General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Rodimus']I didn't run into any game ending bugs With Mass Effect but I still saved like every 15 minutes. I loved that game. In fact a few days ago I went back and completed all the optional missions including the "Bring Down the Sky" DLC mission.[/quote]

Your lucky, I got stuck on a elevator and the damn door wouldn't open. I was at level 47 and had to start all over.:bomb:

Side quest mission and exploring the planets was boring as hell too.

Grinding is only fun when you DON'T have to do it.

Playing FF3 DS, you have to grind to advance. Lame.
Disgaea: Grinding to advance the story sucked. Grinding in the postgame wasn't so bad.

FF4, FF6: Don't recall any grinding. Maybe in FF4 if you wanted to hunt pink tails or something but it was kinda lame. FF6, seriously, how many of those spells do you really need? But you could do it if you want, therefore, it's fun.

I started playing Dragon Quest 4, it's fun but there's one part where I felt the game force you to grind.

It's when you need to deliver the weapons and armor to the castle, you need to grind not for experience but for money and weapons... either you can win the weapons requested or you can get other weapons which you can sell thru your store to make the necessary cash to afford the requested shyt from the next town.

anyway, during that part I was playing DS with my left hand and focusing on internet browsing with my right so it was all good.

I never had any problems with level grinding in Disgaea or NIS games. In a regular play through, I can beat most stages with little or no level grinding. And once you understand the formulas, you can get way more xp then any other rpg within a short time span.

If you want to talk about bad level grinding, you should be talking about Spectral Force 3. You literally have to level grind to advance the story. Your force to play many random battles or quests to make a story mission to appear. It doesn't help that there is no meter to indicated how much is need to unlock these story mission. To make this worse, most of battles are long, dull and boring. Your army is always outnumber 4 to 1 and as result it contributes to long battles. And once these story missions do appear, your force to play them. So, there's possibility you can screw yourself if can't beat those story mission.

I've never minded grinding all that much. I love Pokemon, and that game is basically nothing BUT grinding. Same with FFT, and a lot of JRPGs. As long as the grinding process isn't dumped on you, and made mandatory, then I can kinda deal with it. Like, if I'm heading into a new area that I have to go through in order to progress the game, and the enemies are like, 10+ levels ahead of me, then yeah, fuck that game.

niiiiiice! I'm lookin for stuff to listen to and found retronauts podcast

so I'm listening to the episode where they talk about psx,

they talked about how psx was like an RPG machine...

and they all agreed on how crappy Legend of Dragoon was!!

thank you!! Legend of Dragoon was sum of the worst shyt I ever played thru... how can ppl like that game?!?!?!

I dont even understand like how on gaf ppl ask :what psx games do u wanna see on PSN?" and ppl actually respond LoD!!

-_-

[quote name='JEKKI']niiiiiice! I'm lookin for stuff to listen to and found retronauts podcast

so I'm listening to the episode where they talk about psx,

they talked about how psx was like an RPG machine...

and they all agreed on how crappy Legend of Dragoon was!!

thank you!! Legend of Dragoon was sum of the worst shyt I ever played thru... how can ppl like that game?!?!?!

I dont even understand like how on gaf ppl ask :what psx games do u wanna see on PSN?" and ppl actually respond LoD!!

-_-[/quote]

LoD is awful, it makes FF VII look like a PS3 game.

[quote name='blueweltall']Your lucky, I got stuck on a elevator and the damn door wouldn't open. I was at level 47 and had to start all over.:bomb:

Side quest mission and exploring the planets was boring as hell too.[/quote]

Wow, that sucks. You mean you had to start the game over from the beginning or just re-load a previous save point?

The mineral collecting was pain. And the payout wasn't even worth the effort. But I liked the side quests that had some action and story. The side mission where you board a ship and everyone is dead cause some lady went crazy and killed everyone was cool & a little spooky. I was expecting to see more DLC by now. Any word on some more?

[quote name='Jest']If you can't decide or find a turnbased game you really want try Crisis Core.[/quote]

Should've told you I already finished Crisis Core and loved it.

As for grinding, I actually like it when I can just play for a few minutes. I'll pop the game, level up my party and save it.

Disgaea does grinding really well with the Item Dungeons. Not only do your guys get more powerful but the weapons do also. It's a win - win.

FFT did an excellent job of rewarding you though. The more battles you took, the more skills you could buy. Not only that you could pick whatever skill you wanted. Most other FF's don't give you that option.

Last night I was thinking how I consider myself an FF fan, but I've only ever clicked with 3 out of 8 FF games I've completed. Those are pretty lousy odds. Anyone else in the same boat?

Grinding in Pokemon is a pain in the ass. I've managed to love the series in spite of that.

I've had Legend of Dragoon for some time now and its still in the shrinkwrap. I've heard mixed reviews from friends, but I've really never had the time to play it.

