General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Its the best Square console RPG this generation.[/QUOTE]

Which serves as airtight evidence that Square-Enix is the biggest fuck-up this gen.

[quote name='Chacrana']Which serves as airtight evidence that Square-Enix is the biggest fuck-up this gen.[/quote]

Final Fantasy 13 will prove you wrong.

damn I gotta replay SH Covenent one day... one of the best RPG I ever played in my life.

awesome music, awesome characters, game is sooooo gooood

[quote name='JEKKI']damn I gotta replay SH Covenent one day... one of the best RPG I ever played in my life.

awesome music, awesome characters, game is sooooo gooood[/QUOTE]

Ya one of the best games last gen, sad its so underrated. What the hell made you bring it up though?

*note to self never type a message again before nail polish drys*

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ya one of the best games last gen, sad its so underrated. What the hell made you bring it up though?

*note to self never type a message again before nail polish drys*[/quote]
I guess he saw heavyd's last post. Anyway I should get around to finishing SH Covenent one day.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']2009.[/quote]

[quote name='willardhaven']An 86% average on Gamerankings is overrating Shadow Hearts Covenant if you ask me. The Judgment Ring was such a chore after a while.[/quote]

Shun the nonbeliever!

Just kidding

I loved the ring, although trying to get 5 attacks in took a bit of getting used to.

13 will be released in Japan next year.
There is already screen shoots and footage of the battle system.
They said they are in Alpha, and the game can be burned to a blu-ray and played on a ps3.
Square is just keeping this to its chest like most games.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']13 will be released in Japan next year.
There is already screen shoots and footage of the battle system.
They said they are in Alpha, and the game can be burned to a blu-ray and played on a ps3.
Square is just keeping this to its chest like most games.[/quote]
I'll believe it when I have MY copy is my hands. The US isn't getting 13 until the 360 version is done.

[quote name='Chacrana']Sure it might take longer, but with it on the 360, everyone has a chance to play it! Isn't that more important, guys?[/quote]
Of course, unless you were one of the people who brought a PS3 just for FF13.

[quote name='Rodimus']FF has become that series where I I'm like "Alright.. alright... I'll fucking buy it, just make it good this time."[/quote]

agree but i'd expand that to a lot of rpgs.

lately if it isn't from bethesda or bioware i can't get into it.

With most series I know what to expect. (Tales of.. SMT, Suikoden) but FF mixes it up so much it's hit or miss. I haven't truly loved a FF since 9.

I feel like Tales is more hit or miss... I loved Symphonia and what I played of Vesperia, but I couldn't stand stuff like Abyss.

I've felt like the FF series is pretty consistent in quality despite that it always changes things up. Well, except for 11 which was really boring.

[quote name='Rodimus']With most series I know what to expect. (Tales of.. SMT, Suikoden) but FF mixes it up so much it's hit or miss. I haven't truly loved a FF since 9.[/QUOTE]
Same for me except I haven't really liked a FF since 4.

Just beat Eternal Sonata last night and I liked it. My thumb is still sore because of the battle system but it's an enjoyable game all around. I give it a B.

Hopefully I'll get around to playing Eternal Sonata this year, if the price ever comes down and stays around $30 for the PS3 version.

I'm not really looking forward to any RPGs yet this year. I mean, yeah FF XIII "may" come this year, but even that I'm skeptical about and not really hyped for.

What RPGs is everyone really looking forward to this year??

White Knight Chronicles I guess. I'll be following the same pattern I've been doing for a couple years. Wait for a price drop on last year's games and enjoy. I'll be playing Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey over the next couple months so Valkyria Chronicles and Tales of Vesperia should be cheaper by then. That is if I play anything other than Street Fighter IV or Gears 2 after the middle of Feb.

I can't say I'm looking forward to White Knight Chronicles. Rogue Galaxy left a bad taste in my mouth... Thats about the only RPG I can think of coming out this year.

Looking forward to Arc Rise Fantasia and Star Ocean 4 mainly. Hopefully Fragile also if it comes over to NA.

Also, there's a Tales of Destiny Director's Cut fan-translation in the works.

on my way to finishing journey in FES. took me long enough, i'm in the final month and i fused all my broken persona, i have my armageddon duo and my item-farming messiah. don't think i'll be maxing s.links this runthrough, since i have lovers 10, aeon 2, empress 3, justice 3 with about 18 days left. i wanted messiah with morning star but the chance of getting orpheus with it is like, zero despite having two persona with morning star and victory cry.

kinda funny seeing how i used a tri-element mithra for most of the game (and i trained it every night too!) before blowing the doors off with surt / odin / siegfried. gonna spend time thinking about how to make individual element persona and an all physical one in case i don't feel like being too broken. for some reason i thought revolution only applied to the party, so i was like "why should i bother to keep apt pupil?" and i subsequently erased it from my siegfried. dang.

well, after this, i can finally start P4. i wanted to play mass effect but my 360 RRoDed, and then after that there's blue dragon.

i don't even know what's coming out in 2009.

not only that Front Mission 5 is also getting a translation patch.

Right now I am on Disc 4 in Lost Odyssey. Hope to finish that soon so I can finish Chrono Trigger (just beat Black Omen)

Looking forward to playing Sakura Taisen V soon.

