General Old School Gaming Thread - What you playin'

Beat Quackshot (Genesis) for the first time just now. Very easy game & short but it's still nice to finally beat it. One of my Genisis friends growing up had this. He would only let me play it for a short while before he would get bored and shut it down to play something else like Sonic or Joe Montana Football.

I just bought my first NES over the summer (I was a Sega Gamer back in the day). I have been playing Gyruss pretty much non-stop. It is pretty awesome.

Wow, I thought Quackshot was quick and easy, Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey & Donald took me less than an hour to beat. Still it's a nice looking and sounding early Genesis game, but defiantly for the kiddies.

On a Genesis high right now, so I'm trying to think of more Genesis games I never beat. I'm considering Alien Solider, Alisa Dragoon, Castlevania: Bloodlines or Valis.

Recently hooked up my Genesis, and played some MK 3 and some sonic. I am proud that I have so many of my old gaming systems, but I must be honest...its better to just buy the games on the newer systems, as the hookup and controller make the experience less enjoyable than its worth.

On a Dreamcast kick--Beat Grandia 2, now working on Skies of Arcadia... and trying to beat Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES), but haven't made it very far the couple of times I've played so far.

Just picked up a NES game titled "Legend of the Ghost Lion". Far, far ahead of it's time. It's like a Dragon Warrior clone, but you have spirits you can summon mid-battle and each have thier own HP. Very awesome.

I just saw Alladin, lion king, quackshot and Mickey mania at a thrift store for $5 each and all are complete. Any recommendations on getting any of the games or is that considered abit too high on price?

Been playing the Mega Man collection on PS2 - man those games kick my ass! And I picked up a SNES copy of Aero Fighters at a garage sale for $.50! Super fun game! I almost peed when the told me $.50!

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']Just picked up a NES game titled "Legend of the Ghost Lion". Far, far ahead of it's time. It's like a Dragon Warrior clone, but you have spirits you can summon mid-battle and each have thier own HP. Very awesome.[/QUOTE]

Love the box art for that one:

250px-Ghost_Lion_Coverart.png

I've been addicted to Pengo lately on my arcade cab. Man that game is tough but it has some sweet gameplay and even sweeter music.

[quote name='Fonz72']Been playing the Mega Man collection on PS2 - man those games kick my ass! And I picked up a SNES copy of Aero Fighters at a garage sale for $.50! Super fun game! I almost peed when the told me $.50![/QUOTE]

Isn't Aero Fighters stupid-rare?

Good find but man, why don't people at least glance on eBay?
Because eBay has become relentlessly cluttered. If I type the name of a videogame I'm looking for, it takes ages to actually start browsing the listings. Well played eBay, well played.

I bought The Last Express off GOG yesterday!!!

heard it's supposed to be like the 2nd greatest game ever made.

so far it's aiite.

Playing some earthbound. Got it for 50 cents. The game is weird as hell to anyone who has never played it. I'm digging the psychadelic colors and reggae jazz music during the battle scenes though XD

maaaaaaan.

Last Express is hard, I cant figure out what Im supposed to do and I ended up getting stabbed to death >_<

I'm gonna start over later, but in the meantime I wanted to play another game,

so I found Tomba in my backlog!!!

that game is OK... been playing it for like 2 days and it reminds me of Demons Souls,

that is it's a fun game but one with a lot of exploration that I dont have the patience for...

especially with a huge backlog, but at least I can pull Tomba off of it finally.

[quote name='Eagle3ye']Playing some earthbound. Got it for 50 cents. The game is weird as hell to anyone who has never played it. I'm digging the psychadelic colors and reggae jazz music during the battle scenes though XD[/QUOTE]

Play it while obscenely tired or drunk for enhanced effects.

At this point, I just pray for any VC releases on Wii. I'd love to get Lufia 1 and/or 2. That's about all I still want out of the VC.

[quote name='Halo05']Play it while obscenely tired or drunk for enhanced effects.[/QUOTE]

I second this. Pretty much only fired this game up while inebriated. Even things like simple level grinding were fun.

[quote name='Rodimus']Wow, I thought Quackshot was quick and easy, Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey & Donald took me less than an hour to beat. Still it's a nice looking and sounding early Genesis game, but defiantly for the kiddies.

On a Genesis high right now, so I'm trying to think of more Genesis games I never beat. I'm considering Alien Solider, Alisa Dragoon, Castlevania: Bloodlines or Valis.[/QUOTE]

How long did Quackshot take you?

Seems the only classic gaming (or any gaming for that matter) I get lately is when my 2 year old daughter wants to go down into what was once my man cave/media room/sanctuary and "watch Mario"/aka make Mario run around in circles in Mario 64. Kids are great but you're fooling yourself if you think you can maintain any hobbies once they start coming. And to think, when the day comes that I'll have enough free time again my reflexes will be shot to hell.

[quote name='Eagle3ye']Playing some earthbound. Got it for 50 cents.[/QUOTE]

Wow really? That is one amazing deal! I would LOVE a 50 cent Earthbound!

the fuuuuuk?!?! in Orange County?!?!

where??? Ive been living here since August and the only Goodwill I know is the one on Bristol.

they had a bunch of SNES and GBA games that I didnt want lol

[quote name='JJSP']I bought a CDX Genesis today at Goodwill.[/QUOTE]

Nice! How much did it run you if you don't mind me asking?

