General Old School Gaming Thread - What you playin'

I got stuck on symphony of the night and can't figure out what to do. I just bought star parodier and final fantasy 8. I've been having a great time with final fantasy 7 and have really been loving some air zonk lately. I got 8 wii points left and am eyeing Lords of Thunder but I was kinda hoping it would get released on psn soon. I already got Gate of Thunder and my only complaint about it is that the sound effects from the guns are about 1000 times louder than that of star Parodier and I have to shoot less to hear the awesome music.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Just picked up Rondo of Blood on Virtual Console... awesome, awesome game. Super hard.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is. I'm at Chapter 4 right now.

[quote name='Rodimus']Yeah it is. I'm at Chapter 4 right now.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I died on it and just chose to "Save & End".

Music is awesome, and I am by no means a game music geek.

The gameplay is bad-ass too, the only thing that I don't like is that so many of the enemies fly up and down just below or above your whip. Gets frustrating lol.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']You never played SOTN before? One of my all-time favorites.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing the first half of it for years. well, picking it up, starting it, then getting distracted. I even beat it once with the bad ending. Then I marathoned the first half of the XBLA version sometime last year, but decided to take a break before hitting up the inverted castle...

I think I'm with people who say it's the best Metroidvania. the layout of the castle, the inventory system, the ridiculous amount of sprites and animation, the music...all on a big screen. it's all just way above the other games, imo.

Personally, I think Symphony of the Night is the best game ever. Yep yep.

Or I dunno... maybe it's tied with Xenogears for me for all time fave.

SOTN is my favorite one-player game ever. Glad to hear you're enjoying it possum.

Unlocked Maria in Rondo today. I think I am at Stage 6 now. Maria makes the game a bit easier.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice'] the only thing that I don't like is that so many of the enemies fly up and down just below or above your whip. Gets frustrating lol.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it contributes to the difficulty. I'd like to see a 2D installment adopt Castlevania IVs 8-direction whip style. I used Maria a little bit too. Unfortunately she takes bigger damage, so you have to be careful with her.

SOTN is my favorite Castlevania. Must have beaten that game at least 5 times. I still have my Saturn version with Maria, 2 extra areas and some extra goodies.

speaking of Castlevania IV, what's the point of that "hold down the button to hold the whip out and wiggle it around" move? I think I used it to get to a hard to reach candle once.

^ I remember that move being vital to beat Dracula. As soon as he sends out the 3 fireballs you whip at them and hold it to diffuse the bottom one. Whip at the head, rinse, repeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished playing Drill Dozer (GBA) and Nasty (XBLIG)

Currently playing through the final mission of Ninja Five-O on Hard difficulty. (It's hard.)

Is anyone else taking advantage of the awesomeness Goozex is now since they started dealing retro games? I've have annihilated my NES/SNES/GEN/N64 games I've been wanting to buy!

Already have got:

Double Dragon (NES), Metroid(NES), Star Wars Rouge Squadron(N64), Turok(N64), Dragon Warrior (NES), Pilotwings(SNES), F-Zero(SNES), Crystalis(NES), Altered Beast(GEN), Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES), Smash TV(NES), Final Fantasy (NES), Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES).

Needless to say that's going to take me a decent time to go through, but for just about the price of one new 360 game, I couldn't resist!

^ Yeah, I have a couple SNES and Sega CD games on my request list. It's cool to see Goozex deal in oldschool games, however I'd like Saturn games make the cut as well.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ Yeah, I have a couple SNES and Sega CD games on my request list. It's cool to see Goozex deal in oldschool games, however I'd like Saturn games make the cut as well.[/QUOTE]

What Sega CD games are you looking for? I have a bunch of disc-only ones that I am looking to get rid of for cheap / a trade.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ Yeah, I have a couple SNES and Sega CD games on my request list. It's cool to see Goozex deal in oldschool games, however I'd like Saturn games make the cut as well.[/QUOTE]

Oh if they added Saturn games, I would be in bliss. Although thanks to CAG, I've assembled pretty much all of the cheaper titles, still looking for a few more of the expensive RPGs. Only have Guardian Heroes thanks to you and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Also sidenote. I really enjoyed Mega Man X4 on the PS1, and everyone I spoke to said it was a lot better on the Saturn, so I picked that up. Am I missing something? I don't like it nearly as much, mainly because A is charge and C is boost, makes it a lot trickier to dash around effectively.

I'm still been trying to beat the "Magnificent Five" in Viewtiful Joe.

I really want to play the second one (I owned it before I owned the first one), but I must beat these buttholes.

But I must say, you don't see that very much in todays games, which is sad because I really feel like I accomplish something when I do beat them. (That is, throwing all the previous bosses at you right before the final boss, and making you beat them all in one clean run.). It seems like they used to do it all the time.

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']Oh if they added Saturn games, I would be in bliss. Although thanks to CAG, I've assembled pretty much all of the cheaper titles, still looking for a few more of the expensive RPGs. Only have Guardian Heroes thanks to you and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Also sidenote. I really enjoyed Mega Man X4 on the PS1, and everyone I spoke to said it was a lot better on the Saturn, so I picked that up. Am I missing something? I don't like it nearly as much, mainly because A is charge and C is boost, makes it a lot trickier to dash around effectively.[/QUOTE]

Aren't there multiple control schemes in the Saturn version? Either way, real men dash by tapping forward twice... not using C. Yep.