I am most looking forward to a game/series thats frequently over looked! The new Mario and Luigi for the DS. The last one was a blast to play and very underated. I find that my attraction to RPGs that are turn based, especially those with random battles is slipping fast. I tried playing Digital Devil Saga recently and just lost interest before the game even really began. Some still do a good job holding my attention such as the Persona series....but most just cant keep my attention anymore.

M&L is one of those games that actually does because like Shadow Hearts the battle has some level of interaction + you can see the enemies on the world map/in dungeons and choose to avoid them. The puzzles also keep you on the same screen for the most part vs sending you back tracking across half a dungeon of random encounters because you didnt flip some stupid switch.

If you haven't played any of the M&L games, I strongly suggest playing the GBA version first, since, IMO, it is the better of the two.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I can't say I'm looking forward to White Knight Chronicles. Rogue Galaxy left a bad taste in my mouth... Thats about the only RPG I can think of coming out this year.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. Rogue Galaxy was a great game. Too bad it looks like ass on an HDTV. :/

[quote name='Chacrana']I feel like Tales is more hit or miss... I loved Symphonia and what I played of Vesperia, but I couldn't stand stuff like Abyss.

I've felt like the FF series is pretty consistent in quality despite that it always changes things up. Well, except for 11 which was really boring.[/QUOTE]

That makes absolutely no sense. ToV was basically TotA 1.5 in almost every way.

[quote name='62t']not only that Front Mission 5 is also getting a translation patch.

Right now I am on Disc 4 in Lost Odyssey. Hope to finish that soon so I can finish Chrono Trigger (just beat Black Omen)

Looking forward to playing Sakura Taisen V soon.[/QUOTE]

Just got to Disc 3.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']If you haven't played any of the M&L games, I strongly suggest playing the GBA version first, since, IMO, it is the better of the two.[/QUOTE]

Hell I say play them both.

[quote name='Moxio']That makes absolutely no sense. ToV was basically TotA 1.5 in almost every way.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe the battle system was. I hated the story, the characters, the environments, the visuals... pretty much everything in Abyss other than the battle system.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Has anyone played the .hack/GU series? I got some GS gift certificates for Christmas and I was thinking of picking them up.[/QUOTE]
I really liked them.

[quote name='Moxio']Incorrect. Rogue Galaxy was a great game. Too bad it looks like ass on an HDTV. :/.[/quote]
I wanted to like the game. I mean it looked great and the story seemed ok. But I hated the lack of control I had over my teammates AI. I just couldn't deal with my team asking me to do shit they should be able to do themselves.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Has anyone played the .hack/GU series? I got some GS gift certificates for Christmas and I was thinking of picking them up.[/quote]
I loved the first series(atleast the first 2 anyway... I loved the story enough to deal with the crap in 3 and 4). But I just couldn't get in to GU for some reason.

Like Chac I also didn't like Abyss but enjoyed ToV. Maybe I just didn't give Abyss a shot. I only played about 5 hours and quit.

I'm obsessed with P4. I just can't stop playing it.

I enjoyed what I played of Abyss. I was going to go back and finish it before ToV came out but I lost the memory card with my save... So that went out the window.

Speaking of Persona 4, I really need to get back to it before I forget about it. It's just hard to find the time to sit down and play it.

i finished P3, finally. despite that misstep when i killed my own guy with Morning Star when the boss used that reflect spell and i had to start all over. nice ending, although it seemed atypical...

[quote name='kainzero']i finished P3, finally. despite that misstep when i killed my own guy with Morning Star when the boss used that reflect spell and i had to start all over. nice ending, although it seemed atypical...

[quote name='Purple Flames']Has anyone played the .hack/GU series? I got some GS gift certificates for Christmas and I was thinking of picking them up.[/QUOTE]

The gameplay is good. Some hack/slash with dungeon crawling. As for story, I think it's downright awful. It's really hard to buy into the whole concept that the world is about to end and the only way I can stop you is by playing a MMO. If you apply any basic logic, shouldn't you search for real culprit in real world and arrest them ? It's ten times easier then fight them through a game. Persona 4 and Yugioh have similar story as well, but Persona 4 has TV and Yugioh has cards.

so i started P4 after finishing P3.

dang. they replaced all the blue with the yellow.

i like the story better, but that's because i'm a big fan of mysteries and it feels more focused... for now. also i like that one dude, yosuke, he does flips and stuff when he summons his persona, way cooler than the main character, he seems a lot cooler than stupei and akihiko.

the battle system seems a lot more calmed down, not as crazy as before, but i still don't like how your persona levels up slowly like in P3. if you're gonna use multiple persona, they should've made it easier to level them, like auto-growth 3 on them or SOMETHING. in P3 i hardly ever levelled any persona to max because i was always switching to adjust to weaknesses.

square button is top tier. game totally needed this.

soundtrack is nice. no more OOOOH YEAH DADADADADADA BABEH BABEH. don't get me wrong, P3 soundtrack was good too and i loved the final boss theme, but i also like the guitar influence here.

yeah
yayy =)

Tales of the Abyss was the most mediocre tales game ever.
Legindia was better.

.hack GU is awful, and so is the first part, its just made up advertising for their stupid show.

DDS seems so slow and boring, this shit better pick up fast or Im not even gonna play nocturne at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back