General Old School Gaming Thread - What you playin'

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm still debating which I should play, I own both but my PSX copy is sealed. I hear the story is better on the Playstation but the Sega CD has better audio?[/QUOTE]

I always thought the PSX version was the better version and the main reason why people preferred the original was for nostalgic effect. But I will say the Sega CD intro is the best. Still I'm not sure what the technical differences are. I thought I remember reading the the orginal was a bit more difficult, but I'm not sure.

I started playing Clock Tower 3!!!

I have a small stack of horror games for PS2 I really wanna play thru,

gonna start with this one! ~20 minutes in so far, prolly will have time to a play a bit more on wednesday

[quote name='Chacrana']This is gonna sound weird, but I seem to recall you buying that game like... 6 years ago on here. And you still haven't played it?

Err.... but anyway, the PS1 version is better overall, I think. Gameplay refinements, better translation, better graphics.

Though I still really can't stand Lunar in any capacity.[/QUOTE]
I have a very large backlog, I just played Grandia and I'm finishing up Rogue Galaxy. I'm going to tackle Xenogears/Xenosaga1-3 and Suikoden 1-5 pretty soon, though I might play some 16 bit era RPG's in between. Plus I need to replay Final Fantasy in order, though sadly I got bored playing FF Origins and gave up.

A sealed game like that is like a new car, you're going to take a big depreciation hit. So why do it? I've been trying to get a used copy but to no avail.

I've been playing A Link to the Past a lot recently since I just bought a SNES. It's the only Zelda game that I've never played before, and I think it's my favorite, at least of the 2D Zelda games; 2nd favorite overall behind Wind Waker.

I played through Metroid and Metroid II last week. I was never able to beat Metroid as a kid because I found it too hard. It was difficult for me even now, but it got easier once I found the ice beam and wave beam (at first, I tried to beat Kraid with the regular beam).

Metroid II I couldn't beat as a kid because I couldn't find one Metroid. When I played last week, I had no trouble finding any of them, so I don't know how I could have missed one.

Next up, Super Metroid.

Played Mario Paint on my SNES for a little bit. Picked up Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse and River City Ransom, and Deja Vu for the NES.

yup. Haunting Ground n Rule of Rose are sitting with me right beside CT3 for my horror backlog!!

I played more clock tower last nite too!!

lol I was supposed to go to the gym to practice break dancing, but stupid azz jrpg final boss in Clock Tower 3 with his 9999999999 HP and instant death traps wtf man?!?!?!

yeay that final boss sucked lol... but I beat CT3!!!

now time to go back and play my modern games for a bit before I make a return and start Haunting Ground

been playing Haunting Ground.

it's a castle explory type game where u try to make a dog follow u around while getting chased by these bad guys.

basically I found a key to open a desk way the freek on the other side of the castle.

I try to get there, end up getting chased by that big azz dood on the way there, lose my dog, manage to escape the person chasing me, unlock the desk, get an item to solve a puzzle which is on the other side of the map again, go thru the castle, get chased again, lose him, find my dog, solve puzzle, and finally enter a new area.

only to find out the new area is a dead end... with a boss, and once I beat that boss I get another key.

and I have no idea where the corresponding door is!!!!

I was about to play Aladdin on my sega master system and once I see the title screen the system turns off. it seems if turns on for a few minutes and off again. I guess I need to buy an SMS.

whoo~!! I beat Haunting Ground!!

dang what a weird game lol.

I'm so survival horrored out now lol. gotta take a break from old games and play sum new ones!!

Rogue Galaxy's ending kinda sucked but I still enjoyed the game. Its as if their CGI budget ran out with half the ending left to go and they just said fuck it.

@Metal Militia, I loved the arcade Rastan, i still check it out every now and then. There was an arcade that was near my house when I was little and the music during Attract mode really gets some good nostalgia feelings going.

@Dafoomie, did you ever play lunar? I finished the sega cd version originally and couldn't stand the playstation version because of the non random encounters. However the psp one which also has non random encounters, I enjoyed. I have the GBA one too but never played it.

For me at the moment I'm playing Oracle of Seasons, Ocarina of Time, and Final Fantasy Nes all for the first time. However with the impending release of Diablo 3, I started up D2 for the 4th time. The music and voice acting also gives me nostalgia because it still has that old Kings Quest and pc midi music feel.

