General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Things in Chrono Trigger DS:

- Two new dungeons that unlock near the end after you get the upgraded flying Epoch. These areas include new items & monsters.
- New Final Boss
- One new ending supposivly better in linking Chrono Trigger to Chrono Cross.
- Arena mode where you raise a monster and use it in multiplayer battles (although I hear this mode sucks.)
- A more accurate translation from the orginal Japanese script (Frog no longer has his acccent, "Lighting" element is changed to "Light")
- An "Extras" menu much like the PSX version...... so not really "new"

I'm loving it. Like you I've beatin this game a million times. It plays nice on the DS. They moved all the battle cluter to the bottom screen (which also acts as an optional tuch screen) I really haven't gotten into the new stuff yet so I can't comment on that yet, I plan on doing all that once I get near the end.

^ I got two open right now. I'm confused about the new dungeons. I heard there were two. Are there three?

Nevermind - One of the dungeons "Lost Sanctum" is found in two seperate eras. I haven't entered them yet so I asumed they were diffrent. I guess the Dimensional Vortex doesn't open till you beat it.

[quote name='Rodimus']New Things in Chrono Trigger DS:

- Two new dungeons that unlock near the end after you get the upgraded flying Epoch. These areas include new items & monsters.
- One new ending supposivly better in linking Chrono Trigger to Chrono Cross.
- Arena mode where you raise a monster and use it in multiplayer battles (although I hear this mode sucks.)
- A more accurate translation from the orginal Japanese script (Frog no longer has his acccent, "Lighting" element is changed to "Light")
- An "Extras" menu much like the PSX version...... so not really "new"

I'm loving it. Like you I've beatin this game a million times. It plays nice on the DS. They moved all the battle cluter to the bottom screen (which also acts as an optional tuch screen) I really haven't gotten into the new stuff yet so I can't comment on that yet, I plan on doing all that once I get near the end.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, would love to hear more opinions from everyone as you reach the extra content. As I said I just have so much to play(castlevania, away shuffle dungeon, DQIV...and that snot even getting into console stuff)that I am questioning playing this when the graphics just dont look nearly as good on that tiny screen.

Actually I think the graphics look better on a tiny screen. Now when you blow it up, that's when they start looking shitty. Personally anything 16-bit looks awful on a screen bigger than 32'.

[quote name='Rodimus']Actually I think the graphics look better on a tiny screen. Now when you blow it up, that's when they start looking shitty. Personally anything 16-bit looks awful on a screen bigger than 32'.[/QUOTE]

Bigger then 32 inches is the key word there. Personally I think you cant even see the rich colors on the DS and everything is squinted together.

Have to say I am very happy I started Suikoden V. I am not even into the main quest of the game(just got to the big plot twist where the Prince gains some freedom)and I am thoroughly enjoying this game and understanding why people have called Suikoden V a revival for the series.

Glad you enjoy Suikoden V. You got over the hump now it's only gonna get better.

I'm playing Chrono Trigger's new extra dungeon "Lost Sactum" and I must say it sucks. it's a two hour long fetch quest which has you back tracking way to much through the same 10 screens. I was really looking forward to it but it's been nothing but a disapointment. I hope the Dimensional Vortex is better.

[quote name='Rodimus']Glad you enjoy Suikoden V. You got over the hump now it's only gonna get better.

I'm playing Chrono Trigger's new extra dungeon "Lost Sactum" and I must say it sucks. it's a two hour long fetch quest which has you back tracking way to much through the same 10 screens. I was really looking forward to it but it's been nothing but a disapointment. I hope the Dimensional Vortex is better.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if I am glad or sad that the CT extra dungeon sucks or not. I have been really tempted to play it because of the extra content but I have so much else to play and as I said in the other topic I really do think the game doesnt look that great on the tiny DS screen.

I really dont get why so many people see Suikoden V as having a hump in the first few hours. Ya 90% of it was story and not gameplay and you spend a little too much time running around town finding crap but over all its highly enjoyable.

