General Old School Gaming Thread - What you playin'

No problem I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Never heard of it either until this video. It's a good challenge I must admit, especially one boss in particular that reminds me of the Yellow Devil (one-eyed blob) from Mega Man. Hardest boss in the game and not even the last boss, watch out for him.

oh wow that Samson game looks amazing!!

*checks gamedude for price*

daaaaaaang $49, I wonder if I can get it cheaper online

*checks ebay*

$400?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

now I am genuinely gonna be on the lookout for this game at classic mom n pop stores

Little Samson is really rare and a great game. However, I would only be willing to pay a max of $75 for it. Just two years ago, it was on amazon for $100 or less.

I've been playing Super Mario World lately. Easy as hell, but I've just been doing 96 star speed runs. I got my time down to a little under three hours.

I may have to do a speed run straight through Bowser as I've noticed you can use the Star World to get there with only 11 levels completed when you restart.

[quote name='pyoobez']I've been playing Super Mario World lately. Easy as hell, but I've just been doing 96 star speed runs. I got my time down to a little under three hours.

I may have to do a speed run straight through Bowser as I've noticed you can use the Star World to get there with only 11 levels completed when you restart.[/QUOTE]

That game literally lives in one of my GBAs. On my top ten of all time, for sure :D

Finally beat Holy Diver, but I couldn't do it without cheating. The first few levels started out good but around level 4 things just get too crazy.

Sorry for the double post, Now that I'm on this "old school craze" I'm trying to think of my next game. Looking for platformers, mainly ones I never beat.

Most recently I beat Little Samson, Darkwing Duck, Bucky O'Hare & Quackshot. Thinking about Metal Storm (NES) always heard good things about that.

[quote name='Rodimus']Sorry for the double post, Now that I'm on this "old school craze" I'm trying to think of my next game. Looking for platformers, mainly ones I never beat.

Most recently I beat Little Samson, Darkwing Duck, Bucky O'Hare & Quackshot. Thinking about Metal Storm (NES) always heard good things about that.[/QUOTE]

I always liked Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu.

Hmmm...NES favs:

Bubble Bobble
Mega Man 2
Jackie Chan Action KungFu

Genesis:

Gunstar Heroes
Rolling Thunder 2
Comix Zone

SNES:

Sunset Riders
Cybernator
UN Squadron

I dusted off my Saturn for a little Daaytona, VF2, Sega Rally, House of the Dead, and some Japan shooters like Radiant Silvergun and Thunderforce V.

Been playing quite a few oldschool games. My old college roommate is staying with me and we've been having some nostalgic fun. Popped in Capcom classics Collection vol. 1 & 2, we beat King of Dragons & Mercs

Also fired up a Mame emulator :whistle2:$ and played some Osman. BTW if you haven't seen Osman you owe it to yourself to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7NP_wBApLI

In honor of Atari's recent 40th birthday (founded in June 1972)- I took apart my Atari 2600 (Darth Vader model) and scrubbed 30 years of dust and crud out of every nook and cranny. Since then I have been playing it non-stop. Mostly Space Invaders and Ms. Pacman.

Does anybody remember this sytem that I'm thinking of? It was in the 90s it was some type of handheld system that had an eye piece. I'm pretty sure the color was red and black that the games were played in. It wasn't made Sega or Nintendo. I was watching Hackers on one of the movie channels yesterday and one of the guys was wearing a head piece type thing that looked like the same thing from the game.

[quote name='pimpster4183']Does anybody remember this sytem that I'm thinking of? It was in the 90s it was some type of handheld system that had an eye piece. I'm pretty sure the color was red and black that the games were played in. It wasn't made Sega or Nintendo. I was watching Hackers on one of the movie channels yesterday and one of the guys was wearing a head piece type thing that looked like the same thing from the game.[/QUOTE]

was it the R Zone from Tiger electronics?

[quote name='M_Carp']was it the R Zone from Tiger electronics?[/QUOTE]

that's it, thanks! I never had one but wanted to look it up online just to read up on it.