I've beaten all the Final Fantasies except for XII (well, and XI too, but that's not a real Final Fantasy game). I don't really like the class-changing ones like 3 and 5, and 2 was a pain in the ass. I loved FF 1, 4, and 6, and the PS1-era ones. I know a bunch of people loved FFX, and it was okay, but I still don't like it as much as some of the others.

To be honest, I'm not all that optimistic about XIII being all that great. I'm sure it will LOOK great, but as far as everything else, I'm just not expecting to be blown away or anything. I really hope I'm wrong and its the best FF game ever, but the way its looking, I doubt it. I am expecting a kick-ass soundtrack tho, since Hamauzu is working on it.

I am playing Fallout 3 and Fable 2 in the RPG area, I really love both of them. Even though F3 can have me very frustrated at times..

[quote name='kainzero']Grinding is only fun when you DON'T have to do it.

Playing FF3 DS, you have to grind to advance. Lame.
Disgaea: Grinding to advance the story sucked. Grinding in the postgame wasn't so bad.

FF4, FF6: Don't recall any grinding. Maybe in FF4 if you wanted to hunt pink tails or something but it was kinda lame. FF6, seriously, how many of those spells do you really need? But you could do it if you want, therefore, it's fun.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point actually. Depending on the version (and therefore the difficulty) of FFIV very little grinding was needed unless it was before a tough boss. FFVI didn't need it but I always enjoyed it. I chalked it up to the variety of characters and I just did the spells for fun.

But yes, grinding in FFIII is a pain. Especially if you want (or NEED) to change jobs for a particular part you have to go through the job transition and then grind up. It's all but stopped the story pacing.

I think I enjoyed grinding in Tactical RPG's more. I know I put massive hours into both FFT and FFTA. And compulsively leveled ALL the Shining Force characters. I think that's because the battles had more possibilities. Characters, movement, spells and attacks. Playing a static 4 characters in FF III against the same enemy classes is boring me.

What say the rest of you? Which type is best for grinding? Strategy, Action or Turn-based?

[quote name='JEKKI']niiiiiice! I'm lookin for stuff to listen to and found retronauts podcast[/QUOTE]
Retronauts is the shit. Jeremy Parish loses points for his virulent hatred of FFVII, though ;)

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']What say the rest of you? Which type is best for grinding? Strategy, Action or Turn-based?[/QUOTE]
Probably strategy RPGs, but as long as the combat's entertaining, I don't mind grinding in any type of RPG.

I'm really not liking the "no revival til late in the game" of DQ right now.
Marquis de Leon
fucked me up because of a couple lucky hits on Kyril.

Bumping an old thread. I just finished Chapter 3 on Eternal Sonata and it's kind of dragging. The cutscenes are good but they drag on about five minutes too long.

You know I've been playing some 10 dollar Conan (ps3) and it says PSN compatible; I've been in every menu, everywhere, does conan have some secret online anything? cause I haven't found it.

SMT Digital Devil Saga and SMT Nocturne are also getting reprints. $28.95 on estarland.com. Release date for them and Makai Kingdom is Nov. 25.

I loved Persona 3's music. It complemented the game so well. I'm a little worried about P4, since Shoji Meguro isn't doing all the music like he did in P3. He's still doing a large part of it tho, at least. What I have heard of the P4 OST sounds like its a little harder. I will miss Yumi Kawamura's insert songs too. Does anyone know what music we'll be getting on the pack-in soundtrack?

Otherwise, I cannot wait for P4. Besides the story, I think the biggest gameplay addition I'm looking forward to is having full control over all the characters in battle instead of letting the AI handle it. Often in P3, they would do some pretty stupid stuff, pissing me off and getting someone killed. Usually me.

I started playing Chrono Trigger the other day, and I am absolutely loving it. It is probably the best RPG I have played in a LOOOOOOOONNNGGGGG time.

[quote name='pete5883']I dunno, I'm afraid having full control is going to make the game take even longer than it did before.[/quote]
I seem to recall hearing that you can still let the AI control your team if you want.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I seem to recall hearing that you can still let the AI control your team if you want.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but if I turn on the AI I'm sure every 10 hours or so someone will do something stupid that will make me regret turning it on.

That review definitely has me more interested in Devil Summoner 2... that first game was pretty damn mediocre.

Though, I still mostly want it for the bonus copy of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne... whatever stupid subtitle it was. The one that has Raidou thrown in.

[quote name='darthbudge']I started playing Chrono Trigger the other day, and I am absolutely loving it. It is probably the best RPG I have played in a LOOOOOOOONNNGGGGG time.[/quote]

I am playing the recently released DS version. I think it is the best RPG I have played since... well... the last time I have played Chrono Trigger.

[quote name='JEKKI']I heard Raidou / Devil Summoner on PS2 sucked,

but now part 2 is out in japan and sum1 on gaf reviewed it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343684

I want it!![/quote]

That does seem interesting. I never played Devil Summoner, but I've heard the consensus on it is that it sucked. What was so bad about it?