Dammit, I'm stuck in P3, and now P4 comes out? fuck. And I still haven't beaten Tales of the Abyss yet, even though I've been putting that game off for months.
And then I've got Mother 3 to deal with, although it feels like I'm underleveled ALL the time in that damn game.

http://www.rpgamer.com/features/2008/nisainterview.html

X-Edge just seems to have NIS America all over it. It features characters from Disgaea, Mana Khemia, Ar tonelico, Spectral Souls, and the Atelier series. I mean, come on, there are even Prinnies. When should we expect to see it in North America?

NISA: X-Edge is an interesting project since it's a collaboration between 3 different companies. It's pretty funny to see a little Prinny fight characters from Darkstalkers like Morrigan and Demitri.

The release date isn't finalized yet, but it's going to be in March 09.

just hit the 40 hour mark in FF12 and loving it. I am on the way to faywood right now in it. Should be the last 1/4 of the game or so. The game isnt anything like FF7/FF10 tho. Theres hardly any ZOMG moments, FF7/10 were chock full of them. But the story is amazing, great cast of characters, wonderful voice acting, gambit system rocks, etc. Its just such a well made game.

[quote name='blitz6speed']just hit the 40 hour mark in FF12 and loving it. I am on the way to faywood right now in it. Should be the last 1/4 of the game or so. The game isnt anything like FF7/FF10 tho. Theres hardly any ZOMG moments, FF7/10 were chock full of them. But the story is amazing, great cast of characters, wonderful voice acting, gambit system rocks, etc. Its just such a well made game.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the worst made FF since VIII. The story was paced horribly going nowhere till later in the game. The characters received no character development and while the gambit system wasnt bad it lacked the depth of the junction, sphere grid, materia and equipment systems of the last few games. XII honestly didnt supras the last 4 FF games in any single way or form.

I still haven't gotten around to playing FF XII yet. After I'm done with Persona 4, I'm gonna finish up the Xenosaga series with III, and then maybe I'll play either FF XII, DQ VIII, or half a dozen other PS2 RPGs that remain in my backlog.

Damn, I hate being late to the party on all the PS2 RPGs. Luckily, there haven't been too many great ones this gen yet, so at least I'm not getting too far behind on the new releases.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I thought it was the worst made FF since VIII. The story was paced horribly going nowhere till later in the game. The characters received no character development and while the gambit system wasnt bad it lacked the depth of the junction, sphere grid, materia and equipment systems of the last few games. XII honestly didnt supras the last 4 FF games in any single way or form.[/QUOTE]

I got to CD 2 on FF8 before i quit playing it when it came out on the PSX. I really hated it. I want to give it another shot tho. I thought the story pace was fine in FF12, things progress not too fast but in no means slowly. And i like the characters more because i dont know their entire life stories from beginning to end. I know just enough to care about them.

I loved the materia system, but that style of play would never work on a open world rpg like FF12. The gambit system works great for the style of game this is. I got about halfway through before i even touched the gambit system to be honest, and since discovering how useful it is, ive become a huge fan. Obviously this would never work on a game like FF7 or FF10, but thats what makes it unique for me i guess. I look forward to finishing it, i am just a bit fatigued since i played it for almost 7 or so hours strait.

[quote name='Krymner']I still haven't gotten around to playing FF XII yet. After I'm done with Persona 4, I'm gonna finish up the Xenosaga series with III, and then maybe I'll play either FF XII, DQ VIII, or half a dozen other PS2 RPGs that remain in my backlog.

Damn, I hate being late to the party on all the PS2 RPGs. Luckily, there haven't been too many great ones this gen yet, so at least I'm not getting too far behind on the new releases.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, this gen is really weird. Some great games, but the MUST PLAY titles are really few and far between. Also, the RPG selection is pretty awful. I had an absolute blast with blue dragon, but a lot of people didnt seem to like it. It plays a lot like DQ8 on PS2 did, cept much faster paced and didnt beat you senseless with endless random battles. The worst RPG ive played so far has to be infinite undiscovery, although im very early into it, i put it back in the backlog because i wanted to spend more time playing better games (recently finished Bioshock, GH Aerosmith, MK v DC, etc). Dragon Quest 8 is absolutely fabulous btw, you will love it.

