General Old School Gaming Thread - What you playin'

Its pretty good to be honest, then again SEGA made it too so its expected. Its not very hard, no more so then DuckTails, but its damn fun! Actually, I think it has the same characters as DuckTails except your clearly playing Donald but everyone is there. :D

Is Launchpad McQuack in it?

LaunchpadMcQuack.gif

Just went through the Genesis "Shining" games

Shining in the Darkness-First person dungeon crawler/rpg. I actually had to draw out the map myself since there isn't one in game and the entire game takes place in one giant labyrinth/dungeon

Shining Force: Legacy of the Great Intention- Awesome SRPG, kind of in the same mold as the Fire Emblem series. One of my favorite games of all time.

Shining Force 2- Pretty much the same as SF1. Tons of characters to recruit. Much longer game with a good story, though I still tend to like 1 better.

Over the weekend I picked up mega man anniversary collection ps2 I am playing mega man 1 for the first time I have beaten cutman and elecman.

[quote name='bearhawk72']Just went through the Genesis "Shining" games

Shining in the Darkness-First person dungeon crawler/rpg. I actually had to draw out the map myself since there isn't one in game and the entire game takes place in one giant labyrinth/dungeon

Shining Force: Legacy of the Great Intention- Awesome SRPG, kind of in the same mold as the Fire Emblem series. One of my favorite games of all time.

Shining Force 2- Pretty much the same as SF1. Tons of characters to recruit. Much longer game with a good story, though I still tend to like 1 better.[/QUOTE]
If you liked those you'll love Shining Force CD for the Sega CD. Shining Force is my favorite game of all time but I couldn't get into Shining in the Darkness.

[quote name='dafoomie']If you liked those you'll love Shining Force CD for the Sega CD. Shining Force is my favorite game of all time but I couldn't get into Shining in the Darkness.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I played Shining Force CD, but the lack of exploring in towns kind of killed the whole experience.

Still playing Earthbound for my first time. I love that it doesn't baby you. It's not particularly hard but defiantly more difficult than most RPGs I've played. We need another current gen JRPG like this.

[quote name='Rodimus']Still playing Earthbound for my first time. I love that it doesn't baby you. It's not particularly hard but defiantly more difficult than most RPGs I've played. We need another current gen JRPG like this.[/QUOTE]

I still need to sit down and play Earthbound. I keep hoping they'll do a remake or release it on VC.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I still need to sit down and play Earthbound. I keep hoping they'll do a remake or release it on VC.[/QUOTE]

I was also waiting for it to hit the VC but after reading an article about why Nintendo is scared to do so I finally realized there's little to no chance of it happening. If Nintendo decides to do anything with the series I doubt the original creator will be involved. Itoi said he has no plans to revisit the series and he seems to have moved on, away from the game industry. Mother 3 was his swan song. But he's well aware of the cult following it has worldwide, he said if anyone wants to make a Mother 4 then "go for it." People have headed the call and there's a group of fans doing just that. Check it out.

http://mother4.andonuts.net/

Beat The Guardian Legend then blitzed through Shadowgate in about 20 mins. I remember that game annoying the crap out of me until I finally figured it out. Now it's so easy once you know where everything goes.

[quote name='bearhawk72']Just went through the Genesis "Shining" games

Shining Force 2- Pretty much the same as SF1. Tons of characters to recruit. Much longer game with a good story, though I still tend to like 1 better.[/QUOTE]

I am replaying Shining Force 1 currently, just starting Chapter 4. What is yours, or others, strategies when it comes to promoting? Does anyone here do any challenges when playing through it?

[quote name='Rodimus']Still playing Earthbound for my first time. I love that it doesn't baby you. It's not particularly hard but defiantly more difficult than most RPGs I've played. We need another current gen JRPG like this.[/QUOTE]

Awesome man, welcome to the fold. :D

Where you at in the game?