But yeah, the Saturn version is better than the PS1 version overall, but the differences are pretty minor... it's basically just visual stuff... and the audio quality for the music is way better.

[quote name='Chacrana']Aren't there multiple control schemes in the Saturn version? Either way, real men dash by tapping forward twice... not using C. Yep.

But yeah, the Saturn version is better than the PS1 version overall, but the differences are pretty minor... it's basically just visual stuff... and the audio quality for the music is way better.[/QUOTE]

Haha, well to be fair, I was never up on the 2D fighters and double tapping forward always seems like a chore to me. I did just go back and play some Mega Man X2 yesterday though, and apparently I dash by curling my index finger up and pressing B with the fingernail side. The same probably applies for the PSX.

And yes, music quality was the biggest thing I noticed.

[quote name='Rodimus']Pretty much anything 2D/Capcom is always better on the Saturn than PS1. [/QUOTE]

Agreed. However, the good 2D Capcom fighter games came out in Japan which is a bummer for Westerners back in the 90's. It wasn't until many years later that i picked up all the japanese released 2D Capcom fighter games. I still don't understand why so many of the PS1 Capcom fighting games are sooooooo expensive. They were horrible ports of the games. It's probably due to limited release or something else.

[quote name='dan13l858']I still don't understand why so many of the PS1 Capcom fighting games are sooooooo expensive. They were horrible ports of the games. It's probably due to limited release or something else.[/QUOTE]

For the Capcom Edge points of course.

I worked at a video game store during high school around the time these Capcom Edge points were in circulation. I'd take the points from trade ins and save them. I know, I'm a jerk. I saved up and had something crazy like 200-300 points but when I finally went to use them the program was discontinued. I guess that's karma. Anyways I still have the points somewhere.

vdnyf.jpg

I remember saving up a lot of Capcom Edge points, requesting a catalog, and then never actually receiving one. Damn you, Capcom, I WILL redeem my points someday. Just you watch!

I actually cashed in Fighter's Edge points. I had enough points to order the stereo they had.

They sent me 2 boomboxes instead. It was really funny / random. I have a shirt somewhere too I think.

I could never bring myself to cut up my instruction manuals for the points. Most of the ones I got came later though, I was pretty well stuck on the Saturn for fighting stuff through that whole generation and most of the following one.

[quote name='Halo05']I could never bring myself to cut up my instruction manuals for the points. Most of the ones I got came later though, I was pretty well stuck on the Saturn for fighting stuff through that whole generation and most of the following one.[/QUOTE]

I never cut up my instructions manual either for Capcom Edge points.

Anyone a fan of the Heroes of Might and Magic series? I played the first two a lot back when they were originally released. I was sick of the series by the time the third one came out, but I just recently picked up a copy and it consumed a good chunk of my weekend.

[quote name='dan13l858']I'm currently playing WWF Superstar in my garage. Randy Savage and Big Boss Man team can't be stopped.[/QUOTE]

I saw the pics of these in the collection thread. Which one's the newer one, Wrestlefest or Superstars?

WWF Superstar was the first game that came out. It's the one where you fight Andre the Giant and Million Dollar Man. WWF Wrestlefest is the last game they did with the Technos team. It has the Royal Rumble and tag team mode were you fight the Legion of Doom.

I've been playing some iron clad, gates of thunder, and secret of mana.
Gates of thunder is brutal on devil mode. I had to mix in some star fox 64, air zonk, and Sin and Punishment because I couldn't beat the last level on iron clad. Thinking about hooking up my saturn for some nights into dreams, panzer dragoon 2 zwei, and guardian heroes.

Beat Fire n' Ice for the NES last night. I've always wanted to beat it and finally I did it. What great puzzle game, one of my favorites. Defiantly an overlooked gem.

Super street fighter 2 on sega genesis with a six button controller I have beaten the game with ryu, ken, mbison, honda, blanka I want to beat the game with every character.

Hopefully picking up Legend of Zelda: Collector's edition for gamecube this weekend. Will be playing through Zelda I and II. Never have made it all the way through II. One of my favorites of all time though.

Beat Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse earlier. Damn that game is hard. Sypha's 3 Orb attack was very useful against Death and Dracula's second form. I always played with Alucard so I never realized how handy she was.

I just finished up Skyblazer on the SNES. That was the first time I had ever played it. A very colorful platformer with a magic system (up to 8 spells), and a somewhat nonlinear overworld map. Not terribly difficult.

I played and finished Fire Emblem for the GBA not too long ago. I remember it being hard when I was younger but many FE games later and its actually pretty damn easy. Still very, very good and it has aged well, but easier for me really.

Also been playing Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland in anticipation for Kirby Epic Yarn. I also picked up Quackshot: Starring Donald Duck for Genesis. fucking awesome, I been on a Genesis fix lately picking up complete (box and booklet) games. I'm hoping in a year or so, I'll have all the Genesis games I want complete. It'll look pretty bad-ass lol

I've always wanted to play through Quackshot. I remember a friend owning it when I was young and loved it, but never had the chance to sit down and play it for more than 30 minutes.

bread's done
Back