[quote name='blitz6speed']I got to CD 2 on FF8 before i quit playing it when it came out on the PSX. I really hated it. I want to give it another shot tho. I thought the story pace was fine in FF12, things progress not too fast but in no means slowly. And i like the characters more because i dont know their entire life stories from beginning to end. I know just enough to care about them.
[/QUOTE]

Ah so you like more shallow games then. Not trying to be insulting just saying that but liking charcters without much background/depth and combat without as many options which is what FFXII and DQVIII both are. Guess to each his own. To me I couldnt stand either game because the story of both games were slow paced jokes and the characters far too shallow.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ah so you like more shallow games then. Not trying to be insulting just saying that but liking charcters without much background/depth and combat without as many options which is what FFXII and DQVIII both are. Guess to each his own. To me I couldnt stand either game because the story of both games were slow paced jokes and the characters far too shallow.[/QUOTE]

I like a deep story line as much as the next guy, but it doesnt need to exist for me to enjoy a game. My PS2 backlog is nearly finished anyhow, ill soon be starting on the 360 rpgs.

seriously... I cant believe u guys overlooked this...

A little birdie told us that someone was finally getting brave enough to localize a game in the Sakura Wars series, mainly the fifth game in the main series for the PS2. Would that be NIS America, and what can you tell us about the game?
NISA: Haha, your birdie knows too much. Let's just say the game is in the works by an undisclosed company. I've heard somewhere that the game should come out in '09.

Would have prefer the original Sakura Taisen remake for PS2 but that game is almost 5 years old now. Maybe they can release Sakura Taisen 1+2 on PSP later on.

[quote name='JEKKI']seriously... I cant believe u guys overlooked this...[/QUOTE]

That would be awesome, but I don't believe it.

I want to, though. Always wanted to try one of those games.

Well I definitely hope you're right. It'll be pretty crazy if we're still getting some great RPGs on the PS2 through 2009.

I wonder how much better the new SMT: Devil Summoner is... I've heard it's much better and the trailer did make it look kinda okay, but I dunno... seeing Raidou Kuzonoha back in action makes me weary. Because the last game was sooo boring...

I was never too interested in the Sakura Taisen stuff because I knew it would never come out here, but now!

Now I'm interested....sorta

I just hope the game is as good as I'm lead to believe it is. This will b the first NIS game I'll have enjoyed if that's the case.

[quote name='Chacrana']Well I definitely hope you're right. It'll be pretty crazy if we're still getting some great RPGs on the PS2 through 2009.

I wonder how much better the new SMT: Devil Summoner is... I've heard it's much better and the trailer did make it look kinda okay, but I dunno... seeing Raidou Kuzonoha back in action makes me weary. Because the last game was sooo boring...[/QUOTE]

If they throw in the new version of Nocturne it doenst matter if the main game is crap

[quote name='62t']If they throw in the new version of Nocturne it doenst matter if the main game is crap[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought until I found out that all the new version did was replace Dante with Raidou. The new cinematics are up on Youtube and they look so shitty. Nowhere near as badass as with Dante.

Almost done with Eternal Sonata. I liked it. The battle system was pretty good and the graphics are jaw dropping gorgeous. I wish the party was a little smaller at the end but very enjoyable throughout.

[quote name='depascal22']Almost done with Eternal Sonata. I liked it. The battle system was pretty good and the graphics are jaw dropping gorgeous. I wish the party was a little smaller at the end but very enjoyable throughout.[/quote]

I got halfway through this, stopped playing the got rid of it. But now I want to finish playing it. That's why I want it from you. ;)

I finished DQ Heroes: Rocket Slime recently. I have never played a DQ game before and I thought it was pure fun. I loved all the puns and jokes.

I often trash on Square Enix for being rehashing and milking their franchises, but man this game indicates to me that SE's still got it. It reminds me of charming platformers on the Playstation like Brave Fencer Musashi and Threads of Fate that were lighthearted, fun and made without the hint of the desire to be exploited as a future cash cow. Which of course, is ironic considering it is a spinoff.