[quote name='bearhawk72']Beat The Guardian Legend then blitzed through Shadowgate in about 20 mins. I remember that game annoying the crap out of me until I finally figured it out. Now it's so easy once you know where everything goes.[/QUOTE]

Shadowgate on the NES was my first point and click adventure game. Also, probably the only used boxed/complete NES game I ever found in a Gamestop a long time ago. I liked Shadowgate so much I picked up the Gameboy color version.

I never got to play legit copies of NES Uninvited and NES Deja Vu or the Gameboy color version that had Deja Vu I & II.

I'm going to look into Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, which is supposedly similar to the point and click games.

I never played a legit version of Earthbound, wish they would at least port it to the DS or Virtual Console.

Old school gaming, I picked up Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP.

[quote name='Yanksfan']I am replaying Shining Force 1 currently, just starting Chapter 4. What is yours, or others, strategies when it comes to promoting? Does anyone here do any challenges when playing through it?

Where you at in the game?[/QUOTE]
MY strategy is usually to just promote every one at 10. The only restriction I have is to not promote too many people at the same time as it can get overly difficult and you may have to grind for a while to get through some battles.

I almost always never get healers to high enough levels to promote, so I hardly use them as the game progresses. I guess that's one of my challenges.

Also once way back, I played the entire game without ever using Max. I know I got all the way to the end without ever using him, but I don't recall if I beat it due to a special circumstance.

Also, one I played the game without getting the first members of your party Tao, Lowe, Hans, and Luke. You can get a NPC's to block one of the guards so they don't block of the exit and go right to the first battle with just Max. Funny thing is if any of them have plot based info, they will still speak eventhough they are not in your party.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm playing Earthbound last night and get to the area where you can obtain Poo's Sword of Kings from fighting the Super Starmen. I got it in 3 or 4 fights, no joke. Is it really that easy or did I just get really lucky?

I've been playing a lot of SNES lately. I played through A link to the Past for the first time in years. It was much shorter than I remember. I didn't find all the heart pieces or the cape though.

I also played through Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2. I don't think I've played the second one since it first came out. I must have been awful at the game back then, as I beat it about 9 hours faster (unless I left it on overnight back then).

Went back to Alien Soldier (Wii VC) for a bit, can go up to Stage 14 now on one life on Superhard. Still much more to do.

Still chipping away at the "1-credit clear" of Mendel Palace (NES).

I've been playing Dreamfall and it is rocking my world. I paid $5 for a pristine used copy but I'm considering spending $15 on the Xbox Originals version just to support the developer and the series.

After finishing Donkey Kong Country 2 last week, I tried playing Donkey Kong Land 2, but I quit after the first few stages. It just seemed dull after just playing DKC2.

I recently got Sin & Punishment Star Successor for Wii, so I decided to replay the original first. It's still a lot of fun, even though I find the controls a bit awkward. Even after finishing, I still wasn't used to the controls.

Trying to beat Gyruss without using the 30 lives code. The stupid boss at Jupiter sucks. I did get to the final level the other day but the solar flares owned me something fierce.

I know it's a bit taboo to talk about but I think my wife is getting me a GP2X Wiz pocket emulator. Anyone have experience with these things? I've seen video and they look pretty cool.

Beat Bucky O' Hare (NES) a few days ago. Solid old school action platformer. I liked it so much I decided to play another Mega Man-esque clone, Darkwing Duck. Maybe Next I'll tackle Swat Kats.

[quote name='bsesb2003']I picked up a Vectrex -- now that's old school![/QUOTE]

May I just say- you lucky fucking bastard.

I want a Vectrex so much... they used to bring one a con I go to, but they stopped a few years ago. I miss that thing. :cry:

Playing me some Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. God, this game brings back memories....I remember being 2 or 3 years old and watching my dad play this....

Good times.... :)

[quote name='DuelLadyS']May I just say- you lucky fucking bastard.