Just finished Panzer Saga again. In light of all my N64/SNES cover making, I think my next play will be either 16 or 64 bit ;)

I picked up a copy of Lunar 2 for the Sega CD and Jurassic Park (PAL release) for the Sega Master system. So far I think that I like Lunar Silver Star Story better than Lunar 2.

As for Jurassic Park - So far I like it better than the genesis Jurassic Park games that were released here. Graphics and sound are great for a Master System game. Game play seems solid so far, but I have sunk all of my time into Lunar 2 so I haven't gotten too deep into Jurassic Park.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I've loaded up Freedom Fighters and I'm playing that again. I enjoyed it the first time around.

I'm also playing Tecmo Bowl for the NES. Bo Jackson 4TW!

I'm hoping to hook up the Genesis this weekend. I'm almost done with Freedom Fighters and want to get started on Strider for the Genesis.

I just played a bit of Lethal Weapon for the NES and SNES for a recent video review I did. The NES one is kind of like Final Fight and sort of fun in a terrible way, but the SNES one is one of the worst platformers I've played. Terrible hit detection.

Here's the video review I did if anyone wants to check it out: Lethal Weapon Video Game Showdown

[quote name='Rodimus']Played some G.I. Joe Atlantis Factor (NES) It kicked my ass.[/QUOTE]

That's the second one? I think the first one was a bit better, but both are pretty hard. Would like to see a retro style side-scrolling G.I. Joe game to tie into the new movie coming out this summer, but that's kinda unlikely.

[quote name='Uncle Milkshake']That's the second one? I think the first one was a bit better, but both are pretty hard. Would like to see a retro style side-scrolling G.I. Joe game to tie into the new movie coming out this summer, but that's kinda unlikely.[/QUOTE]

You guys ever try the GI Joe Arcade game?

GI_Joe_(Konami_leaflet).png

[quote name='Uncle Milkshake']That's the second one? I think the first one was a bit better, but both are pretty hard. Would like to see a retro style side-scrolling G.I. Joe game to tie into the new movie coming out this summer, but that's kinda unlikely.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's the second one. It has a level select very similar to Bionic Commando with branching paths. The first one has a traditional level structure. I like them both for diffrent reasons, but they're both very unforgiving. The furthest I made it in the first one was Destro. But I later Game Genie'd that bitch ;)

I never played the G.I. Joe Arcade, I've actually never seen one, but from the screens it looks like a 4-player co-op rail shooter. I didn't even know this existed until I was much older. Is it rare?

Mega Man 3 is SOOOOOOO hard. I may take a break instead of going right into Mega Man 4. Jesus. I'm not even sure I was having fun.

[quote name='Javery']Mega Man 3 is SOOOOOOO hard. I may take a break instead of going right into Mega Man 4. Jesus. I'm not even sure I was having fun.[/QUOTE]

Fuuuuuck.... Mega Man 4 seems hard too. Maybe I should look up the boss order...

Doing a Mega Man series runthrough? I did that when the Anniversery Collection came out several years ago. I've been entertaining the idea of doing it again, but for the X series instead.

I've been wanting to replay the PS1 X games and figure I might as well do the entire series. I'm curious to see just how bad my skills have aged.

yeah - I'm going through all of them. At least the NES games. I never played the Mega Man X games though so I might do at least the first one in that series as well. Mega Man 1 and 2 were pretty easy but 3 was damn near impossible - especially at the end in Dr. Wily's castle. So many deaths.

I got to Brightman in MM4 with just the Mega Buster and I had to shoot that dickhead like 3 times to get one little energy bar down. PAINFUL.

If you need a little tip, Toad Man is the easiest robot master to beat in MM4.

I always found Mega Man 1 to be a little on the hard side. The Robot Masters are easy, but it's Wily's Castle that kicks your butt. Plus Guts Man level with the dropping platforms always gets me once or twice.

I will take down Toad Man next. I was pretty good at MM1... probably because I actually bought the cart in 1986 or whenever it first came out and played it to death (because there was nothing else to play when you could only get 2 or 3 games per year). Hell, I even remembering "designing" the robot masters for MM3 right after beating MM2 and wanting a new game. The yellow guy with one eye was the toughest part I think. I'm by no means an expert and I die all the time but MM1 and MM2 never seemed frustrating unlike MM3 where I was cursing all the time.