So when we gonna hear something about an HD SMT game?

Will it be PS3 exclusive or will it go multi?

I still need to play Nocturne and DDS someday. :cry:

Arggg stupid 360s red ringing on me. I was really enjoying ToV but my 360 RRoD on me a few weeks ago. Now after getting my console back like 3 weeks later I cant recall WTF I was doign in the game. I checked the summary, flew around the world map and visited a few random towns....even looked around in a few FAQs.....but I am completely and utterly lost on where I was in the game. Guess its time to play DDS or Persona 4.

[quote name='Krymner']So when we gonna hear something about an HD SMT game?

Will it be PS3 exclusive or will it go multi?[/QUOTE]
You know, I've been thinking that SMT is probably going to go to Wii, PSP, or DS after P4. The fact that they just released another PS2 game indicates that they like developing on the cheap, so I don't see why that would change. Plus, they just announced Devil Survivor or whatever on the DS.

[quote name='pete5883']You know, I've been thinking that SMT is probably going to go to Wii, PSP, or DS after P4. The fact that they just released another PS2 game indicates that they like developing on the cheap, so I don't see why that would change. Plus, they just announced Devil Survivor or whatever on the DS.[/QUOTE]

I think it would be hella cool and not that suprising if they kept the next game on the PS2. I mean seriously its cheap to develop for and Persona 4 shows that the fan base is happy staying on the PS2.

I just hope its not DS/PSP.

REAAAAAAAAAAAALY hope its not the DS.

Shitty Sound, Shitty Graphics.
Ugh.

PS2 please. I have no problem with ps3.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']I just hope its not DS/PSP.

REAAAAAAAAAAAALY hope its not the DS.

Shitty Sound, Shitty Graphics.
Ugh.

PS2 please. I have no problem with ps3.[/QUOTE]

The DS doesnt have shitty sound and graphics there just arnt enough developers taking advantage of the hardware. I would rather see the next game hit the DS and have solid all around graphics/sound and keep focusing on gameplay then move to the PS3 and cost twice as much or more to purchase just to have better graphics.

[quote name='MSI Magus']The DS doesnt have shitty sound and graphics there just arnt enough developers taking advantage of the hardware. I would rather see the next game hit the DS and have solid all around graphics/sound and keep focusing on gameplay then move to the PS3 and cost twice as much or more to purchase just to have better graphics.[/QUOTE]

You can't really do CD-quality audio at all, so if you have a fully orchestrated soundtrack, it'll sound like garbage on the DS. That's a problem, especially when you consider that Shoji Meguro likes his rock music, and it'll sound like the most tinny wailing you've ever heard. I can deal with the graphics, but they sure were ugly in FFIV...

I mean, yeah, it's obviously important that the gameplay is good, but the audio and visual stuff is a really important part of the experience for an RPG and I feel like the DS just isn't anywhere near good enough.

Edit: I would be just fine with it staying on the PS2. There's really nothing wrong with it - the visuals are still creative and don't look bad at all, and the sound quality is obviously there.

[quote name='Chacrana']You can't really do CD-quality audio at all, so if you have a fully orchestrated soundtrack, it'll sound like garbage on the DS. That's a problem, especially when you consider that Shoji Meguro likes his rock music, and it'll sound like the most tinny wailing you've ever heard. I can deal with the graphics, but they sure were ugly in FFIV...

I mean, yeah, it's obviously important that the gameplay is good, but the audio and visual is a really important part of the experience for an RPG and I feel like the DS just isn't anywhere near good enough.[/QUOTE]

Funny since I am fairly certain that I saw you naming RPGs as the genre you are loosing interest in. If not regardless I saw many people in that topic saying this was so. So let me get this straight.....we must have the series stay on the PS2/PS3/360 because it needs the graphical and audio power......yet everyone preferred the SNES/PSX RPGs. Makes perfect sense to me!