I was thinking of firing up one of the phantasy star games on my genesis collection, never played any of em. I also wanted to replay MGS and maybe some real bout special.

Today I picked up a few games: Ghosts N Goblins (NES), Star Wars: The empire strikes back (Atari 2600), Neo Contra (PS2), and Godzilla Destroy All Monsters (gamecube)... Perfect way to make sure my Air Conditioning doesn't go to waste!

Just recently finished Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link. Easily the worst presentation of a Zelda game I've played. The dialogue/translation is pretty dreadful; felt like the least polished Nintendo developed product I've ever played. That being said, the game was still pretty enjoyable after all this time. On a side note, that enjoyment probably was due to the fact that I used a walkthrough. Not sure I would want to rely on the dialogue in the game to figure out where to go next.

I think my next old school project will be Link Awakening. I've been on a bit of a Zelda kick (beat the original and the second title in the past two months), and I've heard nothing but great things about the game.

I absolutely love Zelda 2. I think the more hands-on combat is what sold me on it back in the day. I've still never beaten it though. The slog to the final temple is arduous to say the least.

I'm playing through Super Metroid for the first time. It's fantastic of course, my one minor quibble is that the powerup icons on the map don't go away after obtaining the item! Absolutely dumb and inexcusable. I have played through Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission and I don't recall those games doing the same thing, but it's been a while. Also, I feel that at the beginning of the game there are tons of places where the x-ray visor would come in handy, but after getting the visor there are much fewer areas like this...or maybe I'm just overusing it.

I think that's the point with the X-ray goggles. I think they wanted you/us to find as much as we could using conventional methods, then use the goggles to help find that last bit via backtracking and whatnot.

Splatterhouse, the real Splatterhouse.
d13a5633.jpg

[quote name='Melatonin']I'm playing through Super Metroid for the first time. It's fantastic of course, my one minor quibble is that the powerup icons on the map don't go away after obtaining the item! Absolutely dumb and inexcusable. I have played through Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission and I don't recall those games doing the same thing, but it's been a while. Also, I feel that at the beginning of the game there are tons of places where the x-ray visor would come in handy, but after getting the visor there are much fewer areas like this...or maybe I'm just overusing it.[/QUOTE]

I actually remember the excitement of playing Super Metroid for the first time. Obviously, it's not going to be the same for you having played Fusion and Zero Mission, but it still is an great game to this day. That type of gameplay model really hasn't changed that much, so Metroid holds up incredibly well.

[quote name='Ash Burton']Splatterhouse, the real Splatterhouse.
d13a5633.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm jealous as well. I picked up an FM Towns Marty a couple of months ago and need to track down a copy of Splatterhouse. It's extremely expensive though. :cry: Looks like my TurboGrafx-16 copy will have to hold me off until then.

Right now I'm playing Wind Waker. I can't believe its been 9 years since I last played this game. After Wind Waker I plan on playing through A Link to the Past and Twilight Princess ( on Gamecube since my first play through was on the Wii)

The FM Towns is an EXACT copy of the arcade PCB, I would love to own that as well. Hell, I would love to find a FM Towns, so many great shooters :cool:

I beat Super Metroid with 69% item completion in 6:43. It was fantastic of course, but I think I slightly prefer the Castlevania series with its more RPG-like gameplay.

Currently I've been very addicted to Kirby's Pinball Land, originally a Game Boy title but made available on 3DS' eShop. My goal is to actually "beat" the game, which would be to beat the boss of all three tables, then beat Dedede at the end. This might take a while to do, but I have gotten to Dedede once and I think I came close to beating him too. At least I can consistently beat 2 of the 3 bosses before getting a game over. I really feel the game is out to get me though and the closer I get to winning, the worse my luck gets. It's a super frustrating game, but I never get too upset when I lose because it's just so fun to play that I just pick it back up and try again.