I will be glad when the SMT devs at Atlus start developing for this gen, tho.

Preordered Persona 4 early last week (really wanted the artbook) and picked up a cheap used black label Dark Cloud on Black Friday. More for the backlog @_@

[quote name='Moxio']I'll never understand the overwhelming praise for Chrono Trigger. CT is a great game, but hardly the best RPG out there.[/QUOTE]
Blasphemy! It's not my personal favorite, but I do consider it one of the all time RPG greats, if not THE greatest.

[quote name='Moxio']I'll never understand the overwhelming praise for Chrono Trigger. CT is a great game, but hardly the best RPG out there.[/QUOTE]
What RPGs do you think are better? I don't think CT is necessarily THE best, but it's definitely up there.

[quote name='Krymner']That does seem interesting. I never played Devil Summoner, but I've heard the consensus on it is that it sucked. What was so bad about it?

I will be glad when the SMT devs at Atlus start developing for this gen, tho.[/QUOTE]

A lotta shit.

1) The story was totally lame. It had Rasputin in it, and he was the dirtiest of Russians, but he didn't save the plot.

2) The battle system is boring. This game uses real time battles sorta like Yakuza's... if Kazuma's attacks looked like they did no damage and you had to hit people like 50 fucking times to kill them. And if you didn't have any of those cool special techniques. Just poke at them with your sword till they die. You can summon a demon to help you fight, but it's still boring.

3) Stupid puzzle solving. STUPID. A lotta times, you'll be presented with an archaic puzzle or something like "this needs to be burned for you to get through." This means you gotta summon the appropriate demon to get rid of the obstacle. If you don't have it well... better go find it. Completely asinine.

4) You are never safe. Dungeons? Battle. Seemingly safe areas? Battles. The town where you buy stuff and heal yourself? Battles. They never fucking end. And a lotta times, you'll be facing like... the zombies that give you 2 exp, so what's the point?

They fucked up.

[quote name='Chacrana']A lotta shit.

They fucked up.[/quote]

Sounds like it. I think thats one I'll skip then.

I did sign up for the SMT MMO beta the other day, tho. Kinda interested in seeing how that's gonna suck work.

[quote name='blueshinra']Preordered Persona 4 early last week (really wanted the artbook) and picked up a cheap used black label Dark Cloud on Black Friday. More for the backlog @_@[/quote]

Just 2 more weeks till P4. :whee: I'm really looking forward to it. I've had mine preordered since August.

[quote name='pete5883']What RPGs do you think are better? I don't think CT is necessarily THE best, but it's definitely up there.[/QUOTE]

FF IV, VII, IX, BoFIII, IV, Tales of Symphonia, Persona 3, Star Ocean, Star Ocean 2, Xenogears...

I'm sure there are more, but probably escape me right now.

whooo! I got Fallout 3 yesterday! I heard that game is the shyt!!

unfortunately... no time to play...

Persona 4 come out hella soon and it got a pretty dang good score in 1up

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171567&p=2

so now the pressure is on to beat Valkyria Chronicles b4 I get that game...

and then once all that is done... I recently got my hands on

4sl1f8.jpg

broken cases FTW!

RPG heaven! all I need is Arc Rise Fantasia

Nice haul JEKKI!

I just got Fallout 3 also!

But Valkyria Chronicles comes first, yah. I haven't had much time to play it the last few days, but I'm gonna sink some time into it today and tomorrow and make as much progress as possible. I hope the DLC thats coming out for the game early next year isn't too expensive. I probably won't buy the "extra hard mode" but the one where you control the empire soldiers sounds like it would be cool. I really hope there's a sequel someday.

Persona 4 comes out the day before my math exam >.< Save me JEKKI with your uber JEKKISTYLE .

Im going to be playing P4 first, then Valkyria after since I'm getting it for Exmas.

I also have The Witcher which I haven't even opened and Chrono Trigger. Why do RPGs always build up at the same time?

I was hoping I would have finished Valkyria Chronicles before getting P4. But it looks like that isn't going to happen.

What's the maximum number of cats you can get in Chrono Trigger. I'm refering to the little mini game in the fair where at first he gives you a cat then cat food after that. Also, how does the cat food work?

Two quick questions.

1. What is new in CT for the DS? Pretty sure I read something about a new dungeon and possibly new endings? I am just debating if its worth it to keep replaying it......I love this game to death and have beat it a million times but first off my back log is getting huge and second off the Tiny little DS screen just doesnt do this games lush graphics justice. If the new content isn't worth it it just makes so much more sense to break out my old CT and play it on the TV.

2. Is Suikoden IV even worth playing? I started it as a work out game(I ride on an exercise bike while playing a non action based game for an hour and a half a day)and between the meh reviews and word of mouth on this game and this horrid sailing I am not sure if its worth it or I should skip right to Suikoden V which I have seen people say is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back