Seriously, people at this site are losing track of what games are and what it means to be a gamer. Everyone whines that the old days were so great.....yet everyone whines about DS graphics and sound.....it makes no God damn sense. The DS could pull off more then appropriate sound/graphical capabilty. Would it look like Persona 3 and 4 or sound like them? No. Should that matter? No.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Funny since I am fairly certain that I saw you naming RPGs as the genre you are loosing interest in. If not regardless I saw many people in that topic saying this was so. So let me get this straight.....we must have the series stay on the PS2/PS3/360 because it needs the graphical and audio power......yet everyone preferred the SNES/PSX RPGs. Makes perfect sense to me!

Seriously, people at this site are losing track of what games are and what it means to be a gamer. Everyone whines that the old days were so great.....yet everyone whines about DS graphics and sound.....it makes no God damn sense. The DS could pull off more then appropriate sound/graphical capabilty. Would it look like Persona 3 and 4 or sound like them? No. Should that matter? No.[/QUOTE]

See, here's the thing: Almost all DS and PSP RPGs suck. And almost all PS3/360/Wii RPGs suck. The genre is just garbage by this point, because Square/Enix/Namco/Tri-Ace/Atlus usually have their heads up their asses; not because we all of a sudden have pretty graphics. The major devs. have all but completely lost their talent in creating a game. Putting an RPG on the DS or PSP doesn't necessarily mean it'll be better than what comes out on a competent system - it'll just mean you have to play it on the DS' tiny-ass screens with shitty graphics and audio. That's it. Persona 4 is one of the rare exceptions where a new RPG isn't trash, and it would be a good game if it were on the DS. But because the PS2 is more capable, it's a better game on that system.

[quote name='Chacrana']See, here's the thing: Almost all DS and PSP RPGs suck. And almost all PS3/360/Wii RPGs suck. The genre is just garbage by this point, because Square/Enix/Namco/Tri-Ace/Atlus usually have their heads up their asses; not because we all of a sudden have pretty graphics. The major devs. have all but completely lost their talent in creating a game. Putting an RPG on the DS or PSP doesn't necessarily mean it'll be better than what comes out on a competent system - it'll just mean you have to play it on the DS' tiny-ass screens with shitty graphics and audio. That's it. Persona 4 is one of the rare exceptions where a new RPG isn't trash, and it would be a good game if it were on the DS. But because the PS2 is more capable, it's a better game on that system.[/QUOTE]

You realize you made no point there right? You yak on about how newer games are trash so stuff on the DS is trash not because of graphics or other hardware limitations but because of the developers.....then state that Atlus is an exception and they shouldnt do the DS because of hardware limitations.

I agree that Persona should stay on the PS2. It has a huge audience there, cheap development and the anime style wont beneift nearly enough from going to HD gaming to justify the cost. However that is not the subject at hand. The subject was could they do a quality game on the DS and if they arnt going to stay on the PS2 where do they go. Thus the argument of P5 going to the DS.......

[quote name='MSI Magus']The DS doesnt have shitty sound and graphics there just arnt enough developers taking advantage of the hardware. I would rather see the next game hit the DS and have solid all around graphics/sound and keep focusing on gameplay then move to the PS3 and cost twice as much or more to purchase just to have better graphics.[/quote]

I never said I wanted it to move to ps3/360. It would be nice but Atlus cant afford it for at least another couple of years.

The DS does have shitty tinny sound, and it does have shitty graphics that look like an N64.

Play a DS with Quality Headphones and you will see how awful it is.

I don't see how there was no point there.

Let's break it down:

- Most new RPGs are bad.
- Deductive reasoning tells us that some new RPGs are good.
- The DS has worse hardware than consoles.
- The PS2 has better hardware than the DS, as it is a console.
- It would be nice to get one of those good RPGs on the PS2, because that good RPG would have better graphics and sound.
- Bad RPGs suck regardless of which system they're on.
- DS sucks.