I want a Vectrex so much... they used to bring one a con I go to, but they stopped a few years ago. I miss that thing. :cry:[/QUOTE]

You can pick one up for less than $100 on eBay - not saying that's cheap for something that is very old electronics.

I'm playing every Final Fantasy game again in order excluding the spinoffs. Not sure what to do about FF3, I own it but I don't have a DS.

FF1 is such a grind, I had more fun with Phantasy Star.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm playing every Final Fantasy game again in order excluding the spinoffs. Not sure what to do about FF3, I own it but I don't have a DS.

FF1 is such a grind, I had more fun with Phantasy Star.[/QUOTE]

There's a translated NES rom of FF3 out there somewhere.

I could never get into FF1. I played to a certain point reaching a new town, seeing the prices for all the new spells and saying, "fuck that I quit."

I did a little grinding with Sweet Home. Battles are cake now.

I couldnt beat Batman :cry:

the final stage is a pain in the azz due to randomness... I played it to the point where I know it like the back of my hand, but at the end when you're climbing up the stage, u can lose a lot of HP if u get hit just once becoz getting hit causes you to stall leaving you unable to wall jump or move for a few frames...

then the final boss, Joker, has a mean attack that kills 3 whole segments of your health bar in 1 hit... and if u game over on him u gotta start the whole stage over again and but up with its BS again!!

the other thing I dont like about the game is how stiff it is... I like old games for the tightness of them, but in this game whenever u jump Batman does a crouching animation before jumping causing a few frames of delay that a game like Megaman wouldnt have

so yeay the game is alright but the final stage really amplifies all the game's flaws and Im sure there are other games that does better what this game does good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evmmea4zSdc

and my hands hurt too o_O

[quote name='Batman']I know you murdered my parents. Now you will dance with the devil in the pale moonlight[/QUOTE]

Awesome.

In anticipation of Pier Solar, I hooked up my Sega Genesis/CD this weekend. I wound up playing through Out of This World and Heart of the Alien. Now I'm giving Flashback a try.

I bought sum sheeyit yesterday!!

2ezoh2v.jpg

I wanna get into playing thru Goonies II next!!

but Ghost Trick is coming out tomrrow...

Well, I'm working on Lunar Silver Star Story Complete on Playstation. It's ok. I wish I liked the characters more. I'm at the one spiral area where only magic work on enemies (it's a 5 level building where levels 2-4 enemies require magic attacks to beat them). Damon Tower I believe it's called.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm playing every Final Fantasy game again in order excluding the spinoffs.[/QUOTE]
I'm currently replaying Final Fantasy II on Virtual Console, and Final Fantasy X-2 on PS2, which I've been playing on and off for years but have never finished. In retrospect, X-2 is really a lot like XIII, but if anything the battle system is even more hectic.

[quote name='JEKKI']I bought sum sheeyit yesterday!!

2ezoh2v.jpg

I wanna get into playing thru Goonies II next!!

but Ghost Trick is coming out tomrrow...[/QUOTE]

Goonies II is the shizzle. I am addicted to the following right now (all arcade):

- Jumping Jack
- Mr. Do!'s Wild Ride
- Rally X (remix)
- Pac & Pal

With the announcement of the up coming Castlevania HD DLC I'm looking into Getsu Fuuma Den on the Famicom.

I've been really into Sonic games the past couple weeks. I played through Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles, CD, and Spinball. I tried playing Sonic 3D blast too, but couldn't get into it.

Next up, Knuckles Chaotix.

Old school in a new setting but I've been playing Radiant Silvergun on XBLA lately. I wish Score Attack in Story Mode saved your levels. I realize the scoring would be weird at first, but once everyone was all the way levelled up (level 30? I can't remember the max), it would even out and be a fair reflection.

Once Chrono Trigger and FF VI hit PSN I'll probably start one of them. Leaning towards FF VI seeing as how I like it a tiny bit more that CT.

bread's done
Back