I had MM3 & 4 as a kid so I'm still a little familar with strategy and boss order, but in retrospect they were not easy. I think 5 and 6 are a bit easier but probably only cause I played through the games in successive order in just a few days. By the time I got to 5 I was a Mega Man wiz. Out of curiosity are you playing from the Anniversery Collection or orginal carts?

MM2 is a cake walk, not because it's an easy game, but I've played it soooo much that I've built an insticntive reaction that must've been passed down to my child through DNA.

[quote name='Rodimus']MM2 is a cake walk, not because it's an easy game, but I've played it soooo much that I've built an insticntive reaction that must've been passed down to my child through DNA.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I can beat MM2 with my eyes closed. Right now I'm playing on
an emulator on my PSP
since the NES isn't hooked up to anything and is in a box god knows where in my basement. It works pretty good and I'm not using cheats or anything (otherwise what is the point). Once I get my basement refinished I'm planning on hooking up the NES and SNES for my son assuming he ever develops the patience necessary to play the older games.

fuck those platforms on Gutsman's stage! Those things SUCK!

I would just go to Elecman beforehand to get the platform beam thing.

The platforms never really bugged me but I've literally never beaten the rock monster in Wily's castle. fucker just stomps me and has been doing so across half a dozen platforms since the late 80s.

[quote name='wiggyx']fuck those platforms on Gutsman's stage! Those things SUCK!

I would just go to Elecman beforehand to get the platform beam thing.[/QUOTE]

Don't you need Guts Man ability to lift blocks to access the Magnet Beam?

[quote name='Halo05']The platforms never really bugged me but I've literally never beaten the rock monster in Wily's castle. fucker just stomps me and has been doing so across half a dozen platforms since the late 80s.[/QUOTE]

You know there's a REALLY simple trick to beating him, right?

Shoot elec beam at his eye, hit 'select' right before it hits his head to pause it, then mash select as fast as you can. Ever time you pause and un-pause it he will take damage. Takes about 10 seconds to kill him this way.

Otherwise, he's pretty much impossible as far as I'm concerned :(

[quote name='Rodimus']Don't you need Guts Man ability to lift blocks to access the Magnet Beam?[/QUOTE]

The elec beam also destroys them ;)

The vanishing platforms on Ice Man's stage in Mega Man 1 was painful for me as a kid. Lots of very quick reflexes. Mega Man 3 had a lot of slowdown, but then again so did certain parts of Mega Man 2 like Bubble Man's stage. Without any passwords or Game Genie I was able to get to Wily's Fortress in Mega Man 1 and pass the first 8 bosses in Mega Man 3. I loved those games, but was none too good at them.

[quote name='Halo05']I know the pause/unpause trick to beating the rock monster guy, I just always wanted to do it "right".[/QUOTE]

This must have been some strange NES thing. This trick also worked in Blaster Master and I want to say Fester's Quest.

[quote name='dafoomie']I had difficulty playing Super Mario Bros the other day, I think its the lag on the LCD.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good excuse for being out of practice to me ;)

[quote name='Rodimus']The phantom blocks in Heat Man's level are a true challenge. If you're bad ass enough to do it without the #2 Board.[/QUOTE]

That is indeed tough. I did it the 1st few times that I beat the game before realizing that I could just fly over the whole damned mess LOL!

[quote name='Halo05']I know the pause/unpause trick to beating the rock monster guy, I just always wanted to do it "right".[/QUOTE]

I can totally respect that. If it makes you feel any better, I've NEVER been able to beat that guy without the trick. I was stuck on him for like 2 years before a friend told me about it in middle school and I was FINALLY able to beat him (and the game).

There's gotta be some vids on youtube outlining the patterns and what the best techniques are...

You just need to dodge the bottom 2 rows of blocks that move from each side of the screen. Also, patience is key - only try and get one shot in before getting ready to dodge and you will develop a rhythm.

I'm 1/2 way through MM4 now. I just beat up on Drill Man (I didn't have a good weapon for him so I took him down the old fashioned way). It took a bunch of tries before developing a pattern that worked - always run towards him and he won't shoot at you. Just be prepared to either jump over him or slide under him depending on what he does.

I just bought a Duo R off eBay. Modded for RGB, S-video, US and JP Hucards, and with a new lens installed.

Next eventual step is tracking down an XRGB box. I'll probably take the plunge on that thing in a couple months once my disposable income has bounced back a little bit.

bread's done
Back