replayed Startropics, Startropics 2, and Dragon Warrior II. I think I like Dragon Warrior II better now than when I first played it. It's not as hard as I remembered and the writing is pretty good for an NES game. I also recently played through Galactic attack for Saturn (had to use 7 credits though) and Silpheed (Sega CD).

Played through Turtles in Time the other night. Played through Thunder Heroes too, which I doubt many people in the world have played lol. Low-budget / low-profile old arcade beat 'em up that is actually quite awesome.

5910_1.png

After some googling I found out that it is either a licensed version of, or rip-off of Gaia Crusaders, which seems a bit more popular on the interwebz. Any of you guys ever play it?

[quote name='dan13l858']Waku Waku 7 - Neo Geo[/QUOTE]
You sob I've wanted that game for years.
Well my ps3 got fried so I played a little nights into dreams on my saturn.
I also busted out Samurai Shodown 1, real bout fatal fury special and my personal favorite The Last Blade. I can easily say that nights into dreams and the last blade are 2 of my favorite games of all time. I was also thinking about picking up Actraiser.
Also playing ff 7 for the first time on the psp and some blazing star which i beat in 2 credits on my 5th playthrough.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Neo-Nut']You sob I've wanted that game for years.
Well my ps3 got fried so I played a little nights into dreams on my saturn.
I also busted out Samurai Shodown 1, real bout fatal fury special and my personal favorite The Last Blade. I can easily say that nights into dreams and the last blade are 2 of my favorite games of all time. I was also thinking about picking up Actraiser.
Also playing ff 7 for the first time on the psp and some blazing star which i beat in 2 credits on my 5th playthrough.[/QUOTE]

If you want to get it right away, you can get a copy of Sunsoft classic on the PS2 (Japanese version). It has Galaxy Fight and Waku Waku 7. If you're a Neo-Geo Purist like myself then you've to pay the big bucks.

P.S. I decided to start playing Metal Slug 4 again on the Neo Geo.

[quote name='dan13l858']If you want to get it right away, you can get a copy of Sunsoft classic on the PS2 (Japanese version). It has Galaxy Fight and Waku Waku 7.[/QUOTE]

That's the version I have. I personally like Galaxy Fight more.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Played through Turtles in Time the other night. Played through Thunder Heroes too, which I doubt many people in the world have played lol. Low-budget / low-profile old arcade beat 'em up that is actually quite awesome.

After some googling I found out that it is either a licensed version of, or rip-off of Gaia Crusaders, which seems a bit more popular on the interwebz. Any of you guys ever play it?[/QUOTE]

Never heard of it, but now i'm intrigued and might have to check it out! I love old school beat 'em ups.

I've been on a GBA kick lately. Been playing Gunstar Super Heroes and F-Zero GP Legend. F-Zero is fun, but pretty difficult. Is it just me?

speaking of old school beat em ups, how's the Aliens vs. Predator port for the SNES? seems to be pretty cheap and I remember it being great in the arcades.

^ It's actually not a port, it's a completely different game. I haven't played it since I was a kid but I remember it being lame. Also it's only 1-player.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ It's actually not a port, it's a completely different game. I haven't played it since I was a kid but I remember it being lame. Also it's only 1-player.[/QUOTE]

Sums it up perfectly.

[quote name='Chacrana']So in an effort to facilitate discussion...

Why do you guys play old games?[/QUOTE]

Because beat 'em ups are my 2nd favorite genre of game and they don't really make them anymore.

and my favorite is fighters, with most of the greats being older.

I like older games because the games remind me of my childhood. Before achievement points, it was about having the high score instead.

Old games are frequently easier to pick up and play for a few minutes here and there. I can always blow through a game of Ghouls N' Ghosts, if I want to play Final Fantasy XIII, I won't bother unless I know I have at least an hour to sit down more or less without interruptions.

[quote name='dan13l858']I like older games because the games remind me of my childhood. Before achievement points, it was about having the high score instead.[/QUOTE]

Your XBL name is awesome.

[quote name='Chacrana']Why do you guys play old games?[/QUOTE]

Good Question.

Mainly to experience the games I missed or looked over when I was younger. Seriously almost every oldschool game I've beatin in the past 2 years has been something I never beat. I get a thrill out of beating something old yet new.

And let me say I love this trend of making new games that look oldschool.

[quote name='Chacrana']So in an effort to facilitate discussion...

Why do you guys play old games?[/QUOTE]

I think the main reason I find myself going back to the older games is time. For the most part, old-school games are more accessible than their modern counterparts for those of us who may only have 10-15 min here and there to sit down with them. Before I had a wife and child at home I had more time available to tackle the comparatively steep learning curves of newer titles, but that free time has diminished in recent years. I do spend a fair amount of time with online FPS games though, I can usually still get a quick fix on MW2 before any nagging or crying reaches me downstairs.

Pure awesome, I just picked up IronClad and secret of mana on the VC.
I'm just crossing my fingers snk doesn't put Ironclad on snk collection volume 2, which I don't think will happen. Thinking about picking up final fantasy 8 or the gottleib pinball collection for my psp. I see japan got waku waku 7 and i cant' believe someone here said they preferred Galaxy Fight, cause I heard that was on par with Burning Fight which is one of the worst games I've ever played. I also want to pick up the Samurai Spirtits and Kof collections on the wii. I own SS1-4 but I want to hear the arranged soundtracks. I have KOf 95 and 98 but have really been wanting to play KOF96 and 97. Also that data east collection on wii is really tempting me, especially since in has magical drop 3 something I have been wanting for years.

[quote name='Neo-Nut']I see japan got waku waku 7 and i cant' believe someone here said they preferred Galaxy Fight, cause I heard that was on par with Burning Fight which is one of the worst games I've ever played.[/QUOTE]

That would be me. There's nothing wrong with Galaxy Fight. It's a decent fighter.

Alone in the Dark I. When it was released (in early 90-ties as I remember) I could only dream to have a PC and play this game. All I could done was to buy a magazine and look at a few screenshots screaming "wow! what a graphics! Like in real world!". Now I can see that graphic of AITD is somehow different that real life view :] but the game have still its magic climate for me.

I recently found a copy of Kid Dracula on the cheap. I haven't played a game that has made me this happy in a long time. I've also been playing River City Ransom for gba. It's a lot of fun, but I still like the original better. Last Resort, which I suck at..lol I wish snk classics 2 would come out, but I don't think it's going to happen.

The inverted castle in SOTN is amazing! I beat the first one a while ago, but just decided to check out the second half of the game tonight.

The enemies are much harder. It's not like the first half where you can tank through anything. I died like 4 times last night just while exploring, which is probably more times than I died in the entire first half.

[quote name='ninja dog']The inverted castle in SOTN is amazing! I beat the first one a while ago, but just decided to check out the second half of the game tonight.

The enemies are much harder. It's not like the first half where you can tank through anything. I died like 4 times last night just while exploring, which is probably more times than I died in the entire first half.[/QUOTE]

You never played SOTN before? One of my all-time favorites.

bread's done
Back