I saw a Game Gear at a local Goodwill and they wanted $40 for it, so I would imagine if they had a CDX they would be trying to get more...or hell maybe well less than that if they had no idea what it was.

[quote name='Deefuzz']Nice! How much did it run you if you don't mind me asking?

I saw a Game Gear at a local Goodwill and they wanted $40 for it, so I would imagine if they had a CDX they would be trying to get more...or hell maybe well less than that if they had no idea what it was.[/QUOTE]
...$12. I think it was the latter, as it came with the original CDX AC Adapter and two 6-button controllers. They had a Saturn with one 6-button, RF, and a Justifier (?!) for $25.

I'd never even seen one before in person, but there it was, smiling at me with it's goofy AA powered smile.

Holy tapdancing christ. What a steal. I have a CDX but I'm too paranoid to even take it out of the box. I'd be all about getting another one at those prices.

jus got this:

29f142dd71e04d2c84e290589b5e9bfc_7.jpg

Commodore 64 1702 monitor.

the good news: running composite systems on it and it looks so clean!! tested with my PS2 and it's gorgeous!!

bad news: sound is fucked up... hafta use weird workaround methods to get it sounding nice, but I'm gonna look for a local repairman to see if that helps.

also bad news; the UP and LEFT directions on my PS2 dpad dont work >_< gotta go pick up a new one

You can get/make an adapter to use the luma/chroma ports on the back with an s-video cable for an even better picture.

Also, I'd just use an external speaker since it doesn't support stereo.

true dat, I was definitely considering going the external speaker route.

but like I said Ive hooked up a PS2 to it and Im not sure if that console does S-Video??

can you turn the composite into chroma/luma??

PS2 does S-video like a champ. I think I use a 3 in 1 S-video cable from Gamestop and it looks significantly better than composite on an old 20" CRT TV in my bedroom back home.

[quote name='JEKKI']Oh cool. I needa new dual shock anyways so I'll add that to my shopping list too!![/QUOTE]

Don't know if they have Five Below in SoCal, but the ones around here have official PS2 dual shocks for 5 bucks.

whaaaaat?!?! boo, I jus bought one for $15 lol, and the store's real far so even if I found a cheaper one it would not make economic sense to go and return it lol.

anywayz... any links on how to make or purchase the cable adapter??

Im searching google but dont really kno what Im lookin for lol... I did however find the S-video cable for PS2 so at least I took the first step!!

also... found a games.com console with like every game for it for $120.

I want it, but I dont got $120 lol

whooo~!!! thanks!! picked up that cable with a coupler and some audio stuff too, spent like $20 after shipping.

maaaaan classic gaming is expensive!!

semi-working monitor. Cables. a new controller.

now I still needa buy S Video cables for my systems and also a new speakers

and then I still needa buy games! lol

You'll probably want an S-video switch box too if you don't want to constantly unhook things, all my old systems run through one.

Haha, I just remembered I had an account here, so hello.

I've been doing a lot with the NES recently. Accumulating some games from yard sales and such... Playing through Kirby's Adventure now. It's like I'm a little kid again!

my setup's been done for a few weeks now, but I still want a small stand so once I get that I'll take pics to share!!

I'd go buy the stand now, but the reason Im holding out is coz I dont wanna buy it til I have time to play PS2 lol.

anyways, I bought Adventures in the Magical Kingdom for NES over the weekend.

since it's a Capcom Disney game that I havent played, I thought it was gonna be this awesome gem that I somehow never played as a kid.

it wasn't... the game was actually hella terrible lol. :cry:

it woulda been best if I really did never play it

hmmm... y'know, my old-school setup's actually in a condition where it's worth showing off... maybe I'll take a pic later.

I've been playing some of the amazing Lunar Silver Star on Sega CD. It's always fun, I love my PS copy but sometimes I just need to play it on Sega.

[quote name='SCM77']I've been playing some of the amazing Lunar Silver Star on Sega CD. It's always fun, I love my PS copy but sometimes I just need to play it on Sega.[/QUOTE]
I'm still debating which I should play, I own both but my PSX copy is sealed. I hear the story is better on the Playstation but the Sega CD has better audio?

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm still debating which I should play, I own both but my PSX copy is sealed. I hear the story is better on the Playstation but the Sega CD has better audio?[/QUOTE]

This is gonna sound weird, but I seem to recall you buying that game like... 6 years ago on here. And you still haven't played it?

Err.... but anyway, the PS1 version is better overall, I think. Gameplay refinements, better translation, better graphics.

Though I still really can't stand Lunar in any capacity.

So I just bought Majora's Mask and realized I needed an expansion pak. I opened my system and saw a red pak in there. Am I all set or were there different versions of the pak which would mean I need a specific one.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']So I just bought Majora's Mask and realized I needed an expansion pak. I opened my system and saw a red pak in there. Am I all set or were there different versions of the pak which would mean I need a specific one.[/QUOTE]

The one with the red on top is the expansion pak, so you're fine.

bread's done
Back