[quote name='Ash Burton']Splatterhouse, the real Splatterhouse.
d13a5633.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I see you're in South Florida (same as me) If you don't mind my asking, where are you playing this? At home or an arcade?

[quote name='Rodimus']I see you're in South Florida (same as me) If you don't mind my asking, where are you playing this? At home or an arcade?[/QUOTE]

Both, I'm playing this in my home arcade ;)

d382468c.jpg

I went to California Extreme over the weekend and played arcades games for 12 hours on Sat and 8 hours on Sun. It was pretty amazing.

Ready to build my own Mame machine now

I haven't done much gaming in awhile but I've trying to get through Robin Hood for the NES right now. It's hard because you get 3 lives to play through an RPG, with no password recovery or anything. And the hit detection of the game is atrocious.

[quote name='Ash Burton']Both, I'm playing this in my home arcade ;)

[/QUOTE]

Will you please move a little further north, say a few miles from lake Erie? :p

[quote name='Ash Burton']Both, I'm playing this in my home arcade ;)[/QUOTE]

Would you mind having a new best friend? :D

You even have a neon of my favorite chill beer.

Argh... my memory sucks. I'm about 1/2 way though the Minish Cap and it is awesome. Really awesome. For some reason I remember this not being so good for a Zelda game. I'm not sure if this is because the last 2 portable Zeldas were horrible or if my standards have dropped. Anyway, I finished 3 dungeons and I'm in the process of collecting the figurines - I'm up to 50 something out of the 136 but it is starting to get tough to get a new one without spending a ton of shells.

Also, Ash - that is a sweet arcade set-up. Where did you get such a minty DKJR? I have a DK that I restored myself and I play it all the time. The candy cab is on my bucket list but they are pretty rare around NYC - the few times I've looked they always seem available in CA.

Been catching up on Saturn stuff. I never really played in when it came out but through the joys of emulation I've finished Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon. Seems like there is a handful of really good games for the Saturn to try.

Been playing X-Men 2: Clone Wars for Genesis. Never did beat this as a kid. Every character is fun to use but it's obvious Wolverine is the best for most levels. Not only can he scale walls like Nightcrawler but his range and power make him top tier.

Magneto is actually the worst to use. I haven't found him very effecive yet.

I've been playing Dragon Quest 3 for the SNES. Very nice remake of one of the best in the series. You definitely have to like old school JRPGS mechanics to enjoy these games though. I think I'm going to finish this up and move on to Earthbound. I made it to the end before but for someone reason never finished it. That was about 10 years ago; time to give it another go.

picked up Super Tecmo Bowl the NES after watching the ESPN documentary on it. Never had it (only the original). Holds up from a fun viewpoint.

I was testing some new hardware the other day, and used Heart of the Alien (Out of This World) as my test game. Played through the first short "sequence" in the game. I was reminded of just how difficult this game really was. This title was produced back when games were all expected to be extremely difficult. It took me at least fifteen attempts just to get to the end of the first sequence.

[quote name='Richard Kain']I was testing some new hardware the other day, and used Heart of the Alien (Out of This World) as my test game. Played through the first short "sequence" in the game. I was reminded of just how difficult this game really was. This title was produced back when games were all expected to be extremely difficult. It took me at least fifteen attempts just to get to the end of the first sequence.[/QUOTE]

What's also awesome/frustrating about that game is everything is deadly all the time. You may do the first sequence 10 times and maybe miss the jump to the vine, but then on the 11th time you get sloppy with the slugs you kick and wham, you're dead!

I'll be settling in to play Snatcher on Sega CD this weekend after picking it up at Half Price Books yesterday for $60 (was $100 before 40% off coupon which is a steal for this game even if it is missing the instruction manual).

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'll be settling in to play Snatcher on Sega CD this weekend after picking it up at Half Price Books yesterday for $60 (was $100 before 40% off coupon which is a steal for this game even if it is missing the instruction manual).[/QUOTE]

Nice find. I really need to check those stores more often.

bread's done
Back