If they had to move to a next gen system, I'd want the games on PS3, then Wii, then 360. Because I hate the 360. But I also kinda hate the Wii.

sigh Ill say this then drop it because there wont be any getting through to you guys. I guess I am just a dying breed. I am a gamer pure and simple. I am not a new school gamer nor an old school gamer just a gamer. That means I want to get my hands on as many good games as possible regardless of system or any other limitation. Sorry that I dont place emphesis on something as stupid as making sure the sound is as crystal clear as possible or that its fully orchestrated. Chrono Trigger and FFVI are still seen as having among the best sound tracks ever and guess what.....they didnt need orchestras or digital sound quality. So again sorry guys, sorry you have forgotten what it means to be a gamer. The DS puts off perfectly fine sound quality, yes it would be nice if it could be digital and orchestrated and blah blah freaking blah.....but its not and a good composer will work with the limitations and turn out something as the guys did with CT and FFVI. Hell I would say if anything these new big flashy audio and graphical capabilities are a crutch. I used to hum a long with half of the games I played....the Zelda tune is still in my dreams. Outside Persona 3 I cant recall the last time that happened in a game...and my guess is its because composers are worrying so much about making a fanciful dramatic "piece of art" that they are forgetting that really in a game something catchy that fits the mood is far more important.

*puts his PC on sleep and goes to play with his DS for game play not sound*

Bottom line, I want my RPGs on a console. Very rarely can I stand playing 50 hours of an RPG hunched over a tiny screen straining my beautiful blue eyes. For me it's all about being comfortable, and I'm very comfortable with my 40' DLP.

I'm still a little pissed about the next Suikoden & Valkyrie Profile being on the DS.

I'm gonna have to agree with Chac & Floods on this one.

DS is a great system, don't get me wrong. I love my DS Phat. I love playing RPGs that are suited for the system (as long as they don't have crappy stylus controls...I'm looking at you, TWEWY).

But every now and then, I want an RPG to entrall me like Persona 4 has done. If P4 were on the DS, I know I would not be playing it as much as I am on the PS2, simply because of eye strain, hand strain, neck strain, etc. I've plugged more than 50 hours into P4 so far, and playing on a DS for 50 hours = physical pain.

Also, I do like voice-overs (well, when the actors are good, I like them). The DS just can't handle extensive voiced dialog like a console can.

I wouldn't mind the series staying on the PS2 (I think Disgea 3 would have done much better on the PS2) however, I do want to see what Altus in "next-gen" is capable of.

Oh man, you just can't play the DS comfortably either - if you lay down with the DS above you, the blood leaves your hands, and sitting straight up and looking down at the DS hurts your neck after a while. And those buttons are too damned small. I honestly can't think of a single advantage to playing an RPG on the DS... particularly because I don't play games outside of the house.

[quote name='Chacrana']Oh man, you just can't play the DS comfortably either - if you lay down with the DS above you, the blood leaves your hands, and sitting straight up and looking down at the DS hurts your neck after a while. And those buttons are too damned small. I honestly can't think of a single advantage to playing an RPG on the DS... particularly because I don't play games outside of the house.[/quote]

This.

We never said anything about a game being on a better console was going to kill the gameplay.

Being on a DS means not comfortable, worse sound, worse graphics, less VA, less everything.

I don't play games while on the go so a DS is useless to me unless I want a neck cramp, or severe eye strain, or hand aches, or carpal tunnel, then Ill go play my DS.

PS2>DS

Its not that I want to limit the series nor that I want the series on the DS. I was simply defending the DS's capabilities saying its stupid to say they couldn't make a good game for the DS or that it wouldn't be AS good as other versions.

As I have already stated but as per so often people ignored me saying I vastly prefer the series to come to the PS2. Hell I would preffer the PS2, PSP and possibly even 360 over the DS. I was simply stating that the DS's hardware is certainly up to the job and went on a bit of a rant on gaming in general because I am tired of peoples attitudes towards it. As I stated people whine that the old days are better yet everyone has turned into a graphic/sound whore which is the opposite of the freaking old days. The problem is simply that most gamers have grown up and like most adults focus on their bitches in life vs the things they are happy with. As a kid you would be happy for a good game no matter which system it was on....I bet most people here sat and played games on the original game boys tiny green screen and were happy to.....now though......

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back